apprentice_logo_RBG.jpg

Candidate

pic_randal.jpg

hdr_randal.jpg

Hometown: Somerset, New Jersey

Current Application Status:

[ X ] Active ~ [ X ] Hired ~ [ X ] Fired

Bio

Randal, 34, is the founder, president and CEO of his fifth venture "BCT Partners," a multi-million dollar management, technology and policy consulting firm based in Newark, New Jersey, that works with corporations, government agencies, philanthropic and nonprofit organizations. Born in Philadelphia and raised in Hightstown, N.J., he holds five academic degrees in engineering, business and technology including a B.S. from Rutgers University, an M.S. from the University of Oxford in England as a Rhodes Scholar, and an M.S., M.B.A. and Ph.D. from MIT.

A former college championship track and field athlete, he has received numerous awards for his accomplishments as an entrepreneur and technologist including the National Society of Black Engineers "National Member of the Year." A Leadership New Jersey Fellow and Next Generation Leadership Fellow, Randal has been featured by Black Enterprise magazine and Ebony magazine in their "30 Leaders of the Future" issue. He is a proud member of First Baptist Church in Somerset, New Jersey, where he resides and is happily married to his wife Zahara.

Up Close

What is your favorite music?

R&B, soul, hip-hop, and reggae. But, above all, I love slow jams!

What are your favorite books?

"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

"From the Browder File: 22 Essays on the African American Experience" by Anthony T. Browder

"Why Should White Guys Have All the Fun" by Reginald Lewis with Blair S. Walker

"How to Succeed in Business Without Being White" by Earl G. Graves

"The Pact" by Drs. Sampson Davis, George Jenkins and Remeck Hunt with Lisa Frazier Page

"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey

"The Fifth Discipline" by Peter M. Senge

"The Autobiography of Malcolm X" by Malcolm X

"The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr." by Martin Luther King Jr. and Clayborne Carson

What are your favorite TV shows?

"The Apprentice," "ER," "Law & Order," "The Practice," "Dateline NBC" and "60 Minutes"

Interview

When will you consider yourself "a success"?

A friend once told me that success is measured by the number of people you help to become successful. I will consider myself a success when I am in a position to spend my time in the service of others and my money in support of organizations and causes that I consider important, with the hope of helping others to become successful.

How would you describe your leadership style?

My leadership style is to seek out intelligent, hard working, entrepreneurial, and respectful people that like to work collaboratively and as a team, and then I get out of the way so they can do their job. I maintain ultimate responsibility for the team's success, but I only intercede if and when necessary or appropriate.

How do you deal with personal and professional challenges?

The way I deal with personal and professional challenges is to tackle them head on. I do not shy away from challenges, but rather seek out challenges more often than not. My life has been a series of challenges - from the passing of my late father, Leslie Pinkett, to the struggles I, and my business partners, have endured to establish a thriving enterprise, and more - each of these and other challenges from the past have only strengthened my ability to overcome obstacles in the future.

What, in your opinion, is the most important quality to have in order to succeed in life and why?

The most important quality to have in order to succeed in life is persistence. I believe that sooner or later, the woman or man who persists will succeed. There is absolutely no substitute for persistence.

What's more important: college education or real-world experience?

I believe that real-world experience is more important than a college education, but the strongest combination is to have both. Having worked in corporate America, started three companies, and completed five academic degrees from Rutgers, Oxford, and MIT, I have a rare combination of extensive practical experience and a world-class formal education.

Have any previous Apprentice winners motivated or inspired you? If so, who and why?

If not, what did you think of the winners?

I wasn't necessarily motivated or inspired by previous 'Apprentice' winners, but I was motivated and inspired by two individuals that came close to winning, namely, Kwame Jackson and Kevin Allen. As a fellow Black man, both their presence and their performance made me extremely proud. They consistently displayed incredible intellect, dedication, and respect for others.

I thought Bill Rancic, Kelly Perdew, and Kendra Todd all competed very effectively as well. Bill was a solid performer throughout his season. Kelly was nearly perfect in his execution

• 3 months later...

I cannot BELIEVE Randal! How does he have the nerve to do that? In that one second, I lost all respect I had gained for Randal all through the season. He was an amazing leading, a very respectable leader... up until that final minutes. I knew from when Felicia and Alla were fired that Trump was going to probably think about hiring two people. It just seemed that way with the way the rest of the season went.

Rebecca truly deserved to be there. She deserved to be hired more so than Randal (in my opinion). I just cannot believe him. In the end you could tell Trump was a little disappointed in Randal. Him and Rebecca were "friends" and he had a great deal of respect for her. But not enough for her to share the spotlight? "I believe this is THE Apprentice!" that's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. He was just afraid of COMPETITION.

