Salary Questions and Discussion

Guest michguy036

I know the HGs are paid $750 a week, with the winner and runner up receiving the BIG paycheck. But, is that for each week they remain in the house? Or, are they paid for each week even if they are evicted? In other words, do each HG get paid the same except for the winner and runner up?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it is they get it for each week they are in the house or in sequester... I could be wrong though...

I understand it the way Yana does, at least from the BB application site that Morty posted a link to last year. Here's a link to the application rules page of that site. http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother_ap...ion/rules.shtml

Scroll down to #5 where it says they only get paid while in the house. There's nothing about sequester that I can find, but I can't imagine that they're in the sequester house for free - I know I wouldn't want to away from my job (read that paycheck) for seven weeks after I had no possibility of winning the cash.

Guest ranster627
at least from the BB application site that Morty posted a link to last year.

Anyone have a link to it this year?

Guest Tareq's No1 Fan

While in the hosue, they get a 'wage' and during sequester, they get 'per diem', but usually it's all at the same rate - just differnt union mumbo-jumbo

I have met several reality has-beens and stars so that's from them

Guest HeartofDavid

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how they survive income wise while in the house. I mean I know they make $750 a week... but I would starve to death living on that. Most of them must have bills and houses and stuff to pay for. How do they stay afloat for the summer?

Just curious.

They get paid the lowest the screen actors guild lets them pay actors. They used to anyway. They get paid for each day they are in the house, for the day after when they make the talk show rounds, then for when they come back for the last episode.

edit:Also, when they are in the sequester house.

That's $3,000 a month. Not exactly chicken feed...

Guest HeartofDavid

hmmmm...... I couldn't survive on that.

I just wondered... I have always thought it would be cool to be on the show. Guess I wouldn't be able to afford it. LOL

That is the lowest that SAG will allow producers to pay them.

Guest Shockalot

I might be wrong but I think 36,000 a year would be considered a perfectly decent yearly income in the USA?

Rent 750 a month

Bills 750 a month.

1,500 left to live on.

Thats pretty good aint it?

I know I'd be happy with it for now.

Remember though, they don't get paid for a year, and they had to quit their jobs to do this. Most of them seem to have money anyways. Plastic surgery isn't cheap you know.

hmmmm......  I couldn't survive on that.   

I just wondered... I have always thought it would be cool to be on the show.  Guess I wouldn't be able to afford it. LOL

Well most of them are single and other than their rent they don't have to buy groceries, gas, utilities, recreational spending while staying in the BB house. Right there you save a lot of money. Those who are married I'm sure have spouses who work in order to go on the show so that $3000 is added income while they're gone. Plus I'm sure some get their vacation pay. So if you plan it out it's doable.

Well .. to give you an idea .. I take home about $770 every 2 weeks and I live just fine.

I am sure that I have had $750 a week I'd be just fine. :)

The cost of living is of course different in different places. But it's doable if you don't live in NYC or L.A.

It really depends on where they live. Seeing as how a mojority of these HG's live in FL, they have no state tax so that definately makes it easier. I also don;t think there is state tax in TX where ScottishTxn is (if I am wrong, please let me know), but here in VA, we pay $1600.00 on mortgage alone and that is cheap these days, other bills easily add up to $1,500.00, so the $3000.00 a month would just cover bills, it would not cover food or anything else. It expensive here!

But, from what I have seen and heard over the years of BB, many have money already and many have family members who are willing to help them out. Also, remember, that if any "Exits voluntarily" or walks out, they lose any money they would have received, so that is definately an added incentive to stay and put up with the BS. If these folks were all rich, they wouldn;t hesitate, but it seems that money does matter for the most of them.

Dep

I don't think they all quit their jobs, probably most of them don't. Some of these people are students, no job to quit there and school is optional in the summer. Most places will grant a leave of absence. We know Erics job is safe because as we all see by his actions here, he is indispensibe. As for the rest of them, if they are willing to give up their income to be on a TV show, they can either afford it or they dont give a crap anyway. Priorities, Priorities.

Ok I live in SC and $750.00 a week would be great (My hubby doesnt make that cause here in SC they dont believe in paying correctional officers anything) We make it good here with what he does make so If I were to go in the house we would be doing good with what hubby makes and then the money from BB. But hey if they cant make it on what BB pays them they should not have went on the show.

It really depends on where they live. Seeing as how a mojority of these HG's live in FL, they have no state tax so that definately makes it easier. I also don;t think there is state tax in TX where ScottishTxn is (if I am wrong, please let me know), but here in VA, we pay $1600.00 on mortgage alone and that is cheap these days, other bills easily add up to $1,500.00, so the $3000.00 a month would just cover bills, it would not cover food or anything else. It expensive here!

But, from what I have seen and heard over the years of BB, many have money already and many have family members who are willing to help them out. Also, remember, that if any "Exits voluntarily" or walks out, they lose any money they would have received, so that is definately an added incentive to stay and put up with the BS. If these folks were all rich, they wouldn;t hesitate, but it seems that money does matter for the most of them.

Dep

You said mortgage, but that's if they own a home. What if they all just rent apartments? How much is it then? And like someone else mentioned, the one's that live on their own wouldn't have to buy groceries or pay for using electricity or what not. I live in Canada, that is DOUBLE what I get a month and I have three kids and I do it, so I would definitly LOVE to go on BB for a summer. You know what, never paid attention to that kind of stuff before, I didn't know that they got paid to go on Big Brother.

Guest Shockalot

In Canada the average 'household' income is about 45K a year.

Now that is household and nowadays almost always both husband and wife have to work.

14.00 an hour would be considered a very decent wage here.

If you calculate that on 40hour work weeks that is about 500 a week.

None of this means much though because Im sure the economy and tax structures, cost of living etc is all different in the US.

Still, I think 750 a week is reasonable.

Having said that, think about how much CBS makes from the show.

They routinely pay professional actors FAR MORE money to star in lower rated sitcoms. So for CBS these guys are a total bargain.

Consider that Jun and ALison from BB4 were among the most watched, most recognisable two 'characters' on Television seen by more people for more minutes of airtime than most CBS actors could ever dream of - and they only cost CBS 550K

Thats next to nothing considering that any given 'Friend' was asking that for just ONE episode alone!

Im willing to bet CBS gets paid that much in commercial money per each episode alone!

Houseguests = Bargain lol

Guest HeartofDavid

Dep

Yea.. I guess you're right. Depends on where you live and your lifestyle. My mortgage with utilities alone is $3000.00, nevermind kids schooling, groceries, vehicles, clothes, bills and on and on.... I live in Vancouver (most expensive place to live in Canada)

I remember what it was like when I was younger. The thought of making like $500 a week was a big deal.. he he.

Guest HeartofDavid
how could one person not live on $750 a week? That's $18.75 and hour, i agree its not exactly chicken feed, you could make ends meet.

You're exactly right. You can make ends meet no matter what kind of income you make. I thought with more income it would mean more extra money... but you just spend what you have no matter what.