South Park

mikede

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone has heard when new episodes on South Park are going to air. We are due for some
See the last paragraph of the story below

E! Online

Howdy Ho! More 'South Park'

by Sarah Hall

_636504_southpark300.jpg

'South Park's' Kenny, Cartman, Kyle and Stan

Dave Chappelle may have called it quits, but at least Comedy Central's still got South Park. The network announced that it had reupped the raunchy 'toon series for three more years, carrying Cartman and the gang though their 12th season on the air. The new contract calls for 14 new South Park episodes a year through 2008, with creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone continuing to write, direct and edit the show.

"I was at Comedy Central when we launched the first season of South Park, and I am thrilled to see them continue through 2008," Comedy Central President Doug Herzog said in a statement. "Matt and Trey are creative geniuses and a huge part of the Comedy Central family, and we look forward to continued success."

Renewing the show was something of a no-brainer, seeing as the antics of foulmouthed foursome Cartman, Kenny, Kyle and Stan consistently pull in the network's highest ratings. Since its inception in 1997, South Park has made a habit out of pushing the envelope on conventional limits, perhaps most notably with its season-five premiere in which the unbleeped S-word was uttered 162 times.

However, respite for the squeamish cartoon viewer is in sight, as a kinder, gentler version of the show is headed for non-cable airwaves in the near future. The series has been approved for syndication in markets including Los Angeles, New York and Chicago and cleaned-up episodes begin airing September 19. For those who prefer South Park in all its crass glory, the latest season of the show kicks off on Comedy Central on October 19.

• 1 month later...

ap_100.jpg

Q&A With 'South Park's' Stone and Parker

trey_matt.jpg

'South Park's' Trey Parker (left) and Matt Stone

With the political relevance of "The Daily Show" and the huge DVD sales (and subsequent hiatus) of "Chappelle's Show," it's easy to forget about that other Comedy Central show, "South Park." But Matt Stone and Trey Parker's crude cartoon will begin its ninth season on Wednesday, October 19 at 10 p.m.

"South Park" remains the Comedy Central's most-watched program. It is also, perhaps, still the most manic thing on television, with entire episodes created just days before they air. With a ripped-from-the-headlines approach, it's the "Law & Order" of comedy. The first episode, "Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow," tackles Hurricane Katrina by way of the neighboring town flooding.

Trey Parker, who turns 36 on Wednesday, October 19 and Matt Stone, 34, last month inked a deal for three more seasons and "South Park" has begun appearing in syndication in some markets both of which assure the world of Cartman, Kenny, Kyle, Stan and the rest will continue to expand.

parker_stone_cutouts240x200.jpg

Trey Parker and Matt Stone

AP: Cartman once described independent movies as "gay cowboys eating pudding." Now we have "Brokeback Mountain," an upcoming movie by Ang Lee about gay cowboys.

Matt Stone: If they have pudding in that movie, I'm going to lose my mind.

Trey Parker: No, if there's pudding eating in there, we're going to sue.

AP: Are you guys prophets?

Stone: No, but Cartman is. (laughs) We went to Sundance a lot in the mid-to-late '90s, and you could just tell it was going toward gay cowboydom.

AP: The first episode will be Wednesday . . . It's a fast process for you, isn't it?

Parker: It is. We take a lot of time before just to come up with the broad ideas, but until the Thursday before that Wednesday, that's when we really sit down and go "OK, how can we tell this story?" And it leaves us a lot of room, too. A lot of times on a Thursday, we'll sit down and go, "Hey, have you seen this Terri Schiavo thing? This is huge, we should do a story about that."

South,0.jpg

Matt Stone and Trey Parker

AP: Sometimes 'South Park' is quite topical.

Parker: Yeah, the reason we're able to do that is it's still just Matt and I really doing most everything. We still write, direct and edit every episode ourselves. . . . We can sit there on a Tuesday night and (rewrite the third act), run in the booth next door, record all the voices, get the storyboards together, edit it and see it in a couple hours. It's pretty amazing. It's pretty amazing, too, having done it almost nine years.

