AI9: Top 7 Discussion

Fuskie

When you cast a vote on this show, you help to change lives. But this week your effort will help to save lives. This is the time when we give back. And this is American Idol!

Good evening, hello gang, welcome. Good to have you with us. Welcome to the show.

We have a very busy night here on Idol so say hello to our judges, Randy, Ellen, Kara and Simon. As you know, tomorrow night is our annual star studded Idol Gives Back, but we are going to get the festivities started with some great music from your idols tonight. Your Top Seven, America. Let's have a good one, let's rock!

Since we are celebrating Idol Gives Back this week, it only makes sense that our mentor this week has dedicated her life to giving back. Roll video of Alecia Keys. So its songs of inspiration with Alecia Keys.

We get started with Casey James, singing Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow by Fleetwood Mac. Alecia wants the audience to say they love him not the song. Playing the electric guitar, I was not sure that was the note he wanted to start on or the key in which he wanted to sing but he was smiling through it. The performance was a bit rushed, more frenetic than energetic. The latter half was better than the start but it did not convince me. Randy said it was a good performance, not his best, each week we see the same thing from him, we were looking for something more special, outside of his comfort zone. Ellen said great guitar playing, but he has to be great and he is just consistently good; no one will be talking about that tomorrow. Kara said as jealous guy he was sensitive but tonight he was jam band, and that did not make him different. Simon that wasn't a particularly inspiring song, he just stood there, no originality, a lazy song choice.

Fighting to stay in the competition is Lee DeWyze, singing Simon & Garfunkel's The Boxer. Alecia says he has to make the audience believe he is the boxer fighting for his life. With a different take on the melody, he has a strong vocal, emotional without going over the top. The orchestral group on stage wasn't really necessary but the performance was energetic and heartfelt. I could have done without seeing his orthodontic bands, though. Randy said he may not realize this but he is his biggest fan, this season is really about artists this year and he is an artist and will have a big career. Ellen said beautiful song choice and he has so much soul and depth and they are seeing more and more, better and better, best performance by far. Kara said Simon was wrong, THIS week was his moment, this was the difference when you feel connected to a song because it took him to another level. Simon said that was the best of the night; the difference between him and Casey was staggering - that was sincere and emotional and he made it sound it was written a week ago, absolutely brilliant.

Hoping to ride the wave of good feeling is Tim Urban, singing Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls. Alecia said it could be his own song if he makes his audience feel him. He started off a little soft and mild but grew in confidence and energy with a solid vocal that said listen to what I am saying. Randy said it was an interesting choice for him, but just OK karaoke for him, it just sounded OK, he didn't do anything with it. Ellen said he is like the soup of the day - some days she likes the soup and sometimes she doesn't and today she didn't. Kara said this was not his best performance. Simon said if this was the first time they had seen him, they would have been impressed; he is having difficulty believing in the performance and this may have been too high a reach for him; he has improved over the weeks but this was a bit of a letdown.

Next up is Aaron Kelly, singing I Believe I Can Fly by R. Kelley. Alecia said if he can connect, be almost crying by the end of the song, then he will take the audience to a whole 'nother place. Giving off an emotionally acted performance, his vocal was not the most solid but this song is great for recognizing the teenage spirit of hope, so he has that going for him. A strong effort that landed with power and emotion, but based on the overall performance, it fell a little flat. Randy said it was a giant song, the arrangement was a little funny, but he has a pure voice and did a good job. Ellen said that during a brief time during the 70's she thought she could fly but he definitely can fly, it was a tough song and he did it. Kara said it was a little rough on the takeoff but once he got into the air he soared. Simon said he had the guts to take on a song like that but in the real world he would have turned it off in 10 seconds, it wasn't very good until the end.

Going forth is Siobhan Magnus, singing When You Believe by Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston (Prince of Egypt). Alecia said she has to milk her money spot to go from good to great. Successfully starting off in a lower octave, the gasps of breath were a little off putting but her vocal were fantastic and he power vocals knocked it out of the park. There may have been a few pitch issues as she reached for the far ends of her range, but if her performance was a cow, it was well milked. Randy said she picked the toughest song of the night, and man, it was just OK for him. Ellen said it was more confirmation why she is there. Kara said technically it was really well sung, but its not a musical and it was over dramatic and while she would like to hang out with her, she wouldn't buy that on a record. Simon said he agreed with Randy, wrong song, the butterflies looked like leaves and distracted him, the whole thing was all over the place and its a shame.

