Ivette being a racist

RishiBoy

I don't have a problem with people trying to learn things about other cultures but I do think it is odd that Shockalot is so dead set that it is appropriate to use the word just because some rappers and commedians use it.

I can understand why some people esp outside of the US have a hard time understanding why the word shouldnt be used.

I live in a community which is prodominetly african american and you cant listen to a conversation among the younger crowd without hearing that word used 1000 times. Its part of everyday slang. altho not being of african american decent If i was to walk outside and use that word I would be given 1000 nasty looks.

My husband however is quite popular with the older teens in the neigborhood (we own a cell phone store and they are very popular now a days) if he was to use the word in context of saying friend, buddy, dude etc... people wouldnt think twice about it.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slippery Slope argument as you present it= fallacy of logic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Free speech is all well and good, but standards of decency must be kept in mind also. If ABC, NBC, or CBS decided one day it was going to give a KKK member 3 hours of airtime a week, it has the right to do that. But it won't, because people will excercise their right to complain, and stop watching.

falacy of logic? try illogical like you saying the networks won't give air time to kkk they have and do

Guest chyron1

Haven't you ever put your foot in your mouth when you were really just interested in finding out about a different culture.

No I've never done that...largely because a chatroom is NOT where I'd try to find information on a different culture, and any reasonable person wouldn't do that either. If I want to do research, I know where to start, and Mortys TV, com is NOT it. I'm not going to elaborate further on the *sequence* of posts, I know what they are, what was said and when. I speculate that he just doesn't care how that word offends other people, and in reading his last post, the idiot assumes a lot of things that are just not true. I meanwhile assume he's just another stupid yammering moron who deserves no more of my time.

Guest dancingfool

I still don't understand n saying n but not letting non-n say n. And I live in the US.

That being said, I still won't call them n to their face because that would just be stupid.

I don't understand anything about black culture... glorifying "pimps", glorifying breaking the law and disrespecting elders and all that... Whatever, you wonder why nobody respects you.

Guest chyron1
I don't understand anything about black culture... glorifying "pimps", glorifying breaking the law and disrespecting elders and all that...  Whatever, you wonder why nobody respects you.

Yeah I'm sure that's what Condaleesa Rice and Colin Powell talk about all the time...pimps and hoes. They call each other *that* name, and just laugh and laugh. YOU should really join them sometimes, you'd get a hoot out of it.

Guest Baby Boo
That being said' date=' I still won't call them n's to their face because that would just be stupid.quote']

So its ok to say racial slurs as long as you don't say them to someones face? Then Ivette is totally courteous and respectful. In my opinion if yu can't say something to the persons face then you shouldn't say it period.

I still don't understand "n" saying "n" but not letting non-n say n.  And I live in the US.

That being said, I still won't call them n's to their face because that would just be stupid.

I don't understand anything about black culture... glorifying "pimps", glorifying breaking the law and disrespecting elders and all that...  Whatever, you wonder why nobody respects you.

What an approriate moniker, especially the 'fool' part... :roll:

I guess you have proven my point, the people that use that hateful word indiscriminately are either stupid, ignorant or racist, take your pick.

Guest Shockalot
A word is just a word, but the meaning behind the way it's used shows when it's acceptable and when it's not.

Thank God for some common sense!

Again:

A word is just a word, but the meaning behind the way it's used shows when it's acceptable and when it's not.

Where have you been JFetch.

Thank you.

Guest sara-is-hot

GREAT POINT!

Bourbon wrote:

"Some content may not be suitable for users under 21. You agree that we shall have no liability whatsoever relating to the Content and you waive any claims you may have, now or in the future, against us relating to the Content."

You read this when you signed up for the live feeds did you not? This means there is probably going to be some offensive material in those feeds. Complain to CBS all you want, they'll point you towards the "contract" you entered into when you signed up for the feeds, and send you on your merry little Layman way.

But don't let me (or common sense) keep you from wasting your copious amounts of time.

Guest sara-is-hot
And Big Brother the TV show is regulated by the FCC. Which is why you haven't heard the cursing and the like on the TV show. And that you idiot is what I've been talking about...the TV show...which I have said over and over again. There would not be an internet feed, if there wasn't a BB television show. Can you wrap you pee brain around that? Wow! Are you really this stupid or are you just joking?

