MILTF....FILTF weed. Ha Ha Ha.......

This show rocks. But, I guess we could predict the finale...they all get their asses busted. Watching that dog eat Andy's toes was gross, that was shocking!

I do really like this show but it is becoming a bit unrealistic with her hubbie being that ATF guy. Didn't anyone in the neighborhood find it strange that only one house on a whole block was not seized? Well, it could become as unrealistic as it wants, it still beats the hell out of queer as folk and the L-word.

:)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 9, 2006: Strange Deskfellows

Because, after all, Weeds' Doug and Celia never made it anywhere near anything remotely mattress-based. Yeah, I suppose we should have all seen it coming, so to speak, as these two who take such great pleasure in screwing each other over instead decide to channel that energy into... other things. They do hate each other so much, Celia hasn't been feeling the love from her money-grubbing hubby, Dean, and Doug... hey, have we ever even met his strip-aerobics-loving wife? How funny it'd be if she is some total hottie. But I digress.

Those who didn't have an "If the CPA's Office Is Rockin' Don't Come Knockin'" sign hanging this week were busy trying (at least) to celebrate the birthday of Nancy's late husband, Judah. Silas wanted the all-out, all-things-Dad-loved festivity they had the first year, but Nance was leaning toward a lower-key gathering. This of course all came to a boil when Silas first learned that Peter is not only a DEA agent, but his mother's new husband, to boot. That was the cue for another Emmy-caliber scene for Mary-Louise Parker, who actually made this crazy "business arrangement" between her and Peter sound the tiniest bit not absurd, reiterated her undying love for Judah, suggested to her eldest son that "the wrong parent died," and then went to town on the pi

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 16, 2006: Up in Smoke

Just the other day, I received an invite to a star-studded Manhattan screening of Weeds' second-season finale, airing for the rest of y'all two weeks from now. "A theatrical screening, really?" I said to myself. But now, having seen this week's episode, it's becoming apparent that the stakes are as high as Doug on any given day. Yes, it's not much of a laughing matter these days in Agrestic, what with Heylia lobbing threats and ultimatums at Nancy, the awfully discordant "dinner with the family," and Peter putting his ears where they don't belong.

As glad as I was to see Silas get pushed around a bit

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 23, 2006: "It's Like... Tomatoes."

Is this the last-ever season of Weeds? No, really, is it? Because based on this week's awesome, very intense and penultimate Season 2 installment, I'm having trouble imagining how the Oct. 30 season-ender can possibly leave open the door for more misadventures of Nancy Botwin.

Let's see. Peter, aka "Agent Wonder Bread" (aka a husband scorned), pistol-whipped Conrad, held a gun to his head, and then gave Nancy an ultimatum: Sell off your harvest, close up shop and get out of town, or else. And just as Nance and Conrad were setting their sights on one more week of biz, one which would reap them seven figures.

Nancy then offered her harvest to Heylia, who not only rebuffed the bud but then had a mysterious prison visit with one of the Armenian growers busted in Peter's Nancy-free raid. Conrad and Nance, meanwhile, made a deal with beefy U-Turn (and his miraculously beefier henchman), but little do our peddlers know that U-Turn plans to "fulfill" their end of the bargain by having guns a-blazing.

Back at home, during "Shark Week" apparently (OK, I'm warming up to Kat), Nancy alerted the family to a possible move, a bombshell that ultimately led her to confess, once and for all, to young Shane that yes, she sells pot (though you had to love her spin that, being organic and all, "It's like... tomatoes"). Silas stormed off, as Silas expertly and often does, leading to his ax-wielding mother's discovery that he is the one stealing Celia's Drug-Free Zone signs and surveillance cameras. So he was "protecting" Mom?

Speaking of Celia, she, Doug and the riding crop agreed it was time to officially heave their other halves, though only Celia actually went through with it. "At least now only one of us has to sneak around," weasely Doug argued, entirely unsuccessfully. Oh, and no more "Agrestic Gone Wild" tapes

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Weeds Q&A, Part 1: Your Pre-Show Guide to the Season Finale!

by Matt Webb Mitovich

061030interview3.jpg

Alexander Gould and Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

For the occasion of Weeds' season finale, premiering tonight at 10 pm/ET on Showtime, TVGuide.com sat down with series creator Jenji Kohan to discuss the season gone by, ask about some of the juiciest twists, and try to get a glimpse into the future. Here is Part 1 of the Q&A

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 30, 2006: Do You Want to Die Today?

