Is Jeff Stepping Up His Role on the Show?

DivaSupreme

Is it just me or has Jeff Probst gone from basically being a play by play announcer to an antagonist? During the challenges he seems to be taunting the teams more, upping the competition and the stress. Last night for example, it was like he was playing head games with them. During the Reward Challenge I swear he talked people into wearing out faster. Then during the Immunity challenge if I had been there he would have had me convinced that I was gasping for air. He seems to be doing the same thing at Tribal Councils, more each season he seems to be stirring the pot and going for the jugular in some cases.

Guest cmteachermom

I was rather bewildered by the whole situation. I kept thinking that it was taking a strange turn. My husband even commented about Austen and how Jeff basically told him he was nothing more than a quitter, and here he was encouraging Janu to quit. It was all very weird.

I think it played out very nicely...shakes up everyone!!!!

I think he's trying to bring a little color to the challenges. You have to admit it would get annoyong if he just said something like " 30 minutes into the challenge and everyone is still in." That would be boring. You're right Diva by him saying the little quips and barbs, I think he is wearing people out faster. That in my opinion makes the game more interesting, now not only is it endurance but who can block out Jeff.

was it just me' date=' or was jeff trying to convince janu to quit??????

i was shocked! i could tell that steph was trying to talk her into it, but jeff?????? he hates quitters! and to hear him try and convince her to do it....he must really have a thing for steph!

but the look on coby's face was priceless! as well as on tom and gregg's! oh to have your plan foiled by janu!![/quote']

I didn't get to watch this episode until late at night (I taped it on dvr) and I thought I was dreaming! This was one of the most bizarre tribal councils I've yet to see. I couldn't believe what I was watching!

I do think that Jeff talked Janu into quitting!! But clearly' date=' she didn't want to be there.

I completely agree Coby's facial expression WAS priceless and Tom and Gregg didn't know what to do!!!![/quote']

Yes' date=' thats part of what I was talking about when I started the thread earlier about Jeff stepping up his role on the show.[/quote']
i guess i'm just confused...not upset to see her quit...but confused at jeff's role in it. when osten quit' date=' jeff was pissed and wouldn't even snuff out his torch. last nite, he was sweet as pie to janu. go figure. maybe he was afraid the wind would blow her away soon anyhow![/quote']
I was also amazed how quick Jeff commented on the Survivor's behavior when Janu was the 1st to call it quits in the Immunity Challenge.

They all looked like a bunch of guilty schoolkids that knew they had been caught red-handed. Their snickery laughter was uncalled for :evil:

he had been so degrading to the ulong team when they kept losing' date=' and now he's pulling for steph? i think it might be time for jeff to take a little vacation from survivor....he's goin' a little nuts![/quote']

The idea of Jeff taking a vacation is an interesting one. These shows are produced in such rapid fire succession, maybe we all need a vacation from them to be more appreciative. We see these people for less than an hour once a week. Probst has been exposed far more than that. It seems that after how many seasons now? 11? 12? he has to be getting sick of the idiocy of some of these people. I remember the underwater puzzle challenge a few weeks ago where one person stood on the dock and directed where pieces went and the other 2 moved them from under the water. Ulong was so pathetic, Jeff just stood there shaking his head with the most disgusted look on his face. I'm sure the same look that most of the viewers had. It just screamed LOSERS!!! So to answer my own question stated in the title of this thread, maybe he isnt stepping up his role, eg participation, but just finally letting out his frustration. Is he influencing the game? probably so in some way, or maybe he is just speeding up the outcome.

Guest cappy
If I were Jeff, I wouldnt let Janu be on the jury. Id let somebody that deserved to be on the jury that was voted off by the So long tribe like Angie.

i agree with Diva. I think Jeff is getting frustrated. Watching some of these people you have to wonder if any of them ever watched the game before they came on. I wasnt a big Shi-ann fan but at least she played the game all the way up to the end, even when she knew she didnt have a prayer. She played headgames, called out Rob and Amber, hell she practicaly did a hula dance standing on her head to make the people voting realize that once she was gone, rob and amber could pretty much run the board.

It just seems like with this group, maybe because so many of them are idiots or because Koror won so much they got lazy or because of the editing, but they dont seem to be doing any of the math. They are letting a known couple stay together (um learn nothing from all stars) Tom's winning every challenge and no one other than Coby was even talking about him, etc. etc. etc. If I were playing the first time Tom lost immunity he would be gone, and if Tom wasnt an option Greg would be next. I am sure after 11-12 seasons Probst has to be wondering why these people would go on a show and understand so little about how to play it.

About the Jeff thing..it takes a few hours for tribal councils to go on. Jeff said in an interview that it takes hours sometimes to get to a certain point and even then we as viewers only see a few mintues (If you want to hear this interview I speak of go to www.cbs.com and go to survior section and click on the jeff interviews I dont remember which one it is under may be entitled Tribal Council , but not to sure) I think what mainly got here to quit was Steph going off about it..she was justing whining to try and stay.Also about him talking to them, it just keep us interested some of them probably likes him talking to them, takes their mind off the situation. Plus its just for drama..as they say MIND over MATTER..dont let him get to you and dont think about where you are at. I want Steph to leave..espically if she tries to vote Tom out.

Tom is the best!!

Guest cappy
Im tired of watching stupid people thats for sure. I cant believe that they are getting rid of the weakest players and keeping the most strongest. Tom and his band of idiots are gonna vote out the person they need the most if they have any chance of topping Gregg and Jenn. I hope that if Tom doesnt get one of the two (more so Gregg) out, they will turn around and vote him out.

I disagree that Jeff's an antagonist but more a protagonist at the tribal councils. I think in a game when no one really wants to be a full leader you need that person to come in and fill that role and I think that's what the producers need Jeff to do to help shake things up. To many players seem to play it safe now and without a protagonist it would get really boring.

Guest Anonymous
I disagree that Jeff's an antagonist but more a protagonist at the tribal councils. I think in a game when no one really wants to be a full leader you need that person to come in and fill that role and I think that's  what the producers need Jeff to do to help shake things up. To many players seem to play it safe now and without a protagonist it would get really boring.

You're right Stephen -- his job is to light a flame under the players when necessary -- I would have liked to see the whole (yes two hours worth) of tribal council and see what really happened.

i also agree with not wanting to watch stupid people anymore. why are they banding together to try and get rid of steph (who has yet to win an immunity challenge) and not trying to get rid of tom (who has won every immunity challenge!). they should be planning to take tom out the minute that he loses immunity!! but noooooo, they are led by tom, and he is a god to them, and they could never take him out. stupid, stupid, stupid!

i mean, THINK PEOPLE!