What Can We Do To Get Ready?

April

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light, as far as I know that hasn't been suggested... I don't mind helping out with the costs of running the board... I belong to another board (not BB related) that I pay a fee of $ 25.00 a year to view the members only section... I don't know the whole answer... I just know that without lurkers, we would NEVER have new members...Each and every member of this board at one time or another was a lurker... I mean even if you came here and read one thread and posted, you were still lurking until you became a member... My mom and a couple of good friends lurk here... Rarely do they post, but they have all either already donated or are going to very soon... It's just so expensive to run this kind of board and I just feel we, the readers of this board, should share that expense... I hope that makes sense... :animated_bouncy:

I am an Admin at a forum that uses the same software as Morty's. We have over 4000 members, of which there are probably 200 that are what we consider "active posters". From time to time, our membership will increase to about the same as is listed here, 8000.

When we get to the point where we have a drain on the bandwidth, we have a pruning, so to speak.... We delete the ones who have zero posts. Generally, we do this about twice a year. It frees up the bandwidth, makes the board run smoother and purges the rolls of people who aren't going to post or contribute.

Food for thought, anyhow.... :devilish:

I was a lurker on this site, but not for all that long. I tried other sites, but quite honestly this one was the ONE! I even got the feeds cause of here too. Now I never cancel superpass though, so can't donate that way. When next check comes in will have to send something in though :)

i liked it last year when morty stopped accepting any new memberships during bb... and made it so only members could view certain areas..

right? that did happen? or was that just an ambien side effect?

I think it also helps conserve bandwidth if we don't refresh the page over and over. If we each wait a few minutes before refreshing the page, it can help.

I don't want a members only area at all. I like having everything centralized & do not want to search around in different places to get info. Plus even the members area would be as slow as the rest of the board when it is overloaded.

Why not have Morty think up a minimum yearly donation amount. Each person who donates the minimum would get some sort of icon (MBE an HoH :animated_bouncy: ) under their name. That way folks who pay would get a little badge of honor so to speak :grin2:

I do like reading the boards especially Mortys board when I first got the Live FEEDS which was about two years ago I had heard Mortys mentioned and wanted to know what everyone was talking about among other sites... the Best one I have seen was Mortys board its easy to find thing on this site compared to all the other sites I have seen.. I don't post much cause I usually don't have much to say.. I am a quite person and sometimes shy so I don't post much but that doesn't mean that I read the boards.. I read the boards very regular.. and I must say mostly Mortys site... when I heard about bandwith which I didn't know existed... so i donated to Mortys.. Most people don't know much about bandwith.. maybe if someone lets people know and thanks to Yana I found out what bandwith was and that it takes a lot to run a board.. anyway thanks so much to Mortys for bringing such a beautiful site...

Good idea dumbblonde. That would help keep the site running and keep some of those out that don't really participate.

just make it members only. it doesnt take but a minute to register. if lurkers have a problem let them deal with it. the board runs way smoother when the board is members only. why must us members suffer to aplease lurkers makes no sense to me

well.... I can setting it to members when the traffic is high... but, visitors won't become members if they can't get in.. so maybe just post a message that when traffic is too high.. only members will gain access to the site.

I don't have a problem with the board going members-only, but only if visitors have the opportunity to register! If we block out the lurkers, but allow them to become actual members, I don't have a problem. But to say, "nope, we're done, you can't join," I don't like.

dumblonde, I do like your suggestion of people who donate having some sort of special marking or maybe making their username display in another color. However, I wouldn't like it if those members who donated got special privileges or anything.

Question: is the bandwidth for the main Morty's site and the forum different? If a bunch of people are visiting the main site, does it affect the forum as well? I thought they were different, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure either NunOwned... Maybe that's soemthing Morty or Jem could answer... I just know that the bandwidth is really expensive during BB...

Question: is the bandwidth for the main Morty's site and the forum different? If a bunch of people are visiting the main site, does it affect the forum as well? I thought they were different, but I'm not sure.

This year the boards and the main page will be hosted at different servers.

Thanks Jem... I think people just don't realize that the new server is going to be big bucks... I don't know the exact amount, but I know they cost lots and lots of money... Morty isn't making money off this site... It's here for our pleasure... I just hope that people will see that the load shouldn't be his alone... If you come here to read or post or both and you enjoy it, it might be time to donate...

I don't handle anything to do with site donations and I'm sure Morty will make a post explaining the servers as soon as he has the info. I should leave it at that, as I am not involved in that part of the site and don't have all the answers.

He'll make a post about any changes that are going to be made when he knows.

ok.. thats it.. i have had such a great time here on and off bb seasons.... its time to donate!!!! and as Morty says.. donate for the time you have spent here already... so well... thats a lot of time for me. heheheheheheeee

i think each year it gets better and better. there might be a few snags here and there... but it sure is better than it was a few years ago. cheers for another season of Big Brother and another season of spending it here, at Mortys!

This hasn't been mentioned before... so I thought I'd throw it out here once again.

During those high-peak moments when the feeds have been down for over an hour and everybody knows they're holding the POV contest, and everybody wants to know as soon as we know who won the Veto, Morty often has to close down the main site and just display a text-only page that says "Here's what's going on." because it takes too much bandwidth to load everything.

If all you're looking for is a quick-fix to find out who won POV or whatever, and you have AIM or AOL, please use the Morty's BB Bot that Dream created. It's screen name is MortysBBBot. Add it to your AIM/AOL buddy lists. When you just want to know who won the competition, send it an IM and it will tell you. April, Dream, and I are going to be updating it as soon as we can, so between the three of us, it should be pretty up-to-date throughout the summer.

So, please. If you're looking to find updates on who won what, use the AIM Bot if possible. Wait till all the hype cools down to come back and check the main page.

Archived