LOL You still cant even figure out how to use the quote tab and you insult others intelligence? That is classic. :)

Hey who turns on your computer for you? LOL

a chatroom is NOT where I'd try to find information on a different culture, and any reasonable person wouldn't do that either.

Okay, I just have to point out that 'assume' and 'speculate' are precisely the right words to use to describe your personal opinion of Shockalot, because the thrust of your argument of why he is an 'idiot' and a 'moron' is that he is because you are reasonable and he is not. That's circular logic.

Note: I Personally prefer asking people for information before conducting research into a topic because nobody can possibly know everything there is to know about everything. You can potentially save yourself hours of time by getting an answer to your question from people who have already conducted that research and have synthesized the information into basic issues and conclusions. How is that not reasonable?

Guest chyron1
[ How is that not reasonable?

It's not reasonable because no reasonable person would try to find credible information about a different culture in a Big Brother chatroom. That doesn't even remotely sound feasible. You go to a Big Brother chatroom to talk about the houseguests and the show.

Guest Baby Boo

sara-is-hot

I agree that it is in no way illegal for people to say racist comments on the internet. That does not mean that it is a waste of time for people to tell CBS that they do not think that they should give someone like Ivette a sounding board for such comments. It would also not be censorship if they took her off the show, but when they cut to the fishes right after these comments that is censoring what people see. This also would not be impeding on her freedom of speach. She can still say as many racist comments as she wishes, just not under the sponsorship of the network. I know I am repeating myself but you continue to use these arguments that I don't see as valid.

Guest chyron1
I know I am repeating myself but you continue to use these arguments that I don't see as valid.

No Baby Boo, there are people here that think it is no big deal to spread racism around and try to hide behind Free Speech. The *N* word is just another word, don't give it power some people say, while others resent it because they know their great great grandfather probably heard that word as his *last* word while being strung up a tree. But hey...it's no big deal. I half expect there to be jokes soon about the Jews and the holocaust, the *master race*, Aryans, aren't they better than any other race? I mean it's Free Speech so it's protected right? But for all the people that think otherwise, there would be NO internet feed if there wasn't a TV show called Big Brother, which IS governed by the FCC. Please explain that fact to Sara. Many people prefer not to hear the *N*word, please explain that to the idiot that calls himself shockalot, and also remind him this IS a chatroom, not the best place to start his research about the origins of a word. And tell the moron, if this was a test, he would have flunked, because he was wrong.

Guest BigSister

Did anyone else here Ivette tonight talk about Muslems like Kaysar talking people to strap bombs on their backs and blow inocent peolple up...then it went to FISH

This was in the HOH room and she said "I'm going to say something bad, I'm going to say something bad, but I'm going to do it anyway.

CBS...Kick her ass off!!!!

If someone says something that offends you, don't talk to them anymore. If the HGs say something that offends you, don't watch the show. The problem with the internet feed is we get to see people the way they really are. Some people are really like this. We can't change the way they are by hiding it. There is a reason we won't see these comments they make on CBS.

When Ivette or anyone else that acts that way leave the house, they will realize that they were being racist. Trust me, they will see the comments on the internet, or have people confront them on the street. They can't change until they realize what they did. I'm glad people are outraged by the comments she and others have made, but we can't hide it because it might make some of us realize some of the things we say are crossing the line.

One of the great things about this show is we think about how we would act in the same situation, and more importantly how we shouldn't act in our everyday lives.

Guest Baby Boo
Did anyone else here Ivette tonight talk about Muslems like Kaysar talking people to strap bombs on their backs and blow inocent peolple up...then it went to FISH

This was in the HOH room and she said "I'm going to say something bad, I'm going to say something bad, but I'm going to do it anyway.

CBS...Kick her ass off!!!!

Agree!!! or else quit editing her parts to make her seem less horrible so all the viewers can see what kind of person she is. Hopefuly the public outcry would cause them to give her a penalty nomination, since it doesn't look like they will do it on their own.

