This is why BB can manipulate the challenges..

cindyannie

In my honest opinion, it is not a real game show but the general public doesn't understand that as their fascination with Big Brother ends when the credits roll with each episode. If I am correct, Big Brother (unlike Survivor) is not even classed as a gameshow with the FCC. I believe it falls under the catagory of "soap opera". If the producers did manipulate things today, it should be no surprise. They have done so many, many times before along with interview and strategy coaching in the confines of the Diary Room.

BB can do whatever it wants. So if you suspect they are messing with challenges they probably are.

I agree that CBS can manipulate challenges, because we all know they manipulated the voting over which houseguests were accepted into the house.

However..... I've read that the SOV 6 feels CBS manipulated the POV competition. While I did not see it yet, it sounds to me like it was a fair competition.

If you are going to classify yourself as an "ALLSTAR"... then you have to show America how badly you want to win POV. To give up right from the start and not eat a bowl of slop? (Will) That's pathetic.

To shave your head for the comp..... shows you have passion for the game. (Hmmm....I remember Marcellas and gang talking about Uchenna and Joyce, during the head shaving ritual.... was BB listening and did they steal this idea??)

Clearly Chicken George was pretty passionate about saving his butt in the game and he will pay the price for it by eating slop all his remaining days in the house. I respect CG for that.

JMHO

BUT.....at the same time it was VERY manipulative of CBS to have one of the things in the competition be that you can NOT play for veto next week. When they put in that, they KNEW the HOH would 100% have to drop out of the Veto competition.

Any HOH would have to be a MORON to put themself in a situation where they could not compete for either HOH or POV the following week. You might as well put a sign on your back that says "vote me out".

THAT is what James was pissed about. They effectively made it impossible for anyone who was HOH and NOT an idiot to have any chance at defending their nominations.

I also find it very hard to BELIEVE that if all the games were decided in ADVANCE and when they would be played were decided in ADVANCE............that the week CG was up would just COINCIDENTALLY happen to be the week when the POV competition that he would be SURE to win was scheduled to be played. You are MORE likely to be hit by LIGHTNING that to have THAT kind of coincidental luck.

OBVIOUSLY, CBS decides WHEN and WHICH competition to play based on who is up and what CBS wants to happen...................

..............THEREFORE, as stated earlier.........BB CANNOT be classified as a game show with the FCC. If it was and they manipulated the competitions like they do......they would be in serious trouble, just like the game show that got in trouble in the 1960's that caused a huge scandal and Congressional hearings. I believe THAT was on CBS as well. Maybe they didn't learn from their mistakes then.

Makes you wonder what ELSE on the show is STAGED and FAKE.................

According to The Communication Act, Title 47, Section 509, a game show is a " bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance."

So one could argue that Big Brother doesnt fit into this definition. However when the exec producer appeared on housecalls last year and a caller suggested they make the final vote america's choice he claimed he couldnt change the rules of the game they were regulated by the FCC.

If he comes back to housecalls this season it would be a good question to ask. Are the competitions set prior to the houseguest entering the house.

I think its highly probable that Big Brother manipulates which challenges are chosen depending on whose up and which way the wind blows. The shows in other countries have Big Brother playing a far more overt role than the one here. I have no problem with how they insinuate themselves into the game. (except when it negatively affects one of my favorites. :D )

i see folks are starting to come around :)

I don't know how it CAN be classified as a soap opera. BB is a reality show, I thought soap operas by definition were scripted , with fictional characters. It's not really a "game show" either, but I'd call it a competitive reality show. It would fall into the same category as Survivor and "Beauty and the Geek".

i think that cbs is out to make money, and they will do WHATEVER it takes to keep people watching so they can make money! ie, Kaysar comming back last year!

These people in the house must realize that by now! The only reason networks ait shows is to make money!!

I read this from John Powell on Canoe.ca on slam/bigbrother, he has in depth knowledge of BB and has talked to the producers many times. You can go read his stuff he does a daily transcript of the goings on in the house. He has historically been very critical of the manipulations they do year after year.

