QAF: Queer as Folk

Guest GaYToR

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627
Showtimes May schedule has confirmed "The L Word" will wrap its second season on Sunday, May 15 at 10:00/9:00c. "Queer as Folk," which is entering its final season, then will take over the slot the following week.

QAF .... yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of my all time favourite shows! You made my day!

Cannot wait for the final season of QAF but I will be sad to see it end..

I can't wait for QAF to start either, I love that show didn't know it would be the final season :cry:

Yes, unfortunately  :(  It's confirmed on sho.com

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

Paige Faces Final Year of 'Queer'

(Saturday, May 21 12:02 AM)

By John Crook

peterpaige_queerasfolk_240.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - In the fifth season of Showtime's "Queer as Folk," which begins on Sunday, May 22, flamboyant party planner Emmett Honeycutt lands an exciting new gig as the "Queer Guy" on a local TV news team.

In a bittersweet coincidence, however, this same season marks the swan song for Emmett's portrayer, Peter Paige. Showtime recently announced the controversial drama about gay life in the United States will end its run after this new batch of episodes.

"I have very mixed feelings about that," 36-year-old Paige says. "On the one hand, I've been playing this for five years now, so I'm excited to put on someone else's leather pants. But on another level, when we lost the [2004 U.S. presidential] election, I thought, 'No. I want to come back and make more TV next year, because it's so important that something like this is on the air.' I hope that something comes along soon to take our place."

One of only three openly gay actors in the show's large ensemble cast, Paige has emerged as, arguably, the breakout star of the series, crafting an endearing and complex character out of a role that was barely there in the 2000 premiere episode. Emmett originally was conceived as a subordinate character on the sidelines of the story.

Yet Paige, a classically trained actor who has performed at most of this country's leading regional theaters, recognized something remarkable about his underwritten role: Emmett was a sissy who didn't hate himself.

"When I read the pilot, what got me excited about Emmett was that -- and I had not seen this before -- here is an effeminate gay man who actually likes himself," Paige says. "Out of that, everything else flowed. I really clung to that, and the producers started writing for that. It was important to me that Emmett be conceived as attractive, that Emmett have a sexual life in the context of the show and in the context of the world itself. After all, every nelly queen I know gets laid.

"I'm really proud of that. Somebody said to me once, 'You give nelly queens a good name,' and I thought, you know what? Nelly queens deserve a good name. There are a lot of good nelly queens out there."

Part of that concept meant that Paige didn't shy away from showing skin when a scene called for it. He also learned, however, that sometimes a nude actor is "honest and truthful," while other times he's simply, well, naked.

"I did full frontal nudity on the show twice," Paige says. "The first time was when Emmett has sex with a woman, and it felt beautiful and vulnerable and heartbreaking, and absolutely makes the audience experience where the character is at.

"Later, I did this locker-room scene, and I think we were all getting kind of uppity and thinking, 'Oh, we're in a locker room so everyone's naked.' But in that scene, I found, no one listens to the dialogue because everybody's just staring. It was just unnecessary and gratuitous, and that second time is why I never did it again."

A native of Connecticut, Paige grew up with parents who divorced before he was 2 yet didn't stint on the love and support.

"They both definitely had their own crosses to bear, as do we all, and my childhood was far from perfect, but my problems were about too much love, if anything, not too little," the actor says.

He made his stage debut at age 6 playing the Scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz." Afterwards, his family asked him whether he wanted to be an actor when he grew up.

"Yep," he replied.

"They thought it was really cute then," Paige says, laughing. "They didn't think it was so cute when I was in high school and told them I was going to acting school for college."

By then, Paige had polished his talent enough to earn a full scholarship to Boston University's School of Theatre Arts, where he eventually graduated summa cum laude. With New York as a home base, Paige toured the country in a production of Moliere's "Tartuffe" -- in two languages -- then landed gigs at regional theaters.

While working in Portland, Ore., he was discovered by his current manager, who brought him to Los Angeles, where he quickly landed a memorable guest appearance as a nervous undertaker on NBC's "Suddenly Susan."

