The Contender

nicolemason

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler: which contender will return? Do Not Look if you don't want to know:

Previews for next week's episode of The Contender revealed that one boxer will leave and another will return, after being voted back by the remaining contenders. So who will return, and why will one leave?

If you Really want to know:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Sources tell reality blurred that one boxer will break his wrist, injuring himself so severely that he has to leave. The boxer who will take his place is apparently Peter Manfredo, the previously undefeated boxer who was eliminated in the first episode. And having been given a second life on the show, Manfredo -- known as "The Pride of Providence" -- will apparently last well into the competition.

Thanks for the tid bit Salter-path. Interesting, wondering which fighter will be leaving us???????? Kinda bummed tho, would have liked to see Jonathan be the one returning. He did seem to be a good guy WITH many children!

Nicolemason.......Oh hollywood was a real piece of work.....hahahaha his little chikita wont be getting married to soon! :twisted: At one point I thought she and Ishe's wife would go a round or two HEHEHEHEHEHE

I was literally standing in my living room rooting Ishe on. I agree they both have a little aditude, but to see Hollywood go first was nice. Ishe will have a few tough battles in front of him. Jessie is my main go getter......but im affraid he may bump heads with many ans suffer an early demise due to it.

Okay, had to start a new one because I like this show so much.

I was very happy to see Ishe beat "Hollywood", I think they both have too much attitude, but at least Ishe has a family that he loves.  The other guy and his woman seem like they are too materialistic.

I'd have to totally agree here!! I mean, Ishe is my hero in this competition, and Baby Face should be called glove face he was smacked around so much. Poor baby won't get to marry his cheap lil wife :twisted:

Just my opionion but this show totally sucks. It sucks worse than the Fox rip off "The Next Great Champ". If you want to watch a good reality fighting show check out "The Ultimate Fighter" on SpikeTV. That show kicks ass.

Just my opionion but this show totally sucks. It sucks worse than the Fox rip off "The Next Great Champ". If you want to watch a good reality fighting show check out "The Ultimate Fighter" on SpikeTV. That show kicks ass.

Wow, you really don't know the history then. Mark Burnett ORIGINALLY came up with the idea of a boxing show, i.e. the contender. Fox ripped it off, much like it did with wife swap (trading spouses)

So if you want originality, stay with mark burnett

If you read carefully you can see I said the "Fox rip off"!!!! Duh!!!! My point being that its even worse than the show that ripped them off.. it sucks that bad IMO.

Just watched eppy three... another good fight, another good show. I'm glad that Ishe came back around... liked him at first and then second eppy had me having my doubts. Nothing like a good woman to set her man back on the right path... hee hee. :D

The fight itself wasn't as exciting for me as the first two but, maybe that's because I saw the spoiler here first... maybe I should not read them... you think? D'OH... :lol:

The main problem with "the Contender" is that the viewers are watching an edited version of the fight. So you are really not sure if your watching the true winner or what the producers choose who they want to win. I think if you have a show about boxing, than thats what you should get to watch. That's why I like the "Ultimate Fighter" because they show the fights in their entirety and unedited. I like boxing but this show tries too hard to soften the blow of the sport to attract a female audience, therefore what's the point of having a boxing show in the first place. Come on...Sylvester Stalone.. can't get much cheesier than that.

Wow that's really cool. Every girl I know hates boxing. So my question is why do you hate Ultimate fighting??? That take the violence to a new level. Kicking. choking, punching and the occasional broken bones. It's great. Uh oh...maybe I have issues too.

Here's my 2 cents. I've watched a few ultimate fighting series back when I was still dating my husband and I wanted him to think I was a KEWL chick... LOL But, even back then I had to close my eyes a lot and go in the other room. Because of the experience, I didn't think I'd like boxing either and this show has shown me that there is a difference... at least for this girl.

Boxing seems more like a sport: it has rules, athlete's, training to be the best a specific "action".

Ultimate fighting just seems more like two guys (although I admit that they do train and condition themselves in "other" sports) just go into a rink unleash just craziness to KILL each other. There's no discipline. To me it's harder to play by the rules (boxing for example), train for excellence... their is "beauty" in it... almost like an art. Although I still have to turn my head from time to time... that's just cause I'm too empathitic to others pain.

I'm not bashing ulitmate fighting... I see why guys enjoy it. I'm just trying to explain that just because some women may be more agreeable to boxing... shouldn't deminish boxing.

I hope this came out like it did in my head... lol

Guest ranster627

I agree with you Ceci, well expressed ...

As a guy, and arguably not the most masculine :oops: , I hate all violence and that includes Boxing .... BUT I confess I got hooked on The Contender. I couldn't figure out why at first until I realised that I was hooked by the underdog drama. When I started watching it, it was a few minutes in and I was glued to what seemed like impossible odds ...

I have always liked underdogs and do not like the arrogance of people on top ... they seem to make the sin of assumption they will win whereas underdogs have to muster belief in themselves.

Just my once cent added!

TY ranster! And yes, I agree. I'm not one for violence either (except hockey and that another story for another time... lol)

Maybe StephenV has a point that I can tolerate it on the Contender because it's filmed a bit "artsy". I found myself loving this show because it's a reality show with a "different" kind of reality person. We haven't seen this dynamic yet... on one hand they want to be the last boxer standing BUT, more important to them is their OWN career's. So, it's a very interesting twist ... how will they play it out.

Also, the first eppy could not have been more perfect... it was ROCKY all over again. Although we liked both boxers... how can you not want the guy that has ALL the odds against him... and HE picks the BEST (from East)... what heart, what soul, what a show.

I am female and I love this show, I was totally hooked during the first episode when the "underdog" won.

I was worried at the first episode when the fight started and was thinking "oh here we go with the man part" but I couldn't stop watching. They did a real good job with editting.

I feel the last two post prove my point that this reality show is not real. I mean the poor underdog, not too graphic when in reality the underdog rarely wins in this graphic, violent sport. They have totally whitewashed the appeal of the sport for a softer more unrealistic side complete with its Olympicesque music. To me this shows garbage.

It may not be reality, but it is reality tv, which is all manicured nicely for the viewer. I really enjoy the show also because of the family elements as well. So if you want real sports then this isn't the show. I do plan on checking out the show you spoke of Utimate Fights, I will probably enjoy that as well.

Does anyone else notice that stallone does virtually NOTHING and that his name was just thrown in as a way to get viewers to watch. He hasn't been at one challenge, and Sugar Ray seems to be helping the guys more than anyone. Maybe Hillary Swank could do better :roll:

I enjoy both of the shows, I got into the Ultimate Fighter after the first week or two (I watch the police videos on that channel usually at that time). I enjoyed it after I sarted watching it and wow, I really like it. I couldn't wait till Contender premired...I enjoyed it too. I missed the epppy where Ishe beat Hollywood but I was happy I liked Ishe better. I am happy with who they brought back (although i kinda wanted Jonthan too) becasue in the first eppy where he is sitting down and bends down and hugs his daughter..aww it was just so cute! Who is everyone fav in either show?

UF- anyone on team Coror (I can not stand Liddel team, they are too cocky)

C-Hadn't picked a fav yet but I like the guy that jsut came back