Sci Fi Channel Gears Up for original programming

salter-path

Sci Fi Channel is gearing up for its largest original programming push in recent memory as the network has confirmed six launch dates for the month of July.

It all begins on Friday, July 15 as "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica" will all return that night with new seasons (at 8:00/7:00c, 9:00/8:00c and 10:00/9:00c respectively).

And later that month on Wednesday, July 27, the network will roll out new seasons of "Ghost Hunters" at 9:00/8:00c and "Tripping the Rift" at 10:00/9:00c with newcomer "Master Blasters" leading off the night at 8:00/7:00c.

Here's how Sci Fi's press materials describe the freshman project: "Imagination literally takes flight with Master Blasters, the new daredevil stepchild of the reality genre. A high-octane ride into the wild blue yonder, Master Blasters pits teams of amateur rocket scientists against each other in a race to design, build and launch some very bizarre things into orbit. From rocket-bolstered La-Z-Boys to fuel injected Mini Coopers, "one small step for man" becomes one giant leap for mad science! A healthy dose of teamwork, competition and creativity, mixed with jet fuel and a strict defiance of the laws of physics, makes for television's most explosive half-hour in this weekly documentary-style show produced by First Television."

Sci Fi is coming off one of its most-watched quarters in its history, which saw the original series "Battlestar Galactica" and the Saturday original movie "Alien Apocalypse" earn record marks for the cable channel.

• 2 months later...
Guest ranster627

Ratings from the Sci Fi Channel

• Andromeda 1.6

Stargate SG-1 1.5

Mutant X 1.4

The X-Files 1.4

Twilight Zone 1.3

The Outer Limits 1.1

She Spies 1.1

Angel 1.0

Buffy 1.0

Ripley's 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 5/30/05 - 6/5/05

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait!!!!!

Pls note that this week Sci-Fi is running special all day broadcasts of the following shows:

Wed Jul 6th, full 1st season of Battlestar Galletica, beginning 10 am/9c

Thu Jul 7th, full 8th season of Stargate SG1 beginning 8 am/7c

Fri Jul 8th, full 1st season of Stargate Atlantis beginning 8 am/7c

Guest Rebekah

Talk about addictive psychosis. Wait. Is that addictive paralysis? No wait. Addictive sci-fi showpersonalitytvshowsnotinthislifetime. No psychotic repetitive mytosis osmosis.

Anyway, I so love the Sci Fi station. It meets all my needs. :P

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

Ratings from the Sci Fi Channel

• Stargate SG-1 1.4

Twilight Zone 1.4

The X-Files 1.3

Andromeda 1.2

She Spies 1.2

Angel 1.0

Mutant X 1.0

The Outer Limits 1.0

Buffy 0.9

Ripley's 0.8

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/13/05 - 6/19/05

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: What's going to be the best new sci-fi show this fall: NBC's Surface (formerly Fathom), CBS' Threshold or ABC's Invasion?

Ausiello: Haven't gotten around to watching Fathom, er, Surface, yet (the bad buzz forced me to stick it at the bottom of my pilot pile), but I saw Invasion over the weekend and was really impressed. Fantastic production values, great cast, genuine thrills and a promising mythology make me think it could be this year's Lost. It was certainly better than CBS's alien saga Threshold, which turned out to be a real disappointment.

Guest ranster627

FROM Sci-Fi Wire

TOP 10 SF & F Network TV Shows

• Medium 5.3

Lost 4.3

Smallville 1.6

Charmed 1.2

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/13/05 - 6/19/05. Fewer than 10 entries appear this week, because fewer than 10 original SF&F programs aired during the week on broadcast networks.

Guest ranster627

Sci-Fi Channel Sends Friday into Outer Space

(Sunday, July 10 12:02 AM)

By Kate O'Hare

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Actor Ben Browder had a strange moment not long ago while participating in a photo shoot for his new show, "Stargate SG-1," which launches its ninth season on Friday, July 15 (the same day "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica" begin their sophomore seasons), on Sci-Fi Channel.

