Dixie Chicks

salter-path

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dixie_chicks7.jpg
Dixie Chicks Highlights and Appearances

Larry King Live

Saturday, June 3 ~ The Dixie Chicks ~ CNN ~ 9 p.m.

Encore Interview: The Dixie Chicks
Encore Presentation (R 5/31/06)
The Dixie Chicks are back on the music charts and they're "Not Ready to Make Nice." Making no apologies, this controversial trio joins Larry for the hour to talk about their no-nonsense return following a three-year absence. The Dixie Chicks are "Taking the Long Way" for a lively hour on "Larry King Live."

The defiant and outspoken Dixie Chicks in their first live prime-time interview since they set fans off by taking on the president. Now, they're taking him on in the music that has them topping the charts. Tune in on Saturday at 9 p.m. ET.

Encore Presentation (R 4/5/06)
squbluex.gifsquprplx.gifsqubluex.gif
(guests may be subject to last minute changes)

• 2 weeks later...
dixie_chicks7.jpg

MSN Concert Webcast

Thursday, June 15 ~ The Dixie Chicks ~ MSN ~ 10 p.m.

MSN will broadcast the Dixie Chicks' first concert appearance in over two years -- in London on Thursday, June 15 -- to a worldwide audience at Dixie Chicks London Concert. The sold-out concert at Shepherds Bush Empire, the same location of lead singer Natalie Maines' now infamous words, will be the group's first concert webcast and is part of their partnership with MSN Video for delivering content and a more detailed, intimate glimpse into their world. The performance, which will be captured by numerous digital film cameras, will be broadcast at 10 p.m. EDT on June 15 and adjusted globally in different time zones to better accommodate viewers from around the world.

• 4 months later...
dixie_chicks7.jpg

Dixie Chicks TV Appearances
  • Dixie Chicks was slated to appear on "Oprah" on Wednesday, October 25, to talk about the documentary film, "Shut Up & Sing," but Oprah's Web site lists Madonna appearing that day to talk about her controversial adoption making tabloid headlines. I'll do my best to keep Dixie Chicks fans updated to the correct date.

• Additional TV appearances will be featured next week including "Good Morning America" on Thursday, October 26 and the "Charlie Rose Show" on PBS (airtime and date to be announced), and there will also be various stories showing up on the entertainment news shows after the October 24 film premiere in New York.

• "Shut Up & Sing" will open in theaters in New York City and Los Angeles on Friday, October 27. The film will open in additional major North American cities on November 10 with a wider release date to follow.

• "VH1 Storytellers: Dixie Chicks" will premiere on October 28th . . . on VH1 of course.

• Dixie Chicks are scheduled to perform on the "American Music Awards" on November 21.
Dixie Chicks Touring News
  • The fall North American leg of the Accidents & Accusations Tour kicks off on October 27 in Ottawa and moves across Canada and the U.S. through December 5 in Dallas. If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, check out the tour page at Dixie Chicks for all the info or at Dixie Chicks On Tour.

• Dixie Chicks and the Accidents & Accusations tour are doing their part to prevent more global warming. Dixie Chicks have joined forces with Conversation International to make their entire 2006 tour carbon neutral. For any CO2 put out into the environment by the touring vehicles, airplanes, fans driving to and from the concerts, etc. the Dixie Chicks will donate money to protect enough rainforest to neutralize the damage done to the environment. To calculate your own carbon footprint and to find out more about how you can prevent global warming, check out the personal carbon calculator and learn more at Conservation.
Dixie Chicks Other News
  • On November 14, an expanded edition of "Taking the Long Way" will be released that includes the full studio album and a bonus DVD featuring interviews with the Dixie Chicks and producer Rick Rubin, several live clips and the video for "Not Ready to Make Nice"

• Dixie Chicks are included on the just-released DVD: "James Taylor: MusicCares Person of the Year Tribute." Honoring Taylor's contributions to the world of music and his philanthropic efforts, the event DVD includes performances of James Taylor songs by Taylor, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Keith Urban, Alison Krauss and others. Dixie Chicks and James Taylor perform "Shower the People."

dixie_chicks7.jpg
Dixie Chicks Television Appearances

oprah_logo250x175.jpg
The Oprah Winfrey Show

Wednesday, October 25
Controversial Women . . . Madonna and The Dixie Chicks Speak Out! (PG)
You've read the headlines, heard the rumors and seen the photos. Now, for the first time Madonna speaks out about the controversial adoption making tabloid headlines. Hear her side of story on the adoption controversy.