I think Trump was looking for that loyalty that Rebecca has continuously shown to Toral, from Randal. And I really do think he was thoroughly disappointed when Randal didn't show it. What's to say Randal wouldn't snake out Trump? He's obviously greedy enough "I don't want to run a multi-million dollar business... I want to run a multi-BILLION dollar business!".

Sorry for this rant, but I just could not believe him. That was just disgusting, despicable.... vile. Just wrong. I don't think he'll last very long in the Trump Organization. And I really do hope Trump hires Rebecca on his own off-air time. She really deserves it, and I think he knows it.

Guest ranster627
Sorry for this rant, but I just could not believe him. That was just disgusting, despicable.... vile. Just wrong. I don't think he'll last very long in the Trump Organization. And I really do hope Trump hires Rebecca on his own off-air time. She really deserves it, and I think he knows it.

Randall makes Omarossa look good, at least she was bitter in defeat, he was sour in victory ...

BTW, loved the rant and well said!

I cannot BELIEVE Randal! How does he have the nerve to do that? In that one second, I lost all respect I had gained for Randal all through the season. He was an amazing leading, a very respectable leader... up until that final minutes. I knew from when Felicia and Alla were fired that Trump was going to probably think about hiring two people. It just seemed that way with the way the rest of the season went.

Rebecca truly deserved to be there. She deserved to be hired more so than Randal (in my opinion). I just cannot believe him. In the end you could tell Trump was a little disappointed in Randal. Him and Rebecca were "friends" and he had a great deal of respect for her. But not enough for her to share the spotlight? "I believe this is THE Apprentice!" that's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard. He was just afraid of COMPETITION.

I think Trump was looking for that loyalty that Rebecca has continuously shown to Toral, from Randal. And I really do think he was thoroughly disappointed when Randal didn't show it. What's to say Randal wouldn't snake out Trump? He's obviously greedy enough "I don't want to run a multi-million dollar business... I want to run a multi-BILLION dollar business!".

I agree. Maybe we'll read in a few days that he hired her. After all, there aren't any hard and fast rules with this show - if he can fire four morons at the same time he should be able to hire two excellent candidates if he so wishes.

Randall won fair and square. I think it is HILLARIOUS that people are so mad at him. I guess by your reasoning Danni should split the million with StephaME

The difference is that Trump didn't ask Randal to 'split' anything. Randal would have lost nothing - other than having to share the spotlight!

The difference is that Trump didn't ask Randal to 'split' anything. Randal would have lost nothing - other than having to share the spotlight!

So why even go through the whole process of the final challenge if he wanted to hire both? (Yes i believe he knew long ago he wanted to do this) Trump wanted some big bang ending to the season and Randall crapped on him!!! Good for Randall. THIS was a GAME no matter how you look at it and Randall won

Honestly, I wouldn't have found it so disgusting had he not buttered her up like he did when they were on the same team, and in the board room.

But when it came to the finale, all of a sudden she has no experience.. she's too young to run a Trump company, but not too young to make it to the final two and almost be hired over him?

If he had said from the BEGINNING that he thought Rebecca was too inexperienced for this, it wouldn't have been so bad. But the fact that it was up until it was time for him to get his greedy paws on the money, that he respected her and thought she was a great leader... that's what's despicable.

He would have had to share NOTHING, nothing at all. No money would have came out of his pockets, NOTHING except the spotlight.

Honestly, I wouldn't have found it so disgusting had he not buttered her up like he did when they were on the same team, and in the board room.

But when it came to the finale, all of a sudden she has no experience.. she's too young to run a Trump company, but not too young to make it to the final two and almost be hired over him?

If he had said from the BEGINNING that he thought Rebecca was too inexperienced for this, it wouldn't have been so bad. But the fact that it was up until it was time for him to get his greedy paws on the money, that he respected her and thought she was a great leader... that's what's despicable.

He would have had to share NOTHING, nothing at all. No money would have came out of his pockets, NOTHING except the spotlight.

RIGHT ON!

I didn't watch the season... just the finale and I thought Randall said what he believed.

All through their conference he kept sayign that she wasn't experienced enough and blah blah etc... so him saying that Trump shouldn't hire her as well was still sticking to what he believed instead of going with the popular choice.

He could've easily had said "Sure!" and gotten everyone's favor and been the hero.. but he didn't and you gotta respect him for sticking to his guns.

I think it was unfair for Trump to put that decision on him to begin with with NO time to think about it though.

As I said in another thread... if Trump wanted to hire them both then he should've just did it and not even asked either of them if the other should be hired.

EDIT: If he did butter her up through the season then all of a sudden started the inexperienced thing.. that is pretty bad but... I still think it's funny :P

I didn't watch the season... just the finale and I thought Randall said what he believed.

All through their conference he kept sayign that she wasn't experienced enough and blah blah etc... so him saying that Trump shouldn't hire her as well was still sticking to what he believed instead of going with the popular choice.

