Video Editors Screwed Ivette

Synnovea

You know, it wouldn't have bothered me either way, if Ivette had looked sad or happy when all the remaining all-stars were left to go home, but upon watching the episode on DVR again, I saw something that just irritated the hell out of me - especially given that there was a thread about Ivette's face here earlier this week. Basically they spliced in a moment of her waiting for the announcement of who was going in, her face all nervous and somber as something that was occurring AFTER the houseguests were all chosen. In fact, Ivette was smiling, waving and congratulating them all during that time. The look they spliced in was completely bogus, and not at all Ivette being a poor sport. She was a very good sport about it all.

So anyways, I just figured I'd give people a heads up and set the record straight on that little manuever.

I dunno, if I get a moment I'll go back in and look and post whether it was only done to her or not. I can't explain why it irked me as much as it did, but I felt like it was adding a bit of insult onto injury.

That's just the thing, Crackers - Ivette wasn't looking disappointed, that was what they edited in. Here is exactly the shot:

Ivette smiling, waving and clapping - two second splice that was IDENTICLE to the splice of her when she was waiting for the results with everyone else looking the same way she was - back to her smiling waving and clapping in exactly the same position and direction she was.

It was editting, not Ivette.

Synnovea are you a friend or are you realated to Ivette? Anyway I did feel bad for Ivette and Cowboy whatever the deal was I could see they were sad.

Marty, no, I explained why I posted it. I don't like being manipulated by CBS into thinking something that isn't the case. That's also why I tend to enjoy the live feeds over the show. I've heard before that the diary rooms are pretty well spliced and mutilated into telling some narrative that CBS has cooked up, but this is the first time I saw a blatant 'blooper' of such.

So in order to watch it, I have to like it? If anything, it just reminds me to keep a close eye on the moments that they are clearly trying to portray people and their emotions or feelings on things. I'm well aware (as I noted before) that this happens, but this is one of the more blatant bloopers that I have seen of them doing it.

Bottom line is reality TV is made to tell a story, not depict reality. Everyone hates Ivette, so CBS is going to do everything they can to give the viewers what they want, a pissed of Ivette.

Truth be told, this happens ALL the time in reality shows.

I heard someone being interviewed about their spot on "the restaurant", where the chef told a bad joke, and then it cut to the person looking really annoyed at the joke, when they actually politely laughed at the joke. They had taken footage from a completely different point in the evening and spliced it in to make a better story line.

On the apprentice, they are always taking random footage of people crying and putting it in all over the place to make the candidates look like emotional basketcases.

Another prime example is "the contender", a boxing reality show. The first two matches both looked on the show like real nail biters going into the last round. It looked like the score was tied. But if you go and pull the vegas score cards, they were both blow-outs.

CBS edited the entire episode to make it seem like the ones who didn't get in were disappointed. If you watch there is clearly clapping going on when they were showing the supposed "disappointed" faces, then the next shot would show the person chosen walking toward Julie and the supposed "disappointed" people were clapping and smiling. They even edited the tape to make it seem like people were anxious in between Julie calling out names - same thing. Not saying they weren't disappointed not to get in, but the editing as always blew things out of proportion.

i noticed terrible editing several times during the show

not just with ivette, but with cowboy and some others too

i only watched it live and do have it taped...i bet i see even more if i watch it again...

to me it was very obvious...my 15 yr old even mentioned it while we were watching

cbs is notorious for their editing

i would not even watch bb AT ALL if it weren't for the live feeds

at this point however, i am NOT sure that we are watching LIVE feeds

the only thing that will convince me is the day they go straight from the show to the feeds with no break

if they even do that this year

Eli, how is it embarassing? They are 20 people chosen for All-stars out of 6 combined seasons of up to 14 people each. That's a lot of people. And before that, they were presumably 20 out of thousands that tried to get on the show.

To be clear here, I am hardly complimentary of Ivette or Cowboy and looking at my past posts can pretty much attest to that. I do, however, think that it's important to notice and point out when obvious attempts at manipulating the viewing public are being made - and this was one of those times.

I neve thought I'd say this, but I'm really disapointed Ivette didn't get in!

She was the most interesting member of the nerd-herd last year, and it would have been interesting to see where her alliances lay in the All Stars house - would she team up with her BB6 rivals - or would she be leading the battle to get them out?

You don't say? A network manipulating audience emotions??

Wow, how novel.

Don't ever watch a soap opera, CSI, a movie of the week, presidential elections, the nightly news, or any other television if you don't want your emotions manipulated.

I agree with the poster who said just throw your TV into the trash.

I don't really think what CBS did (er...does) is manipulation, creative editing maybe, but not manipulation.

If CBS producers had told them thier family members had all died in a horrible plane crash and they their dogs had been run over by a truck, then spliced that reaction into the show. They I'd say yes, they manipulated the situation. But they just showed their initial reactions to not getting in, while Chicken George did. Then they the close ups when it was more appropriate. Maybe before the show even started, the producers told them to pack light.

But in real reality, Ivette was disappointed and Cowboy was on the verge of tears because they didn't get into the house. I'm sure they were happy (or at least faked it) for the other contestants, but they both probably wanted to prove that they could play the game better and possibly win. I mean, they're only human. Seeming as how when they both came out 2nd place winner, they were bombarded with "You didn't deserve what you got"-type responses. Boards all over dogged the hell out of both of them. And they both thought the same thing at the same time..."Hey, I made out with $50,000, I did well!"

Brekkie, I'm with you, I would rather have someone like Ivette and Monica in the house rather than Erika and Diane. Although I liked E & D in their seasons, they're about as exciting as the chairs around the table. I think Ivette and Monica (possible Dana whom I adored) would have helped Danielle stir the pot or helped put a stop to it...or chopped Howie in the mouth...or body slammed Booger over the backyard wall. Either way, it would be more ON than it is now. Oh well.

I have no sympathy for Ivette. She & the rest of the nerdherd blamed editing for why America hates them. If, indeed, the editors manipulated what we saw, then I thank them. Ivette's crushed face was my favorite moment of Thursday's show.

Archived