Hurricane Katrina

Stargazer

Guest ranster627

IMPORTANT!

Are you searching for loved ones? Try checking the CNN website, they are facilitating people trying to reach each other ... it has only begun, and I don't want to raise false hope, but give it a try and keep checking it ... I will pray for all of you!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Femmechick.... you're unforgettable !

Keep us posted about your daughter, hubby and grandson.

A friend of mines daughter finally heard from her daughter who was able to get to a working phone this afternoon.

Hope you hear from them soon.

(prayers are with you)

My thoughts and prayers are with all that has suffered from Katrina. femme I will say a prayer that you will hear from your family. As I will all of you who may have family that have not been contacted. All you posters from the area I will be thinking of you.

Hi everyone...finally got to a computer to let you all know your thoughts and prayers are so appreciated...my house is gone but my family is alive and my dogs...the rest will take care of itself eventually......

Will be here in Tennessee till Sunday and then we have to go back to Slidell to take pictures and fill out paperwork..from there who knows but we will figure that out one day at a time...

Ranster thanks for your kind words...they were really appreciated so much...see ya all later...

Laura..

Jinx....check in soon...I heard you evacuated..so get to a computer soon...

Nawlins.... I don't know what to say.... except thank goodness at least you and your family are OK. What they're showing and reporting is mind boggeling.

I just went back on another thread from Aug. 20th and you posted your son would be home in 17 days.... Is that still something that will be able to happen ?

When you can.... please keep us posted....

I hope Jinx checks in soon. I know she had her hands full even before Katrina hit.

Guest PrincessSchroeder

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those struggling through this rough time. I just started watching coverage of the disaster yesterday and I am horrified. We dont see anything like that in Idaho. I hope everyone is safe and hears from their families soon. My family sends their love!

Nawlings glad to hear you and your family are fine.

It's beyond putting into words the feelings I get when I see the pictures of the distruction.

Take care all, if there is anything I can do let me know.

I'm happy to hear that those people that are a part of the Morty family and have checked in are safe. My thoughts are with you all and I pray that there is a speedy recovery of your homes and lives.

Update: I received a message at my pogo account from a friend of Gaytor's that he and his partner are safe and in Houston with family.

CeCiMom

It's been a long time since I've come by to visit............I just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing after the storm. To all of you that we know are safe, I am so happy to hear it. Nawlins I'm so sorry about your house!! I'm worried about femme's family and jinx though, has anyone heard anything more about them?

No word yet about jinx or femme....?......ya'll please check in....I am going back to Slidell on Sunday to take care of what I have to...I will make all efforts to locate jinx while Im there..she lived about 10 minutes from me and I know her house is under water...but I was informed she did evacuate.....I do know that Watchers husband is checking with the base to find femmes family..so maybe we will hear something soon....ya'll keep the prayers going...they are so needed right now.

Looks like my son will be leaving Iraq in the next few days and be activated right to new orleans to restore order...one war zone to another.....they were scheduled home on Tuesday but considering the situation they are trying to get them here sooner...

Everyone take care of each other...people really need each other so badly right now like never before..

Laura, Im so glad you and yours are safe...so sorry about your home.

please keep us posted! I miss you!

As for my daughter... still no word... and each day that goes by I cry a lil more. Her phone was indeed the 228 area code that I understand isnt up yet...

Im so scared... and I feel beyond helpless and frustrated.

My grandson had JUST got over colic... now this... I dont know what to do... or what to think...Keesler airforce base should be starting clean up proceedures soon.. IF they made it to base.. I know they will need my son-in-law there as they are needing more cooks and thats what he does. He himself, just returned home 2 wks ago from 6 months in africa...Im glad he was "home" though... and I just hope the 3 of 'em are together and he wasnt on base, and danielle and the baby at home when the storm hit hard.....

Thanks to all... for your prayers and warm positive thoughts... you dont know how much it means to me and my family!

My thoughts and prayers are still going out to all the victims.

Has there been any news of Jinx yet?

Just saw footage of a caravan of cars trying to get back into Slidell (where Nawlins Gal is from) on CNN.

It dosen't look good at all. They showed where homes were completly gone... or badly damaged.

Nawlins - and any of our other posters that were effected - please let us know if there is anything we can do.

I'm sure many of us would like to help out in some way.

MY DAUGHTER, DANIELLE HER HUBBY AND THEIR SON

(my only g'baby!) ARE OK!

I havent heard from them myself... Devin, my son in law, called his mother, lisa who called devins father Dennis and dennis's wife called and left a message on my voice mail! I dont know any detail, but to know they are safe and made it thru, is such a relief from my heart and mind!!

BLESS YOU ALL who sent prayers and positive thoughts to them....

Watcher... thanks for the "olive branch" and for doing what ever you could do.

I am sooo happy you guys... so happy Im STILL CRYIN'!!!

but they are happy tears now!

Femmechick/Kelly

MY DAUGHTER, DANIELLE HER HUBBY AND THEIR SON

(my only g'baby!) ARE OK!

I havent heard from them myself... Devin, my son in law, called his mother, lisa who called devins father Dennis and dennis's wife called and left a message on my voice mail! I dont know any detail, but to know they are safe and made it thru, is such a relief from my heart and mind!!

BLESS YOU ALL who sent prayers and positive thoughts to them....

Watcher... thanks for the "olive branch" and for doing what ever you could do.

I am sooo happy you guys... so happy Im STILL CRYIN'!!!

but they are happy tears now!

Femmechick/Kelly

Femme, that is excellent news, I am so happy for you and I hope you get to talk to your daughter real soon...

femme Im so happy....my son just IMed me from Iraq..he is leaving tomorrow from Iraq and has been activated to New Orleans for 6-12 months.....not quite the homecoming I envisioned..but I hope I can see him in the next month or so..I'm praying for everyone....

