Guatamala Preview

Adria0

Guest cappy

I heard that they would be filming Survivor 11 on the island of Madagascar.

On a footnote, Madagascars hissing cockroaches are featured on Fear Factor. :lol:

Guest ranster627

Hey Cappy, is that off the coast of Africa like in "Risk"? You wouldn't happen to have a map in that databank of yours?

I think that the Tsunami in parts of Africa and Asia will affect the Survivor producers island choice! Many countries/islands are still dealing with reconstruction/famon.

Guest ranster627
When will Survivor 11 air?
I would think it would start in Sept. that is how it has been in the past!!
Yeah, Survivor and AR take the fall and winter time slots; Big Brother rules the summer, other lesser shows get tossed into the summer line up too, like the Amish show from last season, Who Wants to Marry My Dad and the like.
On the Big Brother Forum there is a post from someone who went to the Miami casting call for BB6 and he said:
I went to the Miami Beach Casting call a bit back and I can give ya some insite on whats goin on. I did find that it will be 20 house guests for this next season and they definity extended the running time of the season. Thats all that they knew when I asked.

If there is an extended season, and it starts in late June, then Survivor 11 should start in early October since BIG BROTHER and Survivor have not overlapped in previous years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

http://truedorktimes.com/survivor_guatemal...ilers/ep0vc.htm

Clip of Survivor: Guatemala!

and:

CBS: "18 Survivors will be marooned within this mysterious and rugged terrain. For the first time, the castaways will actually live within the ruins of a vanished civilization. And they will be forced to embrace the ancient Maya lifestyle. Join us this fall as the adventure continues with Survivor: Guatemala, The Maya Empire."

Survivor 11 will take place in Yaxha National Park (see below).

tikal1fq.jpg

Guatemala is a small country, but it has much to offer visitors. It is a natural paradise offering some truly breathtaking scenery of mountains, lakes, volcanoes and flora and fauna. It has a number of very beautiful tropical volcanic beaches on the Pacific Ocean, and some large coral reefs on the Caribbean side. Guatemala ranks very high in biological diversity, and has numerous tropical low rainforests and mountain cloud forests. Guatemala also has some of the largest and most fascinating Mayan ruins found anywhere in Latin America, together with a friendly, Mayan population with their culture and traditions.

Guatemala has the largest Maya population of any country, and in terms of numbers, they are the dominant ethnic group. There are at least 15 distinct Mayan groups in the country, mostly living in the highlands. After years of brutal war, tribal elders have recently signed a pact with the Guatemalan government guaranteeing land and political rights, and freedom to practice their traditional religion. Guatamalen Mayas produce beautiful textiles, pottery and baskets. One town especially, Chichicastenango, has a renowned market dating back to pre-Columbian times.

map2.gif

Mayan Ruins in Guatemala are a living testimony to a culture that once flourished between 700 BC to 900 AD. The most prominent Mayan Ruins can be found in the Tikal area and across the Honduran border in Copan. Smaller remains of Mayan buildings can be seen all over Guatemala.

Mayan Ruins are the truly astounding evidence of a long lasting, dynamic cultural tradition. The monuments paid tribute to the rulers of the past, and inscriptions inside are concerned with dynasties and conquests, alliance and raids. Some 10 square miles of central Tikal have been mapped revealing over 3000 separate constructions: Huge stones brought down by the rivers of the south coast served as the raw material for the carving of gigantic sculptures that have been found in this region.

guatemalamayanruins1ps.jpg

Tikal

Tikal, at one time the largest Mayan city in the world, is now a world famous site of Mayan ruins. The ancient Maya began constructing Tikal around 550 B.C., and for many centuries thereafter the city was an important religious, and political center. Today, the largest number of Mayan ruins in the world are to be found in Tikal. The ruins, extending over six square miles, include temples, pyramids, terraces, palaces, ceremonial platforms, plazas, steam baths, and other stone structures. It is estimated that only about 30% of the ruins have been excavated - the remaining 70% lie buried underground.

tikal31fo.jpg

Yaxha National Park

Yaxha, which means

Wow after reading that I also question why or how it's going to be allowed for a TV show to come in and use these historical places. It kinda upsets me that it's happening. I know someone said something about this in another thread but, the article above kinda hit it home for me.

Thank you Diva for posting this article.

Suds, I'm not sure. However, I think its one of the more recent finds. What I'm wondering is if the BIG bucks paid for the Survivors to be there, plus the free publicity will go a long way toward efforts of further excavations. One other thing of interest in terms of the show being done there, is the countries history of civil unrest and crimes toward travelers there. The following link gives some very intersting info on just how recent all of this is.

Particularly the most recent President, sworn in in 2000.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/c...ala/history.htm

Thanks Ranster, but Jem did her usual "fine" job in helping me get them there. There wouldn't be photos without her assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

"Survivor", the mystery continues.

English Translation (i-dem.org 4.21.05)

The environmentalists and the Ministry of Culture continue having doubts on the benefits of the shooting of the program "Survivor" in the park Yaxh

Guest ranster627

"SURVIVOR" WOULD BE an OPTION OF TOURIST PROMOTION

After being consulted regarding the reality show "Survivor" being filmed in Yaxh

Guest ranster627

Guatemala Wants 'Survivor' Boost

GUATEMALA CITY, May 20, 2005

(CBS/AP) Guatemalan officials are hoping that the new edition of the CBS reality show "Survivor" will draw more tourists to the spectacular Mayan ruins of the Peten jungle.

"It is a program seen by 200 million people and we have the opportunity to show our archaeological riches," presidential tourism commissioner Willy Kaltschmitt said on Friday.

The American television network announced last week that the next edition of Survivor would be called "Guatemala

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

So far there is no premiere date in September posted yet at CBS Adria, or if there is, I couldn't find it ...

Archived