SPOILERS - Numb3rs (CBS)

Numb3rs (CBS)

Airing Fridays at 10 p.m.

Episode 2.01 - Assassin

[Airing September 23]

• 08/04 - Don and Megan drop by the apartment of Elsie Korfelt, 74, to search the premises. Elsie's son Henry, 40, is an expert in making forged passports, birth certificates, etc. Henry escapes seconds before they can enter the apartment. Colby and David are also at the apartment complex. Henry assaulted a federal officer and helped an assassin get the needed documents, weapons and vehicles to commit a murder. Don's tasks force tries to get info from Henry in order to track down the assassin and prevent more murders. Larry, Charlie and Alan are also in the episode.
Episode 2.02 - Judgement Call:
  • 08/16 - Don is investigating the death of Judge Franklin Trelane's wife. David and Colby visit Danny Phan in county jail. He is the prime suspect in the murder. Phan is the number one of JFM, an LA-based Vietnamese street gang; an organization that is accused of kidnapping and murder of Asian immigrants. David and Colby visit the gang's Number Two, Raymond Hmong, after Phan said he was probably the one who ordered the hit on Trelane's wife. Charlie helps Don investigate by checking past cases that Judge Trelane presided. Alan and his sons have dinner together and chat about a hot prosecutor that Don seems to be interested in and the fact that Don should start dating again. Megan appears in the episode.
Episode 2.03 - Better Or Worse:
  • 08/25 - A woman storms in a jewelry store wanting to see the owner. She gives him a note and tells him that he has to help her or his wife and daughter will die. Once he does what is on the note, the woman tells him that he'll see his family again... in 24 hours... as long as the police and FBI aren't involved. A security guard kills her... will the owner see his family again? Don, his team and Charlie work on the case. Alan appears in the episode.

Episode 2.04 - Obsession

• 09/02 - A man entered the house of a famous woman, Lauren Wyatt, who's married to an actor. The woman has been receiving threatening letters and cards but no one took it seriously until now. Megan tries to come up with a profile for this intruder/stalker. Later, a photographer is found dead. Don's team tries to find the stalker and the murdered. Charlie, as usual, helps out.
General Spoilers
  • 07/18 - Casting news: The series premiere will introduce two new series regulars. Colby Granger, who did a tour of duty with the Army's Criminal Investigation Division, is now part of the FBI. The other series regular is Agent Jesse Wade. She is a 30-year-old attractive woman with common sense and determination. She used to work at the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit. She is now assigned to Don's team as a profiler. Note: The role of Jesse was renamed to Megan.
  • 08/12 - Casting news: The role of Megan, described above, is to be filled by Diane Farr (Rescue Me). Source: TV Guide Online
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Numbers

Loving Rescue Me's Diane Farr as the new behavioral scientist. What a great addition to this male-dominated show. And an extra bonus is that she's not quirky like Sabrina Lloyd was. Instead, she's smart and she seems to work well with Charlie by putting a personality to his equations. She may not get every mathematical word that he says but she's a good sounding board for his theories. I'm not quite loving Colby, the new FBI agent, he's too aggressive and too much of stereotypical rookie cop that you see on way too many shows. Hopefully, he'll mellow out a bit if he sticks around. Characters like that are the reason I stop watching those shows, and here, I'm way more interested in the unusual ways they solve these "ripped or adapted from the headlines" types of crimes than the standard criminal procedures. How else would they have managed to uncover those two completely unrelated suspects in those great big stacks of people that might want to get back at the judge? And on a random funny note I love listening to David Krumholtz rattle off these quantum theories and such, (not to mention that he's completely adorable when reciting said facts) because when we recently talked to him in our podcast he admitted that he was about as far from a math nerd as you can imagine. In fact, he barely passed algebra, but if you want to hear more, click here. It might keep you amused until the next week's episode.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Numbers

