• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Weeds

Well, well, it certainly looks like Lupita has received what she deserves this week: She's getting a raise. Or, more accurately, after catching onto Nancy's wheelin' and dealin', she demands a raise, as she throws the bud-stuffed pillow, where Nancy hordes her stash, at her "Mrs." And it doesn't look like Nancy's going to argue here, as the "suburban baroness of bud" is clearly busted. In other corners of the baroness' universe, Celia and Conrad finally cross paths and plan a hot night on the town, and to Nancy's dismay, she is included. Still suffering aftershocks from last week's shooting at Heylia's, Nancy meets the local competition, who has farmed his family out to Atlanta in order to keep them alive. Not exactly soothing for Nancy Pants... To add to the irk, bro-in-law Andy manipulates a silly young thing into being his sponsor at Marijuana Anonymous. From here, he manipulates her right into the sack, with a lame story of getting dumped by his girl. If his sponsor wants to be loose as a goose, that's fine by me, but how could she buy his story? He clearly is seeking pity, and she falls for his trap. Silly sponsor, tricks are for kids. And Nancy's youngest, Shane, becomes more demented as each week progresses. This week we find him making terrorist videos, complete with "infidels" and a beheading, to boot. Perhaps Shane needs to reconnect with his grief counselor, who has not been mentioned since the premiere episode. I can't think of a better time than the present.... Outside of terrorism and manipulating 12-step programs, we are all sexed up this week, with Conrad and Celia making whoopee in a car, and Nancy's oldest, Silas, reconnecting with beautiful Megan

Guest ranster627

Weeds

Damn. Nancy sure p---ed someone off. Although I don't fully grasp what it means to have someone penny your ride, it looks pretty bad. Ditto for piling the pennies outside her home. What does it all mean? Does someone feel nickel-and-dimed? Heylia suggests to the naive Nancy that she has crossed another dealer, which probably happened when she encroached on the university market. And Celia had yet another turnaround. Who woulda thunk that she would ever promise "Isabelly" that they would raid the hospital vending machines? And later Celia's fractured family unites to expel her intrusive and overbearing mother from the household. But we finally see the origin of Celia's bitchy disease

Guest ranster627

Weeds

I am completely flabbergasted! All it took for Nancy to avert the certain danger, or even death, headed her way courtesy of the penny-dropping dealer was a roll in the hay. More accurately, she pacified him in a back alley on the hood of a car. What makes her think he won't come back for more? How disturbing was that? I mean, a suburban housewife can only go so far before getting in over her head. I imagine viewers recognize this, but Nancy seems clueless, as usual. She thinks she took care of the situation. I am not so certain that costing someone thousands of dollars of income is remedied by a single sexual encounter. If so, go Nancy. She must rock beyond belief if that keeps him at bay.

But on to the dysfunction I have come to love: Celia tells her husband in typical fashion that she had sex with a black man. Hysterics ensue as Dean follows her around with an electric razor. It is only fair, he says, to dole out equal punishments, since he got a buzz cut for his infidelity. The two finally give voice to every ugly aspect of their marriage, which should have been done months ago. The tension comes to a close with Celia tossing her engagement ring down the garbage disposal and then the two make love. Definitely an odd follow-up to the years of baggage they so viciously unloaded, but the pseudoreconciliation ends with Dean inquiring about the size of Conrad's man parts. Oh, the delicate male ego.

Finally, Nancy and the kids attend her husband's tombstone unveiling. In Jewish tradition, this usually occurs one year after the burial. Has it been one year? And Andy's speech was hysterical, more of a free-flowing stream of consciousness about how much he dislikes himself. What a family!

Guest ranster627

Weeds

It certainly looks like the bitch is back! Why? Because Celia, now bald and enduring chemo, has risen above the witches of the PTA. She boots the queen off her throne in order to regain her old title! All in a day's work... Oh, and she makes it clear once and for all that gays and pedophiles are not one and the same. As always, thank you, Weeds, for tackling silly stereotypes....

Things are not so glorious for Nancy. While it's opening day at her "fakery" (as Andy calls it), she gets busted on campus. The "head of security" then steals her 14K product. And just how does this bud find its way back home? Let's call it a bonus from last week's romp with the penny tosser, which has rewarded her with his protection (and unwanted gifts). I knew he wouldn't go away after one play date! Now she's treading a fine line

• 2 months later...

Courtsy of: ZAP2IT.COM

Showtime Plants More 'Weeds'

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

12:15 PM PT

marylouiseparker_elizabethperkins_weeds_

Showtime's comedy series "Weeds" earned three Golden Globe nominations Tuesday, but the more important number for the show is two.

