'Growing Up Gotti'

TV_Paige

Associated Press

portrait_home.jpg

gotti_logo.jpg

Gotti Concealed News of Cancer

When Victoria Gotti learned she had breast cancer, she kept the news to herself hiding her draining treatments from her three sons and the producers of their reality show, "Growing Up Gotti." With the show set to begin its third season on the A&E network this week, the daughter of late mob boss John Gotti revealed the details of her struggle to the New York Daily News.

The 42-year-old said she learned she was sick after a mammogram in November. She told her sons about the cancer earlier this month, after going through months of cancer treatments in silence. "I lost 25 pounds," she said. "I was so exhausted, I could barely lift my arms."

Gotti continued, "My producers were asking questions," as were her sons Carmine, 18, John, 17, and Frank, 14. "I wasn't able to tell them," she said. "I just wanted the boys to be OK and not get crazy and think that Mommy is dying." She said her treatment has gone well: "They caught it early and the prognosis is good."

"Growing Up Gotti" takes viewers into the private lives of the (in)famous Gotti family, as single mother, Victoria Gotti struggles to balance her writing career, looking for love and her three incorrigible "Hotti Gotti" sons. Season Three starts with big life changes: John graduates and decides to move away for college, so the family takes a celebratory trip to Italy to "explore their roots," where they struggle with money, language, ladies and, most of all, each other.

Associated Press

Victoria Gotti Denies Lying About Cancer

vic_gotti.jpg

Victoria Gotti

Victoria Gotti denied she lied about having breast cancer but acknowledged her diagnosis showed she had "precancerous cells." In an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," Gotti said "What I have is considered by most to be cancer. Noninvasive cancer. If you look it up on the Internet, it is cancer." Gotti, the daughter of late mob boss John Gotti, added, "They refer to it as noninvasive cancer."

The New York Post, which carried a front-page headline declaring "Gotti's sick cancer scam," reported on August 23 that Gotti never had breast cancer as she had told the rival Daily News. "I could leave it alone and watch it, or get surgery," Gotti told the Post. Gotti said, "I chose to be aggressive and get the surgery." She made similar comments on August 22 on CNBC, according to the Post.

The News had reported on August 21 that Gotti, 42, kept the news to herself hiding her treatments from her three sons and the producers of their reality show, "Growing Up Gotti" on the A&E network. Gotti told ABC the News article "was for the most part accurate." Gotti explained, "The reporter was not lying. She was not embellishing."

"Everyday since this happened, people have been asking me, 'Well, do you have cancer? Or is it not?'" Gotti said. "There's no easy way to explain that. It is the illness. You have to look it up to understand it."