They shoot pot dealers, don't they? That question lingers as Season 2 of Showtime's Weeds drew to a close with a helpless, hempless Nancy staring down the barrels of not one or two but five serious pieces of firepower... never once setting down that prominently displayed can of Diet Coke. Her only possible salvation: Silas, now in possession of the final MILF weed harvest, but himself also in dire straits, with Celia and a policeman marching toward the 38-pound stash. And let's not forget poor Shane, who graduated from grade school straight into an impetuous, Cactus Cooler-fueled trip to Paraguay, with Kat (as in Krazy) behind the wheel, and Uncle Andy and Abumchuck in heated pursuit.

And to think that the Weeds writers almost tied everything up in a neat bundle instead! So glad they opted otherwise, (as explained in my fresh Features Q&A with series creator Jenji Kohan).

Was I entirely satisfied with the season-ending cliff-hanger? No, not entirely. I think it was a cheat to kill Peter off screen, though I understand the reasons for doing so. I also expected to see a major, original cast member get offed, if only for shock value, but the reality is that the instant you do that, this is no longer a "light" look at pot peddling, but a sobering look at drug dealing. I don't think that Weeds can continue on if you kill a Conrad, or an Andy. It'd be too sad (no offense to Martin Donovan and his portrayal of Peter).

My favorite moments of this, Season 2's final week:

• 6 months later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Modine Lying in the 'Weeds'

Globe-winning drama will premiere on Aug. 13

May 4, 2007

29550612.jpg

Matthew Modine in 'Bedford Diaries'

Showtime has set an August 13 premiere date for the third season of "Weeds" and signed Matthew Modine to a recurring role.

Most recently seen on The WB's short-lived "Bedford Diaries," Modine will play Sullivan Goff, a mysterious land developer for Majestic, a new Christian, mega-church development being built right near Agrestic. The character has both business and personal dealings (if you know what we mean) with Mary-Louise Parker's Nancy and Elizabeth Perkins' Celia.

Modine, whose feature credits include "Short Cuts," "Full Metal Jacket" and "Gross Anatomy," will appear in at least 10 episodes in the Showtime comedy's 15-episode season.

Showtime made a variety of other guest-starring announcements for "Weeds." As one might expect given the events of last season's finale, Zooey Deschanel will return in the premiere as Andy's (Justin Kirk) vaguely deranged ex-girlfriend cat. Two weeks later, Carrie Fisher will drop by as Arlene, Celia's divorce attorney.

"Weeds" was nominated for four Golden Globe awards earlier this year include best television comedy. In 2006, Parker won the Globe for best actress in a comedy series.

• 3 weeks later...

Lone Olsen Twin Joins 'Weeds'

Matthew Modine will also join the comedy this August

May 24, 2007

30026401.jpg

Mary-Kate Olsen (we think)

Mary-Kate Olsen will join the cast of Showtime's "Weeds," leaving sister Ashley behind for her highest profile solo acting turn.

Olsen will play Tara, a devoted Christian girl who moves into Agrestic's neighboring megachurch-centric community of Majestic. She becomes a love interest for Nancy's (Mary-Louise Parker) son Silas (Hunter Parrish).

"I'm thrilled to be a part of the show," Olsen gushes. "It's really an honor to be a part of such a talented group of actors and writers."

And the "Weeds" team is happy to have Olsen as well, particularly in a venue that's far more adult than what her fans have come to expect.

The third season of the Emmy-nominated Showtime comedy will premiere on Aug. 13. Olsen will reportedly appear in at least 10 of the season's 15 episodes.

"WEEDS isn't your eight-o'-clock family fare," says "Weeds" creator Jenji Kohan. "It's an adult show with adult subject matter and we're confident Mary-Kate is right for the role. She came in and read with Hunter [Parrish] and was absolutely charming and real and seemed like a great fit. Audiences have seen only one side of Mary-Kate but here, we'll see her in a whole new light."

Other new additions to the cast include the previously announced Matthew Modine.

Olsen, who turns 21 this June, starred with sister Ashley in a wide variety of TV projects, ranging from the sitcom "Full House" to features like "New York Minute" and more direct-to-video releases than this writer cares to count.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen remain co-presidents of Dualstar Entertainment Group, the lynchpin of their entertainment empire.

• 1 month later...

Singers Fill 'Little Boxes' for 'Weeds'

Billy Bob Thornton, The Shins and Randy Newman lead the field

July 6, 2007

26451748.jpg

Mary-Louise Parker of 'Weeds'

Showtime has rounded up a decidedly quirky assortment of artists to cover the show's catchy theme, "Little Boxes."

Those little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky, may all look just the same, but the opening credits for the Emmy nominated Showtime series probably won't sound the same from week to week.

The show's third season will kick off on Monday, Aug. 13 with Grammy and Oscar winner Randy Newman singing the semi-classic Malvina Reynolds track.

Following Newman, in no particular order, will be Joan Baez, Donovan, Billy Bob Thornton, The Shins, Michael Franti, The Individuals, Angelique Kidjo, Kinky and Man Man, Persephone's Bees.

