A VOTING question ???????

chatterbox

Is this really America VOTING for the best????

The last girl let go, so quickly I forget their names, said that her dad set up a phone bank at her home and had friends manning them during the two hours to make the maximum number of calls for her. Here on the boards, several have mentioned the number of times they vote and for who. You also can pay to have votes cast for a contestant, so I have heard.

Is this really who is best, as America thinks, or just who is willing to spend the most time and money to get their person in the finals?

(Boy, this smells political somehow, LOL!)

Guest ranster627
Maybe they need to change the way the voting is done.Have America vote  for they want to LEAVE that week.This would cut down on people voting numerous times for the one they want to stay.

That would be cool ...

I still say they should show the actual results for each of them each week! I don't trust the process!

It puts me in mind of people who have the most money and can afford the slick lawyers - - having a better chance of winning their cases in court.

It would help a little bit if they could somehow block the multiple voting internet sites that do your voting for you.

....click... please place 100 votes for Bo - - 100 votes for Carrie - - 75 votes for Anwar, etc., etc..... click

If everyone had to sit and make individual phone calls one after another - it would make it a 'little bit' fairer :?

Guest ranster627

I agree with all of that ... too bad there is no way to just enforce the one vote per phone thing ... then again, seems to me that they have made a real game out of this block voting thing!

Ranster.... that thought crossed my mind too....

But - guess it wouldn't be fair if hubby liked one singer, wifey another, teenage daughter another..... and so on.

Oh well .... if they've really got what it takes - - some recording company or agent will pick them up anyway 8)

Guest Anonymous

I think that the major problems is not who we're voting for -- whether it be who we want to stay or who we want to leave. But more, I think its exactly as Slowpoke said. There are too many ways to vote. Text votes, phone votes, internet votes. This is really a lack-a-daisy way of doing things and there is absolutely no way the numbers aren't skewed one way or the other. If they stuck to one means of voting though -- it would mean they wouldn't be able to announce "3.1 million votes!!" Thats simply a sales pitch by the way -- to keep the ratings high.

The second problem that makes me sincerely doubt the reality of the votes is the unwillingness to make the numbers public. If it smells like rain, feels like rain, and looks like rain -- better carry an umbrella. This unwillingness to be public with the results looks like they're hiding something, stinks of a conspiracy, and feels like they've already chosen the winner and will let us all know once they've skewed the results after every show to eliminate the remaining constestants.

Guest Taloola

This is a great post. I can't agree more with what everyone is saying. I don't vote anymore. I've found that I don't trust the voting system for this show.

Suds, you said something that a lot of people have said before. One vote without the multiple voting.

Even if they showed the voting I tend to wonder if it would be true. I admit I'm pessamistic when it comes to the voting done on this show. Do we really know if our votes have gone thru? And if so, what evidence do we have to know that for sure.

I really don't think there is a clear answer for this as Fox will run the show as they want it to be done. We watch and give them the ratings. It doesn't really matter after that.

Guest ranster627
I would love a show that shows "the inner workings" of American Idol ... like what does the accounting firm actually do, how is a vote processed ... why are all votes not revealed???? These answers may restore the credibility of the show and the process!

Ranster, I don't think we would ever get the truth. That's the whole problem with the voting. I just don't believe we, the public, would actually be told what IS really going on.

I have to laugh at myself because I just don't trust it. Hey, for what it's worth....I watch for my own enjoyment.

I can't disagree ... seems these days you can't even trust the news, 60 Minutes, or even the New York Times!

Oh, I think quite a few understand you, taloola! That is why I was questioning this.

I had considered the multiple voting before but what really got me disliking the whole voting process was when the gal mentioned the phone bank at home.

I like the idea of cutting out the number of "ways" to vote. This would cause FOX two problems, though. One mentioned above being that they could not use the "x number of votes means X number of viewers". The second thing is the amount of money raised by the "various" methods of voting. Who wouldn't want a slice of it!!!

Guest Anonymous

Oh I am really in full agreement with that chatterbox! The concept for this whole show is rather weak though isn't it? You have 3 people making the decisions for the majority of the program -- it is completely in their ears and eyes.

And lets take a look at these three --

Simon : about as contrary an individual as you can find. His job is to give negative critiques to everything. When he does have something positive to say, its often so covered in sarcasm that you need a translator to make any sense of it.

Paula : the antithesis of Simon. Paula's job is to love everyone and everything. I sometimes wonder if she bothers to even listen to the contestants or just sits there and tries to find different ways of "That was great"

Randy : Randy's taste in music is very narrow. His job is to call everyone dawg and then jabber out statements that say nothing about nothing. When in doubt, Randy will always say it was "S'allright"

So hundreds of people apply and they do their thing in front of these three people -- who then decide on a nice compact number of them that the viewers then get to choose from. If you go in to audition at the wrong time -- Simon is angry because Paula is angry and Randy is too busy counting his fingers and toes to even be there -- you're out of the running.

So what the viewers actually get is a representation of what these three "experts?" consider idol worthy. Now the votes.

The song choices are most often assigned -- at least by theme. Thus none of the individual styles can be truly explored.

The songs are not sung in completion -- we're given a snapshot of a full performance.

The three "experts" thrill us with their personal rantings.

And then we "vote"

The results are never given out.

We're told who had the least votes. (again -- so they say as we never see the numbers)

And we go through this cycle until we're finally convinced that we must have a real star on stage because they've lasted this long.

Does any of this sound like the makings of a great performer?

Guest Taloola

Spooky, that was written better than anything I've heard said on the show itself. Either by producers or the three judges put together. Even the nice one in the middle who HAS to find something good to say.....all the time.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Thanks for such a response to this post. :D

As long as there are 'phone banks'... this will never be a fair competition.

There has GOT to be a better way of voting for these singers :!:

I've been looking at voice and Show-man-ship each week and given a lot of thought to my few votes.

I'll watch this AI til it's over... but, don't think I'll watch another one :cry:

I'm sure the average voter is discouraged if they''ve been sitting at their phone making one vote at a time. A lot of them have probably given up :roll:

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name