Paige spent last summer making his film directing debut in "Say Uncle," which he also wrote. The comedy-drama is about a young gay man who becomes a pariah after he wrongly is branded a pedophile.

Craig Zadan, Paige's mentor and a producer whose credits include the Oscar-winning "Chicago," gives the film very high praise, comparing it to "Citizen Ruth," the feature film writing and directing debut of Alexander Payne ("Sideways").

Despite a cast that includes such comedy names as Kathy Najimy and Anthony Clark, the emotionally charged film still lacks a distributor.

"People are scared of it, for sure," Paige says. "It's not an easy film to market, and I'm not naive to that fact, but throughout this process the right people have come along. I got an amazing cast, all of whom brought their incredible talents to the movie, so I am sure the right distributor will come along as well."

Until then, he's saying goodbye to Emmett Honeycutt and savoring what that character has meant to fans.

"A 16-year-old boy stopped me on the street and said, 'You are my hero. I came out to my family because of you,'" Paige recalls. "It just doesn't get any better than that, and I will take that to my grave.

"To be on a television series is a great high for an actor, and to be on a show that has, as I honestly believe, helped change the world in some ways means more to me than I could ever express."

Wonderful article thanks for posting it!

Ok here is what went down last night I will try not to spoil too much but I realized last night how much I will truly miss this show once it is over.

First it was 2 episodes in one and it ran a little over and hour and a half.

Lindsay and Mel are not living together. Gus (he got soo big and he is just adorable) is living in an apt with Linds and Jenny Rebecca (they call her JR) is living with Mel. They both kept it a secret from Michael and his partner who's name I can never remember and Michael's mother. Brian was the only one who knew. Everyone found out when they threw them a 10th anniversary party needless to say there were some very unahppy guests! Michael is trying to sue for joint custody of JR.

As you know Justin was in LA working on the film version of Rage but production got shut down and he is back in Philly.

Babolyn got shut down and Brian bought it and re-opened it but it seems that all the men have found a new place to party and he is going to lose a lot of money in his investment.

I don't want to spoil what happens to Teddy but I will say he needs to love the person god made and not try to change himself.

It's early so this is all I can remember off hand I know you like spoilers but I hate to ruin it all for you. :D

Guest ranster627

Great summary and thanks so much ... here in Canada it is scheduled to run 65 minutes including commercials ... tonight at 10pm EST

Guest ranster627

qaf_finale170.jpgqaf_kiss70.jpg

Gaywatch:

"Queer as Folk," the final season

Christine Champagne

After watching a screener of the two-hour premiere of the fifth and final season of "Queer as Folk" (the opener airs on Showtime Sunday, May 22 at 10 p.m. EST), I marvelled at how we fans of the series have truly seen the original Liberty Avenue gang -- Brian (Gale Harold), Michael (Hal Sparks), Justin (Randy Harrison), Emmett (Peter Paige) and Ted (Scott Lowell) -- go from boys to men.

Without revealing every plot twist (and don't read on if you'd rather not know anything about the opener before it airs), the fifth season premiere finds the guys dealing, for the most part, with decidedly adult issues.

For starters, Michael and Ben (Robert Gant) wonder if it's time to leave their Liberty Avenue apartment building (essentially a gay dorm) for a more tranquil and grown-up home. Not surprisingly, Brian, a refreshingly contrarian voice, isn't a supporter of the move, asserting, "Some of us queers prefer dancing and fucking to kiddies and picket fences."

Meanwhile, Michael throws a surprise 10th anniversary party for Melanie (Michelle Clunie) and Lindsay (Thea Gill), where the women finally inform their friends that they have split up. Michael, who assumed the baby he fathered for the lesbians would grow up in a two-parent home, is shocked. Might he decide the infant would be better off raised in a household such as his and Ben's? Can you say "lawsuit"?

So much for one big, happy family. This storyline, delving into the complications of surrogate parenting, has the potential to be among the most groundbreaking featured on "Queer as Folk."

Elsewhere, Debbie (Sharon Gless) and Carl (Peter MacNeill), who have been living at his place, decide to move back into her house, which leaves Emmett on the street. But given that Emmett is like a son to her, Deb faces a serious case of empty-nest syndrome. Away from the homefront, Emmett lands a new job that'll have him competing with the likes of Carson Kressley.

