Trading Spaces

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

Well, I watched Trading Spaces WITHOUT Paige Davis last night, with what appears to be a back to basics format and no host.

I have been a fan of the show since the beginning and hate to love and love to hate many designers ... but I am afraid I have to now abandon it. I fell asleep at times with this slow moving, too happy show. And what about the reveal??? They let themselves into their rooms???

I was uncomfortable from start to finish ... and worse, I was bored. I may be in the minority here, but I like having a host guide me through things, summarize where we are, and ask the questions I would ask. It is neater and less work for me, I just get to enjoy the show.

Hosts can be polarizing, I agree, but any host would have been better than none at all. To say there was something missing is an understatement ... I felt empty! I confess to being a Paige fan, but I also liked Alex from Season 1, so it is not the identity of the host for me, it is the need for one!

I guess I have to say good-bye to an old friend, Trading Spaces, you were great in your day!

Ranster -

I did the Moving Up / Trading Spaces thing last nite too.

On TS .... I think it's going to be a lot of work for the editing dept. to try and keep what these people are saying interesting.

(and we all know there's someone who is leading them into what is said and done anyway.... why not have them on camera :roll: )

Did you watch Moving Up (I usually catch re-runs of this one)

Ewwwww :!: :!:

Guest ranster627

yup, I do the triple bill ... add Town Haul to the list!

I actually like Moving Up and think Doug is far less obnoxious on it!

My.... 'Ewwwww', was for the house with the dead squirrels, magots, termites and rodent infestations - where the one girl had to gut the house before she could even start :evil:

... and Doug is a little bit better on this show (not much, but a little bit) :wink:

Well, I have to admit that I enjoy watching Trading Spaces as well. Or, at least I used to until last night. I mostly ever watched for the reveals as I like being able to see the whole before/after aspect of the rooms done. But I did enjoy Paige Davis as the host and I don't care for the new hostless format at all. I'm afraid last night was my last time viewing the show.

Of course, I may be biased in that I kind of had the hots for Paige... :roll:

Neb... dosen't look like it.

Sorry :(

I'm thinking the Trading Spaces 'SUITS' are trying to flood the viewing public with tooooo many changes in too short of a time. They should have doled these new shows and changes out a little slower.

They had a good thing going.... and are screwing it up like Who Wants to Be a Millionare did - with over-exposure.

Guest ranster627

I agree that too many changes too fast don't work ... just means it isn't the same show. Too many gimmicks were already creeping in which was a sure sign to me the show was in a state of confusion. Although I was outraged about Paige's firing, I am over it, I just want a host --- ANY host!

Trading Spaces Family will always need a host in my opinion to appeal to the bubblegum set ... besides someone has to babysit, although I too find Joe annoying, apparently he has quite the "kiddie" following.

The absolute worst host to me was on In A Fix ... he was smarmy and screamed all the time. Sad really, because I loved the rest of the cast and the concept! Just to be rid of that obnoxious host, I am glad it has been cancelled and will only run in reruns!

Guest ranster627
does this mean they are getting rid of that annoying joe from TS Family too?

I read that TS Family was canceled along with In A Fix and Clean Sweep

Wow ... seems the network really is retooling ... big mistake I think ...

Guest ranster627

I agree Neb ... I don't always like them, but they are well done and so many details are considered. I like the way she balances the wishes and the need to be true to her design vision.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw that show. I couldn't believe they even let them consider doing the kitchen, because it was obvious that is suited them so well. The kitchen is the heart of the house, and functionality is important. I think that was a big issue with that couple. They didn't think they could use the kitchen the way they were accustomed to.

They had a good attitude though -- they still said they had a great time, and would be on TS again. Who knows what they said when the cameras were off though!

I used to watch this show religiously, but haven't for quite a while. This was my first Paigeless episode. It was ok -- I have to admit -- I love it when they hate the room. And I have more respect for the people who will say they don't like it, rather than the ones who grit their teeth, and smile, while it's obvious they can't stand it.

Guest ranster627

after Ty it took it a while to get back in the groove ... for me, the mistake was firing Paige ... (or any host) ... I miss that element ...

I'm not sure if they fired Paige, or is she left for bigger and better things. I thought I had heard she was dancing in a show somewhere.

I'm sure Trading Spaces was a fun gig, and helped pay the bills, but I'm sure her dream was to be a dancer or performer of some kind. Not a TV show host.

• 2 years later...

I'm glad they finally brought this back but I miss the old gang. So far, all new carpenters. None of them stand out like the old Ty, Carter, Faber, etc. I miss my Amy Wynn!

Also, only Designer Frank Bielec has returned. I miss my Edward. I still miss Vern! Well, at least I still have Frank to make me smile.

The show has featured one new female designer, Lauren Makk, that appears to have a limited wardrobe. She wears the same outfit both days and it's always some short wrap type of dress that leaves nothing to the cleavage imagination along with her mega-long fake fingernails.