apprentice_logo_RBG.jpg

Candidate

pic_marshawn.jpg

hdr_marshawn.jpg

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Current Application Status:

[ X ] Active ~ [ X ] Hired ~ [ X ] Fired

Bio

Marshawn, 26, is CEO of Communications Counts!, a national professional development and public speaking consulting agency where she travels the country working with politicians, athletes, entertainers and media personalities. As Miss District of Columbia, she finished third runner-up at the Miss America competition. A national spokesperson on youth crime prevention and leadership development, and she has worked with the U.S. Justice Department as a co-founder of the National Youth Network.

She graduated magna cum laude from Texas Christian University with honors, and was named a Harry S. Truman Scholar, an ambassador to the International Summit of Achievement in Ireland, and one of Glamour magazine's "Top Ten College Women." She received her J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center.

While at Georgetown, she served as a criminal defense attorney in the Juvenile Justice Clinic and as a litigator on Georgetown's International Commercial Arbitration Team competing in Vienna, Austria. Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, she relocated from Washington, D.C. to Georgia where she will begin her career as a litigator with a top Atlanta law firm.

Up Close

What is your favorite music?

For me, music is a medicine that calms the soul. It helps me retreat after working long hours. I enjoy mellow music - mainly R&B, Gospel, and Motown classics.

What are your favorite books?

My favorite books are those based on leadership, motivation, business, and success. As a teenager, I constantly read motivational and entrepreneurial books. I consider such literature as "food for focus." They help me to continually think outside the box. In fact, the first book I co-authored, "Under the Crown," was based on turning obstacles into opportunities.

What are your favorite TV shows?

My favorite TV shows are "Living it Up" with Patti Label, "Hardball" with Chris Matthews, "Oprah," "The Cosby Show," "Starting Over," "The Practice," "Different Strokes" and "Good Times."

What are your favorite movies?

My favorite movies are "My Fair Lady," "Brown Sugar," "Remember the Titans," "Rush Hour," "Bad Boys I and II" and "The Hurricane" about Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter.

Interview

When will you consider yourself "a success"?

True success is a destination never reached. I believe the best is always yet to come; therefore, I strive to constantly raise the expectations for myself, my future, and my family. I feel fortunate to have been very "successful" in business, school, law, and competition - but it all pales in comparison to the success that is to come.

How would you describe your leadership style?

My objective is to always lead by example, integrity, and charisma. Because of my legal background, I try to appeal to logic, and I am usually straight to the point. It is important to listen, to be flexible when possible, and to always treat people with respect. At the same time, there is no room for excuses. After all, the bottom line is to do what it takes to make sure that the job gets done!

How do you deal with personal and professional challenges?

Champions view challenges as chances, obstacles as opportunities, problems as possibilities, and turn adversity into advantage. The difference is simply a matter of perspective. I walk based on faith and firmly believe that I have been equipped to handle any challenge presented before me. Every challenge is a test. Difficult times are designed to define you, not destroy you.

What, in your opinion, is the most important quality to have in order to succeed in life and why?

Success in life and in business is a reflection of vision and attitude. I have a "can do, must do, will do" attitude when it comes to succeeding! Excellence is a choice, not an accident. To me, there is a significant difference between expecting to succeed and simply wanting to succeed. If I expect success, I'm determined to personally make sure it happens - I look for it, seek it out, and refuse to settle.

What's more important: college education or real-world experience?

Formal education may get you in the door, but real-world experience is what keeps you there. Don't get me wrong; I attended Georgetown University, one of the best law schools in the county, for a reason! Law school provided me with invaluable analytical abilities to become a skilled lawyer.

However, the school of life taught me street sense. What good is a well-educated person who lacks common sense? I recognize that a trial lawyer becomes better by being in the courtroom, not the classroom. Experience gives me insight and intuition that cannot be taught in a book.

Have any previous Apprentice winners motivated or inspired you? If so, who and why?

If not, what did you think of the winners?

I was motivated most by Kwame from Season One. I think he carried himself with integrity and gained the respect of his fellow competitors.

What have you learned from watching previous seasons of "The Apprentice"?

Based on watching previous seasons, I've learned that the basic principles of success in business still apply in a competitive setting - strategic planning, confidence, and assertiveness are essential. You have to deal with a diverse array of personalities, which is especially challenging when your co-competitors' opinions can influence the end results. Being a runner-up in the Miss America competition will come in handy in ways that others would never expect!

Would you rather be stranded on a desert island with Donald, George or Carolyn, and why?

I would rather be on an island with Carolyn. Between the two of us, we should be able to figure out a way to get off the island!

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Sith Hits the Fan for Apprentice Pair

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Fired are you both. So declared Donald Trump (in so many words) on last week's The Apprentice, as the Excel team delivered a Star Wars Episode III