Supernatural

mikede

FROM TV GUIDE: The Insider

Supernatural Aims for Superbig Scares

by Matt Webb Mitovich

I remember this one time, when I was baby-sitting for a couple down the street, I started getting these scary phone calls. I reported the calls to the phone company and they told me they were originating from inside the very house! What, you don't believe me? OK, did I ever tell you about the time an escaped mental patient came at me and my date with his hooked hand? WB's Supernatural, premiering tonight at 9 pm/ET, takes its lead from such urban legends and adds a whole lot of scariness, as brothers Dean and Sam Winchester

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Supernatural

What a relief to return to solid spook tales this week. I was getting tired of the Emilio Estevez clone brother, complete with smirks reminiscent of The Breakfast Club, along with the permanent adolescence of the spirit-chasing brothers. I was also becoming a bit vexed by the ease with which these boy-child siblings were able every week to impersonate individuals unchallenged. And their briefcase of bogus credentials was hard to swallow, particularly since they both look like 16 year-olds.

This week, finally, they follow a case without the helpful clues of their elusive dad (who, by the way, is the deceased husband in Showtime's Weeds. Both are shown only in flashback). Daddy's trail is now stone cold, but they still choose to investigate a mysterious drowning (not the first to occur in the region they visit). Finally, these brothers are driven by principles and passion, not the and disappointing dad hunt. This is the first time we witness the duo investigating an inexplicable and supernatural case without the ulterior motive of finding their father. Like organized crime, ghost-hunting is in the blood and, clearly, it is impossible to break free. This creepy lake tale reminded me of the original Friday the 13th and kept me on the edge of my seat to the very end of the hour. And, like all good mysteries, the answer is in the eye of the beholder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Supernatural

A repeat from early in the season, but since I hadn't seen it, it was new to me

Supernatural

Tonight's rerun was way better than last night's in my book because shape-shifters are way cooler than creepy little kids. And in my case, much less nightmare inducing. Especially since this particular shape-shifter took the form of Jensen Ackles. Two of Jensen isn't all that bad, even if one of them is really evil. I was a little skeeved out when he shed his skin and lost all his teeth and all that. Ewww. My biggest issue about this show is the fact that these two brothers on their hunting expeditions are constantly forced to have to invent alibis. Couldn't they just register for PI licenses or something? Maybe that happens in one of the later episodes that I haven't seen yet? Oh, and did I mention there were two Jensen Ackles? That's bound to give me sweet dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Jensen Ackles Eyes a Super Second Half

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060110insider1.jpg

Jensen Ackles, Supernatural

When last we tuned in to WB's freshman frightfest, Supernatural, bogeyman-busting brothers Dean and Sam Winchester had fended off the insanity of an old, shuttered asylum only to come home to a phone call from their perpetually MIA father. The action picks up right from that instant with this week's new episode (airing tonight at 9 pm/ET). Jensen Ackles, who plays Dean, shared with TVGuide.com a preview.

TVGuide.com: Were you happy when Supernatural got picked up for a full season so early on?

Jensen Ackles: Yeah, it's always a crapshoot with the whole television thing in general, so the fact that we had a nice little buzz and had the powers-that-be pushing for us gave us the confidence we needed to move ahead and put us in the frame of mind we needed to be in for the remainder of the season.

TVGuide.com: Especially since there is so much mythology to delve into. You must have been like, "This could be a really awesome show if...."

Ackles: If we get the right support and it's done right. And so far, I think everybody has made every effort they can to really get this show off and running the way we all want it to be.

TVGuide.com: I have to wonder, does it get lonely being just you and Jared [Padalecki, Sam] in every damn episode? Do you corner the writers and go, "Can't we get a bartender buddy or something?"

Ackles: [Laughs] Oh, trust me. When [Warner Bros. Television president] Peter Roth and I had dinner about a month ago, he said, "So, the show's doing really, really good, everybody's really happy.... How do you think we can make the show great?" "Add. More. Characters." is the first thing I said. [Laughs] But that's what we signed on for

Supernatural

Six weeks. Six weeks! That's how long WB made us wait to find out if that really was Big Daddy Winchester on the phone. Not to mention whether or not his truly, spectacularly hot sons were going to have to throw down over what happened at the asylum. Cruel? Yes. But I can forgive easily when the show brings it with some juicy brotherly dysfunction. The plethora of issues plaguing Sam and Dean are a big part of the reason why this is my favorite new show of the season. Sure, the town sacrificing couples to a scarecrow is creepy. Using the Cigarette-Smoking Man from The X-Files as a professor who helps nab Dean was a great casting move. But the whole bro breakup and then makeup is what really entertained me. Talk about uncomfortable! Dean all blindly following their dad's orders (the dad who ditched him, by the way). And Sam all focusing in on tracking down his paranormal-chasing-pops so he can find the thing that killed his mom and his girlfriend. But you know, Sam and Dean aren't the same without each other. Dean just isn't as good at the whole dealing-with-people thing. Sam didn't seem the same either

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLO

Question: Oh, Great Ausiello: Can you give us some Supernatural spoilers?