AP: Does the fast process backfire sometimes?

Stone: I actually think that makes the show better in a weird way. It's kind of a punk-rock ethic. Like albums that are too produced, you can tell they produced all the magic out of it.

Parker: It's a little more White Stripes.

AP: Are you surprised at the longevity of 'South Park'?

Stone: It's totally crazy. When we first did the show, we thought it would be six episodes and then we'd be done and now we're in our ninth season and signed up to do three more years.

AP: What do you do to keep it fresh?

Parker: It's so much fun, since we still do everything, you can sort of see our growth as writers. When we started this show, we knew how to do funny, outrageous stuff, but we didn't know how to write.

stone_parker.jpg

Matt Stone and Trey Parker

AP: Is there something you're personally sensitive about or is everything fair game?

Stone: We have a really funny breast cancer episode coming up. (laughs) I just think it's not contradictory to make fun of something and be sensitive about it. It's just the way we examine the world. "Sensitive" isn't the right word, but we actually have thoughts and feelings about all this stuff; it's not just destruction-oriented.

Parker: Just last week we were on a plane and we were pretty positive we were going to die and we were making jokes. It really, really felt like the end, and we were making jokes.

AP: Are you thinking about another movie?

Parker: Um, no.

Stone: "Team America" almost killed us. We'd like to figure out a way to do our own movies, but not die doing them, and maybe help some other people produce their movies, like graduate to the next level because we are getting up there in age.

AP: What about a live-action movie?

Stone: Like "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo"? (laughs) That's what we should do, really.

Parker: We could make so much money if we would just write scripts like that and go shoot them and put big stars in them. But, first of all, we hate actors. And second, I just can't imagine being on a set of a movie like "Deuce Bigalow."

• 1 month later...

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

Farrellys' 'South Park' Smackdown

cartman_mom_special_olympics.jpg

In the 'South Park' controversial episode, 'Up the Down Steroid,'

Mrs. Cartman drives her son, Cartman, to the Special Olympics.

Is Cartman a crook? Peter and Bobby Farrelly, the gross-out gurus behind "Dumb and Dumber" and "There's Something About Mary" are accusing "South Park" masterminds Trey Parker and Matt Stone of ripping off a movie idea.

Per Daily Variety, the Farrellys claim a 2004 "South Park" episode, in which Cartman pretends to be mentally disabled to compete in the Special Olympics, blatantly copied "The Ringer," the brother's upcoming movie about, yes, a guy who feigns a mental disability to win the Special Olympics.

Parker and Stone's story line pissed off the Farrellys and 'Ringer' writer Ricky Blitt so much that it sparked ill will between the two comedy teams. "When you think of a premise so radical it's unmakable, you hang in for seven years to see it through, it is a shock to the system to have people on Websites saying, 'You hack, you stole this from South Park,'" Blitt tells Variety.

d.jpg

'The Ringer' starring Johnny Knoxville

Blitt said, "I set this up so long before that episode was conceived. It is bad enough to have your idea taken: It's 1,000 times worse when you are then accused of stealing." "The Ringer," starring ex-"Jackass" Johnny Knoxville as the faux Special Olympian, is scheduled for release December 23.

There's been no mention of a lawsuit, but Peter Farrelly, who produces the film with his brother, believes the plot similarities weren't an accident. "There is no way those guys didn't know we were making this very movie as they took it upon themselves to do that episode," he tells Variety.

"They know what they did and they know it was wrong. Period. These are guys I have always respected, but what they did was very creepy," remarked Peter Farrelly. Blitt says he had shopped his screenplay all over town, including to Parker and Stone, before the Farrellys and their Connundrum Entertainment snapped it up.