Plus, the concert that sparked an international controversy! The Dixie Chicks discuss the notorious comment, the backlash, the boycotts, the death threat -- The Dixie Chicks are talking about it all! Also, they'll talk about their upcoming documentary film, "Shut Up & Sing."

larry_king216x175.jpgLarryKingLive216x175.jpg
(Topics are subject to last minute change. Guests are announced on a daily basis.)
Larry King Live

Wednesday, October 25
Dixie Chicks Tell All!
The always-outspoken Dixie Chicks on the price they paid for speaking out about the president. Tune in on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET.

squbluex.gifsquprplx.gifsqubluex.gif
(guests may be subject to last minute changes)

SCRebel, if you don't like them, then I can respect that but do us all a favor and read another thread. I see no need in calling anyone names for displaying their democratic right to voice their opinion. This country girl stands behind their music and their politics. However, even if I didn't, it wouldn't stop me from listening to their amazing talents.

For instance, I adore Reba McEntire and Toby Keith and I don't support their politics at all. Yet, I, for one, can appreciate their talent and still respect the difference in our opinions. I listen to their incredible music and do my best to respect our difference of opinion of world and current events.

For those who have asked me to keep them posted on Dixie Chicks news, I will continue to do so. I invite all other posters to begin threads of your own favorite artists or celebrities and keep the fans posted on your favorite artists. It's a big wonderful world of differences and let's celebrate them all!

For me, I don't mind that the Dixie Chicks have a political opinion . . . everyone is entitled to one. I did not like that they saw fit to blast their president on foreign soil. That is just really distasteful to me. And I don't like when any celebrity gives their opinion in a way that does not give the rest of the room the opportunity to give theirs. That's not only distasteful, it's cowardly. What makes them think their opinion deserves more attention than any one elses?

Since we can't seem to stay tuned to their music talents, I'll just say that it's THEIR President too and freedom of speech is what I thought was one of the basic fundamental rights of ALL Americans so like them or don't like them, I will defend everyone's right to say what they want.

However, I don't see anyone boycotting or aiming death threats at Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel, Craig Ferguson, Bill Maher or any other popular (or unpopular) comedian who says MUCH worse on a daily basis at OUR president in their monologues.

So, why should 12 little words of a less venomous nature cause such an uproar? She didn't call him a liar or stupid like most comedians do in their stand-up routines. She merely said that she was ashamed that he was from Texas. So, I'm just asking for the comment to be treated on an equal playing field as the hateful and often harsh jokes that the President endures from much more vocal entertainers.

Now, back to their music and their television appearances. They will be featured this Saturday on VH1's "Storytellers." Check your local listings for the time in your area. For those who can't separate their music and their politics, I recommend alternative television programming. (LOL) Just trying to keep it light and friendly.

First of all, Bill Maher has taken flak and lost a lot of fans over his comment that the 911 terrorists were brave and that our military are cowards. As far as the other late night comedians you mention, political humor or satire as been around for years. That is entirely different from what the Dixie Chicks did.

Since apparently, we aren't letting it die, let's beat a dead horse. I'll bite. How is that different? In fact, what the comedians do is MUCH MUCH worse! They call our president ignorant and a liar. They portray him as a drunk and totally incompetent. Some have even called him a criminal. How is that less objectionable? I find that FAR more offensive and disrespectful.

So how is saying only 12 words any worse? The only thing Natalie said was "We're ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas." I think that stating her vague opinion is a lot 'kinder and gentler' than what the poor president has to endure on a daily basis from comedians and liberal political pundits.