As for Ted, he starts to see the effects of aging (and his insatiable craving for donuts and pizza) when he realizes he's getting tubby. He also gets wise to the fact that his hair is thinning. But Ted will not go quietly into the land of potbellies and wrinkles. In fact, he takes comically drastic measures to obtain a more youthful appearance, and if you're the right age, you'll find yourself not only laughing at but also relating to him -- probably more than you'd like to admit.

Out in Los Angeles, Justin works on the feature-film version of the "Rage" comic book he and Michael created, and the lead role is cast. Who lands the part? I won't tell, but, sadly, it isn't Brian, Brad Pitt or Russell Crowe.

While Justin lives it up in La La Land, Brian, who clearly misses him, resigns himself to the fact that his young lover might never return to Pittsburgh. On a happier note, Brian's agency, Kinnetik, is raking in money hand over fist, allowing him to splurge on a new diversion.

An engaging episode, the opener sets the stage for what could be a wonderfully rich final season of "Queer as Folk." Showtime actually sent reviewers not just the first few episodes -- as they generally do -- but the entire last season of "QAF." I haven't let myself watch anything except the opener, but I can still share a few more details of what's to come.

Look for Rosie O'Donnell to guest star in three episodes as Loretta Pye, a timid woman who flees her abusive husband and takes a job at the Liberty Diner. It isn't long before Loretta becomes a stronger person thanks to Debbie's influence and starts to develop feelings for her mentor.

O'Donnell isn't the only celebrity who will put in an appearance this season. Cyndi Lauper will make a cameo in an episode that has the gang holding a fundraiser against legislation that would prohibit gay people from adopting children and sharing health benefits. Lauper will sing on the show, of course, performing a new club remix of "Shine" that was specifically recorded for "Queer as Folk."

Guest ranster627
I always wondered if Brian (Gale Harold) was gay in real life. I know only a few of the men on the show actually are.

Both Brian (Gale Harold) and Michael (Hal Sparks) are not gay according to all reports and according to them.

Guest ranster627

FROM AfterElton

michael-ben.jpgted-brian-emmett.jpgjustin.jpg

Queer as Folk's Last Hurrah

by Malinda Lo, May 24, 2005

Warning: mild spoilers

I first watched Queer as Folk when the first season came out on DVD in 2002, over a year after the American version of the provocative British drama premiered on Showtime. But I was hooked from the first line of the first episode:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ranster627

hilight_quiz.jpg

http://www.showcase.ca/queerasfolk/features/

Second icon down after you click the link!

note: This is a Canadian site ...

Are you most like Michael, Emmett, Ted, Justin, Brian or Ben?

Here's who I got ...

char_emmett.jpg

The character you are most like is Emmett Honeycutt.

Confident and self-assured, you possess the special gift of being sure enough in yourself to just be you - no matter what anybody thinks. This personality trait doesn't mean that you are aggressive or condescending, though. That is probably the last thing from on your mind.

When it comes to how you look when you hit the town (which you most definitely do on a regular basis), you spend a good amount of time grooming and prepping yourself to be noticed, because if you are not looking fabulous what is the point in going out at all?

Caring and considerate, your gregarious, free-spirited demeanor is unthreatening to people, so you make friends easily. Consistently able to get a laugh with your caustic humour, you use it to your advantage in winning friends and influencing people.

I don't agree!! lol

The character you are most like is Ted Schmidt.

A bit shy and a tad insecure you are most likely to feel like a bit awkward in the social arena. For what you lack in the aforementioned scene you make up for in intellect and compassion. Your tastes are most definitely honed to the point where you would probably choose Bizet over Jay-Z and Moby Dick over Maxim. At the same time however, you have little interest in high-end fashions or expensive cars, preferring to blend in rather than stick out. But that doesn't mean you would ever condescend to those with less refined interests.

In fact, when it comes to your perception of others, you treat everyone you meet as a blank slate and would never intentionally prejudge. You may come across as a bit ordinary to some, but that is only because they probably have not taken the time to get to know the real you.