Normal_southpark.jpg

'South Park's' Animators Matt Stone and Trey Parker

But veteran producer Bob Kosberg ("Twelve Monkeys"), who pitched "The Ringer" to the "South Park" brain trust, tells the trade he never actually spoke to Parker and Stone about the screenplay, and the pair themselves have denied ever hearing about the concept.

"I can totally see why Ricky would be bummed about people accusing him of stealing an idea he came up with himself," Stone says in Variety. "But this is a matter of people having the same idea, and I assure you we weren't aware of the movie when we did that episode."

"And I don't agree with Peter's point that you should back off if you have an idea and find someone else has it too. It should be a race to the market," Stone adds. "I don't think that is all their movie has going for it Getting the Special Olympics to take part, now that is a cool thing."

farrelly_bros.jpg

The Brothers Bobby and Peter Farrelly

The Farrellys, who volunteer for Best Buddies, a mentoring program for people with mental retardation, wanted to make sure the film didn't stigmatize the athletes and sought counsel from the Special Olympics. The brothers even went so far as giving the organization final script approval.

Parker and Stone's take-no-prisoners comedy has targeted everything from the war in Iraq to "The Passion of the Christ" to Michael Jackson's legal problems to a recent episode lampooning Tom Cruise's affiliation with the Church of Scientology.

When discussing the origins of their puppet flick, "Team America: World Police," Parker and Stone went on saying they had intended to use a purloined copy of "The Day After Tomorrow" script and shoot it word for word with puppets and release it the same day the live-action version. Their lawyers convinced them otherwise.

Matt-Trey_2005.jpg

'South Park's' Animators Matt Stone and Trey Parker

However, Parker and Stone are themselves involved with the disabled, financing and executive producing "How's Your News?," a series of documentaries featuring mentally challenged reporters interviewing high-profile celebs, politicians and regular folk.

Sensitive to the Farrellys' accusations, the two maintain their innocence. "It's hard for Trey and I to hear them come down on us like we ripped off an idea," Stone says in a Variety interview. "I met Bob Farrelly once for about four minutes. I never met anybody else, neither has Trey, and we knew nothing about their movie."

"We thought of the idea for that episode early on, but we couldn't make it for two or three seasons. When the show expanded, we were able to make it," Stone explained. "I don't think it means that much; if 'The Ringer' is a good movie; it will do well."

cartman_bus.jpg

'South Park's' Cartman takes notes of his observations on the bus

of the handicapped kids' mannerisms so he can mimic them and

enter the Special Olympics.

"And I remember wanting to remake 'King Kong,' 10 years ago," Stone remarked in the Variety interview. "Does that mean I was ripped off? I wish they wouldn't attack us, and 'creepy' is kind of harsh."

Parker and Stone just inked a three-year production deal with Paramount to write and direct movies. They're signed to produce new episodes of "South Park" for Comedy Central through 2008. The Farrellys, meanwhile, are attempting to stage their long-gestating update of "The Three Stooges."

• 2 weeks later...

eonlinesmlogo55x26.jpg

'South Park' Stalled by Complaints

randy_pulled_over.jpg

Stan is embarrassed in front of his friends when his

dad gets pulled over for drunk driving in the 'South

Park' episode, 'Bloody Mary.'

Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish? Following the December 7 season finale of "South Park," titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday, December 28 as part of a mini-marathon entitled, "Season Rewind." The block of episodes was to feature all of Season 9 but the finale was pulled from the Comedy Central mini-marathon lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood. Eventually, Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate the religious phenomena.

stan_and_dad.jpg

In the 'South Park' episode, 'Bloody Mary,' Stan and

his dad discuss Mr. Marsh's 'disease.'

Upon further exploration, the Pope determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special. "A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

StarvinCartman.gif

No stranger to controversy, 'South Park' Season 3

featured a very slimmed down Cartman on a cross

in 'Spontaneous Combustion.'

