DVD Release News

Jem

"Lost: Season 1" DVD Planned Already

Posted: Friday February 11th, 2005 12:06am

Source: TV Guide

Author: Garth Franklin

300x200_lost.jpg

Even though they've only just aired 15 of the debut season's planned 24 episodes so far, according to the latest TV Guide there are DVD plans already in motion for the most talked about drama series on the box this season - "Lost".

In the regular column 'Ask Ausiello', the TV guru confirms the first season of the show will be hitting disk in early September, a few weeks before the second season is slated to start.

Show co-creator Damon Lindelof also confirms they have an "amazing amount" of extras planned, including "awesome commentaries," deleted scenes between Locke and Hurley, Sawyer and Charlie and Locke and young Walt; footage of the Boeing 747 being cut up in the Mojave Desert and transported via barge to Hawaii; and a look at what went into making the original polar bear sequence.

But the best part? Lindelof says he and J.J. Abrams are considering making an original mini-movie that "answers one of the questions we've been asked very frequently about the show but have made no attempt to answer so far. It has something to do with why the plane may have crashed."

Sounds great huh? Well to ensure the sales go well it seems Disney may be charging as little as $39.95 for the set.

• 3 weeks later...

This DVD can be ordered at Mortys Mall from Amazon. Price below, please click the link.

List Price: $59.99

Amazon.com's Price: $38.99

You Save: $21.00 (35%)

Release Date: 06 September, 2005

Manufacturer: Walt Disney Home Video

Mortys Mall

I hope they get season one out on DVD fast -- I'll want to watch it all again before season 2!
I hope they get season one out on DVD fast -- I'll want to watch it all again before season 2!

They say it will be out very quickly with extra's too! It will be out well before Season 2!

Guest XandraSkye
I think the sales for that DVD will go thru the roof. Not only from the people who are watching it now and in love with it but also from all the people who missed it the first time around and said to themselves, "I'll wait until it comes out on DVD since everyone raves about it."

Guest XandraSkye

In a way I'm jealous of those people who have never watched the show before and then go out and buy it on DVD, sit down at their TV to watch the first episode, get totally hooked, and do nothing but sit in front of their TV and watch the whole season without having to wait week to week, sometimes weeks, for the next episode.

Lucky b&%tards. :wink:

Guest XandraSkye
I don't know if I'll buy them but I might rent them and have a "Lost" marathon that week. I would like to watch all the episodes again back to back.

Show co-creator Damon Lindelof also confirms they have an "amazing amount" of extras planned, including "awesome commentaries," deleted scenes between Locke and Hurley, Sawyer and Charlie and Locke and young Walt; footage of the Boeing 747 being cut up in the Mojave Desert and transported via barge to Hawaii; and a look at what went into making the original polar bear sequence.

Guest ranster627

At one point they were claiming they would show the cause of the crash too ... but it seems that has been debunked! That would have grabbed me right away!

Guest XandraSkye
At one point they were claiming they would show the cause of the crash too ... but it seems that has been debunked! That would have grabbed me right away!

That's what I heard too. I definitely wanted to rent that disc. So, I wonder if there is anything truth to that still? There is a website called TVShowsOnDVD.com and they have news stories broken up by each TV show. Anything and everything that has ever been mentioned about a show coming out on DVD is posted there. I'm gonna go back there and see what the latest news story said.

Guest XandraSkye

This is from the official press release about the Lost DVD. It doesn't say anything about the crash.

Bonus features for LOST: THE COMPLETE 1st SEASON include the never-before-seen, extended uncut version of the original pilot; exclusive, in-depth behind-the-scenes looks at the making of the show; backstage with Drive Shaft all-access pass behind the music; the art of Matthew Fox featurette; 'Before They Were Lost' original casting tapes; blooper reel; rare deleted scenes; and multiple filmmaker audio commentaries. Available for $59.99 for the six-disc DVD.

