'Veronica Mars'

Guest XandraSkye

Guest XandraSkye

Does anyone watch this show? I love it. She's the coolest female character to come along since Buffy Summers. I even like her more than Sydney Bristow. If you like mysteries and smart dialogue this show is definitely worth checking out. And for those of you who do watch it, here's some good news I found on the 'Entertainment News' on TVGuide.com.

THE PLANETS ARE ALIGNEDreaction and scoop on Season 2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Veronica Mars' Ready to Sleuth Again

By John Crook

kristenbell_veronicamars_240_006.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - You might think Rob Thomas, creator and executive producer of UPN's "Veronica Mars," would be feeling a little morose these days.

After all, his Tuesday series about a resourceful teenage sleuth (Kristen Bell, "Gracie's Choice") has attracted glowing reviews and a devout cult following. Yet it still languishes in the Nielsen ratings basement.

Thomas says he isn't really surprised, though. "I went through a similar situation on 'Cupid,'" he says, referring to his short-lived 1998-99 Jeremy Piven dramedy on ABC. "I've never done a commercially successful show. I'll have 'Critical Darling, Commercial Flop' on my tombstone."

Thomas says he understands perfectly well why most new viewers come to "Veronica" at the urging of a friend who already knows firsthand how the show transcends its basic premise.

"I'm not sure if I would start watching a show billed as 'teenage private eye,'" he says. "That one-sentence description could sound cheesy. This is pretty much a word-of-mouth show."

And fans should have plenty to talk about as the first season draws to a close. The last two episodes, on May 3 and 10, will answer the two big questions of the season. "In the first one, Veronica finally gets to the bottom of what happened on the night she was drugged and raped. Then in the final episode we answer the question of who killed Lily Kane," Thomas reveals.

Guest XandraSkye
I have not as yet checked this one yet, is it a drama or comedy???

It's more drama but it's sort of like Buffy where there are a lot of quick quips. It's basically a detective show. Think Nancy Drew for the new millennium. It's really, really good. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Guest XandraSkye

I was just on TVShowOnDVD.com and found this out:

Now there's different news, courtesy of Rob Thomas, the creator of Veronica Mars. At his production company's official website, in the Frequently Asked Questions area that you can find under the Veronica Mars section comes this quote:

Will there be a Veronica Mars Season 1 DVD.

Yes. But we've been given a tough choice regarding how the DVD is released. Warner Home Video has told us that we can only get the DVD out in September if we don't include any extras. They have to start pressing them right now. I would love to do extras for the package, but our team thinks it's too important to get the DVD out before we begin season 2 to wait.

You can get the entire article at:

%5b/color" target="_blank">]http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?N...351

I have not as yet checked this one yet, is it a drama or comedy???

It's more drama but it's sort of like Buffy where there are a lot of quick quips. It's basically a detective show. Think Nancy Drew for the new millennium. It's really, really good. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Thanks might check it out, I've a lot about this show :D:D

Guest XandraSkye

From the 'Hot List' on TVGuide.com about tonight's NEW episode:

Veronica Mars

9 pm/ET, UPN

With only one more first-run episode to go, the series resolves one of its most intriguing story lines. Last week Veronica learned that Logan had GHB in his possession the night she blacked out. Tonight she tries to find out what happened, and what part the wealthy bad boy played in it.

Guest XandraSkye

From the 'Hot List' on TVGuide.com about tonight's SEASON FINALE:

Veronica Mars

9 pm/ET, UPN

The mystery series concludes its first season with a bang-up episode that's sure to have fans talking. Veronica lives up to the promise she made in the show's premiere episode when she 1) figures out who killed Lilly; and 2) reunites her family. Of course, the identity of that killer has yet to be revealed and "reunited" doesn't always play out like a Peaches & Herb song.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Plot Thickens for 'Veronica Mars'

By Rick Porter

veronmars4cd.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "Veronica Mars" solved one big mystery -- Who killed Lilly Kane? -- last season, and she'll tackle another one this year. But behind the scenes of the UPN series, creator Rob Thomas is facing a puzzle of his own.

Namely, how do you get viewers involved in a new case, keep the characters they love around, and stay away from post-Laura Palmer "Twin Peaks" territory -- all while airing in a brutally competitive hour opposite another show steeped in the mysterious?