How is it that I get the sneaking suspicion that I might actually be learning some mathematical skills watching this show? Sure, when Charlie and Marshall (played by Roswell alum Colin Hanks, who picked up the lengthy lingo really quickly) were waging their war of the nerds, half the time I didn't understand what they were saying, but these days I've started using terms like "algorithms" and "convergence." Must be the cool way Charlie breaks his tough things down with simple analogies like tonight's comparison to jigsaw puzzles. Actually I'm not the only one who is picking up some of the geek speak. Agents Sinclair and Granger are also starting to understand Charlie's language and even went to him for help with their quest to find a bullet and ended up using calculators and grids to solve their case. That's big progress. Charlie should look at that example the next time he thinks he's wasting his time helping the FBI. Also, quote of the night came when Charlie faced his arch-nemesis Marshall, and the nerds were not only battling over theories, but also over Amita's attention. Charlie told him that Amita was a brilliant mathematical mind and "no matter how hard you try, you are never going to convince her that this [holding up two fingers about an inch apart] is six inches."

Courtesy of: TV GUIDEN THE WATERCOOLER

Numbers

What is it with meth this week? First on SNL last Saturday, Jason Lee participated in a skit about a meth-influenced TV show, then on Bones this week, the anthropologist and her crew uncovered a mummy that had been killed by a meth overdose. Then this week's Numbers has a pedophile meth dealer and an explosion in a meth lab. Apparently it is the TV drug of choice right now. Sounds like some scary stuff, especially the way it can get in the air and you could be inadvertently exposed to it. But the episode just felt a little bit weird with Charlie and Don bickering over the case. Charlie was just really passionate about this case and didn't understand why Don wouldn't listen to him, and Don didn't seem to appreciate that Charlie is basically a volunteer with a bunch of knowledge and instead tried to keep him out of the loop. They had been getting along so well, and even though Megan understood and talked to Charlie, he and Don never really resolved their issues, though they both seemed happy to have solved the case. Wonder if we'll still have this awkwardness between the siblings next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Numbers

I learned about another occupation I had no idea existed tonight: quantitative archaeology. I'm still not sure exactly what it means, but it has something to do with math and formulas and excavated remains. While the case was interesting, I have to say that the best part of the entire episode was Larry's dinner party. He made ice cream using nitrogen

Numbers

Bill Nye the Science Guy was on hand to help blow up some stuff in his lab. That's cool! I just wish we had gotten a chance to see more of him. But there was plenty of fun stuff in the episode, like an unflappable Alan wandering into his bathroom to find Charlie and Larry fiddling with his bathroom shower. Now another dad might question his adult son being in the shower with another guy, but not Papa Eppes. He ends up using his construction knowledge to help the math guys solve their fire-starter case. Though the case borrowed liberally from the plot of Backdraft, it was still pretty fun to watch unfold. I really liked the geeky guy who had a big part in some of the explosions. It was interesting to watch Charlie see what could have been if he hadn't had the family he had. A little bit It's a Wonderful Life-ish. Sweet moments like this make me feel so bad for Charlie, who really lost out on his childhood because of his genius ways. But at least now he's got his dad to rely on, and all things considered, he's a pretty well-adjusted human being.

SPOILER ALERT....HIGHLIGHT TO SEE.....DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Numb3rs (CBS) Updated on December 22

Airing Fridays at 10 p.m.

• 11/24 - Episode 2.12 - The O.G. [Airing January 6]:The team needs to track down a man named Travis Grant as he is the last person who saw FBI agent Anton Rhimes alive. Rhimes was undercover in a gang named the 23rd Street in which Grant is part of. The team believes Grant was there when Rhimes was shot. During interrogation, Grant claims that what happened to Rhimes will be dealt with (take one of ours, we take five of yours) and that some people are getting a message. Since it seems that Rhimes' cover wasn't blown (so he didn't die because gang members found out he was FBI), the team must try to find out what may have triggered someone to kill him. Amita and Charlie are supposed to play darts against the Geology department. Larry also appears.
  • 12/17 - Episode 2.13 - Double Down [Airing January 13]: A Russian 20-year-old man is killed after he played and won at Blackjack at a L.A. Card Club. There were four robberies reported at this club in the past six months. Don requires his brother's help when they find books with equations in the dead man's bag. Larry will find the equations a tad too familiar for his taste, which will lead him to helping Charlie and the FBI more than he usually does. Amita also appears.