At least four more singers are bound to be brought into the fold, since "Weeds" is producing 15 episodes for this fall.

The first season of "Weeds" helped reintroduce audiences to Reynolds' 1962 commentary on suburbia and Showtime instituted the guest singer gimmick for the show's second season. The first group of recruited singers included Elvis Costello, Englebert Humperdinck, Death Cab for Cutie and Regina Spektor.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV GUIDE NEWS REPORT

Romany Malco Dishes on Weeds and Mary-Kate Olsen

Moments after wrapping up a press conference for television critics last weekend, Weeds star Romany Malco joined TVGuide.com in the Beverly Hilton Hotel lobby to dish about the dark comedy

• 4 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "Doing the Backstroke"

"To be continued," my aunt Fannie!

And here we are, left with another cliff-hanger, having waited so many, many months for the resolution of the Season 2 finale. I must warn you that more cliff-hangers are to come, as indicated by TV Guide's Matt Roush when he guested on last Friday's podcast. (He's further ahead on his Weeds screeners than I am.)

For starters, that opening scene came so out of left field, the family from Arizona hoping to visit Mom's childhood home

LOL I thought the wording on this was hilarious. :animated_rotfl:

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TODAYS NEWS: MY TAKE

Ratings: Weeds Delivers an All-time High

A few ratings bits:

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "A Pool and His Money"

Now this is the Weeds I love. As I opined in the new TV Guide Talk podcast, the season premiere of the Showtime series was missing something. It was "fine," just not manic. And it was lacking heart. This week's episode was chockablock with tension and pathos (as Nancy let it all out... while submerged), and much less of the zany antics.

So after belting sassy Nancy with the smack heard 'round the world, Heylia gutted the easy chair and rode to the rescue, but only Conrad's rescue. Now Nancy owes U-Turn, as does Conrad, who seems deigned (yet hardly resigned) to be the big guy's "sharecropper." Let's take a moment here to give props to Page Kennedy (aka Housewives' original cellar dweller) for his turn as U. Dude does menacing well, yet with just a hint of dumb. I will have a fit if he dares taint my Nancy, on the kitchen island or anywhere.

Marvin also endeared himself to me this week, like when Nancy said she wasn't a toker, and he replied, incredulously, "Seriously?" Or when he said, "I'm just an employee. I'm not management."

I also liked the arc they sent Celia on, because it made such sense. Here she was, the big Drug Czar in Town, and her own best bud is the best bud dealer. Gotta hurt. The salt in the wound: Dean being so detached, and Doug's postcoital sobbing.

Sanjay's gay? Not sure what that was about/for, other than the humor in Clinique not able to "**** it out of him."

Other laugh lines:

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "The Brick Dance"

The Closer (which I also blog about) followed by Weeds is a nice one-two punch. I highly recommend it. Chase your weekly dose of homicide with a bit of reefer madness. Not to mention, you get two Emmy nominees playing memorable, one-of-a-kind women.

But whereas I don't like much zany with my crimesolving, I crave lunacy an hour later, and this week's Weeds delivered. I feel like this season's first two episodes were obligatory cliff-hanger resolutions, and only now have we really started the new stuff. Andy dragged into boot camp and paired with a hyper little "battle buddy"? Love it. Nancy was summoned to perform a "brick dance" for bad guy Guillermo "Don't Call Me Pedro"? Hot, hot, hot. I know

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "S--t Highway"

What. Was. That ?! I'm talking, of course, about one of the most odd TV deaths I have seen in recent years. One second Andy's "battle buddy" is trying to light and fart and then... buzzzzzz-thwap! Impaled by a wayward drone. So very, very bizarre. Took me a moment to understand what the heck had happened.

Does this mean we have seen the last of boot camp, and so soon? I suppose the drill sergeant was bound to run out of homophobic imagery sooner or later.

Silas' B-story was rather lame, obviously just a means to set up his proposal that he unload Mom's "light" bags while doing his thoroughly unsupervised community service.

Welcome to the neighborhood, Sullivan! I will admit I met the news of Matthew Modine's casting on Weeds with an "eh," but his character seems interesting in his duality: touting a belief-based development one moment, dismissing it as so much fal-de-rah the next (and using cuss words). He should be a nice bridge between our two grande dames, Nancy and Celia.

Speaking of Celia, the other raison d'episode was the town council meetings where Sullivan pitched his proposal to Agrestic, the "bowl" to Majestic's toilet seat, and where Doug (perhaps too easily) reclaimed his non-toilet seat on the council. I say "too easily" because it was such a big deal how Celia bested him in the election. But just like that, he's back. Not that I mind at all. He may not be the sharpest tack, but he does know dollars and cents and how to milk Majestic for all they are worth.