A better question would be, where does he get his information from?

And I might be wrong, but I thought all the FCC had to agree to is the comps being held, not the order they are done in. So to a point I think that CBS can 'mold' the show based on when they choose to have certian comps. But even they can't rig the contest or 'fix' a winner. And they're stuck with whomever actually wins the contest.

They may think for instance that a certian comp favors a certian house guest when they set it up, only to be completely surprised by who actually wins. And that is just how it works out.

OK, I have seen more than my share of soap operas in my day and there are a few things that have not happened on Big Brother that would definitely need to occur before it could be classified as a soap opera. First of all, Nakomis did NOT sleep with her brother. Second, no one has been cloned (that I know of) :huh: Third, no one has been stood up at the altar by their future spouse only to turn around and marry their future brother/sister-in-law. I don't think anyone in the house is dying from some unheard of mysterious disease ( they all have to pass medical tests before entering). And I don't believe anyone has been kidnapped and is being held against their will (except maybe Dr. Will - but he CAN walk out if he deems that to be an absolute necessity). So, as far as I can tell, Big Brother is just your average, everyday, people-locked-in-a-house, reality show :lol:

Just a thought :huh:

I say it was done in the Library with the Rope by Colonel Mustard.......... :blink:

According to the CBS honcho on HC last year, they cannot manipulate competitions because it is considered a gameshow.

Soap operas don't give cash prizes

Soap opera characters don't play themselves.

That being said, there is plenty of manipulation allowed to make for "good tv" so long as it can't be construed as affecting the outcome for a specific contestant. Ways they can manipulate:

• vary the challenges to benefit physical players one week, mental players the next week and so on. They did this last year which is why it seemed the sov and the sheep took turns winning HOH. It wasn't designed to benefit one side or the other - just to vary the TYPE of player to win.
  • Ask leading questions in the Diary Room and elsewhere that push right up against but not cross the line of telling who is allied with whom.
  • Even if there already is a camera on them, they can move more cameras to zoom in on conspiring HGs thus tipping off others that discussion is going on.
  • They can manipulate who's in the cast to cause friction, a balance of power, physical -v- mental strength, etc.
  • they can switch up who rooms with whom just to cause some fireworks
  • they can control what is broadcast and what is not thus swaying public opinion. Janie and Marcy looked really mean to people who hadn't seen the whole Radford Place convo.

The thing I find suspicious is that the 3 "extra" POV players were apparently chosen NOT by the wheel, as they were last time, but by pulling balls with the players' names out of a bag.

It does seem unlikely (the odds against it are 37-to-5) that not one of the 3 names pulled would be a female's. I'd like to KNOW how many balls were in the bag (apparently it wasn't visible to the players.)

I agree that CBS can manipulate challenges, because we all know they manipulated the voting over which houseguests were accepted into the house. ~Jackie~

Hi Jackie

Could you please post a link as to where you have found proof that CBS manipulated the votes in some way? I have heard lot's of people complain that this was the case because they didn't like the results, but I have yet to see anyone who can prove this. Would appreciate the backup to go with the accusation.

And BB is classified as a Reality/Game Show and does fall under FCC guidelines. My understanding of shows like BB, Survivor, etc is that they come up with all of the competitions beforehand, but the order can be changed. But they are monitored and watched and have to be done following certain guidelines that the FCC has set forth. A representative of the FCC can choose to be present at any challenge if they so desire.

This same argument about BB fixing things and doing things that aren't legal comes up every season. If they were doing something illegal, they would have been busted back during season 2.

But, it does give people something to theorize about, so feel free to keep running with it. Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory. :)

Dep

Search for "CBS leak" - it's a site showing CBS' original thoughts about who might be on BB7 - and SOME of them are labelled in a way which implies they're in no matter what (e.g., one for a female not in the 20 said she was "in if she wanted to be" - but apparently she didn't want to be.)

The ACTUAL list was released weeks later and it matched the leaked list 100%. So it seems likely that the notations on the leaked list are valid.

Archived