• 12/22 - Episode 2.14 - Harvest : Alan, Amita, Larry and Charlie attend the last event of a math symposium. Charlie, a past winner of the Pascal Prize, is set to present the award to this year's winner, someone he knows very well. Four women travelled to L.A. in order to each sell a kidney. One woman is dead, two are missing, and the fourth is in FBI custody. Don and his team try to locate the missing girls.

End spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

01/08 - Episode 2.15 - The Running Man: Burglars steal something from a highly-secured CalSci DNA lab. Meanwhile, Charlie and Larry attend a night race held at CalSci. One of the runners is a student named Ron Allen, whom Larry says he may be the next Charles Eppes. Don and his team take care of the DNA lab case. Alan also appears.

• 3 weeks later...

01/23 - Episode 2.16 - Protest: A bomb placed under a government car parked near a U.S. Army Recruitment Office explodes killing a man and leaving his wife in shock. Don and his team try to stop the bomb makers before more antiwar protests kill more civilians. Alan knows one of the men involved in the explosion.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK AUSIELLLO

Question: Any scoop on Numbers, specifically David Krumholtz? I love math nerds!

• 2 weeks later...

02/10 - Episode 2.17 - Mind Games: A psychic called a search team and tipped them off about a location in the middle of nowhere where a crime has been committed. When the search team arrives there, they find a crime scene. Don and his team are called in. Charlie and the psychic will collide as one is all about facts and science and the other is not. Larry and Amita also appear.

02/10 - Episode 2.18 - All's Fair: While talking on her cellphone, a woman named Saida is taken and killed the day before she had an important interview. Saida was an Iraqi citizen in the states to make a documentary. She was an activist who received death threats. Don and his team work with Agent Kareem Allawi. Charlie has dinner with Susan Berry an old friend who is in town for a book signing. Both of them seem to have a liking for one another. Larry, Amita, and Alan also appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Running the 'Numb3rs' at Caltech

CBS drama entertains and puts math into accessible context

By Kate O'Hare

February 23 2006

22018388.jpg

David KrumholtzLOS ANGELES --

In the Friday CBS drama "Numb3rs" -- which returns with original episodes after the Winter Olympics -- David Krumholtz plays Charlie Eppes, a mathematician at a fictional university called Cal Sci, which, for all intents and purposes is Caltech, short for California Institute of Technology, in Pasadena.

On a bright but chilly January day on the Caltech campus, several of the "Numb3rs" cast are working next to the bucolic Throop Memorial Garden, with its ancient California stones and lily pond -- inhabited, as Krumholtz points out, by frogs and turtles.

In the show, Charlie helps out his brother, FBI agent Don (Rob Morrow), by coming up with clever ways to use mathematics in crime solving. Among those helping show creators Cheryl Heuton and Nick Falacci into coming up with those clever math solutions is Gary Lorden, executive officer for Caltech's math department.

Sitting in the garden between takes, Krumholtz points and says, "This building is the math department. I just went and visited him. I sat in on a couple of classes."

And, Krumholtz reports, no one recognized him. "That's what's amazing," he says. "These kids are so intense that, to some extent, they're missing out of that component. They don't often recognize me. I walk right past them. And the ones that do are probably the worst students."

Now that the show is settled in at Caltech, filming goes on while classes are in session. Students exhibit only a mild curiosity as they walk by scenes involving Krumholtz and fellow cast members Navi Rawat (as astrophysics grad student Amita Ramanujan), Peter MacNicol (theoretical physics Prof. Larry Fleinhardt), Alimi Ballard and Dylan Bruno (as FBI Agents David Sinclair and Colby Granger, respectively).

"David loves to go to Caltech to shoot," Falacci says, "because he's just so fascinated by the students."

Apparently he's interested in the teachers too, all the way back to the pilot, when the tech adviser was Dr. Tony Chan of UCLA.

"The first time I said, 'Do you want to meet a math teacher?'" Heuton recalls, "he said, 'Yes!' I remember one of his first questions after he heard Tony talk for a few minutes, he said, 'Do you dream in numbers?' And Dr. Chan was like, 'Yes, yes, I do.' I remember thinking, 'This is going to work.'"

