The Black Family

Phil-o-mania

cbs.com

The Black Family ~ Woodbridge, Virginia

Black2.jpg

Family of Four: Reggie, 42, Kenneth, 11, Austin, 8 and

Kimberly, 40.

The Black Family is from Woodbridge, Virginia. Reggie and Kimberly, who met in undergraduate school, have been married for over 17 years. Their two sons, Kenneth, 11, and Austin, 8, round out this team of four who compete competitively in Tae Kwon Do tournaments.

Reggie, 42, is the team leader. He is a high school teacher who describes himself as calm yet competitive. Reggie graduated from Norfolk State University with a degree in mathematics.

Kimberly, 40, is a fifth grade teacher who considers herself to be witty and determined. She earned her Masters in Education from Marymount University.

Kenneth, 11, is entering sixth grade. His favorite hobbies are soccer and Tae Kwon Do. Kenneth earned his black belt in Tae Kwon Do over two years.

At 8 years old, Austin is the youngest contestant ever to compete in "The Amazing Race." He will be in the fourth grade and has an advanced brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. Austin plans on earning his black belt within the next few months.

The Black Family is the epitome of dedication and heart. Despite their limited traveling experience, they are determined to show they have what it takes to compete on "The Amazing Race."

• 4 weeks later...

I agree I liked the black family, and their kids were not annoying like the kids in the Gaghan family. The team I thought(and Hoped) would be the first off was the paolo family they were very annoying all they did was argue, and lose their clue. You could tell the Black family were very upset when they were told they were the last team.

I know, I was hoping for the Paola's to leave first instead of the Black's. The Paola boys seem like spoiled brats, and their father says nothing to them. The Black's were all really sweet to each other and worked together well. I was really sad when they came in last. It was hard to see the boys faces at the end.

I, too was sorry to see them go. I loved the gentleness of the father when he pulled him out of the creek, patted him on the butt, and said he had been doing a good job so far. They worked together and never said a bad thing.

I would have loved to ave grown up in such a family!

I agree I liked the black family, and their kids were not annoying like the kids in the Gaghan family.

So true Wilvin!

It was very sad to see watch them at the end...the little ones holding back the tears :( ...Such a nice family *sigh*...

I was hoping the Paolo's too would be the ones arriving last too. Those boys have absolutely not respect for their parents and viceversa. It felt as if I was watching the Gotti thug kids minus Victoria...I can't even understand how they managed to make it in time... :(

I have to disagree that the kids where not whiny. In the boat crossing to Delaware, constructing the windmill, it seemed that they got impatient with the tasks when they were not as involved or it wasn't going their way. That said, I agree that all four of them acted with class befitting their age, and were not my first choice to be eliminated.

Fuskie

Who reserves that spot for the Blondes who screamed all the time and knocked things over...

Was anyone else giggling everytime they referred to them as "The Black Family"? Of course, it wouldn't have been funny if there was another African-American family. Come on. . . admit it. It was a little funny. If I was the only one, I'll take whatever criticism you wanna throw at me. But be honest.

Guest ranster627
Was anyone else giggling everytime they referred to them as "The Black Family"? Of course, it wouldn't have been funny if there was another African-American family. Come on. . . admit it. It was a little funny. If I was the only one, I'll take whatever criticism you wanna throw at me. But be honest.

Thanks for raising this ... I actually felt uncomfortable when typing about them saying "The Black Family" this and that ... but the irony didn't escape me ...

Guest linkinlexi

yeah i definately was. it was kinda odd. i was telling my mom that the guy who had to write the names of the families on the screen must of been like "this is soooo wrong"

My boyfriend is black, and we were both dying!

I actually stated this to my friends before the season started. I pointed and said that's the Black family and they're like yeah we can see that, and I said NO literally they are the black family. Now imagine if there had of been a family with the last name White lol

I too thought it was funny but didn't want to be the first to say anything

i thought that was 2nd best part of the show, i was laughing my ass off

the best part of the show for me was i spent 2 years living in Mount Joy and a year in Lancaster, Mount Joy is so small that i always just tell people i spent 3 years in lancaster.

im glad i wasnt the only one who laughed out loud when it premired and the announcer introduced them as the black family

• 2 weeks later...
I really wanted a team with little kids to last a little longer for the fact that kids' feelings get hurt so easily and they did such a great job.

That's got to be about the most stupid reason I've heard to cheer on a team. It's supposed to be a race, for crying out loud! If little babies need their tears wiped away, they shouldn't be in it!