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic." Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

In the statement, Califano apologized, "It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule. Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site or on comedycentral.com's "South Park" section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a "South Park" episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'South Park's' Hayes Hospitalized for Exhaustion

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

08:03 AM PT

isaachayes_berniemacshow_240.jpg

Soul legend Isaac Hayes is taking a break.

The voice of "South Park's" Chef was being treated at a Memphis hospital Tuesday, Jan. 17 for exhaustion, report news sources. He is reportedly recovering nicely.

"He's just overworked and had been in Atlantic City performing, the D.C. area performing, and in Tunica (Miss.) a couple of nights ago," longtime songwriting partner David Porter told The Commercial Appeal newspaper.

Hayes, 63, won the best song Oscar for the "Theme from Shaft" in 1972. He is also known as the voice of the randy Chef in the animated "South Park" series on Comedy Central.

He's also appeared in a number of films including "Escape from New York," "I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka," "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" and "Hustle & Flow."

WENN.jpg

Cruise Censors 'South Park' Episode

TomCruise240x200.jpg

The Animated Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise has reportedly stopped an episode of "South Park" that mocks him from being aired in Britain. The show, in which Nicole Kidman and Cruise's fellow Scientologist, John Travolta are depicted attempting to coax an animated version of the actor out of a closet caused controversy when broadcast in the America.

In the animated episode, Kidman tells Cruise, "Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the closet. You're not fooling anyone." The episode's dialogue refers to ongoing allegations about Cruise's sexuality. According to TheRegister.co.uk, Paramount has agreed not to show the episode again, after Cruise complained.

A source tells the site, "Tom is famously very litigious and will go to great lengths to protect his reputation. Tom was said not to like the episode and Paramount just didn't dare risk showing it again. It's a shame that British audiences will never see it because it's very funny."

So that makes 2 out ofthe last 7 episodes that they can't run again. this is ridicolous.
It does seem the powers that be are gunning for "South Park." However, I'm not sure if the censorship is here in the States. The Tom Cruise-themed "Trapped in a Closet" episode is being banned in Britain according to the story above. Although I'm sure once that happens, Cruise or his legal eagles will start legal proceedings here as well.

variety_logo100x24.jpg

'South Parks' at iTunes

by Denise Martin

southpark.jpg

'South Park'

"South Park" is coming to iTunes. Visitors to the musicstore will have access to the first two seasons of the toon from Trey Parker and Matt Stone, in addition to other series from MTV Networks. The cable group announced Wednesday, January 25 that it had cut deals with iTunes to make 14 series available for download at the standard $1.99-per-episode rate.

Starting today, full seasons of MTV's "Laguna Beach," "Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Gauntlet 2," "Beavis & Butthead," "Jackass," "Punk'd" and "My Super Sweet 16," as well as MTV2's "Wonder Showzen," are available.

Also: Nickelodeon's "Dora the Explorer," "SpongeBob SquarePants" and "Zoey 101"; tween network the N's "South of Nowhere"; and several Comedy Central standup specs starring comedians such as Lewis Black, Dave Attell and Dane Cook.

As part of the package, iTunes will offer next week's episode of "Drawn Together" three days ahead of its on-air bow, as well as 24-hour advances on episodes of "Zoey 101" and "South of Nowhere."

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: COMEDY CENTRAL, SOUTH PARK

South Park

Wednesday Mar 22 2006 10:00 PM on Comedy Central

TBD - New episode (TBDN)

Everyone's favorite 4th graders embark on new adventures in this all new episode of South Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: YAHOO, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS & GOSSIP

Isaac Hayes Quits 'South Park'

Monday March 13 5:07 PM ET

thumb_nyet125_people_isaac_hayes.sff.jpg

Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem and he's cashed plenty of checks with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

variety_logo100x24.jpg

Cable Pulls 'South Park' Scientology Repeat

by Michael Fleming

rt_scientology_060317_sp.jpg

Tom Cruise vs. 'South Park'

The battle between "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone and Scientology is escalating. The dust-up gained steam last week when Isaac Hayes, a practicing Scientologist who has long been the voice of the character Chef, quit after objecting to a "South Park" episode called "Trapped in the Closet," which lampooned both the religion and Tom Cruise.