Although Charlie is a Cal Sci professor, the dramatic needs of the show haven't allowed him to be seen teaching, and that's something both Krumholtz and the producers would like to address.

"The network," Krumholtz says, "is into establishing a franchise as this mathematician who helps the FBI with its FBI work, that oftentimes they worry that going into the classroom might be boring and over people's heads.

"We're just trying to figure out a fancy way to do a classroom scene that would apply itself to the crime."

"I would like to see him teaching as part of a story," Heuton says, "and something comes to him in the course of teaching."

While "Numb3rs" hasn't made it into the fictional classroom yet, it is having an impact on real ones. Texas Instruments, working with CBS and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, has created an educational outreach program with activities and problems based on particular episodes.

"Isn't this great?" Krumholtz says. "The last figure we got, there were upwards of 20,000 teachers who had ordered these programs, and it's being used and seen by 2 million kids across this country, from grades six through 12."

With the TI program, teachers can address a common complaint about math, which is students having trouble figuring out how it applies to the real world.

"What's so great about this show," Krumholtz says, "is not only do we put the math in context, but we're able to visualize it for the audience [through special effects]. We do these visual metaphors that are really quite powerful, and they're really well done. They make the math make just that much more sense.

"If we can turn around two kids in this country that otherwise might have no interest in mathematics just based on some cool special effects, then we've done our job. And I think we're influencing a lot more than two."

Also helping is the release of the season-one DVDs in May.

As the cast prepares to break for lunch, Lorden drops by.

"Krumholtz makes us proud," he says, "and glad that he's representing us, because he does it in a natural way, in an effective way. He's the sort of guy that you'd want as your math teacher, not just because he's spectacular looking, but because he's engaging, he's passionate, and he delivers the goods.

"I take some small credit for that, because sometimes that's what I'm able to do, suggest some way to explain things."

"Sometimes I kick myself," Krumholtz says, "for making the character too cool at times, the hair is too good, the clothes are too couture. But at the same time, I'm trying to glamorize and glorify who these people are."

When the lunch break comes, the curly-haired Krumholtz and the tall, balding Lorden head off side by side across campus, lost in intense conversation, which continues over the meal. Outside "Numb3rs," it's hard to imagine that these two people would ever have met, let alone become fast friends.

"It's interesting to see that there's an affinity there," Heuton says. "It's a thrill to watch it."

According to Heuton, Lorden gave a lecture at Caltech in which he mentioned "Numb3rs" and paid tribute to its star.

"David actually started to cry," Heuton says. "It's been a very warm relationship."

• 3 weeks later...

03/10 - Episode 2.19 - Dark Matter: There are shootings at a high school, killing many people. Don and his team try to find the killers. Could computer games have trigged those killings? Charlie, who had vowed to never set foot in a high school since he graduated, may have to visit the high school in order to gather information. Larry and Amita also appear.

• 2 weeks later...

03/13 - Episode 2.20 - Guns and Roses: The team goes to Nikki Amstead's house, an ATF agent who apparently just commited suicide. ATF agent Eric Turner is on the scene and tells Don he wants to help solve the case. Don is not talkative at all... could it be because he knew the deceased very well? After reviewing Nikki's background with Amita and Larry, Charlie is certain she didn't commit suicide.

03/28 - Episode 2.21 - Rampage: David interrogates a registered sex offender named Ryan McCall about a teenage girl who he supposedly courtshipped via that Internet. The girl is now in the hospital. The case seems pretty clear until Ryan turns up dead. Meanwhile, Charlie, Larry and Amita talk about the fact that earlier Larry and Charlie were talking about math and then a bullet went right past their heads.

03/28 - Episode 2.22 - Backscatter: The team investigates bank fraud when people's bank accounts (including Don's) are accessed and wiped out. They also have to find two bank employees who were kidnapped.

• 2 weeks later...