Guest ranster627

They will likely slip in a little clue extra to the DVD ... I will rely on you all to keep me posted! :wink:

Guest XandraSkye
Show of hands. Who thinks they will purchase the 1st Season of Lost when it comes out on DVD on 9/6/05? I think I will rent it but I don't think I will buy it. As much as I like this show I don't see me watching it over and over again. Then again, I could change my mind after these next few episodes.

• 4 weeks later...

If this has been discussed elsewhere and answered, my apologies but I used "search" at the top of the forum and could not locate anything.

With the DVD release date of 9/6/05, does anyone else think this may indicate a delay to season 2 (as they did w/ Alias this year)? Now if so, it may be a good thing so that we don't get all the repeats, weeks in between new episodes, etc. And at least the DVD would tide us over and bring us up to speed to be ready. I'd hate to wait as much as the next person, but I think I would rather have back to back new eppys than strung out episodes like we've had this year (new shows are typically shot w/ fewer episodes, they didn't know what a hit the show would be, and all of this explains why to me about this season - XS correct me if I'm wrong).

So I ask, what do you all think or does anyone actually know, please?

Thanks.

LOL, sorry Ty can't answer your questions... as much as I'd hate to wait until Oct-Nov for Lost to start up, I'm with you - I'd rather wait and have a good string of new episodes ahead of me... hell, I'd even be willing to wait until January, a la 24, to have the entire season non-stop!!!

PS CLICK HERE to order the Season one DVD set for $38.99! I already ordered mine!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a paradise 'Lost'

1st-season DVDs are a big find

736-lost.JPG

The first year of 'Lost' (with Evangeline Lilly, Dominic

Monaghan & Matthew Fox, above) is arriving on DVD.

It doesn't always work out that the better the TV show, the better the DVD boxed set. But with ABC's "Lost," whose first season comes to home video next Tuesday, the news, like the packaging and contents, is all good.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment's "Lost: The Complete First Season" (seven discs, $59.99) is worth the wait. It's a great TV show, complemented by lots of great extras, from preproduction stories and original audition tapes to mind-boggling behind-the-scenes features.

First, the show itself. Six of the seven discs are filled by the 24 first-season episodes of "Lost" - a show about dozens of mysterious strangers stranded, after a plane crash, on an even more mysterious island.

"Lost" is the sort of show that is perfect for DVDs. You can watch it as intently as you want, freezing frames and backing up to dissect clues and hidden meanings, or burn through the episodes in a nonstop, no-commercials marathon of TV bliss.

The passion that co-creators Damon Lindelof and J.J. Abrams have put into each frame of "Lost" extends to the DVD, too. There aren't a lot of alternate-audio commentary tracks, but the ones provided are astoundingly captivating.

They're also technically ingenious. Sometimes, when Abrams is making a point about the difficulty of filming a particular scene, he'll ask that the episode stop at that point. It does stop, and we hop instantly to some behind-the-scenes footage to illustrate his point about how this explosion was filmed, or that bit of action was faked.

After you've watched the episodes, the seventh disc offers a trove of additional material. Among the worth-the-purchase-price material:

The original audition tapes for the entire "Lost" cast, in which Evangeline Lilly as Kate and Jorge Garcia as Hurley do extraordinary yet casual-looking work under the rawest of circumstances.

Backstage stories, like the admission by Maggie Grace (Shannon) that, just before the last take of her incestuous kissing scene with Iam Somerhalder (Boone), she pranked him by loading her mouth with onions and garlic.

How the show's directors and cast had to work with cooperative bees and very uncooperatives boars.

There are separate documentaries, features on various aspects of the different stages of production, elements of each individual episode and segments on everything from the wreckage effects in the pilot to the floating raft in the finale.

There's a blooper reel, and there are complete scenes cut from various episodes, including two flashback scenes from the final episode. The only thing missing is a major dissection of the show's mystery string of numbers - but something, I guess, had to be held back for season two.

This "Lost" set succeeds in making you eager to return to the island, and to the story of "Lost." We'll be able to do that when ABC presents the second-season premiere Sept. 21. With this DVD set, though, the waiting's a lot easier.