"I was standing there," recalls the actor, who for four seasons played American astronaut John Crichton, who was propelled through a wormhole into uncharted space on Sci-Fi's Friday series "Farscape," "and there was a moment I thought, 'I'm the new one in the mix.' Then I realized, 'No, wait, Sci-Fi Friday night. I've been here longer than everybody else.' Actually, someone commented, 'We got the new guy over here.' I said, 'Sci-Fi Friday night? Were you here in 1999? No? Shut up.'"

With "Stargate" star Richard Dean Anderson scaling back his involvement (although he does appear in two of the first three episodes, at least), Browder is playing new SG-1 team leader Lt. Col. Cameron Mitchell (no relation to the same-named actor). He's a fighter pilot who was seriously injured (but not seen) while saving the SG-1 team in an episode called "Lost City."

The SG-1 team -- Brig. Gen. Jack O'Neill (Anderson), Dr. Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks), Lt. Col. Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) and alien Teal'c (Christopher Judge) -- already know Mitchell, and flashbacks will flesh out his history.

After spending years in Australia doing "Farscape," Browder says, "I stepped through a wormhole and wound up in another portion of the universe -- Vancouver."

Browder also reunites with "Farscape" co-star (and on-screen love) Claudia Black, who reprises her "SG-1" role of thief Vala, introduced last season in an episode called "Prometheus Unbound."

"I love working with her," Browder says, "and she really plays a different character, so that part of it is easy. It's good to have someone around that you can occasionally turn to and go, 'How bad was that? Do I need to go again?'"

Also joining the "Stargate SG-1" cast this year for new adventures hopping through alien portals to distant worlds is Beau Bridges ("10.5," "The Agency") as Gen. Henry "Hank" Landry. He comes out of retirement to replace old pal O'Neill as head of Stargate Command.

"You can quote me," Browder says, "as a confidently heterosexual male -- Beau's gorgeous. He's tremendous fun to have around. He knows his business; he's got great stories."

Also on hand in a recurring role is Lou Gossett Jr., as the alien Jaffa leader Gerak.

"The second Lou hits the set," Browder says, "you know you're in the presence of Lou Gossett. Watching Beau and Lou, especially when they're on set, there's some very good lessons for a younger actor."

Although Crichton named his gun Winona, Browder has no plans to name any "Stargate" weaponry.

"Privately. I may have named my weapon," he says, "but that's a John Crichton thing. Crichton is the man who names every inanimate object he can get his hands on. That was his way of making the world less alien and more personal."

While replacing Anderson is a daunting task, Browder feels he's up to it. "Interestingly enough," he says, "I was given a hat the other day that said 'O'Neill' in it. It fit OK. I don't know what that says. As they handed me the hat, and it said 'O'Neill,' I thought, 'I don't know how I feel about this. Ah, it's good. I'll wear it.'"

"But you know what? No one is ever going to replace RDA, what he meant to the show and to the franchise. He came up and shot a couple scenes, so I got to see him in his natural environment."

"Stargate Atlantis" is also shuffling cast members, with Rainbow Sun Francks (Lt. Aiden Ford) becoming a recurring character, and Jason Momoa, as Ronon Dex, joining the team. Also appearing is Mitch Pileggi ("The X-Files") as Col. Steven Caldwell, commander of the Earth warship Daedalus.

"Battlestar Galactica," in its second full season (it launched as a miniseries), faces the challenge of following up its cliffhanger season finale. In the final moments, fighter pilot Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (Grace Park) -- secretly a synthetic human created by the mechanical Cylons -- shot Galactica's Commander Adama (Edward James Olmos) in the gut.

Also, Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell), president of the civilian government overseeing the ragtag fleet of survivors of a Cylon holocaust, was slapped in the brig for challenging Adama's authority to fulfill an ancient prophecy. She sent fighter pilot Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) back to her devastated home world of Caprica to retrieve an artifact.

"Season one really ends at episode seven [of season two]," series creator Ronald D. Moore says. "Adama's been shot; we have people stranded on the planet Kobol; Kara's back on Caprica; Laura's in jail.

"Adama does not get back on his feet again for several episodes. It's touch and go with him for a while. (First Officer) Tigh's in command. He gets them out of a tight situation in the first episode, but Tigh's not really the guy you want in command of the fleet. He makes some bad choices, and things go from bad to worse.

"Divisions form in the fleet. Laura gets out of jail and leads an insurgency; the fleet is split into two groups. Kara, back on Caprica, encounters a resistance movement. There are a lot of things happening."

