apprentice_logo_RBG.jpg

Candidate

pic_james.jpg

hdr_james.jpg

Hometown: Alexandria, Virginia

Current Application Status:

[ X ] Active ~ [ X ] Hired ~ [ X ] Fired

Bio

James, 27, is in the top three percent of sales for Cingular Wireless and is a Cingular Summit award winner. He recently started a real estate investment firm, J.S. DILLON, with his wife Shawna and they currently own properties in Alexandria, Virginia, Washington D.C., and Chicago, Illinois.

James graduated cum laude from Frostburg State University with a B.S. in business administration and was also Vice President of Sigma Beta Delta and a four-year baseball letterman/captain. Upon graduation, he earned his second diploma in broadcasting.

James interned at "The John Thompson Show" and "The Sports Reporters" on SportsTalk980. He was dubbed "Gentleman Jim" while interning on Z104's, "The Bush League Morning Show." This experience led him to a position as a roaming reporter, production assistant, and weekend sportscaster at WHSV TV3 in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Up Close

What is your favorite music?

Motown

What are your favorite books?

Self-Improvement

What are your favorite TV shows?

Sporting Events

What are your favorite movies?

Adventure

Interview

When will you consider yourself "a success"?

My true success will be when my career is over, and I can sit back, relax, and say to myself, "I did everything I ever wanted to do, I gave it my best effort, I never complained about the outcome, and I have left a legacy."

How would you describe your leadership style?

I understand my team's strengths and then set them up to excel in their strongest areas.

How do you deal with personal and professional challenges?

I never make excuses, I own up to my mistakes, and I make sure they don't happen again.

What, in your opinion, is the most important quality to have in order to succeed in life and why?

Persistence.

What's more important: college education or real-world experience?

You cannot belittle either. Both are so important to the success of one's career.

Have any previous Apprentice winners motivated or inspired you? If so, who and why?

If not, what did you think of the winners?

Each and every single 'Apprentice' candidate has motivated me because they each had their unique identity that earned them their spot on the show. The most inspiring candidates have been the ones that no matter the task, situation, or decision stuck by their gut and made the tough business choice.

What have you learned from watching previous seasons of "The Apprentice"?

To not peak too early and to play the game.

Would you rather be stranded on a desert island with Donald, George or Carolyn, and why?

George, because he's got to be doing something right to live this long, and he is very smart and tough.