was it just dehydration

Stargazer

Wrote this in another thread but thought it deemed it's own topic..........

I am not about to dispute the fact that both competitions were grueling & that the guys were definitely dehydrated. But I also questioned the fact whether the 4 of them ate or drank something bad. Remember when they stopped to pick up food and water before the big hike, some of them started eating. BobbyJon looked sick to me early on. Not one of the people on the other tribe got sick. Also, if you watched next week's previews, Blake is really sick again. I also wondered whether the barbs from that tree branch were poisonous or if he is just getting an infection from the punctures. Any thoughts??

Tina

I think it was just dehydration. On a normal day in an average climate, the body loses 2.5 liters of water. In a hot climate like they were in, with the additions of the physical activity and stress (yes, stress can cause dehydration as well), then the body can lose as much as 2.5 liters of water per hour........that is more than the human body has the capacity to absorb. Even if they would have had a fountain of water, they would have still become dehydrated due to their environmental conditions.

I'm wondering if they were trying to conserve water......in addition to the already damaging factor of not being able to absorb as much as their body was exhausting. You would think the nurse of the tribe would have spoken up. What they lost was far greater than what they gained. Losing only 3% of your body's water will lead to a 10% decrease in strength and an 8% decrease in speed. Losing 4.5% of your body's water can lead to a 30% decrease in your body's overall performance. This showed in the Immunity challenge. They were still weak. I really don't see it as worth risking the teams overall strength and health just to get the best camp. I was dumbfounded that the nurse didn't speak up. She knew better......or should have. Maybe she was afraid that taking on that type of leadership role would get her voted out. Either way, it did cost that team a member. I was even more dumbfounded that they didn't call a medic in there.....maybe they did and it was edited out, but Bobby Jon was showing signs of SEVERE dehydration. Thats not something to play with.

Phisiologically, men will lose more water than women. We are about 2/3's water. Men generally have a greater surface area on which they can sweat......thus leading to more water loss. That probably explains why no women were affected. As far as the other team.......we don't know how well they paced themselves, how much water they drank, what different type of terrain they encountered, etc.

I don't think it was food related or else the women would have gotten sick as well. As far as the thorns being poisonous.....that was my first thought. It is a possibility. I'm sure they have medics check things out when they get too bad......like they did that year when so-in-so fell in they fire and they removed him from the game because his hands were burnt. They just don't show the "general" medical care on TV. Wouldn't give the appearance of a true "survivor" if they did.....lol

I just read an interview from Jim and he said that Judd gave them tainted water... Well, his words were bad water... Here's the quote from Jim

Jim: The whole sickness thing just really