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Pertaining to all the new sci-fi shows coming up, how's WB's Supernatural? Are there any good shows that are X-files-esque?

Ausiello: Supernatural had some pretty scary moments, as did ABC's Invasion and NBC's Surface, but ABC's Night Stalker redo

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: Hey Matt, great seeing you on the Sci-Fi Friday special last week! Always good to know that a respectable TV critic like yourself is out there supporting programs like the ones on the Sci Fi Channel. Of course, with rave reviews for Battlestar Galactica and viewership up, do you see this genre and these kinds of programs getting more mainstream respect and recognition? Having lived out Buffy's Emmy-less saga for years, I don't have a lot of hope for the crew of Galactica

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Matt

Question: Now that Sci Fi has picked up the original season of Firefly, and the movie Serenity (which I've seen, and love) is set to hit box offices far and wide Sept. 30, what are the chances of Sci Fi making new episodes of the series? I think I read that Joss Whedon closed down his production company, Mutant Enemy, but could he reopen it if Sci Fi wanted to do a new season? Ultimately, I'd guess much of it comes down to rights issues. Did I read that the same company that is doing the movie also owns Sci Fi, and if so would that make a revival more plausible? I do hope it has a chance of being a series again someday (even if after a couple of more movies), and I think it would make a great permanent addition to Sci Fi's Friday-night lineup. Sorry to be long-winded, but I always appreciate your support of and insight into Whedon's shows (and other great underdogs)! Thanks!

Matt Roush: I know a lot of people are anxious to see how Serenity does (especially the brains behind Farscape) so they can gauge the market for defunct TV shows becoming movies, and vice versa. If Serenity is a big hit, who knows where that will lead? But I would be surprised if it leads back to TV, even though NBC-Universal, which owns Sci Fi, is also the producer of Serenity (although Firefly was produced by another TV studio). It's beyond me to follow this corporate trail, or to comment on Joss Whedon's desire or ability to return to TV (let it be soon), but it seems that a series of movies, whether for big-screen, video/DVD or TV, is more likely than churning out a new batch of weekly episodes.

• 1 month later...
Guest ranster627

FROM Sci Fi Wire

2005 Fall SF TV Preview:

Part I

By Kathie Huddleston

Finally, sci-fi is back on network television. Lost, Desperate Housewives and Medium have shown executives the way just at the point when speculative fiction seemed fated to vanish from the networks altogether. The predominant trend this year is adding some speculative elements to a character-driven drama, shaking it up, layering in a complex mythology and acting as if it's all a brand-new idea.

One of the major forces in the new sci-fi explosion has been reality TV, which certainly reached a saturation point. But before it did, it reminded producers and network executives to think outside the box and get back to creating the water-cooler moments that graced television before it fell into a slumber of procedural dramas and lackluster comedies.

DVD collections have also been an influence. They offer people a chance to catch up with their favorite serialized shows and provide plenty of behind-the-scenes extras, insuring that fans stay excited about series.

Making way for the new stuff, we lost a couple of tired franchises (Enterprise, Andromeda), shows that had fallen off the path (Joan of Arcadia, Tru Calling), others that never found their rhythm (Jack & Bobby, Point Pleasant) and one that was canceled before its time (HBO's Carniv

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: SCI-FI WIRE

12:00 AM, 25-OCTOBER-05

stargate_tn.jpg

SG-1, Atlantis Renewed

SCI FI Channel announced that it has ordered a 10th season of Stargate SG-1 and a third season of its spinoff series, Stargate Atlantis. Production on both 20-episode seasons is slated to begin in early 2006 for summer premieres on SCI FI.

Heading into a 10th season, Stargate SG-1 becomes the longest-running SF drama in American television history, outlasting The X-Files, The Twilight Zone and every iteration of Star Trek. The first half of SG-1's ninth season has averaged 2.4 million viewers per week.

Stargate Atlantis has averaged more than 2.3 million viewers a week for the first half of its sophomore season.

SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper will return as executive producers on both series.

Stargate SG-1 is produced by Double Secret Productions, in association with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. and Sony Pictures Television. Stargate Atlantis is produced by Acme Shark, in association with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. and Sony Pictures Television.