04/14 - Episode 2.23 - Undercurrents [Airing May 12]: The team must find the origins of a few dead Asian women, most of them were involved in a Chinese sex slave trade in the U.S., who are infected with bird flu before panic or an avian flu pandemic ensues. Megan interviews a reporter who knew one of the deceased. Will she accept to give him an exclusive on the story in return for information?

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Morrow's Got Your Numb3r

http://www.cbsnews.com

sag2.jpg

Rob Morrow stars in the CBS series "Numb3rs."

(CBS) Now in its second season, the CBS drama "Numb3rs" is catching on fast. The plot revolves around two brothers who use mathematics to solve complicated crimes.

Inspired by actual cases, the series shows how the analysis of numbers can provide unexpected answers to the most perplexing criminal questions. It also shows the fascinating dynamic between two brothers who could hardly be more different.

Rob Morrow stars as a streetwise FBI agent named Don Eppes. He visited The Early Show Thursday and told co-anchor Rene Syler that sometimes the personal stories are the most interesting part of the show. "There's been an aspect of the characters that I wanted to explore since I started doing research, which is the burden that this life puts on one, and their potential to have families and relationships," he said. "It's taken us a while to evolve the show to a point where we can explore these things."

Morrow, who got his big break in the well-loved series "Northern Exposure," says he's grateful not only for the success of his new show, but for the experience it has given him as an actor. "I've made a good living for a long time now. Even in my down years I've always kind of worked, whether it's low profile stuff," said Morrow. "But it's the idea of working with these people that I really love, these people that create the show, that run the show. I can't say it's not stressful and difficult, but it's a good time. It's fun."

And when Morrow says fun, he means scenes like the one in which he's in a shoot-out with the Russian mob.

"Must have been 40 guys between the ages of 25 and 40 and it was insane," he said. "We're all shooting automatic weapons and there's smoke and it's really crazy and they yell 'Cut!' and you see every one of us stand up with the biggest grins on our faces."

Visiting CBS brought Morrow, 43, from Los Angeles back to his hometown New York, and that's an experience he says he always enjoys. "I am a New Yorker, and I forget sometimes because you get used to the nice, easy life in L.A.," he said. "There's an energy, there's a compression here. As soon as you get here you get an energy and a vitality. I feel very creative here, and young for some reason."

Morrow is married to the actress Debbon Ayer. They have a daughter named Tu Morrow.

"Numb3rs" airs on CBS on Friday nights, 10:00 p.m. ET/PT.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Will Numbers Add Up to an Emmy Nod?

by Angel Cohn

060616insider1.jpg

Rob Morrow, Numbers

On the hit CBS drama Numbers (Fridays at 10 pm/ET), Rob Morrow plays Don Eppes, an FBI agent who is constantly picking his math-genius brother's brain in order to solve cases. Well, when TVGuide.com spent a few minutes picking the actor's brain for a change, the down-to-earth Morrow happily chatted about Numbers' Emmy chances, his golf game and all that math jargon.

TVGuide.com: Numbers always seems very intense, with a lot of locations and running around.

Rob Morrow: Definitely, and I like that. We set the bar. I don't think the show was intended to be that, but we just got into the action side of it and decided to expand on it. The family scenes are great because they are almost like one-act plays, while the action scenes are just play. It's like being a kid playing cops and robbers.

TVGuide.com: With a bulletproof vest.

Morrow: Totally! I love it. Half of the time when they say "Cut!" you just see me standing there with a big grin on my face.

TVGuide.com: Are there FBI people on set to help you?

Morrow: Oh, yeah. We have great technical advisors from the FBI who are there any time we do anything procedural or action-wise. I went and did some training with them, which was really helpful.

TVGuide.com: Do you understand a word of the math jargon that comes out of costar David Krumholtz' mouth?

Morrow: If you watch, in most of the scenes when they are talking about the math, you'll see me sitting there with kind of a quizzical look on my face saying, "Say that again?" "What was that?" "Put it in English." [Laughs] I kind of like physics and science, so I do know some of it, and some of the theories I've heard of, but I certainly don't know them well.

TVGuide.com: That's better than the average viewer.

Morrow: It might be. It's funny, a lot of people come up to me and say things like, "We love the show! We have no idea what you are talking about, but we love it."