"That's a good question," Thomas admits. He and his fellow writers are facing a challenge for season two of "Veronica Mars" that almost no other show has to consider, with the possible exception of "24." After finishing last year on a note of closure -- we found out that faded movie star Aaron Echolls (Harry Hamlin) killed Veronica's (Kristen Bell) best friend -- the show has to establish an entirely new story this year while simultaneously building on the relationships the characters established last season.

"It's a huge challenge. I have worked on many shows, and I think 'Veronica Mars' is the toughest show to break episodes of anything I've ever worked on," Thomas says. "Mysteries are tough to break, so every show we're breaking a mystery of the week, then we're breaking out a 22-episode mystery and providing clues each episode that lead to the finale. It kills us."

Although she's solved the Kane case, life hasn't exactly gone smoothly for Veronica in the months between Aaron Echolls' arrest and the season opener, which airs at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday (Sept. 28) on UPN. (It's a prime spot on the network's schedule, with "America's Next Top Model" as a lead-in, although it must also air against ABC's hit "Lost.")

The town of Neptune is still dealing with the fallout from the case -- and from Logan's (Jason Dohring) run-in with Weevil (Francis Capra) and his boys in the finale. Veronica, meanwhile, finds herself straddling the class line at Neptune High between the rich "09ers" and the outcasts she identified with last year. And that's before the new mystery -- "there's gonna be death," Thomas promises -- kicks in.

"In episode one we'll introduce the big mystery, and there won't be any doubt about it when it happens," he says. "If you're wondering [during the premiere], Is this the big mystery, it hasn't happened yet."

With the new story arc will come several new characters, including Steve Guttenberg as a wealthy Neptune resident who's running for mayor, Charisma Carpenter ("Angel") as the trophy-wife stepmom of Dick and Beaver Casablancas (Ryan Hansen and Kyle Gallner, who will be regulars this year), and Tessa Thompson as a new Neptune High student, the daughter of a big-league ballplayer (Jeffery Sams).

Teddy Dunn, Percy Daggs III and Enrico Colantoni return, as do Dohring and Capra, but the new mystery may mean some of them don't play as large a role this season as they did last.

"About midway through [last] year, we started having to think about the big mystery for season two," Thomas says. "It's not built to sustain -- because we have regular cast members, we can't bring back the Kanes and the Echollses and have them all be involved in the mystery. We need new blood for the show."

He hopes that "Veronica's" fiercely loyal cadre of fans will understand the shift and stay involved with the characters.

"You go through four years of development hell struggling to get your pilot ordered, struggling to get the show on the air. At that point I'm not thinking season two," Thomas says. "I really did conceive of the show as this one-year mystery.

"I didn't know if fans would gravitate toward it. I didn't know if in success, are we being driven by the mystery of the week, is that what people find the most fun, or is it the overarching story? The thing we certainly learned is that the fans of the show, I think they're cool with the mystery of the week, but I think what they come back for is the ongoing mystery."

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Veronica Mars

I'm so glad, my very favorite show has returned for a second season, and its return was made even better by the fact that Logan was behind the door. I was totally hoping for that... but was that what Veronica wanted? She had sort of a quizzical tone to her voice when she said Logan's name. Was that just because she was surprised by his condition, or was she hoping for Duncan in the shadows of her mind? Either way, I was pretty happy that she was briefly with my dreamy Logan, who optimistically proposed Tom Welling as the actor to play him in the TV-movie. That may seem like a long shot, but I think the lovely Jason Dohring isn't too far out of his league. But I do understand (sigh), much as I hate to admit it, why our petite heroine dumped the dude who was doing dastardly deeds to the underprivileged. Something big is going to go down this season, and I've got a feeling it isn't just going to be that bus going off the cliff. The whole Weevil-Logan hatred compiled with the Logan-Duncan tension and social-class issues are going to turn into an all-out war. Someone, please, just tell me that Logan isn't responsible for the bus crash. Obviously, it went cliff-diving because of tampering, but I only had the fleeting thought of Logan's involvement when I rewatched and noticed that his last words to Ms. Mars before she headed out for the field trip were "I'm going to miss you." The Logan lover in me says it can't be so and that he was just being all sentimental and remorseful. But then he immediately headed over to get some fun lovin' from Cordelia, um, Charisma, aka former Laker-girl Kendall Casablancas. Seems sketchy. And it was too convenient that her two stepsons are known as Dick and Beaver, so Logan got to utter the double entrendre "Can Dick and Beaver come out to play?" when he arrived for his booty call. Were the writers waiting all summer for that one or what? My other big query: What did Duncan's fortune cookie say? It must have been something pretty special, because I've always considered him pretty dopey. I guess now that they aren't related it isn't quite so icky. Anyway, I think it's pretty cool that Veronica is back in crime-fighting mode. Last season she figured out who offed her best friend, and now she's got a whole busload