The same freedom of speech that supports those who criticize the president for humor or political fodder is the same freedom that gives the Dixie Chicks the right to say what they did and our lively debate here. Can we all just agree that freedom of speech is a good thing and concentrate on their musical talents? Just throwing out an olive branch for peace.

Hey, jersey! I'm more jealous of the fact that you come from the same great state that gave us Jon Bon Jovi! Love him!! Love the Jersey boys!

Political satire is a joke... that's way different. Plus Bill Maher's fans are all liberals anyway whereas the fans the Dixie Chicks used to have were mostly conservative country listeners. I don't get all the whining with the Dixie Chicks... there's consequences for your actions. They have the legal right to say what they want and people have the legal right to burn their albums and not buy their records. As the President said, they shouldn't feel bad because people don't want to listen to their music anymore.

Well, surprise . . . surprise . . . still no discussion about their music. So, to answer your ongoing diatribe. Political satire is one thing but a lot of the political pundits and comedians have called the president a criminal, a liar, a drunk and downright evil. This isn't satire. It's just disrespectful. I'm not focusing on Bill Maher. You are. I happen to adore Bill Maher but I also happen to support free speech.

I've heard many talk about impeaching the president and even some have suggested him to be a war criminal but that's okay? I find a basic flaw in the degree of those statements compared to the vague criticism done by only one of The Dixie Chicks. They've only become political now that ridiculous people have resorted to death threats and personal attacks.

The Dixie Chicks as well as Reba and Toby Keith have fans from all sort of political associations so let's not categorize ALL country fans as conservative. I find burning anything such as our flag, books or records rather senseless and inflammatory (pun intended). However, don't buy their records, don't listen to their music, don't read this thread. It's all your right but please allow others who feel differently to exercise their free speech as well.

Also, all Natalie said was that she was ashamed that the president was from Texas. What's the big deal in that? Again, I find it much more disrespectful to call him derogatory names that tears down his character. It's called a lesson in degree. I just don't see how the comparison is equal or fair.

Also, The Dixie Chicks didn't make that statement across networks to millions of people every single night. If the media hadn't picked up the silly story, it would have only been to one concert going group of our allies on one night. Whereas, the comedians and political pundits tear apart the office of the president on a daily basis reaching countless of people over much larger territory on a continual basis.

So, unless we want to take the dead horse and now lead it to drink, I think we all get it. You hate The Dixie Chicks. I don't. I liked their music before and I continue to support their musical career. I liked Reba's music before she took potshots at The Dixie Chicks on an award show and I continue to support her music career as well.

In the end, it's about the music for me. As long as they keep making music I enjoy, I'll keep listening to my favorite artists . . . no matter what their politics are. Now, once again, I ATTEMPT to return the thread and discussion to the MUSIC . . . they will be featured on VH1's "Storytellers" this Saturday for those who can separate their music from their politics. Enjoy!

I'm not really even a country music fan. I just happen to like what I like, and I like the Chicks. Love their new CD, including Not Ready to Make Nice. I also love a lot of their older music, such as Cowboy, Take Me Away, Goodbye Earl, and a number of other songs. I happen to agree with their political views, but if I didn't I would still like their music.

I believe the words to "Not ready to make nice" are brilliant and a beautiful response to the people that seem to be looking for a reason to hate them.

"I made by bed, and I sleep like a baby,

With no regrets and I don't mind saying,

It's a sad sad story

That a mother will teach her daughter

that she ought to hate a perfect stranger.

And how in the world

Can the words that I said

Send somebody so over the edge

That they'd write me a letter

Saying that I better shut up and sing

Or my life will be over"

I'm not willing to hate a I don't know based on that single sentence. Our country was founded on freedom, and it is their right to say that. I can respect that. I really don't see why what they said is this big of a deal.

I'll take a tacky, disrespectful and rude chick over a dumbass, cokehead, alcoholic, hypocrite President any day of the week.

Archived