AI9: Top 5 Discussion

Fuskie

We started with over 100,000 and this evening, only 5 remain. We've got Lee, Casey, Aaron, Mike and Crystal. But who will rise to the top? The good news is they will have a superstar backing them up.

Harry Connick Jr: This is American Idol!

We are down to just 5 contestants and all of them want the title. it is an exciting time for them, for you and home and of course, our judges: Randy, Ellen, Kara and Simon.

Last week he had to say goodbye to Siobhan but it is a wake-up call for you to vote for your favorite among the top 5. Bring 'em out!

Tonight we have a classic theme paired with a classic act. Roll it, guys. We view Harry Connick Jr video, who will be helping the idols this week interpret the songs of the great Frank Sinatra. Connick also offered to arrange the scores for each of the contestants.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Harry Connick Jr and members of his band, who Connick will also be joining to back up the performances.

Also in the audience are Sinatra's 2 daughters, who brought a gift for Simon, a monogrammed handkerchief .

Coming up live, Aaron Kelly hits the stage first, singing Fly Me To The Moon. Harry said Aaron has such a sweet voice. Ballads are right in Aaron's wheelhouse but it doesn't matter if you put him in a vest and dress him up with a shirt and tie, he is not Sinatra and rather than reinvesting this song, it sounded like a rat pack remix. It was sung OK, especially from the middle to the end, but probably not the result he wanted. Randy said he wants to know who is in it to win it, who has the fire, he did a really good job, nice one. Ellen said the piano was a little pitchy (Connick) but he cannot believe he did not hear any country at all, beautiful vocals, beautiful. Kara thought it was good but not as strong as last week, he will be here again but needs to learn a little more charisma, fill up the stage more, Sinatra was just as tall as him but he filled up the stage, this is constructive criticism, not negative. Simon is with Kara, if Sinatra was a lion, he was just a mouse, but people like him after he performs; he does try hard and he has to give him that.

Next up is Casey James performs Blue Skies. Harry said with Casey it wasn't about the lyrics but the groove of the music. Singing soft and sensually, his stage presence seemed a bit stiff and his vocals just a little bit off, like the arrangement was dragging. His power vocals were on target though and he showed a little personality there at the end. Randy said this was like for him, his worst performance, pitchy all the way to the last note, he was kind of out of his element, this was going to be tough, all about intricate melodies and singing with the band but it didn't work. Ellen said it was a bad idea to have the piano on stage; the whole thing is about being smooth and having swagger but it was stiff, he wasn't cool and moving around, it wasn't effortless. Kara said it took him a long time to warm up and he had it by the end more, and he did hold some notes but he kind of sounded like a lamb, there was a little vibrato, a little out of control. Simon said this is really uncomfortable, the good news is the band was great, the bad news he wasn't fantastic, he looked a bit embarrassed and awkward, not comfortable.

Crystal takes the stage next, singing Summer Wind for your votes. Harry said her interpretation was about something, although about what was a mystery which allows the audience to draw their own personal connection. Soft and demur, she looked elegant in her black lace gown (although the tattoo on her back kind of broke up the look), the vocal was OK but not inspiring. It really left me not caring why she was singing the song. Randy said it was a great arrangement, one of her subdued performance, OK but a little sleepy. Ellen said at first it felt she was swallowing every word but then she started really singing, but she needed to loosen up a little more; she has so many different sides to her, she is really impressive. Kara said it was out of her element but she really liked it, she liked her phrasing, she showed she could hold her own in that department. Simon said loved the song but thought the chose for her was a little indulgent, the first half a little too jazzy, night club, but the second have a little better but it was not her strongest performance; now she has to be in it to win it, no more singing for herself anymore.

