Wow...even Maggie is racist

Ruby Tuesday

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We haven't know the HGs for long at all. If your best friend or mother calls someone a Ni**er ( I despise that word) in the heat of the moment once in the 24 years (my age) you have lived and been wit around her and this was the first time she ever said that word would you deem her a racist?

I don't know is the word Ni**er something that can slip out casually when pissed off? If it was something that happened long ago, the person migth have changed and is not a racist. But if I were to have suddenly called someone a ni**er without feeling sorry about it, even though I may never have said it before I'd think really hard about what my attitudes towards race are.

And Ivette is a racist. She has no filter when it comes to what she says. She's too aware of what she says for it to be dismissed as heat of passion remarks.

Guest afwife
I don't know is the word Ni**er something that can slip out casually when pissed off?  If it was something that happened long ago, the person migth have changed and is not a racist. But if I were to have suddenly called someone a ni**er  without feeling sorry about it, even though I may never have said it before I'd think really hard about what my attitudes about race really are.

And Ivette is a racist.  She has no filter when it comes to what she says. She too aware of what she says  forit to be dismissed as heat of passion remarks.

I never said she wasn't sorry about it. Of cours she was. Well all I was saying is everyone has their own opinion. Here is an example, my best friend lives with an african american. They got into a huge fight and my best friend called her roomate the N word. After the dust settled they made up and are still friends. You may call her racist but I have know her for over six years and I don't and will never consider her a racist.

Remember that incident when Beau or someone started talking about Kaysar smelling like curry? They ALL laughed (Jennifer was HOH), and no matter how friendly they were, someone should have at least pointed out that Arabs arent Indian...or at least chastised the speaker for saying something so...low...

Yeah...someone makes an "off color" remark you have to take a stand at that moment. If you don't, it will continue and it will grow. Then you have riots...

Be an adult, take a stand on discrimination of any sort.

Uhhhhh excuse meeeee. My little dawling Maggie is not a racist. Italian is not a race.

So had someone referred to Eric as that Jew would it be allowed too.

WELL doesn't matter because from what i seen posted, the sheep referred to Big Brother viewers as peices of shit so i don't care if they are or aren't racists, they are idiots.

Child, don't worry i'm an ATHEIST i put down every religion. I think there all ridiculous.

Just because you are an athiest doesn't mean you need to be an asshole.

It's just good manners to respect other people's opinions on religion and faith, be they Christian, Muslim, Athiest, Jewish, Hindu, etc...

Acting like a know-it-all is tres gauche, dahling.

I agree with you totally. I have never called people those names and detest when others around me do so and will let them know of my displeasure. Being Irish descent, I have heard a lot of people call us Mc's but actually I have never found that as offensive as the names you quoted. You have to be very careful today but actually it is only respect to not use these horrible names. As you said, they could refrain for the 3 months or so of the game.

I don't!  Call me a freak, but I have never referred to someone as a sand nigger, a Polack, or a guido.  I have managed to get this far in my life without doing so.  And I'm certain that I could refrain for at least 3 months.

Do you all really talk like that at home?

It's just good manners to respect other people's opinions on religion and faith ...

Acting like a know-it-all is tres gauche, dahling.

First, it may be good manners but it's NOT always the right thing to do - especially when, as so often recently, htose opinions include the belief that because they're "following God's word" they have the right to enforce those beliefs on others (cf. the abortion issue, "Creationsism" and the Kansas Board of Education, etc.).

Second (for the person with diamonds in the sole of her name, up the payge someplace), "Jew" is not an offensive word! It's the correct word for naming someone who practices Judaism. (I laugh when people hesitate to use it, because it means that to THEM saying that someone follows that religion IS insulting the person!)

But MOST important, NO words are "offensive"!

Words just ARE!

The "offense" is in the mind of some PEOPLE.

Remember 5th grade: "The subject of the sentence is what the sentence is about"?

So "That word is offensive" is a false statement - it's about someone's mind but the subject is "That word"!.

The CORRECT sentence is "SO-and-so was offended by that word." There, "so-and-so" is the subject and the sentence is ABOUT "so-and-so".

This makes it clear that the problem is in the mind of the "offended" person. And to ANYONE who is offended by a word , I say "get over it"!

If you want to be offended by IDEAS someone expresses, that's different, but reacting emotionally to a word means you've let the SOUND of that word cause your gut to react (increased heart rate, faster breathing, stopping digestion, etc.) and that's ROBOTIC - you're wired in a way that lets other peoploe push your buttons.

And that means that I don't have much interest in listening to what you (think you) believe, since it's going to turn out to be a matter of how you were "programmed" (inadvertantly) by your environment. Who cares?

REASONED dialogue - the medium for moving closer and compromising, requires getting past the point where we find a word offensive.

"I learned the truth from Lenny Bruce."

--- Paul Simon

First, it may be good manners but it's NOT always the right thing to do - especially when, as so often recently, htose opinions include the belief that because they're "following God's word" they have the right to enforce those beliefs on others (cf. the abortion issue, "Creationsism" and the Kansas Board of Education, etc.).

I am not advocating that people allow someone to enforce their faith on others. THAT is, by definiton an insult to "other" religions. My point is that I have NO tolerance for anyone claiming their faith to be superiour, be that faith Christianity, Atheism, etc.

So saying that "all religions are stupid and wrong" is just as intolerable as claiming that "all people should be Christian".

Guest TheGnome
I never said she wasn't sorry about it. Of cours she was. Well all I was saying is everyone has their own opinion. Here is an example, my best friend lives with an african american. They got into a huge fight and my best friend called her roomate the N word. After the dust settled they made up and are still friends. You may call her racist but I have know her for over six years and I don't and will never consider her a racist.

Yes, sorry, but I'd surely call her a racist. Hateful, at the least. It's obviously something she thinks or has used before if it was an option she chose to use. Feeling bad doesn't change that. Just IMO. <_<

Archived