Hoping for fresh inspiration from his playbook is Big Mike Lynche, singing Hero by Chad Kroeger (featuring Josey Scott). Alecia said he is taking a stylistic song and making it his own and he hopefully can take the audience with him to the highest point. I liked this performance; it was emotional, big vocals, soaring with huge power. My only complaint was his having to take short breaths. Randy said he was worried about the song choice, but he held his own with it, it worked out. Ellen said he did a great job with it. Kara said not her favorite performance, he did not cut through, he doesn't have the voice for it and it was all over the place. Simon said he sang it well but the theme is inspirational songs and that was about Spiderman; it felt a little artificial, didn't quite gel but he will be around next week.

Last to perform is Crystal Bowersox, singing People Get Ready by The Impressions. Alecia said she has to pour her heart into it and deliver the emotion. Bathed in a purple light, this started out all vocal, then the background singers and music came in with a touch of gospel. Her vocal was nearly perfect, although she had a little problem with the power passage. She broke into tears towards the end and finished sobbing and apologizing. Calculating or genuine? Randy said fan since day one, that is how you do it, gotta give her the standing O. Ellen said she has never looked more beautiful and never sang better. Kara said thank you for taking a risk without your guitar; mammasox just schooled all the contestants. Simon said that was inspirational and in a strange way he is happy to see her emotional, this song obviously meant a lot to her and she was in a completely different class than the other songs. Crystal also revealed that she was using her personal mike stand and her father was in the audience for the first time.

Fuskie

Whose top performances (this time in order) were Lee, Crystal and Tim and thinks Casey should be in trouble this week if anyone is actually voted off during Idol Gives Back week...

One more thing. In closing, Ryan warned that the 2 hour Idol Gives Back tomorrow night will likely run long so be sure to set your DVRs accordingly so as to not miss any of the results.

Fuskie

Who hopes everyone is feeling generous tomorrow because the world needs your help...

One more thing. In closing, Ryan warned that the 2 hour Idol Gives Back tomorrow night will likely run long so be sure to set your DVRs accordingly so as to not miss any of the results.

Fuskie

Who hopes everyone is feeling generous tomorrow because the world needs your help...

Not to be negative, but I didn't see that announcement, because it ran long LAST NIGHT!!!! Now...I have NO IDEA who went home....I give up.....what's the point of DVRing a show that can't seem to end on time so that the viewers can see the entire show? The most unprofessional thing I've heard of...

Welcome everybody, welcome to Idol Gives Back. Over the next 2 hours, some of the biggest names in show business will gather to raise money for children here in America and around the world. I know times are tough but together we CAN make a difference. Our judges have their Idol Gives Back stories and here they are: Randy Jackson, Ellen DeGeneres, Kara Diaguardia and the dapper Simon Cowell. We are in two locations, here on the Idol live stage and over at the Pasadena Civic Center in Los Angeles, Queen Latifah!

Queen Latifah and Ryan rattle off a list of performers tonight. Plus tonight we have your results. Someone will be going home tonight. But first, here are your top 12 back together for the group song, Keeping The Dream Alive by Freiheit.

With a message of hope, here is Jennifer Garner with a story how Save The Children help even the most impoverished children get an education. Roll tape. 1-877-IDOL-AID

One of our guest judges has been to Kentucky to see the difference your money makes, Victoria Beckham. Here she is with two of her special friends to tell you how Save The Children has helped them change the direction of their lives. You can donate online at http://americanidol.com. We'll be right back.

Captain Sully Sullenburger tells how you too can save lives by calling 1-877-IDOL-AID or donating through http://americanidol.com.

We get our first comedy skit about a celebrity staffed phone bank run by Jonah Hill & Russell Brand, but there are no actual celebrities (or anyone else for that matter) manning the phones. In the meantime, we check in on our Top 7 contestants.

Big Mike is excited to still be hanging around. Casey says this is an awesome program to be a part of. Lee says he tears up before an emotional song to get into it. And now we head over to Pasadena for Queen Latifah with the Black Eyed Peas singing Rock That Body. Don't forget that all the proceeds from the sale of tonight's performances on iTunes will go to Idol Gives Back! So if you missed the show or just want to relive it, you can do some good at the same time.

