Celebrity Big Brother Racism/bullying

I don't know if anyone else was familiar with what went down in England's Celebrity Big Brother, but to make a long story short, there was a huge scandal involving one contestant, Shilpa Shetty, being bullied by three or four other contestants. The bullying never went beyond screaming and yelling, but it was enough to ruin the careers of three of the "celebrities" and set a fire under reporters everywhere. It made international news. And since then, the producers of the show have been warned to never allow what happened at CBB to happen again.

The reason I am bringing this up is because CBS and Dick had better be careful. It's bad enough the show carries the same name as the English version, but to have another case of bullying would not be good for us as fans, if the show was canceled. Australia's version had a big scandal about two years ago over sexual abuse.

I have complained to CBS, making sure they are aware that Dick needs to be warned not to take his bullying of Jen any further. Regardless of whether we like or hate Jen, what he is doing is wrong. He needs to back off. And CBS and the producers of Big Brother need to step up and tell him, because the other houseguests appear terrified of him. I started off liking Dick and hating Jen, but through his treatment of her, the feelings are reversed. I hate to see anyone insulted, shouted at, made fun of, and have drinks poured over their heads. How old is Dick again?

What Marty is trying to say is. They have all had a heated discussion about this topic (or Dick not really this topic) yesterday. To the point I had to do some "moderating"

ahh explains why I didn't see it. I saw the topic on whether dick should be kicked off or not, but didn't know if anyone had discussed the UK version and what's been done with it.

they never did either. in fact, there was actually only one fight with shilpa. most of what they said was behind her back. Dick has done more to Jen than they did to her and look what happened. It was also not just racism, it was the bullying that had everyone upset. the constant making fun of her accent or her looks, which is EXACTLY what Dick has been doing.

I remember on the news all they talked about was them making fun of her religion or race or whatever. The bullying is part of the game, and always has been.

from wiki:

This sparked widespread anger and demonstrations in India, where the alleged racism was reported on the news, and led Big Brother's main sponsor Carphone Warehouse to suspend its sponsorship of the show.

I don't believe bullying is part of the game. intimidation might be, but not bullying. you cross the line when you do harm to another person physically, even if it involves a glass of iced tea being pured over your head. On the Real World Las Angeles David was kicked out of the house for pulling a blanket off of Tami.

The bullying that got the whole situation in the spotlight was a fight between Jade Goody and Shilpa, where Jade screamed and shouted at Shilpa. Nothing was said of her race or religion in the fight, it was just Jade screaming at Shilpa about acting like she is a princess. Things like Dick says to Jen.

that is a matter of opinion. There are so many hypotheticals we could throw in. We live in a country where someone can sue someone else for bodily harm by throwing a glass at the wall and a piece of the glass goes in the person's hair.

What is funny is that Dick makes fun of Jen for the person he believes she is, something he doesn't like. If she were someone of color or different nationality, it would be called racism. As it is, it's bullying.

an ex NFL player

For some reason I thought Nick didn't play in the NFL... I thought it was football out of the US... Shurgs... Shows what I know LOL...

i

t didn't harm her physically.........

Why is this excuse used so often?

Why is it so hard to understand that some mental abuse can last much, much longer than some physical abuse, often a lifetime. For example, if a woman or man is constantly put down by a spouse, daily, for years, that can have a life long effect on that person which often can only be treated with medication and therapy.

Mental abuse can leave permanent emotional scarring on many people so this excuse that "hey, it's not physical" is baseless.

I wonder how Jen felt cornered by Nick cursing and yelling at her, while Dick floats through dumps on her and then takes his verbal shots. I can't believe it wasn't unsettling and that Jen wasn't frightened by the experience.

I hate bullies and hope someone steps up in his face soon. Don't think it's happening though unless it was Nick cause Eric is all talk and Zach is well I don't know about Zach. Maybe the ladies and Dustin will have the courage. I'd love someone to get in his face.

"Im sure theyre gonna let their voices be heard once he steps back in reality"

My concern in situations like this is if the person being verbally attacked is not a 'popular' character on the show(in this case Jen, and it's my opinion that to this point in the show she is not popular), then the attack is viewed as humorous, both in the house and by those viewing the show. It reminds me of Howie on BB6 when his attack on April was seen by many as funny, part of the game, she had it coming... and he became a fan favorite after the show. I found it interesting when he tried the same tactic during BB7/Allstars towards Mike(not that Mike was a popular character), and his act fell flat and he "got to stepin' " Many people commented on the message boards that they were a fan of Howie during BB6, but not during BB7/Allstars.

When BB6 ended, I found it disturbing to hear the Sov6 do interviews and joke around with fans who were still impressed specifically with "Hurricane Howie". It would bother me(not that I would lose sleep over it lol) if Dick left the show and was greeted by fans congratulating him for his profanity laced tirades towards Jen.

I was a fan of Dick at the start of the show. His behavior over the last week has made it difficult for me to say that still.

i find it more disturbing that there are those out there wishing harm to Dick for what he has done.

soooo lets get this straight.. he verbally taunts Jen, therefore he should be expelled out of BB and then beat up out on the streets by a stranger? hey, while we are at it, lets toss everyone in the house out for not standing up and saying "ENOUGH"!

and while we toss pickles at them all, maybe the harassment IN HERE can stop! enough already! everyone has their opinions, so why so many lectures? we are all adults and i think the majority that post here are Female.. i think the females can fend for themselves and need no lecturing on what kind of abuse is out there..

ENOUGH!!! sAng_scream.gif

not you bear.. not you..

i want someone to say that to him too! trust me, i want someone in that house to stand up and tell him ENOUGH. and while they are at it, i want them to tell him and Nick and eric that the C word is NOT nice.

now excuse me while i go back to the "take a breath" thread! sFun_banghead.gif

Guest junwyld

sextype your post said it best. fizzle can you exactly pinpoint a post in this thread that wants ppl to harm dick physically? havent read anything like that in here.

to be honest with you, there are several threads which have been beating a dead horse over the subject..... i have spent way too much time already reading all of them..... its all so over ya know!

welcome to mortys btw. hope you have a pleasant stay.. :naughty:

Guest junwyld

ok. ill have to look through some of them. i just didnt read anything like that in this thread. and thanx for the welcome :animated_wave:

Archived