Desperate Housewives in the Media

Jem

Desperate for 'Housewives'

Source - NY Daily News

felicity_huffman27.jpg

'Housewives' - Marcia Cross (left) and Teri Hatcher (center)

and Felicity Huffman (right).

I want my "Desperate Housewives" - and ABC is trying my patience, and probably yours, by not delivering it.

The last time ABC was handed a smash hit as an unexpected gift from the TV gods, it was when Regis Philbin presided over "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire." That time, ABC killed its golden goose by overexposing it, turning it into a weekly series and scheduling it as many as four times a week.

This time, with "Desperate Housewives" as one of the hottest shows on television, ABC is risking the ill will of viewers once again - by withholding episodes and asking the show's fans to wait for fresh installments.

And wait, and wait...

At the height of "Millionaire" mania, ABC executives defended their desire to spread the show all over the network schedule by likening it to "crack cocaine."

There are new ABC executives in charge now. And if there's a street-drug parallel with "Housewives," it's that ABC is a dealer, hooking viewers on a new addiction - then cruelly withholding it.

The next first-run episode of "Desperate Housewives" will be March 27, a week from Sunday. After that, ABC promises weekly episodes without interruption until the season finale in May. Saving all that juicy fruit for the spring harvest, though, has made it a tough winter for fans.

For the most recent original episode, you have to go back a month - before "Jake in Progress," "Their Eyes were Watching God" and the Oscars all occupied the "Housewives" time slot. Add this weekend's rerun to the list, and that'll make five weeks between fresh episodes.

That's not the only irritating run of reruns, either. "Desperate Housewives" started the season with massive momentum in October. But by the end of the year and the Christmas holidays, "Housewives" began to stand up their weekly Sunday dates.

Dumped for 'Dynasty'

The first Sunday of the New Year, "Housewives" was preempted for the staggeringly abysmal "Dynasty: The Making of a Guilty Pleasure," and it's been downhill ever since. Even accepting the notion that there's no sense wasting an original episode opposite the Super Bowl, the "Housewives" scorecard for 2005, through this Sunday, has been an exercise in frustration: five new installments, seven reruns or preemptions.

Do you even remember how the last "Housewives" ended? I'm a huge fan of the show, and everyone working on it, and I love the story lines - but it has been so long between episodes I don't recall them, past vague recollections of Teri Hatcher's Susan breaking up with James Denton's Mike, Felicity Huffman's Lynette sabotaging her husband's promotion, and Marcia Cross' Bree agreeing to explore new sexual frontiers with estranged husband Rex (Steven Culp).

And if that doesn't define a network tease, I don't know what does.

Over at Fox, they have it right with "24." The season didn't begin until January, but it began with a bang, and hasn't stopped at all. Every week, you can count on it until its day is done - just as, on HBO, even the uncomfortably long waits for new seasons of "The Sopranos," "Deadwood" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" are rewarded, eventually, with uninterrupted weekly runs of great television.

When this season began, ABC's plan was to run "Desperate Housewives" without interruption from October to January, then finish the season with "Alias" doing the same sequential sprint in the same time slot. But when "Desperate" became a huge hit, ABC got - does this sound familiar? - greedy, and changed its plans accordingly.

'Lost' opportunity

So far, the move of "Alias" to Wednesdays, thanks to the popularity of "Lost," has helped that show, and hasn't hurt "Housewives." But since ABC doesn't seem to be asking itself this, I will: How much more potent would "Desperate Housewives" - and, for that matter, "Lost" - be, as both ratings hits and pop-culture obsessions, if they were scheduled to run unabated the way "24" is now?

Just because ABC's biggest new hits have the words "Lost" and "Desperate" in their titles doesn't mean the network has to program them with those concepts in mind.

You've given us great new shows, ABC. Now give them to us regularly. Appointment TV doesn't work if only the viewers make a point of showing up. The programs have to be there, too.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right on the money yet again Jem.