He could've easily had said "Sure!" and gotten everyone's favor and been the hero.. but he didn't and you gotta respect him for sticking to his guns.

I think it was unfair for Trump to put that decision on him to begin with with NO time to think about it though.

As I said in another thread... if Trump wanted to hire them both then he should've just did it and not even asked either of them if the other should be hired.

RIGHT ON!!

You're right, all through the ending one he was saying she was too inexperienced. BUT through the ENTIRE season he would go on and on about how Rebecca is such a good leader. Such a great person. This and that this and that. That's what makes me mad about it. The fact that for 13 weeks, he's gone on and on about how good she is. About how much strength it took to do 12 weeks of tasks on crutches, this and that. And then all of a sudden, when HE already won... it's time for her to be "too inexperienced to run your company".

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I didn't necessarily want Randal to just say "Yes, you should hire Rebecca!". I don't think that was the problem people had. I think the problem was the WAY he said no. The arrogant condescending way of saying "I'm better than you, because I'm older and have a better college education".

Edited by Moksha

EDIT: If he did butter her up through the season then all of a sudden started the inexperienced thing.. that is pretty bad but... I still think it's funny :P

The only thing I agree with here is that Trump should have just hired both if he wanted to.

You're right, all through the ending one he was saying she was too inexperienced. BUT through the ENTIRE season he would go on and on about how Rebecca is such a good leader. Such a great person. This and that this and that. That's what makes me mad about it. The fact that for 13 weeks, he's gone on and on about how good she is. About how much strength it took to do 12 weeks of tasks on crutches, this and that. And then all of a sudden, when HE already won... it's time for her to be "too inexperienced to run your company".

he alos had the whole season to watch and see things he didn't before.

She raised NO money for christs sake in the last challenge

You know, beyond even his opinion of her, and how it 'changes' to suit his needs - did he really need to state it so arrogantly?? It is the Apprentice, not Apprenti. PUHLEZE!

Like I said, in no way did I want Randal to say yes you should hire her. It's just the way that he said no, the arrogant condescending way that struck the wrong cord with me.

I do think Rebecca deserved to win. She was great all through the season. She did make that one huge mistake on the last task, and that's what cost her the hiring. But that wasn't what I have the problem with.. just the way he did it.

Are you forgetting that she raised $100,000 dollars, Yahoos' donation? When the envelopes come back, even more.

As I mentioned in the other thread, since he had already won, and since by his own admission she was capable and deserving, what he did just bordered on meanness. And I don't want to hear that stuff about "he was just speaking his mind" because all of his statements up until the final couple of minutes, when he knew he was in a little trouble, belied his decision at the end. I thought it was a disgusting display, and it really put a damper on an otherwise good season, and, for the record, I've been a Randall supporter all along.

It was pretty clear that it was in Trumps' mind to hire both of them. So why is he all of a sudden taking orders from his brand new hiree?

BAH!-----HUMBUG!!!!! <_<

Are you forgetting that she raised $100,000 dollars, Yahoos' donation? When the envelopes come back, even more.

As I mentioned in the other thread, since he had already won, and since by his own admission she was capable and deserving, what he did just bordered on meanness. And I don't want to hear that stuff about "he was just speaking his mind" because all of his statements up until the final couple of minutes, when he knew he was in a little trouble, belied his decision at the end. I thought it was a disgusting display, and it really put a damper on an otherwise good season, and, for the record, I've been a Randall supporter all along.

It was pretty clear that it was in Trumps' mind to hire both of them. So why is he all of a sudden taking orders from his brand new hiree?

BAH!-----HUMBUG!!!!! <_<

Are you deaf??? The guy from yahoo said the $100,000 was to be split betweent he two charities. She didn't raise squat, Yahoo was there to do damage control.

and how long does it take for someone to mail in a donation? Wasn't the carity event held some time ago? Heck Rebecca is off the crutches

Edited by nebartist

I believe it was a HUGE mistake for Rebecca to not put envelopes with information in the seats, at the tables, around the bar ANYWHERE. I also believe that it was extremely rude for Yahoo to demand that she not ask for donations. I think the only reason they gave the donation in the end, was because they watched it.. and realized "Wow, we just took so much money away from the AIDS foundation for no good reason".

I believe it was a HUGE mistake for Rebecca to not put envelopes with information in the seats, at the tables, around the bar ANYWHERE. I also believe that it was extremely rude for Yahoo to demand that she not ask for donations. I think the only reason they gave the donation in the end, was because they watched it.. and realized "Wow, we just took so much money away from the AIDS foundation for no good reason".

Yeah.. that definetly was a BIG mistake on her part.

As for Yahoo donating....

It was SO them trying to come off as a good guy after they were outed for saying they didn't want people to be asked for donations.

They didn't want to look like jackasses so they donated the 100k.