Salary Questions and Discussion

Guest michguy036

Guest michguy036

I would imagine most of us would love to get a crack to be on Big Brother. We would all have or strategies and plans. However I bet most of us couldn't afford to take up to 3 months off our jobs though. I have read the contract for BB, and nowhere does it say your missed wages will be replaced if you are on the show. Besides as we all know you can even make it down to the 3rd from the last voted out, and not get a penny. Not to mention if your employer would even grant you the time off. The short notice of interviews and meetings leading up to being accepted would not exactly be all fun and games either.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

It is my understanding they are paid a weekly appearance fee for as long as they are kept from their lives ... but how much and whether it is worth it is not something I can answer ...

Seems tae me that last couple seasons it was a bunch of wannabe models & TV (stars in their eyes) who gladly ditched their office digs for a chance at the bigtime!That and they prolly borrowed from mommy & daddy!

I actually read that it was $750 on Morty's BB page last season. I'd so bye bye to my job anyday to do the show and make that kind of money a week. I can't make that in a week now so i'd take it!

I make roughly that every 2 weeks -- so making it once a week would be nice. But not if I lost my job, and couldn't go back for sure .. cause after the show -- you'd want to go back to your job .. and what if your employers didn't like how you were represented on the show and thouht it reflected badly on them?

Yeah ... that's kinda risky. I mean I don't live in LA or some other big city .. so finding work is hard here.

I have a feeling thats why so many set off for Hollywood after the show .. nothing to go back to.

I wonder if any of the houseguests have been unwelcome at their previous jobs because of how they behaved in the house. I would imagine that would depend a lot on the type of job they had. But, as mentioned before, because so many are young wannabe actore and models, they don't have a solid career anyway. Nothing to lose!!!

I have always wondered about Heidi, from Survivor. She was a teacher, and took off all her clothes on TV. Didn't she also pose for Playboy? I wonder if she is still teaching.

Guest Numfar

To form the question another way, how many people could afford to pass up the opportunity for the experience of a lifetime, and a 1 in 12 (or 1 in 16) chance at a half-million dollars?

Lots of people with careers manage it for shows like Survivor (Lawyers, fire-fighters, etc). I understand that that is probably a 40 day commitment, rather than 100 days, but still - it has the potential to be a massive payoff. Add in the fact that you get $750/week to be on, and it's not a total wash even if you don't win.

I can't see how I could pass up the option, no matter what I was doing. Only family issues (someone is sick/needs help) could keep me out.

I wouldn't call $500,000 a MASSIVE payoff. Although, it IS a good chunk of change. They really need to make that amount $1,000,000, don't you think?

I'm not sure that everybody would see it as a chance of a lifetime either. Being subject to ridicule on a by the minute basis doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me.

Guest Numfar

I guess that it's completely subjective, but I suggest most folks would see $500,000 a pretty substantial payoff for 3 months work. That works out to $2 million annual salary -which is the low end of professional athletics pay, and I dare say 'massive' to most folk.

Of course, I'm in Canada, so I immediately tack 25 per cent on to that number too -which helps.

As for the opportunity vs. by-the-minute scrutiny - that's a good point. Presumably most people who would be in a position of balancing applying to be on the show vs. whether they could afford to take the time off of work would have already made the decision that they could/would gladly/grudgingly endure the scrutiny to have the opportunity, so I figure that point - though interesting - is not on point for this particular issue.

Also, I may be naive here, but most of us, I think, are fairly normal - at least when compared to the freak-of-the-week, wanna-be-famous feckers they have been casting lately on BB, so having a camera on us might prove boring, and we might catch flack for the odd nose-pick or belch, but it's not like any of (most of?) us are going to OD on NyQuil, build a tin hat and talk to aliens, hold a knife to someone's throat or fake cancer to get ahead in the game.

People would likely hate me, but then, so what? I don't know them, and I would be on tele, which would be a neat experience, to be sure. So what do I care about what others think? As long as I didn't get a celebrity stalker (terribly unlikely) and my car/house didn't get egged routinely, I could live with the fleeting anti-fame of being a disliked BB character. The badness probably rubs off rather fast.

• 4 weeks later...

i also recall from this site last year, reading that the threat of a 'deduction' in pay is what keeps them from just tossing off their microphones or deciding to eat other food when they are supposed to just eat pb and j.

dana ate candy, robert ate something i forget what ..

and I have a question .. does the winner of BB get their weekly pay and the grand prize? or just the grand prize.. cause that's at least another 9,000 bucks (roughly) if they're there for 12 weeks..