Amanda Fainted

Marty

If she's able to breathe and talk then oral glucose is fine. Better to track original glucose level when the fingerstick is next taken, because each tab has a specific amount of glucose. She was not in shock.

I thought you were a nurse UVP?

anything oral is slow active

you never give anyone oral anything if its a life threaten emergency

thats saving a life 101

by time oral glucose took affect she be dead if her glucose level was in a true critical range of lets say 40

doctors dont write orders for oral glucagon in emergecy they write d50 STAT

iv >oral meds in emergency

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've used oral glucose in emergency situations, while setting an IV or preparing for transport, we would put it under the tongue as the underpart of the tongue is fast absorbing. It worked in emergency situations. But I do indeed agree that oral medications do take significantly longer to work than say IV (flush/push/drip).

Okay so I've got this problem with my knee and :animated_rotfl:

with all these medical people here maybe I can save myself a copay!! :animated_scratchchin:

actually I appreciate the extensive knowledge you all have. I personally get a little light headed at the sight of blood and if someone heaves -- well I do to!

UVP Is right... In a hospital situation, the doctor wouldn't order any oral meds... I have also seen Paramedics bring people in that they have used oral meds on while in transport or before they started transport and they seemed fine...

UVP, I didn't know you were a nurse.
:afro: yep but right now i am looking for a career change

something that pays more and give you less stress

UVP Is right... In a hospital situation, the doctor wouldn't order any oral meds... I have also seen Paramedics bring people in that they have used oral meds on while in transport or before they started transport and they seemed fine...

She wasn't in a hospital was she when it happened? Was she conscious when she left...that's how I understood it.

Was she conscious and talking when she left...that is how I understood it, though I didn't see it?

What did the nurse do when she got to her...can someone tell me?

No kidding UVP that drs don't write orders for oral meds in life threatening situations. Usually someone in a life threatening situation is unconscious and it would be impossible for them to swallow. Wow, doesn't take a healthcare person to know that.

Come one UVP, you're a nurse. First ABC's, if she was conscious and a fingerstick was done (the nurse I'm sure had a glucometer) then there was no reason not to give her glucose tabs---it brings up the blood sugar level fast.

:marie: The glucose tablets work very fast for my hubby! So I can see Amanda getting out of the ER first. Allison was still complaining about her tongue even when she returned to the house.

I can see where Chelsia is trying to start something about Amanda faking it, because she hates Amanda so much. I really liked Chelsia the first couple of days, until I saw the real Chelsia come out! Boy! is she a hateful girl! jmho

:pixiedust:

I don't know what happened really, as I didn't see what happened after the cameras went off, so I have no idea if she was conscious when she got to the hospital or not, but it sure didn't look like she was too conscious when the cameras went off...

UVP

yep but right now i am looking for a career change

UVP.....maybe you should apply for the BB nurse gig...not too much stress, lots of eye candy and technically you only work 3 to 6 months a year. PLUS you can live in Sunny southern California.

Woo Hoo !!!

P.S. Kudos to James for stepping up and being there for Amanda. All the other "men" were running around like little girls with their skirts in a twist. :rolleyes:

P.S. Kudos to James for stepping up and being there for Amanda. All the other "men" were running around like little girls with their skirts in a twist. :rolleyes:

awh...c'mon kiddy...that's not really fair. Sure, James stepped up, but so did Alex and Ryan too...and besides, there was only so much that could be done...not like all 10 hg's were needed to participate. The tv recap of the event edited out what happened in between her fainting and the nurse coming out. More time had passed...some of the missing pieces are shown on youtube vids. It was Alex that went into the diary room to get help...but had trouble getting in there because the nurse was treating Allison...and Ryan went to hit the panic button...in storage room I believe.

I was impressed with the way they handled the situation...which totally caught them all off gaurd.

Well I think I shall join this...

I was a paramedic from the Christ system near Chicago. I can definately confirm in a hospital they do use oral meds for a hypoglycemic crisis. Often times they do that before going to harsher moves like using glucose in an IV because in some situations glucose can kill internal tissue if the IV isn't placed right....

on the other hand i have also seen D50 used...then again I won't pretend to be a genius when it comes to emergency medicine as my specialty was field work but I have seen it happen is all I was saying...In the experience I have seen I watched oral Glucose work in well under a few minutes as the underside of the tongue is absorbent....that being said uvp is right that an IVP is simply the best when ya need to get the job done right...

I've kind of enjoyed this trapse into my memory...thank you all

with that being said...yes she did lay it on when she returned

-Kyo

I completely agree with what you have said ILD and have said the same thing in previous posts, I too was a ff/medic. As far as James steppin up, he indeed did as well as Ry and Alex. James has retold some stories from the past and he seems to have been following a trend of steppin up. He told a story of how one of his buddies and himself were jumping off a building, (I believe that is what they were doing), and how his friend seriously got hurt the second time around and all of their buddies took off but he stayed until the medics/police got there. Kudos to James for stepping up and not bailing out and kudos to the rest of the HG's that did the same. It seemed t have affected James more greatly than the other HG's too, he couldn't sleep and he continually recanted how scared he was for her...

Archived