Supernatural

So this Supernatural could've used more... cowbell. Sam and Dean's brush with the evil preacher's wife and the nasty reaper meant it was the perfect opportunity to dust off Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper." The episode also could've used more Dean-is-dying angst. He went from zapped to lying on his deathbed to healed in the first 15 minutes of the show. I mean, come on. How 'bout stretchin' it out for another episode or two? Or at the very least giving us a couple over-the-top chick-flick moments before the blind preacher man did his healing thing? But Dean stayed true to character as the nonbeliever and struggled with why he was chosen over those he felt were worthier. Like Buffy and Angel alum Julie Benz. She played Layla, the girl of the week who had the inoperable brain tumor. Here's the thing: Layla was nice. Part of me couldn't help imagining that at some point she would Darla out and turn Dean into the hottest vampire ever.

I thought Jared Padalecki (Sam) did a great job playing the younger brother protecting his older brother and making sure his sibling lived to see another day. Loved this Dean line: "Have you ever really watched daytime TV? It's terrible." I find it awesome because Jensen Ackles (Dean) used to play pretty Eric Brady on Days of our Lives back in the '90s. Speaking of Jensen: He really got me at the end when he realized Layla still had faith even though she knew she was going to die. And I loved the preacher man telling Dean he saved him because he has a purpose, a job to do. Which tells me both Sam and Dean have some sort of destiny to deal with. Can't wait to find out what it is.

12:00 AM, 19-JANUARY-06

Courtesy of: SCI FI WIRE

Supernatural Gets The Girl

aycox_supernatural_tn.jpg

Jensen Ackles, who co-stars with Jared Padalecki in The WB's scary series Supernatural, told SCI FI Wire that the show will be adding a new recurring female character in the second half of the first season. "The character of Meg, played by Nicki Aycox, she's going to be coming back and doing some stuff," Ackles said in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif. "That's going to be a really interesting multiple storyline, a nice little arc there. ... We're planting some nice seeds for some good arcs."

In the recent episode "Scarecrow," Aycox (Jeepers Creepers II, Over There) first made an appearance as a hitchhiker who makes a connection with Padalecki's Sam Winchester. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that Meg is more than meets the eye.

In a separate interview, Padalecki said that "Scarecrow" is one of his favorite episodes of the series so far, and he's looking forward to Meg's return. "She's a new recurring character, " Padalecki said. "She's back and trying to cause more trouble." Supernatural airs on The WB Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Supernatural

Don't even get me started on the fact that after a six-week hiatus and only two original episodes, WB

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Will Supernatural Live to See CW?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060131insider2a.jpg

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, Supernatural

Make no mistake, it's show time for those ghoul-bustin' brothers on WB's Supernatural (Tuesdays at 9 pm/ET). Although well touted by fans and many critics, the dark li'l series now needs to prove itself more than ever in light of the announcement that come September, both WB and UPN will give up the ghost and be replaced by CW, a new channel offering the "best of" the two sixth networks. Do Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles' Sam and Dean have what it takes to make the cut? All eyes are on the back half of Supernatural's freshman season, which promises to scare up many more surprises and revelations pertaining to the series' mythology.

"We've already tackled the Hook Man, Bloody Mary and the Phantom Traveler," recounts Padalecki. "But there are still a great deal more spooky, unexplained urban legends that we are planning to explore."

For one

Supernatural

So, I'm technically what doctors call a scaredy cat, but this week's killer truck? Not that scary. Sam and Dean took on a souped-up murdering machine that was responsible for killing Dean's African-American ex-girlfriend's father. Well, not just the truck, but also the spirit of its racist owner, forcing the boys to dig deep into the town's troubled history. We're used to all the inexplicable stuff that goes down on this show, right? In fact, that's what Supernatural's all about. But the most unrealistic thing happened: We were supposed to buy that a girl actually willingly broke up with Dean. Come on! In what universe? But Cassie got smart real fast, 'cause she got him into bed but quick. (Yes, there was a shirtless Dean sighting. Down, girls.) However, she got stupid again when she told him she doesn't see much hope for them. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That '70s Show's Megalyn Echikunwoke played lucky, lucky Cassie, while Passions' Kathleen Noone played her mom. Nice to see you out of the old-lady wig and frumpy frocks, Mrs. Wallace! The Dean-Cassie stuff had its moments, but my favorite parts of this "Route 666" episode happen to be my favorite parts just about every week: the Sam and Dean moments. Dean was vulnerable, observant Sam was highly amused by this and let his big bro know, making Dean one uncomfortable dude. And were the young Winchesters wearing the suits from "Phantom Traveler?" (Yes, I'm geeky enough over this show to know the titles of all the episodes. Shut up.) And finally, a drinking game: Take a swig whenever Sam and/or Dean says a variation of some situation is "not our kind of thing." I'm just saying, it happens about every other week.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

