Preemptions and Politics

Scuba

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XandraSkye
Sorry Scuba, TVGuide.com was no help. Didn't show any Presidential thing so I'm not sure if it means there is gonna be one or not. They might not of updated yet that's all.

Here's the answer everyone: quoted in USA today

New York : What is your position on the controversial decision of CBS, NBC, and Fox to not run Thursday's Presidential address? 

Robert Bianco: I agreed with the networks. There was nothing particularly newsworthy or of national import in the speech that required all of the networks to preempt their schedules. Those who wanted to hear the president had plenty of other choices, over the air and on cable.

whoo hoo!!!! never been so proud if the networks!!!

Guest XandraSkye
Groovy....double groovy. Especially since I'm writing the 4th segment recap. I didn't want to have to wait until 10:30pm to watch it then write about it.

Groovy....double groovy.  Especially since I'm writing the 4th segment recap.  I didn't want to have to wait until 10:30pm to watch it then write about it.

that would suck big time!

Here's the answer everyone: quoted in USA today

New York : What is your position on the controversial decision of CBS, NBC, and Fox to not run Thursday's Presidential address? 

Robert Bianco: I agreed with the networks. There was nothing particularly newsworthy or of national import in the speech that required all of the networks to preempt their schedules. Those who wanted to hear the president had plenty of other choices, over the air and on cable.

Is that from the paper or the website?

george needs to pick a different nite to talk....he picked the best tv nite of the week!!

No kidding. He should have done it last night.

I am from Ohio too, near Toledo.

howdy! i'm from the akron area

Guest ranster627

CNN Coverage of this News coverage begins at 8:00 pm EST, just announced ...

As for network coverage, haven't heard about that yet ...

Guest ranster627
They are advertising on the morning news that President Bush will make a rare television appearance tonight at 7:30 Central time, well for me that is in the middle of Survivor..Does anyone know if Survivor will be on in it's entirety after the speech...

I'm sure Bush has nothing to say that can't be said at 5pm or 10pm news.  Why do they do this on all the channels, pick a few channels like the local PBS and a few cable channels and leave the primetime line-up alone..I am being selfish I'm sure but they really should use other channels.

Right, like CNN or MSNBC or something.  Grrr.....  Bush is my least favorite actor and I don't understand why his show hasn't been canceled yet.  Betcha that's one show we'll never see on DVD.  :wink:
i want to know if its going to take survivor off or not!
This is a quote from CNN as of 10:00 AM EST

"President Bush will hold a prime time news conference Thursday to discuss two "important priorities" for the White House -- Social Security and energy -- a spokesman said."

The CNN article does not say anything about the time of the news conference.  I hope that CBS is smart and gives us an anouncement that - "Survivor will be broadcast in full after the news conference" - as they have with other prime time shows that have been interrupted by a planed event!!

Well the only good thing that could come out of that, is I may be able to catch Survivor after work after all, if it is on later lol
April 28, 2005 11:47am ET The Early Show CBS Evening News 48 Hours 60 Minutes (SUN) 60 Minutes (WED) All Broadcasts

Bush Ready For Q & A

WASHINGTON, April 28, 2005

Bush To Push Soc Sec Plan

(CBS/AP) President Bush is expected to address motorists' concerns about high gas prices and push for an overhaul of the Social Security system during what will be his sixth news conference since his November re-election.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said the 8:30 p.m. EDT Thursday news conference is timed to coincide with the end of administration officials' nationwide tour to convince Americans that the nation's retirement system needs to be revamped.

CBSNews.com will provide a live Webcast of the news conference scheduled to begin at 8:30 p.m. EDT Thursday.

edited by ranster for continuity

Guest Anonymous

I may be way up in the Canadian boonies -- but are these issues ummmm... big in the US right now? The prime minister was on last week too -- but thats because he's been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

I may be way up in the Canadian boonies -- but are these issues ummmm...  big in the US right now?  The prime minister was on last week too -- but thats because he's been caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

NO...these issues are discussed daily by every level of politician from Bush down to my local Councilman....I see no reason for a news conference, nothing new to add as far as I could tell from the press release, we know gas prices went up :twisted: ...then they went down :) ...then the barrel price went up :evil: ...then it went up higher :twisted: :evil: ....then the gas prices went down :P ..as barrel prices went down again :lol: ..gas prices then dropped to their lowest last week :lol::) , then whoola the barrel went up again :twisted: and golly gee the price per gallon went up again :evil: ...WE KNOW THIS ALL...and as for social security...nothing has changed since he spoke in January about it.. :x .

If he wants to interupt my Survivor to tell me my son and everyone else's family members are coming home from Iraq...well then I'll give him 5 minutes...but other than that, I don't want to hear it.. :roll:

Okay I called the local CBS and was told that as of now they are not planning on carrying the presidents speech, she did say of course that is subject to change, but if they did interupt Survivor she said that it would be played in full after the speech from the point of interuption. So as for us here in the New Orleans area looks like we are safe...still hoping for no speech at all, but I'm content in the fact of knowing I can resume watching after the speech is over. Woo Hoo.... :P

Like Bush is going to do anything about the gas prices  :roll:

Nothing w/ gas, but we know what he'll do w/ Social Security..DRAIN IT..YAY!! :roll:

:rofl :rofl

Boy moody did you guess it right. BOO HISSSS on George for INTERRUPTING SURVIVOR