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Veronica Mars

I was just getting ready to write about how wonderful it was that this episode didn't end on a big cliff-hanger and instead resolved with Keith agreeing to run for sheriff... and then they had to go and hit me with that last scene. Why does the dead guy who washed ashore have Veronica's name written on his hand? Every time I think I'm actually getting somewhere in figuring out any part of this mystery, the sneaky writers throw me for a huge loop. They still remember to insert brilliantly witty dialogue and to use of guest stars cleverly. It was so smart to have Clerks creator Kevin Smith working as a clerk at a convenience store. If only Veronica could have been the 37th person to ask about the dead guy's last meal instead of the 97th... now that would have been a perfect in-joke.

On the love-life front, Wallace has a girlfriend. Or at least he's got the interest of the prissy Jackie, who should keep hanging around him as long as he remains useful. Logan and Mrs. Casablancas are having a torrid, wall-banging, "Live Large" condom kind of affair, and the Beav and Veronica are both onto it. Duncan's ex-girlfriend, Meg, is the only one who survived the bus accident, but she's on life support. Though this news threatened Duncan and Veronica's relationship, they wound up having sex, for the first time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: AOL TELEVISION, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Four Series Are the Ones to Watch

By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY

(Oct. 28) -- Looking for the best shows on TV? Look no further than these four, which actually have strengthened in their second year:

"Lost" (ABC, Wednesday, 9 p.m. ET/PT)

Each week, this brilliant, beautiful, intricate series about life lived in doubt has strengthened its claim as TV's top series. Start with the perfectly pitched season premiere, which ingeniously negotiated the dance a series like Lost must master: doling out enough information to keep an audience involved without depleting the series' store.

From there, it has been one high point after another

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Veronica Mars

The first time I saw this episode, I was so emotionally distraught about the bus crash and the turmoil that has fallen upon Neptune that I didn't truly appreciate the humor. On second viewing I agree with Veronica: Johnny Damon is probably the prettiest baseball player out there. And I agree with Woody Goodman: I like watching ball games with lots of home runs and heavy hitting. It is just more fun that way

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Hey, Matt, love the column. I just watched the Oct. 26 episode of Veronica Mars and was absolutely blown away. This was, in my opinion, the best episode of the season so far (in what has been an absolutely excellent second year). I loved the scene between Wallace and Veronica in which Wallace accused her of operating as if it's all about Veronica and everyone else just lives in her world. To me, that scene is what separates a show such as VM from the rest: well-written, well-acted and based on history. Every fan of the show realized how one-sided Veronica and Wallace's relationship was, but to see it play out on-screen was sheer brilliance. Also, I admit I was nervous about the new Jackie character, but I love how she was the catalyst in this great episode. I think she is a formidable match for Veronica in the future. Her "just pick one" line was just classic. What do you think of Jackie? And do you think that Kristen Bell is one of the best (if not the best) actress on television? Her range of emotions and her portrayal of a conflicted Veronica are can't-miss acting to me.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE INSIDER

COULD HAVE SPOILERS

Your Burning Veronica Mars Questions Answered

Will we ever know what they did last summer?

As TV's coolest sleuth returns in fresh episodes of UPN's Veronica Mars (Wednesdays at 9 pm/ET), fans are dying to know: What was in the note Weevil wrote Lilly last season? When will Jake Kane and Veronica's mom be back? Well, it's time to get a clue: TVGuide.com readers sent in their burning questions for the show's producers and Mars creator Rob Thomas once again provided the answers in an exclusive Q&A.

