International News

Apparently, this series is an International franchise. I found this tonight and thought I'd share this for our Aussie friends (and Moderator):

Sydney Star Observer

Bec Wins for AIDS Trust

by Myles Wearring

bec.jpg

'Dancing With the Stars' winning dance team

of professional dance instructor Michael

Miziner and actress Rebecca Cartwright.

SYDNEY (11/25/2004) - Rebecca Cartwright's win on hit TV show "Dancing With the Stars" on Tuesday night was also a win for the AIDS Trust Of Australia. Every time viewers called to vote for Cartwright, the AIDS Trust

• 4 months later...

It began in the UK in 2004, where it's known as Strictly Come Dancing. It's actually an update on a format called Come Dancing, which ran throughout the 70s and 80s.

Can't stand the show myself, but thought you might be interested to know over Christmas here in the UK they are airing a UK vs US version of the show, with some of the contestants from Dancing with the Stars.

Brekkie! Sure wish you liked this series so you could tell us all the scuttlebutt about the new International version. I did quite a few posts on other threads regarding the original United Kingdom series and have visited their web site often for information. I guess you just started my new quest to find out about the new dancing war between Jolly Ole England and the Colonies. :lol: Thanks for giving us the international 411.

Update

I just found this small piece from an online source, Sunday Mirror. The U.S. doesn't have a prayer with the two celebrities they've chosen to enter the international competition.

sundaymirror2logo.jpg

U.S. Versus U.K. In 'Strictly' Dance-Off

by Lara Gould, TV Reporter

5halfpenny.jpg

Jill Halfpenny with dance partner Darren Bennett on 'Strictly Come Dancing.'

British stars are set to battle it out with their American counterparts in a "Strictly Come Dancing" Christmas showdown. Last year's winner, Jill Halfpenny, will hit the floor with Darren Bennett and two other couples from the United States show, "Dancing With The Stars."

Bookmakers last night gave Zoe Ball and her partner, Ian Waite, odds of 4/5 to win this year's United Kingdom contest which could see them competing against the Yanks. Entrants from the U.S. include Rachel Hunter and boxer Evander Holyfield who famously had part of his ear bitten off by Mike Tyson.

The top three U.K. couples this year will be invited to perform in the one-off special as well. A TV insider said: "The U.S. show was a huge hit and attracted big-name stars. The combination of the big U.S. egos and the British determination to win will make this a Christmas highlight."

The one-hour show will see the winners crowned the international champion of champions. But the couples will be judged by the TV panel and won't be subject to the public vote. The series, in its third season, won recent Saturday night ratings with 9.1million viewers.

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name