The Red Cross helped me with a voucher for K-mart to get some clothes..so I can do that today...yeah...I can change clothes...woo hoo...lol...

Heart ya all...thanks for all the thoughts and prayers...

Femmechick.....I am so overjoyed with the news that your loved ones are okay. It is great to hear such wonderful news. God Bless you and your family!!!

Nawlins.....I am so sorry to hear that you lost your home. I feel so badly for you & so many others. I am very happy to hear that everyone is okay though. Was also happy to hear that your son will be home soon. I know it's not the perfect homecoming but it's nice to know he will be on home soil again.

Gaytor I heard is with family in Houston. I've also heard that Jinx was evacuated. It is nice to hear our 'family' is safe.

I have a few bags of baby clothes & diapers that I would like to have shipped to Katrina victims who need them. I will have to see if my church is collecting them or just go directly to the Red Cross.

Thoughts & prayers are with all of you.

Love,

Tina

afp_logo75.jpg

Actor/Pilot John Travolta Delivers Relief to Katrina Victims

Katrina_Travolta299x350.jpg

Celebrity couple Kelly Preston and John Travolta flew

their own plane into New Orleans to deliver five tons

of food and medical supplies to the Jefferson Parish

Sheriff Operations Center.

METAIRIE, Louisiana (AFP) - Actor John Travolta and his wife, actress Kelly Preston, flew in their own private jet to deliver five tons of food for victims of Hurricane Katrina. Travolta, an experienced pilot, flew the supplies to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, then toured the flooded city of New Orleans and visited rescue workers and shelters for evacuees. The two movie stars also brought along 400 doses of tetanus vaccines for rescuers.

The star of "Saturday Night Fever" and "Pulp Fiction" told AFP he was coordinating with Oprah Winfrey to get even more relief for the more than a million people affected by one of the worst storms in US history. "That's our job today," he said. "We're hoping this time we're effective."

At the Jefferson Parish sheriff's command center, the two stars posed for pictures and thanked Church of Scientology volunteers administering tetanus shots to rescue workers. Both actors are Scientologists. At one point, Travolta, 51, spoke quietly with Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee, then embraced him. Preston, 42, followed suit, with tears in her eyes. "They've had such great loss," she said.

Travolta is the latest in a stream of sports, literary and entertainment celebrities to reach out to the victims of Katrina, the worst-ever storm to hit the United States. Many have themselves been touched by the disaster. Rock and roll pioneer Fats Domino had to be rescued from his flooded New Orleans home.

EliPeytonManningNYG_042404_240x200.jpg

Brothers Eli and Peyton Manning, football

gridders, joined together to distribute more

than 30,000 pounds of emergency supplies.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning and his brother, Eli, of the New York Giants, were in Baton Rouge over the weekend distributing more than 30,000 pounds of emergency supplies, including diapers and bottled water. Their father, Archie Manning, was for many years the quarterback of the New Orleans Saints American football team.

Thriller writer, John Grisham and his wife, Renee, who live in the stricken state of Mississippi, donated five million dollars to help relief efforts. Others, such as Canadian diva Celine Dion, rapper Kanye West and crooner Harry Connick Jr, a New Orleans native, have been harshly critical of government responses to the disaster.

Travolta declined to join in the criticism, saying he had seen both good and bad. "What we've seen in the shelters is wonderful, because people are being taken care of," he said. "What we've seen in the city is disastrous."

Caddo Parish in Louisiana (where Shreveport is) has offered special food stamps to people displaced by the storm. Their office will be open 24 hours until the 9th to process requests.

http://www.dss.state.la.us/departments/dss..._Benefit_I.html

Available: PLEASE FORWARD

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK THAT LIVES IN THE

SHREVEPORT-BOSSIER AREA. THANK YOU!

Disaster Relief is available in the form of a food stamp EBT card (like a

credit card) to anyone who lived in the areas devastated by Hurricane

Katrina. I work for the Dept of Social Services and our office at 1525

Fairfield is open 24/7 to provide these disaster relief food stamp cards.

For some reason, word is not getting out about this assistance so I thought

if we all send it to everyone in Louisiana that we have in our Email address

books, the word will spread.

To apply, the person in need needs to:

Go to 1525 Fairfield, Room 101 (corner of Fairfield and Jordan)

Bring a picture ID if you have it, SS card if you have that or a piece of

mail or something with your address on it.

You'll complete a one page simple application.

The cards are issued on site and the benefits will be available 4 hours

after receipt. They can be used at any grocery store and are easy to use as

they swipe in the credit card machine. You will be given a pin number when

you apply.

This is NOT just for the poor. It is for anyone displaced by the storm. We

are finding that many people might have large bank accts but they don't have

access to them. Others are not home to receive their SS checks, etc. Even if

they are staying with family or friends, having this card helps defray the

cost of feeding them.

The benefit amounts for each household are as follows:

1. $149

2. $274

3. $393

4. $499

5. $592

The amount increases based on the amount of people in your family. I just

listed the amounts for 1 to 5 member households.

These benefits are available in all Parish offices in Louisiana but I

believe Shreveport is the only one still open 24/7. I am not sure how much

longer we'll have the nighttime hours but it will be at least through

Tuesday.

Again, send this to everyone on your list who lives in Louisiana. The

assistance is available and it would be a shame for everyone who is eligible

not to make use of it. Tell your neighbors, friends and family as most

people know someone who has been affected by this catastrophic event.

Mary Salvail

Caddo Office of Family Support

Archived