Not much U-turn this week (though his short scenes are worth their weight in expletives), nor much Conrad at all. And precious little Botwin home life, though Shane's pride in his job-hunting mom was rather touching, for Nancy as well as we the viewers.

A few bullets:

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "Bill Sussman"

Has Nancy gone from heroine to heroin? Hmm, the hands don't seem so steady anymore.

I privately chuckled when Weeds creator Jenji Kohan told me that the theme of Season 3 was Nance learning to be a "gangster." And yet, look, here she is telling Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "He Taught Me How to Drive-by"

OK, Weeds, you've got me back blogging, at least until this new DVD with Episodes 5-9 runs dry.

Now speaking of dry, and by association wet... Be still my Mary-Louise Parker-lusting heart. That last scene? Forgetting for a moment that it came out of nowhere... Thud! Jeffrey Dean Morgan, if you were out there, watching... reminiscing... My condolences to you. That MLP

Courtesy of; TV GUIDE, TV SHOW BLOGS

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "The Two Mrs. Scottsons"

Hmmph. Given the title and in light of what Weeds creator Jenji Kohan teased preseason, I had "high" expectations for this face-off between Peter's pair of widows... but I guess I will have to wait for next week. But to (ex-wife) Mrs. Scottson's point, why the eff was Nancy stalking her?! Very odd. Now Mrs. S is in quite a position to put the "big squeeze" on Nance. Ouch! (PS: Good to see Peter's son is still a class-A brat. Man, I hated that punk.)

This week confirmed what I lamented a few blogs ago: This season's Weeds is terribly uneven and utterly lacking in an overarching narrative. Plus, was anyone but me missing Mary Kate Olsen and Silas this week? I love Silas' romances, and MKO's character is a hoot of contradictions.

Shane and Isabella were "cute," dabbling in Mama Botwin's bud, but to little effect. Just a gag or two about Shane's new BFF not being into penises, instead preferring beer. Ha.

I like the "idea" of Sullivan, but what game is he playing and on whom? Celia is a hellion, to be sure, but if he's using her

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "Release the Hounds"

For a second just now, as I typed the above title, I was like, "What is that line in reference to...?" And then it hit me

• 4 weeks later...

Showtime Grows a Fourth Season of 'Weeds'

Mary-Louise Parker would return in new episodes next summer

November 5, 2007

31837984.jpg

Mary-Louise Parker of 'Weeds'

Showtime has ordered a fourth season of the Emmy nominated comedy "Weeds."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, a new season of the Mary-Louise Parker series would go into production in April (various strikes pending) and would premiere next summer.

The show's current third season featured an expanded roster of 15 episodes, but the new run is expected to only be the standard 13. The show's ratings for this season have been up by 19 percent over last year, though Showtime isn't comfortable giving out hard numbers. "Weeds" has been part of Showtime's Monday night comedy hour with the already-renewed "Californication" this fall.

Parker won a Golden Globe in 2006 for her performance as suburban pot-dealing mom Nancy Botwin. The show's five Emmy nominations this year included nods for Parker and co-star Elizabeth Perkins.

The season finale is scheduled for Nov. 19.

• 2 weeks later...

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

Episode Recap: "Risk"

First off, my apologies for the recent "high-atus" from the blog. Now on with the show!

I see that a lot has been going on in quiet Agrestic. Celia caught Sullivan diddling Nancy, and this week took out her anger with a few destructive swings of a baseball bat. (What did people do before The Untouchables?) Cowering in the corner of his office, Sully sought refuge in some herb, and even made a clumsy (if veiled) play for Mary-Kate. Um, eww.

I'm a bit steamed that I missed Nancy and Conrad's long-in-the-coming coupling, but that's what the eventual Season 3 DVD set is for. Besides, we got some further flirty interplay, first as Nancy hinted at "another fill," then later when she got Conrad all jelly belly with her U-turn tattoo. "Now taste this," indeed. [swoon]

The biker gang? Too much greasy goon, not enough Sprague Grayden (the Jericho actress playing his sis). I love it when Andy homes in on a gal and goofily tries to play in her world. We saw that with the rabbinical school boss, and now the biker gal.

And then there is Shane.... Sigh. I suppose it's organic and makes sense, considering all that the rugrat has been through, but it's still unsettling. At the very end there, when he revealed that he was rattling off those endless Pittsburg factoids to "Dad" across the table.... Sigh. Just when Nancy and her bud biz seemed to be in the clear, we have a new threat and a new casualty of war. (By the way, the Botwin home's annoying alarm sound has nothing on the hellacious siren at Chez Mitovich. That thing had better save my bacon some day, for all the raced pulses and near hearing loss it has caused when accidentally set off.)

The bullets:

• 3 months later...