WB SHAKES THINGS UP: To hell with waiting for CW. WB has gone ahead and announced several mid-season schedule changes, including the oft-predicted relocation of Supernatural to Thursdays at 9 pm/ET, where it will follow Smallville (beginning Mar. 16). Other moves: Everwood resurfaces on Mar. 20 with a two-hour episode before returning to its original Mondays-after-7th Heaven time slot; the new sex-obsessed drama The Bedford Diaries will debut on Mar. 22 at 9 pm, following One Tree Hill; and Rebecca Romijn's Pepper Dennis will premiere Apr. 4 at 9 pm, after Gilmore Girls.

Supernatural

Sam's visions are no longer happening in his sleep

Supernatural

Last week Sam and Dean posed as hot priests. This week they become hot Minnesota state cops in order to track down some decidedly unsupernatural kidnappers. And that's what I liked about this particular episode: The brothers are lookin' for something that can't be explained when, in reality, the crimes are being committed by human monsters who capture men, let them loose, then hunt and kill them. To borrow a quote from an earlier Supernatural, these psycho-nut hillbillies are "nine kinds of crazy." OK, is there anything better than Dean in full-on big-brother mode? After Sam gets taken, we get plenty of scenes with Dean being all lost and/or protective and/or vulnerable and/or ready to kick some serious ass. Sometimes all of the above at once. As for Sam, first I was upset because in the bar he acted like such a wet blanket. Instead of sticking around for another drink, he just wanted to go to bed so they could get an early start the next day. Whatever, dude. Thankfully, he redeemed himself at the end when he went all sexy commando guy on the hillbillyjoesuebobs who had taken him captive. Jessica Steen played the deputy with a soft spot for Dean and his situation. I know her best from her stint on the short-lived (but awesome) sci-fi series Earth 2. Other highlights: too many good Dean lines to print. The lady deputy gets her revenge when she offs Deliverance Dad. Sam kids Dean about getting sidelined by a little girl. And Dean tells Sam never to go missing again. So cute. And I don't know about you, but I cannot wait for the next episode. One thing, though: Why do we have to wait two weeks?

• 2 weeks later...

Supernatural

Eric Kripke, I have one simple request: Will you please write every single Supernatural episode? I'm just saying, you penned the amazing pilot

The last Eppy was a really good Eppy.. I did hate the fact that they seem to be making that hunk of mine Dean not seem as quick witted as Sam and well that makes me ill.. So you mean to tell me they never went to check on the chicks body to make sure it was there? The dad didn't go over when he saw it come out of the window and check for a pulse?I just dont see them being that sloppy...

SupernaturalA

This happens to be the second time in four days I'm catching "Scarecrow." Last weekend I went to an event held at the Directors Guild in Los Angeles to find out what the cast and crew had to say about this show I've grown quite fond of. It was all part of the William S. Paley Television Festival, which the Museum of Television & Radio presents every year. Creator Eric Kripke chose to screen "Scarecrow" because it has so many great elements, like the spooky monster-of-the-week, dysfunctional drama, some nice comedic touches and the introduction of one of the big bads

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Airing Thursdays at 9 p.m.

03/01 - Episode 1.17 - Hell House [Airing April 6]: Sam and Dean pose as reporters. A group of teenagers explore a local haunted house, where supposedly a single father hung his six daughters during the Depression. But when the leader exposes their terrible find as an intended hoax, the brothers wonder how a prank story became truth. A website lures thrillseekers to the house. The brothers try to use it to spread misinformation and ultimately pull pranks of their own.

03/07 - Episode 1.18 - Something Wicked: Summoned by their father to face something he once failed to kill, Sam wonders how their father could ever leave a job unfinished while Dean evades his questions. Dean tries to help a fellow big brother by killing their little brothers' attacker. Flashbacks show Dean was a soldier to John's orders even as a child. He envied Sam's na

• 2 weeks later...

Supernatural

This repeat was just on four weeks ago. I'm not complaining (too much). I'm just saying, if you're going to show a repeat, there should be some sort of rule where the episode has to be at least two months old. Thankfully, I love "Shadow." Jensen and Jared in the alarm-company costumes