I have given up on Desperate Housewives. As for Lost, im stuck, I love Charlie to death and will wait to see how that all ends up. But ABC is loosing alot of viewers by playing this game.

I watch 24 like clockwork, its on time! Love Keifer! So glad to see Tony is back, and loved seeing Michelle get a slap of reality last week! I was hopeing to see Cloe brought back in, she was trustworthy and they all have worked so well together.

Sorry veared of Topic a bit. lol, What i wanted to say was Jem , you got it going on with your insights with all the shows. Kudos to you!

Guest XandraSkye
Frankly, I think the networks should just make more episodes per season ... I know this was discussed to death in a previous subject ... but I wanted to add my one cent ... I do not feel prepared to value my opinion (restating the obvious) as two cents yet ....  :D

Well, yeah...that goes without saying. :P I'm sure if money was no object and the actors didn't care about having time off they would produce 52 episodes of "Desperate Housewives" a year.

I agree

I love both shows and i dont even watch Lost anymore because everytime i go to watch its a rerun and then when i do miss the show it was not a rerun so like the shows title i am LOST.

Desperate Housewives is frustratting too. I believe what happened is that ABC probably didnt think either show was going to be such a hit and only ordered a few eps. when they took off they needed to scramble for more eps.

One of my friends made their work schedule around desperate housewives and gets so po-d when its not on!

Guest XandraSkye
Desperate Housewives is frustratting too.  I believe what happened is that ABC probably didnt think either show was going to be such a hit and only ordered a few eps.  when they took off they needed to scramble for more eps.

That is not the case at all FLYNWA. (See this is why I post certain "off topic" items in threads because ppl don't always read their PMs or the posts in other threads that would relate to this.)

Above I had answerd the question to why we seem to get some many reruns but I moved it at a mod's request.

Short version, DH got picked up for full season, which is (usually) a 22-episode order for (most) hour-long dramas but the normal TV season runs longer than 22 weeks so they have to show reruns to make the new episodes stretch thru the entire TV season. If they showed all 22 episodes in a row, the TV season would only last 4-5 months and we would have to go 7-8 months with out new episodes.

If you want a longer explaination go to my thread under TV Talk called "TV Seasons and Reruns".

'Desperate Housewives' Has a Cherry on Top

By Kate O'Hare

desperate.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - represents the Hollywood dream of American suburbia, it's interesting to think it was born out of the mind of a man who was living through a Hollywood nightmare.

Fortyish, unemployed and being bamboozled by his agent (who later went to jail for embezzlement), sitcom writer Marc Cherry couldn't get a interview, let alone a writing job, a couple of years ago. So out of sheer desperation, he began to pen a spec script for a show that likely nobody would want (and, indeed, four networks rejected it initially).

But salvation came with a new agent and ABC executives Lloyd Braun and Susan Lyne, who saw the promise in "Desperate Housewives" and picked it up ... and wound up being fired shortly afterward. In a town where irony is as omnipresent as oxygen, their development slate - which, along with "Desperate Housewives," featured "Lost," the other big water-cooler show of this season - dragged ABC out of the ratings cellar and pushed it into the bright light of a new day.

Set in a "Stepford"-ian suburb (actually, the Universal Studios backlot) whose glossy exterior masks a boiling pot of deception, betrayal and lust (well, you knew it would), "Desperate Housewives" stars Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman and Eva Longoria as wives (or, in Hatcher's case, ex-wife) who bonded over the mysterious suicide of a friend and neighbor (Brenda Strong, who does posthumous voice-over narration).

In his status as Hollywood's fresh "It-boy," Cherry now drives a brand-new Lexus with a license plate that reads DSP HSWV, and he's trying to be magnanimous about it all. It's one of many subjects he discussed with assembled reporters at the biannual Television Critics Association press tour in Los Angeles in January.

"Vindication," he says. "Felicity and I talked about this one time. We were talking about how you kind of go through your career, and people are not answering the phone, and even they might say hurtful things to your agent. Then when success comes along, you have that choice, do I just smile, and I'm gracious, or do I go, 'Yeah, you mother ...'

