Saturday Night Live

Oyabungaijin

SNL always seems to have a realy great year or 2 and then has a crappy year or 2 and then back and forth.... I havent watched though since Will Ferrel left. I keep waiting for someone to grab my attention.

SNL always seems to have a realy great year or 2 and then has a crappy year or 2 and then back and forth....  I havent watched though since Will Ferrel left. I keep waiting for someone to grab my attention.

I only watched a few times too, also the guest hosts have been that great either, time to bring Steve Martin back, I guess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

eonlinesmlogo.jpgand Reuters100x26.jpg

Live! It's Tina Fey Back On 'Update'

bradjen.jpg

'Weekend Update' co-anchor Tina Fey

Live from Studio 8H, Tina Fey's back on "Weekend Update." Fey will be back behind the "Weekend Update" anchor desk this week after missing the first two shows of the season. The new mother and head "Saturday Night Live" writer is returning to her post Saturday, October 22, after taking a brief maternity leave following the birth of her daughter, Alice.

Alice was born September 10 and is the first child of Fey and her husband, Jeff Richmond. The couple have been married since 2001. "I had to get back to work . . . NBC has me under contract; the baby and I only have a verbal agreement," Fey joked in a statement recently.

All joking aside, the "Mean Girls" mastermind does indeed have a hefty contract with the Peacock network. Back in 2003, Fey signed a $4 million agreement with NBC that carries her through the current season. In addition to her "Weekend Update" co-anchor duties, Fey also serves as the show's head writer along with Andrew Steele.

feypoehler1.jpg

'Weekend Update's' Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Fey, 35, co-anchors the 'SNL' signature news parody segment with Amy Poehler and has been head writer at 'SNL' for five years. Fey and Poehler represent the first all-female team to read the fake news on the weekend staple. In Fey's absence, hefty funnyman Horatio Sanz has been filling her "Weekend Update" news anchor chair.

Meanwhile, trouble may be brewing for Fey's other project in the works--a sitcom about life backstage at a sketch comedy show much like "Saturday Night Live," to be produced by Lorne Michaels. Casting for the show has reportedly already begun, and the as-yet unnamed series was tentatively slated to premiere on NBC sometime after January.

However, according to trade reports, Aaron Sorkin recently sold a new drama series to the Peacock, also about life backstage at a sketch comedy show akin to 'SNL,' except based in Los Angeles. NBC is said to have paid in the neighborhood of $21 million for the series, titled "Studio 7 on the Sunset Strip," based on the first one-hour episode of the show.

tinafey_meangirls_240_001.jpg

Tina Fey in 'Mean Girls'

In an email to the New York Post, an NBC spokesperson said, "We're proceeding with the Tina Fey comedy and are excited about it." But it is unclear how the network plans to balance two shows based on a similar subject matter--that is, if it does plan to do so at all. Looks like Fey may need to put some of those "Mean Girl" skills to use.

Fey isn't the only performer missing in action at the start of this season. Fellow "Saturday Night Live" cast member, Maya Rudolph is currently on maternity leave. Fey's October 22 comeback episode will be hosted by Oscar winner Catherine Zeta-Jones, with the Scottish band Franz Ferdinand as the musical guest.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ASK MATT

Question: Have you watched Saturday Night Live at all this season? I am a fan of the show and usually TiVo it. While it does have a few bright spots (Tina and Amy's Weekend Update to name one), I would say that this season hasn't really been cutting it. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...