Michael Lynche dances onto the stage with The Way You Look Tonight. Harry said he should be direct with the song, not mess too much with the melody, just find the fleeting moment of truth. Strolling on stage like acting in a musical, I was expecting a smooth, fluid love song and instead was treated to a stage show leaving me once again wondering why all these interpretations come off like attempts to relive a bygone era. The vocal was strong but just didn't seem connected to me, although he hit the note at the end. Randy said it was an unbelievable arrangement by Harry and an unbelievable vocal by Michael, he sang it interestingly and sang it well, threw down the gauntlet, eyes on Mike. Ellen said he seemed to have the most comfort on stage, moving easier than everyone else, looked the part, sounded the part, very smooth, lots of charisma, very good. Kara said he found the drama in the song, up, down, took us on the journey without losing himself, she could say that's Big Mike. Simon said it has been a tricky night, he just made the first three performances look just OK, everything clicked, everything worked, fantastic, well done.

Last to perform is Lee DeWyze, singing That's Life. Harry says he is like a new and improved version of himself, but he needs to pay attention to the lyrics to make the audience understand. Singing to an organ accompaniment, he is playing the role of a man at a bar rolling with the punches. This was the kind of performance I was looking for tonight, a new take on a classic standard. Perfect vocal, memorable performance, terrible choice of shoes. Randy said another great arrangement, but he stayed his rocker self, could hear the guitar, he loved it. Ellen said she was distracted by Harry's organ at first, it was different from the piano, if this was the last night of performances, he would have just won the whole thing. Kara said he needs the confidence to win this thing because he has the performance. Simon said Harry has been incredible with all the contestants, very generous, and what he did with Lee is help him bring out his personality, confidence, no longer a shy paint salesman, he gave 110% and it was by far the best performance of the night.

Fuskie

Whose top performances were Lee, Aaron & Mike...

Last night, the swinging sounds of Frank Sinatra and the jealous rants of Harry Connick Jr. Last night the idol contestants performed. Last night, the they were judged. Last night, you voted. Tonight, your results. Who is it going to be? The nation has spoken. This is American Idol!

Good evening, welcome everybody, happy Cinco De Mayo, ladies and gentlemen. Last night your efforts produced over 32 million votes. Tonight we reveal what you decided. Plus Lady GaGa his here tonight. Plus, this week's mentor Harry Connick Jr takes the stage. Say hello to your judges: Randy Jackson, Ellen DeGeneres, Kara DioGuardi, and of course, Simon Cowell.

And now its the Top 5 Group Song. The men sing Lady Is a Tramp, and out comes Crystal. Then there are more Sinatra standards and I turned my attention to the Braves who took a 5-4 lead over the Nationals on the other TV. Actually, this was not the worst Group Song performance I have had to endure, which is about the highest praise you will ever hear me heap on the Group Song.

Next week the Top 4 are heading to the cinema with songs from the movies under the guidance of Jamie Foxx.

But tonight we have to say goodbye to one of these sharply dressed contestants. But now, are you ready, for the world premier. Of this week's Ford Music Video (commercial).

We all know that Wednesdays are the toughest days on the Idol set, but Tuesdays are the most hectic as we roll video on what the idols did before American Idol on Tuesday and what they do now, from kissing family goodbye, to coming onto set, costume and makeup, dress rehearsal, and then the live show and performance. Roll Clip.

Tuesdays are good, but it is Wednesdays that Big Mike will dread forever.

Big Mike says he slept well last night, says he doesn't think about Wednesday until he sits on the seats. Crystal says she feels like one of the guys hanging out, like family, brothers. Casey said the world saw how it worked out with him sans guitar but its not up to him anymore.

Now the difficult part. Dim the lights, here we go America.

Lee, would you please stand up. Center of the stage, please. You sang That's Life. What did you feel inside last night? Lee says he felt he could have done better, didn't want to get too pumped up by the judges' praise. Do you feel you are too hard on yourself? Yeah, I am my own worst critic, I just keep pushing myself. Simon says this was the first time he felt Lee started to believe in himself, it was like seeing a different person who believed he could win.