The skirmish continued this week, when Comedy Central abruptly pulled a repeat of that episode that was scheduled to air on the evening of Wednesday, March 15. Showing instead was another memorable segment which featured Hayes's character, called "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls."

Blog reports pegged the mysterious episode switch to objections raised by Cruise, who, the reports stated, threatened to not promote "Mission: Impossible 3," the summer tentpole for Viacom-owned Paramount. A spokesman for Cruise denied that Cruise had ever made such a threat. "He never said any such thing about 'Mission: Impossible 3," the spokesman said.

bffilm04.jpg

While the "South Park" creators didn't directly comment on Comedy Central's decision to pull the episode, they issued an unusual statement to Daily Variety indicating the battle is not over.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the statement declared. Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies."

"Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!" The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

ap_100.jpg

'South Park' vs. Scientology Battle Rages On

parkerstone.jpg

'South Park's' Trey Parker and Matt Stone

"South Park" has declared war on Scientology. Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated satire, are digging in against the celebrity-endorsed religion after a controversial episode mocking outspoken Scientologist Tom Cruise was yanked abruptly from the schedule on Wednesday, March 15.

An Internet report claimed it was covert warfare by Cruise that led to the episode's departure. The Internet blogger hollywoodinterrupted.com said that Cruise threatened to not promote "Mission: Impossible 3," a surefire summer blockbuster, if the offending episode ran. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, as is Paramount, which is putting out the film.

But Cruise's representative, Arnold Robinson, told The Associated Press Friday, March 17 that the mega-star made no such demands. "Not true," Robinson said. "I can tell you that he never said that." A call by The Associated Press to a Paramount representative was not returned Friday.

cruise_southpark200.jpg

'South Park's' Animated Tom Cruise

The episode in question, "Trapped in the Closet," which first aired last November, shows Scientology leaders hailing Stan, one of the show's four devilish fourth-graders, as a savior. A cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out. An animated John Travolta, another famous Scientologist, enters the closet to try to get him out.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators told Daily Variety in a statement. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies . . . You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

realchef.jpg

Isaac Hayes was the voice of Chef

The battle began in earnest earlier this week when Isaac Hayes, another celebrity Scientologist and longtime show member voicing the ladies' man Chef quit the show, saying he could no longer tolerate its religious "intolerance and bigotry."

Stone and Parker didn't buy that either. On Monday, March 13, Stone told The Associated Press in an interview, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology . . . He had no problem in the past when we made fun of other religions and he's cashed plenty of checks with our show making fun of Christians."

A Comedy Central spokesman said that the network pulled the controversial episode to make room for two shows featuring Hayes. "In light of the events of earlier this week, we wanted to give Chef an appropriate tribute by airing two episodes he is most known for," the spokesman said.

Reuters100x26.jpg

Chef Cooks Again On 'South Park'

180x180.jpg

'South Park's' Chef

Soul singer Isaac Hayes may have quit his job as the voice of Chef on "South Park" after a disagreement over religion, but his character will live on when the satiric cable TV cartoon returns to Comedy Central this week, the network said on Monday, March 20.

Hayes and his "South Park" alter ego are at the center of an ongoing flap over an episode last November that poked fun at the Church of Scientology and its celebrity adherents, including actor Tom Cruise.

The tenth season of "South Park" will launch on Wednesday with a new episode titled "The Return of Chef!," marking the "triumphant homecoming" of lusty school cafeteria cook James 'Chef' McElroy to the show, the network said in a statement.

inside-hayes.jpg

Isaac Hayes

Hayes, 63, himself a follower of Scientology, surprised producers a week ago by announcing he was leaving the series because he objected to its "inappropriate ridicule" of religion, though he made no reference to the show's spoof of Scientology last fall.