As in season two: A few hours after the Globes announcement Tuesday morning (Dec. 13), Showtime announced it was ordering a second delivery of the series, about a suburban mom (Globe nominee Mary-Louise Parker) who deals pot to make ends meet.

"'Weeds' represents the best of what Showtime can offer -- a provocative, complex, richly textured show about contemporary family life that also manages to be incredibly relatable," says Robert Greenblatt, president of Showtime Entertainment. "And its execution [is] at the very top of the food chain. This show makes our network shine. We were addicted the minute we saw the pilot."

Production on the second season, which will run 12 episodes -- up from 10 in season one -- is scheduled to begin in the spring, with Showtime aiming for a summer premiere date. Series creator Jenji Kohan will be back as executive producer.

In addition to Parker's nomination for best actress in a comedy series, "Weeds" also earned Golden Globe nods for best comedy series and best supporting actress Elizabeth Perkins. The nominations for Parker and the series are the first Showtime has received in those categories

• 5 months later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Weeds

23709693.jpg

Premieres: Aug. 14

Airs: Mondays at 10 p.m. on Showtime

Why It's Worth Watching: Because Mary-Louise Parker didn't win that Golden Globe for nothing. "Weeds" generated some initial, uh, buzz for its premise about a suburban widowed mom (Parker) who deals pot to keep up her upper-middle-class lifestyle. Once you get past that, though, you'll find a suburban satire as sharp or sharper than anything you'll see on Wisteria Lane, and Parker's castmates -- notably Elizabeth Perkins as her icy neighbor and friend, Romany Malco as her connection and Kevin Nealon as a client -- bring a brand of comedy you can enjoy even if you're stone-cold sober.

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

It's High Anxiety for Weeds' Nancy

by Dana Meltzer Zepeda

060821insider1.jpg

Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

It's enough to drive you to drugs. At the climax of the first-season finale, Weeds' pot-peddling widow, Nancy Botwin, was being seduced by a sexy new flame, Peter Scottson

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovic

August 14, 2006: The Botwins Go to Pot

What a series of serious buzz kills for Nancy on the second-season opener of Showtime's Weeds. After awakening in Peter's bed to discover (and then confirm via deft snooping) he's a DEA agent, she slinks back home to find that A) Silas is having NC-17-rated sleepovers, B) young Shane is spying on them, C) there's a plumbing problem, D) blackmailer Lupita has no intention of bailing them out with some manual dishwashing and E) Andy's caught up in scoring admission to a rabbinical school. (First, I suspect he'll have to work on the admissions essay, which currently consists of, "As a Jewish male I have no foreskin and may be a carrier of Tay-Sachs disease.")

Of course, Conrad is none too happy to hear that Nancy's beau is a federal agent (he suspects a sting), but that led to a sexually fraught little moment between him and Nance, as she stopped him in his tracks to ask if the problem is that she was (ahem) "bedding" a DEA agent or "bedding" someone who wasn't Conrad. Hot, especially with the actual word Nancy was using.

Nancy went to seek advice from a helpful Heylia, who explained that blacks are the original NPR

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

August 28, 2006: Let

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 4, 2006: Sowing the Seeds of Love

And the winner of this week's That Was All Kinds of Wrong Award goes to the Shane story line on Showtime's Weeds, in which resourceful Uncle Andy came through again. I cannot decide what was most discomforting about Shane's dilemma: That it existed in the first place and that other lads his young age have had that "special sort of sexual experience"? That Andy actually took him to a brothel (forgive me if that's not the 100 percent most accurate term) to remedy it? That the brothel employee actually, though grudgingly, took on Shane as a client? Or that they showed Shane smiling blissfully after, then declaring that he was "sleepy"? Wrong, wrong, wrong, just wrong, I tell you.

What I love about Weeds is that you never know which part of any episode is going to give you the giggles or make you sit there with mouth agape. Will it be the A-story involving Nancy's business, or will it come from the home front? Or from Celia (who seems doomed forever to exist apart from the rest of the show's central action)?

Also, just when you think a story might zig

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV SHOW COMMENTARY

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 11, 2006: Friends in High Places

The moral of this week's episode: If you're a widowed mom dealing herb in the suburbs, and the competition heats up, bat an eyelash at your DEA-agent beau and presto, territorial exclusivity! Oh, but the irony ? just as the narcs raid every other grow house in their gated community, a panicky Andy and Sanjee begin flushing and otherwise destroying their freshly cultivated crop. Nancy was so happy at the end, as Peter gave her that knowing wink live from the TV coverage of his selective bust.... It pains me to see her come down next week. Talk about a buzz kill.

It was good to see bad, bad Uncle Andy's brother's visit with Shane not go unpunished. Exactly. OK, the principal tried to come down hard on Shane, but quick-thinking Andy read my mind and spun the most obvious and truly believable lie: that Shane was making up the whole story. That's what kids do, after all! Of course, it didn't hurt that the principal spilled his own sordid past about Dad dressed as a... bumblebee. Say wha?

I forgot to touch on this last week, but what is up with Heylia's would-be gentleman caller? Is Mr. Missing Airline Luggage not really in the Nation of Islam? Or can one do both?

And look at Celia: First she's all against her daughter pushing husky-girl clothes, but then she seems to change her tune when the director declares the preteen a natural. Is Celia seeing dollar signs, especially in light of Dean's termination?

Before I go, once again I want to tout Mary-Louise Parker's performance in this week's episode. Such a range of notes to hit ? the playful paramour modestly proposing a drug sting that would save her own behind, the uncomfortable mother listening to how, and I mean how, Silas got his girlfriend pregnant, to the fierce lioness facing off against Debbie's nasty pop. You really do believe that she will kill him if he touches Silas again. The tears as she walked away from that confrontation... outstanding stuff.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 09/12/06 8:06 AM

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 18, 2006: Here We Grow Again

"How do I write about this?!" I asked my wife and fellow Weeds enthusiast as we watched Andy's first, um, "lovemaking" session with Yael. For now, all I will say is "Poor, poor Andy." What a shame that we have to wait a week to be privy to his own "morning-after" thoughts.

If I have any lament about this otherwise stellar Season 2 of Showtime's Weeds, it's that everyone's stories are rather segregated and compartmentalized these days. Celia is almost completely on her own, save for Dave and Doug's connection to Nancy's biz. As "interesting" as her courtship with Mr. Nation of Islam is

A friend gave me season one to watch I only made it through the first disk, but I wasnt really getting into it, I will eventually watch the second disk, but to all the fans... does the second half of season one get better?

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

September 25, 2006: Keep Off the Grass

So, at long last, Celia's city-council election story line dovetails in the general direction of Nancy's blossoming bud biz. Yes, I'm peeved that it came at the expense of Doug's title as "Councilman Doug," but there was small solace in the fact that it came down to a matter of three votes -- and Doug wasn't even on the ballot! Speaks volumes. Celia's first order of business: To not only get hubby Dean off the weed, but all of Agrestic, too. People in grass houses....

I like how Nancy is having to deal, almost every week now, with accountability for what she does. Look at poor Silas, who wants to parlay his poor SAT scores into a lieutenantship in Mom's business. Uh, I don't think so, said Nance, who quickly sought comfort from Peter (no go, as his boy hates Dad's new girlfriend), then Conrad. As Nancy asked Conrad how she could spend the next two hours burning off her buzz, did anyone else think/fear they would hook up? That day may be coming, I suspect, and oh, how it will create conflict should DEA agent Peter find out.

I'm a little "bummed" that there was no pickup of poor, poor Andy's "catching" session with Yael. (I guess the none-too-small matter of losing a few toes to Doug's stray dog took priority.) Worse for Andy, no sooner does he muster a barely passing grade for straight sex, than he goes and blabs about deciding to bail on rabbinical school. Yael probably wanted to smite him with a plague of locusts or frogs, but could only conjure up a pair of hard, hard slaps to Andy's face. Atone, dude, atone!

And how much does it kill ya when Shane gets all forlorn about his dead dad? "Why do you always have to bring up Dad?" he asked Nance at the end of a "pep talk" about dating woes. Nice continuity with the rugrat's issues.

Posted by Matt Mitovich 09/26/06 8:27 AM

Weeds

by Matt Webb Mitovich

October 2, 2006: In the Dogg House

You know your homegrown strain has made it big when you not only wow Weeds guest star Snoop Dogg, but impress his lungs to a degree that he dashes into the recording studio to create a tune about your oh-so-fine "MILF" weed. Unabashed celeb drop-by aside, nice going, Nancy! Er, I mean, Lacey.

Alas, the high of Ms. La Plante's budding supersuccess would only last so long, as Heylia finally put two and two together and realized that Conrad had set up a rival business. "I don't know you no more," she sternly said... as she produced a massive wad of green in exchange for three pounds of the MILF weed that has taken Agrestic by storm.

Speaking of making an impression on the town, Celia's bid to make Agrestic a drug-free zone has been anything but problem-free. After being paid a nasty visit by a dog owner upset with her planned removal of the dog park, Celia was met with taunts during a school appearance with "Sober the Sasquatch"