Here we go, America. After the nationwide vote, you are safe. You may take a seat.

Right now we have a treat for you, a woman who is dominating the charts and pushing the entertainment Envelope. With her hit song Angelo, Lady Gaga! Replete with fishnet dress and oiled up bare chested men, I guess if you are a LGG fan, you enjoyed it. Personally, the backup dancers suggestively and sensually touching each other was a bit much for family television, but then again, who know she could play piano.

Tonight we deliver the harsh reality of your results. But first, we look at the Top 5's time with Harry Connick Jr and just how serious he took his job. Roll clip of Connick making fun with the idols.

And here he is with a song off his latest album, And I Love Her, its Harry Connick Jr!

Next the Top 5 join Connick (on the piano) in singing some of his own songs.

Your Top 5 and Harry Connick Jr! One of a kind, everybody. Connick tells a story of when he was 22 and singing at Frank Sinatra's 75th birthday party, conducted by Henri Mancini and arranged by Quincey Jones, and he forgot the words then after the show, Sinatra ignored him and kissed his girlfriend (now his wife) on the lips.

We have more results coming up live after this.

Tonight we have to lose one more person as we round the home stretch and head into the finale. So far, Lee is safe. Casey, Michael, Aaron and Crystal still waiting to here their fate. Dim the lights.

Crystal, please stand up. You sang Summer Wind. Please stand up and start a group on the far side of the stage.

Michael Lynch, you sang The Way You Look Tonight. Would you start a new group on this side of the stage.

Aaron Kelley, ladies & gentlemen, please stand up. You sang Fly Me To The Moon. Aaron, after the vote, would you join Big Mike here on the near side.

Casey James, ladies and gentlemen. You sang Blue Skies. Casey, after the vote, would you stand next to Crystal, please.

So you have Crystal and Casey, Aaron and Big Mike. Lee is safe.

Lee, if you had to choose, would you even go for it? What? Would you choose the safe group? No. Audience, who do you think is safe?

After the nationwide vote, I can tell you that Lee is safe. Mike and Aaron, are the bottom two this week. Crystal and Casey are safe this week. Please take a seat on the couch.

So this is the way it stacks up. Michael and Aaron, your bottom two tonight. Who goes home? Find out after this.

This is how you voted. Either Michael or Aaron will leave the stage tonight after coming so close. After the nationwide vote, the person whose Idol journey comes to an end tonight is...

Aaron Kelley. Mike, you are in the Top 4.

Aaron Kelley, ladies and gentlemen. Did you ever imagine yourself being up here at this stage in the contest? Definitely not, its been an amazing journey. Ryan says you are old enough to tackle anything as he introduces the video of Ryan's journey on American Idol.

He smiles at some of the moments caught on video as he tells all the kids watching to never think they can't do something because they can.

Great advice, Ryan says, he is a true inspiration. Aaron reprises his current week performance of Fly Me To The Moon with every bit of energy as he delivered last night.

Fuskie

Who thinks based on last night's performances, America got it wrong...

me too, but I do love Crystal and I hope she makes it to final 2. Lee is a huge snooze for me I was soo bored with this weeks performances that I did not even come here to comment. I agree with you Neb, I think they are for some reason pushing Lee and downplaying Crystal. I don't know what next weeks theme , I hope it is something really great. I do not know what Simon was saying that Crystals song was indulgent, she sure did not try to like show off, the arrangement was Harry Connicks so I sure did not get that. Big Mike is like ok, Lee is sooo insecure that I could never see him like out on tour, I do however think I could see Casey out doin his thing, I would like to see a Casey /Crystal ending. Last night you notice that the ones safe were Lee, Casey and Crystal, I would be willing to bet that Lee was on the low end of that.

Yikes, what a crappy list. None of the songs I was thinking of are on there. "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" would suit Lee, but I think I'd like to see him do something with more personality. He could do a good job with "Let The River Run".

There are only a few songs I think will showcase the final 4. They're gonna have to fight over them.