Source

image04267qp.jpg

By Gary C.W. Chun

gchun@starbulletin.com

COURTESY ABC / BUENA VISTA HOME ENT

The second season of "Lost" stars, from left, Harold Perrineau, Maggie Grace, Matthew Fox, Terry O'Quinn, Yunjin Kim, Jorge Garcia, Evangeline Lilly, Daniel Dae Kim, Naveen Andrews, Emilie de Ravin, Dominic Monaghan, Josh Holloway and newbie Michelle Rodriguez.

At last month's press party for the "Lost: The Complete First Season" DVD at the Turtle Bay Resort, cast member Daniel Dae Kim said that the seven-disc collection "rewards people who watch the show actively." As one of those active viewers captivated by this adventure-mystery TV drama, I found the rewards of watching the first season all over again -- without commercial interruption -- outweighs the promise of the special-features disc.

With the exception of the actors' audition tapes, a couple of un-aired flashback scenes and the short documentary "Welcome to Oahu: The Making of the Pilot," the special-features disc -- while enjoyable overall -- hardly lives up to its billing: "Essential Lost."

But for the series itself, do yourself a favor. If you haven't yet invested in one of those humongous home entertainment systems, this DVD set is a good enough excuse to do so -- a reason to fully immerse yourself in the high-definition, surround-sound experience.

Besides being an engaging and tightly scripted series, "Lost" is one of the most well-crafted dramas on television. Of the multiple Emmy nominations the series has received, it's no surprise that about half are for technical excellence. And it's no wonder that the bulk of the nominations are due to the superior work done on the ambitious two-part pilot. (Considering the quick casting process, and getting the jetliner parts flown to Oahu, it seems nearly miraculous that the pilot was pulled off in the first place.)

One of the neat things about watching the pilot episode with commentary by executive producers J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk is that Abrams occasionally halts a particular scene, and the DVD branches to a behind-the-scenes home-video look at that same scene, offering further explanation. A very cool move. Another notable feature is a script scanner (accessible when the DVDs are played on a PC) that lets viewers follow along with the script.

Only three other commentaries round out this first set, highlighting the fine writing on the episodes "Walkabout," "The Moth" and "Hearts and Minds," as well as the featured acting of Emmy nominee Terry O'Quinn, Dominic Monaghan (whose easy demeanor was probably helped by having done multiple commentaries for "The Lord of the Rings' " home video sets), Maggie Grace and Ian Somerhalder.

More would've been great, but considering how quickly this DVD set is hitting store shelves -- just months after the first season was pau -- oh, well. Everyone else in the cast is given a moment to shine, and it's a pleasure to re-evaluate their work. This is especially true of Kim and Yunjin Kim in the "House of the Rising Sun" episode, co-Emmy nominee Naveen Andrews in "Solitary," Evangeline Lilly in "Whatever the Case May Be," Monaghan again in "Homecoming" and Josh Holloway in "Outlaws."

So whether a purchase or a rental, your money's well spent on "Lost: The Complete First Season."

And second season, here we come!

• 3 weeks later...

My copy arrived Sept 9, I had watched the entire first season again by the time the first episode of the 2nd season started. It was great. I saw so many things and heard so much conversation that I had missed the first time around. Tons of little insights I hadn't seen that mean so much to the plotline. I highly recommend this DVD. They did a good job with it. Amazing behind the scenes of the logistics of filming this show. The collaberation of the writers, producers, directors is so evidentially cohesive it's easy to see why this show works. I hope they can sustain the excellance for a long time.

I got the DVD when it came out.. but I've only watched the bonus stuff so far.

I plan on watching the entire first season again though eventually heh.

JUst love the behind the scenes stuff. Didn't know they actually purchased a real airplane! That was pretty shocking!

And didn't realize just how many chars they had to add in b/c they loved the actors so much they wanted them in there. I thought that was pretty cool.

It seemed like every single guy read for Sawyer.. I guess they make them read all the guy parts or something?

Was very odd seeing Jorge (Hurley) reading the Sawyer part! :lol: Makes me really curious to know how that char would've ended up if he had gotten that part.

I'm glad they made Hurley for him though b/c I just love that char so much! heh

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name