"And I'm trying my darndest to just be gracious about the whole thing. But yes, there is some semblance of, 'I told you,' and there is a part of me going, 'I hope some of those folks are feeling sorry that they picked on poor Marc Cherry.'" Back when the show premiered, Cherry gave his mother credit for being his inspiration. Apparently the two were sitting one day in her Orange County, Calif., home when something came on television about the trial of Andrea Yates -- a Texas woman convicted in 2002 of drowning her five children in a bathtub (incidentally, a Texas appeals court reversed the capital-murder conviction in early 2005).

Speaking to reporters in the summer of 2004, Cherry recalled, "I turned to her, and I said, 'Gosh, can you imagine a woman being so desperate that she would hurt her own children?' And my mother took her cigarette out of her mouth, turned to me and said, 'I've been there.' And I remember saying, 'What?'

"You must understand that I always thought of my mom as the perfect wife and mother, a woman who, I felt, had aspired to nothing more than being a wife and mother." At that point, Cherry recalled, Martha Cherry told her son about her own moments of desperation, left alone on the farm while her husband was pursuing a degree at the University of Oklahoma.

"I was astounded," he said, "Suddenly it occurred to me, 'Well, gosh, if my mom has had these moments, every woman has had a moment where she's close to losing it.' So truly as I started talking to her and fining out these things, the genesis of the idea was born in that." Now that it's 2005 and the show is a whopping hit, Cherry is asked if his mother wants any credit.

"Yeah," he says, "she wants a piece of the back end, and that's not going to happen. When the lawyers start calling, she goes into a home, so let's be clear on that. She's thrilled. All she ever wanted was for me to be happy."

Lots of people in Cherry's position, when that longed-for opportunity finally strikes, would absolutely roll over on anything to make sure it pans out. Or maybe, they just think they would.

"I had a meeting," Cherry recalls, "with an executive early on in the development of this where he said he felt I should change the title to, 'The Secret Lives of Housewives.' And I remember saying to him -- I had said to him how collaborative he would find me to work with -- then he said that, and I went, 'I'll quit if you make me change the title.'"

If there's a moral in all this, whether in Hollywood terms or in real life, it may be something as humdrum as persistence pays off, or as radio and TV talk-show host Larry Elder says, "'Luck' is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." Of course, even the best-prepared writer may find himself running out of gas when the rubber hits the road, and unlike movies, television is in this for the long haul.

"The sad surprise," Cherry says, "has been the things I thought would take a whole season to reveal, I revealed by episode six. This machine just keeps eating up what little creativity I have. I think when I first talked to [new ABC entertainment chief Steve McPherson] about, 'Oh, I've got ideas into season three,' sadly, he doesn't know that just aired last night."

Newhart joins 'Desperate Housewives'

By Associated Press

16529176.jpg

NEW YORK - Now look who's moving onto Wisteria Lane. Bob Newhart will begin a multi-episode stint on ABC's "Desperate Housewives" set to air in April. The 75-year-old actor-comedian will play Morty, the estranged boyfriend of Susan Mayer's mom, Sophie, played by guest star Lesley Ann Warren.

"I'm looking forward to being involved with one of the hottest shows on TV," Newhart said in a statement Wednesday.

In the episode, Teri Hatcher's single mom Susan will attempt to get Sophie and Morty back together to keep her mother from moving in with her and her daughter.

"Desperate Housewives" airs Sundays (9 p.m. EST).

Guest ranster627

DEAD & DESPERATE

BY GREG DAVID

Brenda Strong gives voice to Mary Alice, the dead housewife

brendastrong_desperatehousewives_240.jpg

She may play a dead woman, but actress Brenda Strong is full of life

• 2 weeks later...

Desperate Housewives snub Britney

Britney Spears has been snubbed by the makers of Desperate Housewives. The blonde singer had reportedly been begging producers for a cameo role in the hit show for months.

But the 23-year-old star was turned down by show bosses who say guest appearances would ruin the series' appeal.

James Denton - who plays Teri Hatcher's hunky plumber boyfriend Mike Delfino - said a galaxy of stars had put their names forward for a part. He said: "Everyone in town wants to be a guest star. "Britney is my favourite. Her people have been trying to get her on the show but I can promise you that will never happen."

Earlier this month, Britney's acting ambitions were tarnished by news she was being sued for $30-million after allegedly stealing the idea for her debut movie Crossroads. Christopher Merrill says the pop babe, along with Paramount Pictures and MTV - who produced the movie and are also being sued - copied the script he wrote, called Dream Alive, which was submitted long before Crossroads.

His lawyer says there's no doubt the script was copied, saying: "There's no question that they took his material." Britney was universally panned by critics for the box office flop, in which she played lead role. - Bang

Guest ranster627
Bravo for maintaining the integrity of the series! When the gimmicks start, the series fails!
mmmhmmm! Dont know that Britney is someone I could see on Desperate Housewives. :roll:

I agree! I am waiting for Charo or Ru Paul ;)

'Housewives' adds desperately klutzy mom

By William Keck, USA TODAY

Teri Hatcher and Lesley Ann Warren are running errands during one of their rare hours away from the set of Desperate Housewives. They call in from their cell phones to promote Warren's Sunday night (9 ET/PT) debut as Sophie Bremmer, the klutzy mother to Hatcher's equally clumsy Susan.

And if the actresses are at all like their accident-prone characters, it's a good thing they've both pulled over to the side of the road. Viewers will learn that Susan, who got locked out of her house naked, fell through a floor, tripped over a bush and accidentally burned down a neighbor's house, inherited her mom's misfortune. "All hell breaks loose," Warren teases. "We're not kidding," Hatcher says, laughing. "People are maimed, cars are damaged, buildings are destroyed."

Warren's casting is "absolutely brilliant," says James Denton, whose character, Mike the plumber, is maimed by Sophie in her introductory scene. "Lesley Ann looked at some episodes, came in - and basically is Susan. Though I kid her that she's way too young to be playing Teri's mom."

That was precisely the concern Warren, 58, had when approached to play parent to Hatcher, 40. "I wanted to run screaming out of the room," admits Warren, still beloved by fans - including Hatcher - for her 1965 debut as Cinderella in a TV musical production.

Then came the news that Sophie's boyfriend, pancake-house owner Morty, was to be played by TV icon Bob Newhart, 75. "It did require an adjustment in my thinking," Warren says. "But then I thought about Angelina Jolie playing Colin Farrell's mother (in Alexander), and she's only one year older than him."

Warren was reassured by Housewives creator Marc Cherry that Sophie would be portrayed as girlish and flirtatious. "She's more like my sister, dragging me out to bars," says Hatcher. She describes their buddy relationship as similar to the one Susan shares with her teenage daughter, Julie.

Both women have come to discover parts of themselves in the other. Warren remembers relating to Hatcher's humble Golden Globes acceptance speech last January, in which Hatcher fessed up to being a reformed has-been. And their shared backgrounds in dance find the women posing identically during scenes.

Says Hatcher, "It's almost scary how much we are the same person."

Warren's fitting in so well that she may be tapped to return for Season 2, which is happy news for Hatcher: "As far as I'm concerned, she's welcome every single day."

Ladies of the Lane Launch New Charity

By WENDY URQUHART

LOS ANGELES - The ladies of Wysteria Lane left the kids, the hunks and the neighborhood to launch a new charity, "Clothes Off Our Covers."

One of the items to be auctioned is the Versace dress Teri Hatcher wore on her cover shoot for InStyle magazine, which hits newsstands in May. But it was a spill-all article in the current "Vanity Fair," claiming the ladies are more hysteria than Wysteria, that dominated talk on the red carpet.

Hatcher told Associated Press Television News that she doesn't court bad publicity. "I don't really think about it, because I know who I am," she said at Tuesday night's event. "And I'm a good person, and that is what it is, and if somebody wants to say something else they can, but I look at myself in the mirror every morning and I'm all right."

James Denton, Hatcher's on-and-off love interest on the show, says the atmosphere on the set is very much like family, and although they may get on each others nerves at times, it's nothing serious. "Maybe you've been around each other too long, and somebody might snap at somebody, or somebody might say something the wrong way," he said. "But you know, everybody is so grateful to be there, and I've never heard anybody have a cross word

Guest ranster627

It just occurred to me how smart the execs have gotten by using Sheridan as a buffer ... she stays billed as a co-star, but conveniently appears in the middle of the pics!

Nice and neat solution IMHO!

Guest czubryt1

I know many of you guys espically in other forms Think The Desperate Housewives Of The hit show are in the May 2005 Edition of Playboy. This however is not true.

Playboy's Housewives are just Wives of some popular Men that appeared in Playboy. I have the issue and I just want to set all rumors to rest!

• 2 weeks later...

'Desperate' to know more? Read on...

By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There's a lot we're not privy to regarding the mystery at the core of "Desperate Housewives," but here are a few tidbits to tide you over until the show's writers come through with more revelations:

• Edie (Nicollette Sheridan) has a son. "Edie's son lives with his father, so he will be a very interesting character once you see him," series creator Marc Cherry promises.

Heather Locklear was considered for the show. Consulting producer Charles Pratt Jr., who worked with Locklear on "Melrose Place," envisioned her as Susan, the role that went to Teri Hatcher. Cherry wanted to cast her as Bree, the role that went to fellow "Melrose" alum Marcia Cross. "I thought that would have been an interesting way for her to reinvent herself," Cherry said. But Locklear signed a deal with NBC to star in the now-canceled "LAX," and she was never approached about a role on "Housewives."

Despite published reports that had Pamela Anderson (Fox's "Stacked") claiming she turned down the role of Susan on "Housewives," Cherry emphatically says she was never considered for the part.

The show has a nipple problem. "Sometimes, with the outfits worn, you see more than you should," Cherry said. "Certain actresses really don't like to wear bras, and we try to accommodate them as much as humanly possible. ... There's been a lot of blurring [out of nipples] going on."

An S&M scene was censored. Cherry blames his own twisted sense of humor for calling down the wrath of ABC's standards and practices department over an episode featuring Rex Van De Kamp (Steven Culp) visiting the neighborhood prostitute (Sharon Lawrence) for an S&M session. "She started the scene picking up various items, and I put a couple of nonsensical things in there," Cherry said, "things that didn't make any sense because they were bizarre." One object: A dentist's tool. ABC objected. "I said, 'You don't know what it is, it doesn't mean anything,' " Cherry recounted. Ultimately, he agreed to tone it down. TiVo users are desperate to see "Housewives." The show frequently tops the TiVo ratings, the shows watched (or recorded) most by subscribers to that DVR service. The week of April 10, 32.4 percent of TiVo users watched the show, making it the No. 1 prime-time series for the week. Fame isn't always about a pretty face. Actress Brenda Strong, who's appeared in just a few episodes but narrates them all as the deceased Mary Alice Young, gets recognized for her voice. "When I get a coffee or a tea in public, I'll ... order my drink and all of a sudden, heads start turning, and I can hear the whispering," she said in January.

The stars like their surroundings. Actress Felicity Huffman, who plays housewife Lynette Scavo, said being on the Wisteria Lane set on the back lot at Universal Studios is similar to the experience of watching the show. "It feels very real and hyper-real at the same time. You kind of walk down the street and go, 'I wish my wisterias could look like that,' and they don't because they're plastic."

The show has a nipple problem. "Sometimes, with the outfits worn, you see more than you should," Cherry said. "Certain actresses really don't like to wear bras, and we try to accommodate them as much as humanly possible. ... There's been a lot of blurring [out of nipples] going on."

:rofl I wanna know whose nipples they have to keep blurring out!!! :lol:

Open house on Wisteria Lane

By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

20050501tv_desperate2_230.jpg

Welcome to the neighborhood of the ABC hit 'Desperate Housewives,' where nothing is as it seems -- except for homes designed to reflect each character's eccentricities

Cue the voice of narrator Mary Alice Young: "Sometimes there are television shows that capture our imagination, programs that give new hope to viewers desperate to be entertained. Sometimes the casts of these shows don't get along as well as the best friends they portray. Vanity Fair revelations aside, our enthusiasm hasn't been dampened for the secrets that will soon be revealed on ABC's 'Desperate Housewives.' Perhaps the best way to prepare for those long-promised end-of-season surprises is with a visit to Wisteria Lane."

How do you get to the heart of Wisteria Lane, setting for ABC's "Desperate Housewives"? Taken as a philosophical question, the answer would probably be to travel to any suburban community, plant microphones in the hedgerows and eavesdrop on as many conversations as possible.

The literal answer: Take a left on Steven Spielberg Place on the back lot of Universal Studios. Then turn left at the corner and suddenly you're in the television neighborhood of the moment, home to the exterior sets of broadcast television's No. 1 new show of the 2004-05 TV season, and the No. 4 series in all of prime time behind only the original "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and both weekly installments of "American Idol."

The second house on the left, 4349 Wisteria Lane, is home to Gabrielle (Eva Longoria) and Carlos (Ricardo Antonio Chavira) Solis. Across the street is the home of the late Mary Alice Young (Brenda Strong), the show's unseen narrator who committed suicide in the "Housewives" pilot, setting up the mystery -- Why did she do it? What was she hiding? -- that consumes her fictional neighbors and viewers alike.

It's not just the unexpected mix of comedy, drama and mystery that sets "Desperate Housewives" apart. There's something not entirely real about Wisteria Lane. The back-lot house facades are a hodge-podge of styles: Victorian, colonial, bungalow, ranch. "It's more like a Whitman's Sampler of architectural Americana," said "Housewives" production designer Thomas A. Walsh. "It doesn't exist in nature. You don't find that many different types of houses co-existing."

Co-executive producer Kevin Murphy ("Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical") said it doesn't look like a real street. "It looks a little heightened, a little stylized. That's crucial for the look of our show."

Walsh and his team made efforts to make the homes fit together better. Alterations were made to Gabrielle's home to make it less Victorian. Down the block, foliage strategically obscures Lynette's post-World War II ranch house.

Across the street and inside the home of Mike Delfino (James Denton), a November copy of the Star tabloid with a headline about the show and a promise to reveal "Who hates who" sat on the coffee table in late January, months before publication of the May issue of Vanity Fair that portrays the show's stars as divas itching for a cat fight.

Maybe they can't help it; Wisteria Lane sits atop a landfill in the shadow of the "Psycho" house.

Production designer Walsh, whose previous TV work includes last season's "Threat Matrix," the pilot of the critically acclaimed Pittsburgh-set drama "My So-Called Life" and the TV movie "Growing Up Brady," explained that most TV shows will film only exterior shots on a back-lot street like this. As soon as an actor walks through the front door of a facade, the director yells "cut" and the scene picks up on an interior set constructed on a soundstage.

But that's not how it works on "Desperate Housewives." Once producers settled on filming on a studio lot rather than on location -- Walsh had suggested buying a whole street of homes and reselling them if the series tanked -- working first-floor interiors were added to several of the facades. Rather than building the kitchen, living room and stairway on a soundstage, those rooms were constructed behind the front wall of the facade. "With the exception of the house for Mary Alice, these were in essence shells with no functioning interiors," Walsh said. "Most were treated more like scenery as opposed to real homes. Most didn't have a back and were open to the weather."

Team "Desperate" went about adding interiors to several of the homes, repairing or replacing roofs and leveling out the interior floors. By having the exteriors and interiors adjoining, the action in any given scene can carry from outside to inside without as many cuts. "It's so effective," Walsh said. "In 'Rear Window,' you've got the guy trapped in a room watching the whole world go by. We have a similar relationship, only we get it in a studio environment. On a story-telling level, it has been an enormous plus for us in terms of controlling the action."

Control would have been lost if the show was filmed in an actual lived-in subdivision, something producers considered. "Can you imagine being in a neighborhood, and it's like, 'Oh, those damned 'Desperate Housewives' are coming to our street again?' " said series creator Marc Cherry. "With the amount of attention this series has gotten, we would have totally laid waste to any good will we would have engendered in any particular neighborhood."

Walsh said Cherry wrote detailed short stories for each character to give the show's assorted departments an idea of who the characters are and where they come from (their values, politics, religions). Those details helped inform the design of each home and the look of the wardrobe for each character. "Gabrielle and Carlos represent the nouveau riche aspect of this community," Walsh said. "It has only one kind of rule: You have to be part of the greater homogeneous WASP culture. You can be any ethnic origin you please as long as you embrace that as your mantra."

As production designer, Walsh is charged with the visual interpretation of the script, or, Walsh said, as an old Hollywood joke goes, "anything behind the actors and out of focus."

For Gabrielle's house, that meant reflecting the character's narcissism. "It's sort of a temple dedicated to the self and extravagance and affairs and material things and religion," Walsh said. "For someone who's a runaway Catholic and anti-having children, there's a Madonna and child and other religious iconography everywhere. As people who have the ability to buy without regard to cost, they collect things. It's stuff to them."

In season two, Gabrielle will gain a kitchen, but not for cooking. "There's a wonderful irony that this is a woman who never cooks or knows how, but she'll have the perfect kitchen," Walsh said. "And it will always be clean, because no one uses it."

For the home of Bree Van De Kamp [Marcia Cross], Walsh and his team decided not to make it quite as perfectly cheerful as you'd expect from a Martha Stewart wannabe. "One of the demons in her life is trying to be perfect, but because of the decline in her marriage over time, we purposely went to a more desaturated palette to reinforce the emotional loss," Walsh said. "There's not a lot of depth or soul or color to it."

He described the overall visual look of "Desperate Housewives" as "a postcard to American suburban reality, or some variation on that idea. "We are in essence paying tribute to the past by looking at it as it's reflected in current trends," Walsh said. "There's a lot of iconography we try to hold onto. We joked in the beginning that all the appliances should be Sears-Kenmore. There's nothing really trendy about our show. We revel in trying not to be trendy, whether it's cars, consumer products or appliances. We stick to typical American core values and traditions and aesthetics."

Narrator Mary Alice Young returns: "Values and traditions, they're elements of Americana that linger on, whether it's the toaster in our kitchen, the antique vase in the living room or the show on our TV set. That show may be a new hit, but it could be a success, in part, because it looks so comfortingly familiar -- familiar to children, husbands and even desperate housewives."

Little Mo May Be Off To Wisteria Lane

In EastEnders she's spent eight months in prison, been a battered wife and chose to have her rapist's baby.

But, at last, things are looking up for actress Kacey Ainsworth. She could be set to ditch miserable old Albert Square - for the ultra glam surroundings of Wisteria Lane.

Kacey - who plays downtrodden Little Mo in the soap - has reportedly been offered a role in the hit US show Desperate Housewives.

The Sun reports the news was the talk of the weekend's British Soap Awards.

She is currently renegotiating her EastEnders deal - but is also in talks to appear in the second series of the Channel 4 show as a nanny to one of Wisteria Lane's sexy leading ladies.

Kacey is due to meet DH creator Marc Cherry in London later this month to discuss her role.

Guest Anonymous

OMG...I can't believe it! I watched East Enders when I was in the UK and she'd be the last person I would think would be offered a job on DH.

Now, I like the actress Kacey Ainsworth, she was incredible as Mo on EE, won an award for her acting in fact, but what a strange mix! Good for her if it pans out.

N.J. spawns a pair of cutting-edge TV guys

Source - northjersey.com

The two hottest new series of the season - "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" - have more in common than just stunning success and the fact that they both air on ABC: New Jersey guys have had a big hand in making these serialized dramas what they are.