Two days later, Comedy Central abruptly pulled a scheduled repeat of that episode, titled "Trapped in the Closet." Sources close to the show said the rerun was canceled after Cruise threatened to boycott promotion of his upcoming film, "Mission: Impossible III," for sister studio Paramount Pictures.

Representatives for Cruise and the studio denied this. But "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone fed the furor by issuing a statement suggesting the Church of Scientology was behind the decision to scrap the rerun. The network has also noted that various religions including Christianity, Judaism and Islam have been targets of the show's satire since its inception.

south-park.jpg

The network statement announcing Chef's return for the "South Park" season premiere this Wednesday, March 22 was a clear sign that Parker and Stone planned to use the Hayes imbroglio as further grist for their comedy. Both Comedy Central and Paramount are owned by Viacom Inc.

"Knowing these guys as I do, I can't imagine that they're not going to do just that," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox told Reuters. He added that the producers routinely "turn around" new episodes in just six days, leaving them ample time to incorporate last week's dust-up into their season debut.

IsaacHayesasChef_200.jpg

Isaac Hayes and his animated alter ego, Chef

Fox said he assumed someone besides Hayes would supply Chef's voice. Details of the new episode were vague. But a network synopsis said the fictional town of South Park, Colorado, is "jolted out of a case of the doldrums when Chef suddenly reappears," leading to new antics by the group of foul-mouthed fourth graders who are the show's stars.

"While Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled to have their old friend back, they notice that something about Chef seems different. When Chef's strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all the stops to save him."

Great Ep.

The followingis Kyle's speech at Chef's funeral

"We're all here today because Chef has been such an important part of all of our lives. A lot of us dont agree with a lot of the choices chef has made in the past few days, some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us. But we cant let the events of the last week take away the memories of how much Chef made us smile. I'm gonna remember Chef as the Jolly guy who always broke into song, I'm gonna remember Chef as the guy who gave us advise to live by. So you see, we shouldnt be mad at chef for leaving us, We should be mad at the fruity little club for scrambling his brains. And in the end, i know that somewhere outthere, theres the good part of Chef, thats still alive in us all."

Chef gets big send-off on 'South Park'

By DAVID BAUDER

AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Isaac Hayes' Chef character got a true "South Park" send-off Wednesday night - seemingly killed off but mourned as a jolly old guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club."

The thinly disguised satire continued the show's feud with Scientologists in its 10th season premiere on Comedy Central.

The soul singer has voiced the Chef character in "South Park" since 1997, but left recently because of what he called the animated show's religious "intolerance and bigotry." Founders Matt Stone and Trey Parker said Hayes, a Scientologist, was mad that "South Park" mocked the religion in an episode last November.

A rerun of that Scientology episode was mysteriously pulled off the air last week amid published reports that actor Tom Cruise, another Scientologist, had used his clout to bury it. A Cruise spokesman denied that.

Hayes didn't participate in making Wednesday's episode; the character's lines appeared to be patched together through tapes of past dialogue.

Chef repeatedly said he wanted to "make sweet love" to the "South Park" elementary school kids - it seems the "Super Adventure Club" turns its members into child molesters.

The children try to rescue Chef, but in the end he turns to head back to the "Super Adventure Club" - until he falls off a bridge onto rocks, is burned, stabbed and mauled by a mountain lion and bear.

Then he apparently dies.

"A lot of us don't agree with the choices the Chef has made in the last few days," one of the children eulogizes him at a funeral. "Some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us. But we can't let the events of the past few weeks take away the memories of how Chef made us smile.

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us," the eulogy concludes. "We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains."

The door for Hayes' return wasn't completely closed. In the show's final scene, members of the "Super Adventure Club" try to revive Chef, and it's not clear he's really dead.