If someone says something that offends you, don't talk to them anymore. If the HGs say something that offends you, don't watch the show. The problem with the internet feed is we get to see people the way they really are. Some people are really like this. We can't change the way they are by hiding it. There is a reason we won't see these comments they make on CBS. 

When Ivette or anyone else that acts that way leave the house, they will realize that they were being racist. Trust me, they will see the comments on the internet, or have people confront them on the street. They can't change until they realize what they did. I'm glad people are outraged by the comments she and others have made, but we can't hide it because it might make some of us realize some of the things we say are crossing the line.

One of the great things about this show is we think about how we would act in the same situation, and more importantly how we shouldn't act in our everyday lives.

I completely agree with what you said.. that's why we have the internet feeds.

And i'm not really complaining, if i were, i'd send an email to CBS and not post here, but my post here is to let people that don't have live feeds know what this girl does and saids in the unedited live feeds.

It's a good CBS doesn't show this stuff on tv, i can gurantee CBS if they showed that, they would be in so much crap BB6 would have to be cancelled immediately, but the whole world will know that these type of people exist..

Guest Shockalot

Its probably not offensive to Americans in here if they were to be called 'Yanks'.

Does it become highly offensive if you know its cockney-rhyming slang version isf 'Yank Yank Septic Tank' as in 'Full of shit'?

Now what if you find out the user did not know that either and thought it was a term of affection?

Like Canuck?

But what if they later find out 'Canuck' was actually fairly derogatory in the way it was used.

But what if the 'Yank' never knew that anyway and also thought it was endearing.

Like JFetch said. The word itself is nothing but a vocal sound in itself. Its the intention of the user that tells you whether to be offended or not.

Ok.

Guest chyron1
If someone says something that offends you, don't talk to them anymore. If the HGs say something that offends you, don't watch the show.

No, the person should write CBS and the producers of Big Brother and express how they feel. If nobody expressed how they felt, how would CBS know? If enough people write and voice their complaints, and threaten not to watch a show that showcases racist attitudes and people, then the producers of the show will not cast an *Ivette* type in future shows. That is what *focus* groups do and why they have focus groups.

CBS doesn't know what type of people these are.

They won't know Ivette is racist and makes fun of people's religions during their casting, because they WANT to get on the show, and she knows that those type of things are bad for TV and are offensive, so she's not going to do those things no matter how many tests they run on her.

its just common sense. i think the best way is probably to get a replacement HG or leave the things they are... afterall, shes the one being embarrased not us nor cbs.

No, the person should write CBS and the producers of Big Brother and express how they feel. If nobody expressed how they felt, how would CBS know? If enough people write and voice their complaints, and threaten not to watch a show that showcases racist attitudes and people, then the producers of the show will not cast an *Ivette* type in future shows. That is what *focus* groups do and why they have focus groups.

Do you think people go to the audition being racist? I doubt they knew she was like this before the show started. The CBS TV show and the feeds are different things. The feeds are there to show us how people really are. Why do you think there are never HGs that have watched the live feeds? They want them to act like they usually do, and see how different personalities react to each other.

I know I am repeating myself but you continue to use these arguments that I don't see as valid.

No Baby Boo, there are people here that think it is no big deal to spread racism around and try to hide behind Free Speech. The *N* word is just another word, don't give it power some people say, while others resent it because they know their great great grandfather probably heard that word as his *last* word while being strung up a tree. But hey...it's no big deal. I half expect there to be jokes soon about the Jews and the holocaust, the *master race*, Aryans, aren't they better than any other race? I mean it's Free Speech so it's protected right? But for all the people that think otherwise, there would be NO internet feed if there wasn't a TV show called Big Brother, which IS governed by the FCC. Please explain that fact to Sara. Many people prefer not to hear the *N*word, please explain that to the idiot that calls himself shockalot, and also remind him this IS a chatroom, not the best place to start his research about the origins of a word. And tell the moron, if this was a test, he would have flunked, because he was wrong.

Maybe you should drop the discussion on this subject. If this is not a place for Shockolot to learn, then it is also not a place for chyron1 to teach. Please note that I am using the word "teach" loosely here. And, if possible, please refrain from calling me names.