Teaneck native Damon Lindelof, 32, is a co-creator and executive producer of "Lost," which fulfills a dream he'd had of working with producer J.J. Abrams. And Kevin Murphy, 37, of Tabernacle - a Drew University graduate whose "Reefer Madness" movie musical recently bowed on Showtime - is a writer and co-executive producer of "Desperate Housewives," whose deliciously convoluted plot lines keep even his own mother guessing.

As the first-season finales of their hit shows approach, Lindelof and Murphy chatted with a home-state TV writer about their thriving shows - and careers.

With 'Lost,' Damon Lindelof finds an audience DAMON LINDELOF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Job: co-creator and executive producer of "Lost."

Grew up in: Teaneck.

Series credits: "Nash Bridges," "Crossing Jordan."

"What was cool about growing up in New Jersey, especially Bergen County, is it was very diverse. ... I literally went to high school with people of all different races and ethnicities and backgrounds. That broadened my horizons as a writer. It made me interested in other people's stories."

Everyone who previewed the "Lost" pilot knew that it was good. What wasn't clear - not even to co-creator Damon Lindelof - was how broad the audience would be for a show about a group of plane-crash survivors on a strange island.

But here we are, nearly eight months after the show's debut and just a few episodes from the two-hour season finale, and millions of "Lost" fans are addicted. "I thought it would be more a cult show than a big hit," Lindelof says. "I'm in awe of how many people like the show. We set out to write what we thought was cool and weird and funny and scary - all the things you're not supposed to do on network television. For years, [it was assumed that] the audience is not intelligent enough to track a complex narrative. But audiences are very savvy." He adds, "There's something about the show that people really relate to. I don't know what it is, which is good. If I did, I would pander to it."

Lindelof is on the phone from California. ("Lost" films in Hawaii, but a fellow executive producer is the one usually there to oversee the production.)

How the 32-year-old Teaneck native got to where he is - little more than a decade after graduating from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts with a degree in film - is an amazing story of talent, luck and pluck. "As soon as I graduated Tisch in '94, I hopped in my car and drove out to L.A.," Lindelof says. "I didn't know anybody here. I came with my college roommate."

He worked at a series of internships and industry jobs, all the while writing his own stuff on the side. "I never thought anything was good enough to share with anyone else," Lindelof says. "I was just practicing."

Eventually, he decided that the pace of moviemaking was too slow. A friend was producing a television show called "Wasteland" ("If you blinked, you missed it," he says) and he got a job as a writer's assistant. "That was my break," says Lindelof, who was promoted to writer and penned several "Wasteland" installments before it was canceled after 13 episodes in 1999.

From that, he got agents and a writing job on the final season of "Nash Bridges," then moved on to "Crossing Jordan" for that show's first three seasons.

Then came "Lost."

The project began as a sketchy concept formulated by Lloyd Braun, then-ABC Entertainment Television Group chairman. "He wanted to do a TV show about a plane that crashed on an island. That's all he had," says Lindelof.

Braun took the idea to "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams, who was not bowled over. "He said, 'I don't know what that TV show is.' He didn't have a lot of time. And he said, 'If you guys bring me a writer I can work with [maybe], but ... I think the appeal is limited.'

TV Tidbits: Notes of Interest

In celebration of ABC's Desperate Housewives, cable network WE will air a live post-show special, Live on Wisteria Lane, immediately following the season-finale on Sunday, May 22 at 10 p.m. ET. WE will also feature Access Hollywood's behind-the-scenes special, Secrets From Wisteria Lane, on Sunday May 15 at 10 p.m. ET, and a day-long movie festival, Before They Were Desperate, with movies starring Teri Hatcher (Dead in the Water), Marcia Cross (Always Say Goodbye), Felicity Huffman (A Slight Case of Murder), and Nicolette Sheridan (Somebody's Daughter) on Sunday, May 22 beginning at 10 a.m. ET.

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name