Lee could sing Have you ever really loved a woman. He has the perfect voice for that song.

OMG get out of my head Slimcruz - I had the exact same thought when I saw that song on the list! :animated_rotfl:

They added some songs

The added songs:

"Bohemian Rhapsody"

"Falling Slowly"

"Gangsta's Paradise"

"Ghostbusters"

"Gonna Fly Now"

"I Believe I can Fly"

"I Don't Want To Miss a Thing"

"I Will Always Love You"

"Jai Ho"

"Jailhouse Rock"

"Live and Let Die"

"Lose Yourself"

"Purple Rain"

"Stayin Alive"

"Supafly"

"Will You Be There"

LOL @ Gangsta Paradise Jai Ho and Lose Yourself for Idol!

And WTH is up with "Gonna Fly Now" (Rocky Theme) It is mostly Instrumental

My choices for Crystal from the new list would be Will You Be There or Purple Rain

I listened to Leann Rimes and a girl from X-Factor doing Purple Rain and think Crystal could kill it!

ALSO Crystal tweeted today that they are doing Duets :inquisitive:

I would rather they sing a FULL song or two songs by themselves

What a crap list. Some of the cheesiest songs ever! lol And who the heck would sing a rap song at the final four?!

I'm a little worried about Crystal, she usually wants to have a personal connection to the song she's singing and I bet that will be a little harder for her to find on this list. Lee will probably be great because there are quite a few songs that I think he could do really well. Idk about Casey, I'm worried about him maybe going a little cheesy with his performance. I don't even want to guess what Mike will do...it'll probably be Whitney. :rolleyes:

Lee could sing Have you ever really loved a woman. He has the perfect voice for that song.

I totally thought the same thing. I also thought he could do Iris, I think he could do a great job with that song.

I am tired of these guys picking songs that have personal meanings. This contest is not about their own personal therapy. They need to entertain us, not themselves. If they want to pick songs full of meaning to them, stick to the shower. Pick songs with which they can have wicked fun and that we will enjoy.

Fuskie

Who thinks this may be one of the reasons (besides a generally lower grade of talent) that this season has seemed so unexciting...

Have you Ever Really Loved a Woman has been done twice already by

and
. Since Chris pretty much set the bar too high for Lee, I'm hoping he picks something else.

Which leads me to ask: Why, oh why, do they keep giving the contestants the same song selections each season?? Falling Slowly-Kris Allen, Summertime-Fantasia, Everything I Do-Anoop Desai...I think once a song has been done before- MOVE ON. Give them some other songs to choose from already. And PLEASE take off the insipidly crappy songs like My Heart Will Go On, Endless Love and Evergreen. bleh.

Of the songs on the list that haven't been done before (as far as I know, anyway), I think Crystal would do a fantastic job on Let the River Run and Lee or Casey should tackle Iris or I'm Alright. I have no idea what Mike should do...just as long as he doesn't try to tackle Kiss From a Rose.

Jai Ho...LOL! Crazy.

Have you Ever Really Loved a Woman has been done twice already by
and
. Since Chris pretty much set the bar too high for Lee, I'm hoping he picks something else.

Which leads me to ask: Why, oh why, do they keep giving the contestants the same song selections each season?? Falling Slowly-Kris Allen, Summertime-Fantasia, Everything I Do-Anoop Desai...I think once a song has been done before- MOVE ON. Give them some other songs to choose from already. And PLEASE take off the insipidly crappy songs like My Heart Will Go On, Endless Love and Evergreen. bleh.

Of the songs on the list that haven't been done before (as far as I know, anyway), I think Crystal would do a fantastic job on Let the River Run and Lee or Casey should tackle Iris or I'm Alright. I have no idea what Mike should do...just as long as he doesn't try to tackle Kiss From a Rose.

Jai Ho...LOL! Crazy.

Oh jeez, I could totally see him doing that, too! :rolleyes: