The Aiello Family

Phil-o-mania

cbs.com

The Aiello Family ~ Mansfield, Massachusetts

Aiello2.jpg

Father and His Three Son-in-Laws: Tony, 57, Kevin, 31,

Matt, 31 and David, 26.

When Tony Aiello first met the men who would eventually capture the hearts of his three beloved daughters, he never thought he'd end up racin around the world with them. "Forget about it," he'd quip. Compelled by a gnawing curiousity about how his three son-in-laws would handle such a competition, Tony, leads the unlikely foursome from Mansfield, Massachusetts, for their first official trip without their wives by their side.

Tony, 57, is the leader in both age and experience. He works as a restaurant consultant and describes himself as protective and competitive. Even though his favorite movie of all time is "The Godfather," his tough exterior melts away when it comes to his three daughters, who he says are his greatest accomplishment.

Kevin, 31, is married to one of Tony's twin daughters. His successful career in public relations for a high-tech cmopany has honed his diplomatic skills. The father of two is a self-described risk-taker with a love for travel and adventure.

Matt, also 31, works as a corporate project manager and is known for his fearlessness and sense of humor. Matt, married to Tony's other twin daughter, is a father of two as well.

David, 26, is the youngest of the team, but the most well-trained. His career as a police officer in Rhode Island is preceded by eight years as an infantryman in the U.S. Marine Corps. He's married to Tony's youngest daughter.

"The Amazing Race" will surely show these in-laws the different sides to each other as they are forced to bond outside the familiar comfort of their family circle.

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment this is my favorite team. I cried when they were watching the flag folding ceremony. Mind you I cry easily for anything so that means nothing lol. I love the (oh i can't spell it,) commadeire??? between the four of them which is fabulous. What man gets along with the man that married his baby girl especially three men marrying three baby girls lol.

How adorable is this family story! A father of three daughters doing something so challenging & lenghty with his son-in-laws. Kinda brings a new meaning to the Italian saying "marrying into the family". What oozes from my screen is that this is a loving family full of tradition & patriotism. They are definitely in my top 3 favs!

I like them too....for four men to come together like that was great to see. Sorry to see them go.

I know somebody has to go home because it's a race, but I still wish no one did :(

That was sad when they were all standing there on the mat and you could see the pictures of their kids on their t-shirts. I kind don't like when the clue says the last team 'may' be eliminated because you feel like, well if it had been the Gaghans they probably would have gotten a break. Which is okay, nothing against the Gaghans, it just sucks when a team that's not the Gaghans doesn't get the same break - doesn't seem fair.

And I wish it had been the Paolo's instead! :angry:

lol.. I too felt the same thing abou the "may be eliminated" I felt like it was not gonna be an elimination round. I bet if it was the gaghan fam thye would have caught a break and would have said but you will not be eliminated. I just hope the gaghans do NOT win!!! Anyoen but them would be fine with. they are too damn cocky

I was on the edge of my seat at the end. I was praying that the Paolo family would NOT be able to find the pit stop. I was hoping the Aiello's would run faster and I cried when they didn't. Emotional wreck that I am, i usually cry when ANY team is eliminated but this was my favorite team so it was heartbreaking. Especially when out of the last three teams running they were the best by far. I am glad it brought them closer together and I hope that DANG Paolo family goes home next!!!!

I had really hoped it was a non elimination leg and obviously they were hoping too as they all sort of slouched when he told them they were eliminated.

dglow...I completely agree with you. I have an 8 year old son who has not seen his father for 7 years. She did mention that it caused her to have more appreciation for single parents, but come on!! Her husband went on a realty t.v. show. She may not have had contact with him for the "whole month of July". Waaaahhhh. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but a month? Single parents do this everyday. Our great people over in Iraq do this every day. Those are the families I feel sorry for!

One thing that did disappoint Aiello, was never leaving the U.S. In previous seasons of The Amazing Race, teams have flown to exotic locations, but changes were made to ensure the safety of the younger players.

"We didn't know that was going to happen. We were waiting and anticipating going to the airport on each leg so it was disappointing," he says.

While making the Race child-friendly did impact the game, Aiello suggests it will be an adult team who'll win. He says the teams without children are stronger because they do not need to constantly stop for bathroom breaks, regular meals or emotional breakdowns.

That was certainly the case for the Weaver family -- a widow and her three teenagers.

"I didn't enjoy the Weaver family from Florida. I know about their loss and I am sorry for that, but they made themselves the outsiders.

"They didn't really show it on TV, but on the bus they really freaked out. They were worried about smelling like shrimp and not getting enough sleep. My heart goes out to them, but they didn't sign up for a luxury cruise here -- this is The Amazing Race."

This is just not the same race this year.