Question: Is the big murder mystery this season the bus crash or the murder Logan was accused of? Or both?

Veronica Mars

I know Clarence Weidman isn't technically bad, but I still wouldn't want to run into him in a dark alley. But actually I wouldn't want to run into Keith Mars in a dark alley either, if I had done anything to his daughter. He's so the dad of the year in Neptune... not that the sadly still-not-sheriff has much competition. Parental units are rapidly disappearing or becoming a thing of the past in this town. Veronica's mom skipped town, Logan's mom allegedly killed herself and his dad's in the slammer, Duncan's parents are hiding out away from the whole Lilly scandal, and now Dick and the Beav's dad has taken off to parts unknown. And while the Beav was thrown for a loop by his step mom's philandering with Logan, Dick had a totally different outlook. "Dude, my step mom? Better you than the cable guy." Oh, Gia's got a seemingly good dad but she's set on becoming a wild child. "I thought I'd go more Bush-twin style. Public drunkenness, sluttiness and minor scandals," she tells V when asked about her dad's mayoral position. While Gia (who I keep wanting to call Amelie

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ROUSH REVIEW

Our (Cult) Hero

Veronica: The year's coolest underdog

"I'm officially calling life unfair," teen sleuth Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) moaned after her dad lost a tight race for sheriff this month. And has she even seen the ratings? Talk about unfair.

Ironically, the two shows having the best sophomore seasons air opposite each other: the popular Lost and the equally fine but underwatched Veronica Mars (Wednesdays at 9 pm/ET on UPN). As the show's tiny but rabid fan base will tell you, this one actually gives you answers to its mysteries.

Mars' payoffs come in many ways: in the clever blend of heart-stopping whodunit and heartfelt teen soap, in the witty dialogue for characters young and adult, and in the biting depiction of class and racial tensions among the haves and have-nots of Neptune, Calif.

Sly, scrappy, yet emotionally vulnerable, Bell makes Veronica the toughest, funniest, most sympathetic cult heroine since Buffy the Vampire Slayer (whose creator, Joss Whedon, appeared in a cameo). She's an outsider torn between two social insiders: software scion Duncan (Teddy Dunn) and bad boy Logan (Jason Dohring), whose movie-star dad killed her best friend in last season's big murder mystery.

This year's puzzle is even more shocking: a rigged school-bus crash that may have been meant for Veronica. Wracked with survivor's guilt, she investigates with her dad (the wonderfully wry Enrico Colantoni) when she's not busy coming of age or solving the occasional offbeat amateur-detective case.

Veronica Mars is too original a show to be easily pigeonholed and too good to get lost against Lost.

Edited by Dade

• 2 weeks later...

Veronica Mars

I have to say I think I kinda like Logan and Veronica when they are split up and bickering. I mean obviously I love them together, but then we wouldn't get great lines like, "Oh, you are being a jackass... it must be an even numbered day. I do so prefer the odd numbered days when you are kissing my ass for a favor." So they argue, but he totally had her back when she had a run in with the nasty Fighting Fitzgerald gang. It was like her knight in shining armor... though I really hate that yellow steed he drives. But Weevil's little Russian roulette game with Logan seems like it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, which I cannot wait to watch. Duncan was being a weirdo and that doesn't seem like it is going anywhere, though I'm curious as to the contents of that letter. His dreams about Meg? What is up with that, though loved that he invsioned his current girlfriend in that sexy outfit at the beginning. I know it was supposed to be all bad girl and un Veronica, but whoa, she looked good! And Mac is back. And she's the Q to Veronica's Bond. Yay, and they uncovered a whole Pump up the Volume style underground radio station now being run by Butters, I mean, Vincent. But gotta love that Veronica's big plan when knocking on the door and seeing the vice-principal was to rely on Rocky Horror dialogue in order to get in the door. She's a resourceful one that Veronica, she must get that from her dad who was on to Marcos dad and his plot to frame the school district right from the get go. They really are the coolest father and daughter combo on TV. And I'm not just saying that because Enrico is the nicest man around. Don't believe me? Listen to our podcast. --- Angel Cohn