TVGuide.com: Do you think it is just the math that makes Numbers different from all of the other procedurals out there?

Morrow: It's that and the family drama. I don't think any of them, except maybe Medium, really deal with a family dynamic. And we've only just skimmed the surface of where we hope to head with that. A lot of people tell me that their favorite scenes are the ones that end the show, with the family joking around or something. I think it puts it in perspective.

TVGuide.com: I especially enjoy the scenes between brothers Don and Charlie, who seem so comfortable together.

Morrow: They are, and I love that. You know what is weird? I didn't know Krummy, as I call him, before, but I knew his work. So when I was deciding whether to do it, I was like, "OK, I'm doing it because I know he and I are going to groove." It is easy, and I'm always glad to come into a scene when it is just he and I because I know the egos aren't going to get in the way and we are going to have fun. He is kind of like the little brother I wish I had.

TVGuide.com: Are any of those scenes ad-libbed based on your friendship with him?

Morrow: Yeah, we definitely ad-lib a fair amount.

TVGuide.com: Don seems very different from you on paper

• 5 weeks later...

Courtesy of:SPOILERFIX

Airing Fridays at 10 p.m. The show was renewed for a 3rd season and will keep its timeslot.

07/09 - Episode 3.01 - Spree, Part 1: A woman in her late 20s/early 30s named Crystal Hoyt and her 17-year-old boyfriend Buck go on a robbery and killing vengeance spree through seven states. Don, along with Charlie, tries to track them down before they do more damage. Megan interrogates a waitress who knows a lot about Crystal and her rocky past. Alan takes a decision that may not please Charlie. Colby and David also appear. [Note: Season 2 regular cast members are all back this season.]

• 3 weeks later...

07/30 - Episode 3.02 - Spree, Part 2, Daughters: David interrogates Billy Rivers, one of Crystal Hoyt's ex-boyrfriend and someone she was looking for. When Billy is not cooperating as they would like, the team digs up some dirt on his attorney. The team must work harder and faster when one of theirs is taken by Crystal. [Crystal's last name may have changed to "Hoyle".]

Numb3rs returns Friday September 22 at 10:00pm EST on CBS.

08/08 - Episode 3.03 - Traffic: The team investigates seemingly unrelated freeway attacks, such as a shooting of a husband and father of two. Megan interrogates a man who was left partially paralyzed with brain injuries after a car accident. This left him with a lot of anger issues. Colby and David question Calvin, a car wash clerk who has an instory of violent behavior. Don visits the group leader of a support group for head trauma victims in order to get info about some of his patients. Charlie helps Alan with the architectural plan of a mall.

Numb3rs returns Friday September 22 at 10:00pm EST on CBS.

Discussion and Media article here.....see spoiler thread for spoilers.

• 3 weeks later...

08/19 - Episode 3.04 - Provenance/span>: Don and his team investigate the theft of a Pissaro painting. The investigation soon turns into a homicide one. The painting once one in the Nazi hands before making its way to the USA.

08/27 - Episode 3.05 - The Mole: Larry wants to branch out. The team's case revolves arround the possible murder of a Chinese woman who worked as an interpreter.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Numbers Star Says, "Here, Kitty!"

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060901insider1.jpg

David Krumholtz in Looking for Kitty and (inset) Numbers

As Charlie on CBS' Numbers, David Krumholtz looks for mathematical solutions to puzzling crimes. In the latest film from Edward Burns (now playing in New York City), he's Looking for Kitty as Abe Fiannico, a sad sack whose honey has run out on him and off to the Big Apple. TVGuide.com asked Krumholtz about his latest indie excursion, and did some looking of our own

09/03 - Episode 3.06 - Longshot: While investigating the death of a young gambler, the team uncovers a major gambling fraud that may have resulted in the death of at least 40 people. Lauren (or Lee) Warner, an Asian-American FBI agent in her late 20s, was working undercover to find evidence of the gambling fraud. She teams up with Don, who was her tactical training instructor at Quantico, to investigate. Warner seems to have a liking for Don and is set to appear in several episodes.