But Latifah is not done yet. She has a story on how Idol Gives Back has made a huge difference in Africa, cutting deaths by malaria in half. Recently Ryan visited the continent to see the cruel effects of the disease. Roll heartbreaking tape. A $10 mosquito night can save lives.

1-877-IDOL-AID.. We will be right back. Stay with us.

Even thought his is Idol Gives Back, one of these seven will have to leave us tonight, so give them some love. The producers agreed to auction off a chance to host the results and the winner is a Mr. Lopez from California. George Lopez runs up to the stage, tells Ryan he has 4 other shows to take care of and he has it.

Dim the lights. Too dark. Brighten the lights. Now I have eyes like Danny Gokey. Dim the lights again. I like this.

Now, its time to get serious. I want all the idols to stand up. You guys have been amazing and I want to give something back, so sit down. It's time someone judged the judges for a change.

Dim the lights, here we go. Randy, every night you say pitchy. Kara, what do you think - concentrate and formulate your own thoughts. You feel me? Randy is Lionel Pitchy. Randy, you are the only brother on the show, so Randy Jackson, you are safe.

Kara, Karla, Deguido, every night you say I wanted you to make it your own. I was expecting so much more. I wrote that song. But you came on my show and you were fantastic. I love that about you and wallpapered by bedroom with the nudie picture from that magazine. So Karla, you are safe although no cute boy on the show is.

Ellen D, what's up girl? How are you. Don't talk back. Ellen, every night you say I love that, it moved me, Simon stop touching me. How you stay planted with all that music on, I don't know. Ellen D, you are safe.

And finally, Simon. Every night you say rubbish, ghastly, Ryan stop touching me. My tattoo artist said mix it up, every now and then wear a size large. People at home can tell how cold it is in the studio. Saline or silicone? America has voted, and you have to go back to England. But since there is a big cloud of volcanic ash keeping people from traveling, Simon, you are safe.

Ryan returns to the stage: Not bad. Erik Estrada everybody! And now take a look at the Ford Music Video Commercial.

OK, let's get to it for real. Dim the lights and here we go with results.

Crystal and Casey, please join me in the center of the stage. Crystal and Casey, ladies & gentlemen. Crystal, you sang People Get Ready and it was very emotional for you. Casey, you sang Don't Stop and the judges wished you had shown them something more inspiring. Neither of you have been in the bottom three before tonight, but one of you is tonight. The person who is in the bottom three tonight is Casey. Crystal, you are safe, you may take a seat.

All right, let's go Aaron and Lee. Center stage, please. All right, Aaron you sang I Believe I Can Fly and the judges thought it was OK. Lee, you sang The Boxer and the judges thought you were brilliant. One of these guys is in the bottom three, the other is safe and competes another week. The person who moves on in the competition after the nationwide vote is Lee, you are safe. Aaron in the bottom three, you may take a seat.

So these are how your votes stacked up, ladies and gentlemen. Safe on the couches are Lee and Crystal, and on the stools, two of your bottom three. Who will fill the third spot? We will find out soon but first let's go to Queen Latifah who introduces Jeff Back and Ja Stone backed up by the Jubilation Choir with I Put A Spell On You by Nina Simone.

A montage of stars introduce a video of orphaned children in Africa from the ravages of AIDS, lack of health care and conflict. Help Idol Give Back by calling 1-877-IDOL-AID or going to americanidol.com to donate.

We get a thank you from the UN General Secretary for our generous support. Then it is Morgan Freeman who tells of his childhood growing in Mississippi and how today's generation are not getting as good an education as he did. He and Randy Jackson spent time in his home state to see how Save The Children is making a difference. Roll the video. Literacy and physical fitness are necessary to climb your way out of poverty. You can help by helping Idol give back.

If you want to donate $10 using your phone, text IDOL to 20222, up to 3 times per phone. Now here is the incomparable Alicia Keys with Unthinkable and Empire State Of Mind.

After the break, Carrie Underwood and your results. But first, a plea from Josh Groban, reminding you to call 1-877-IDOL-AID or go to americanidol.com to make your contribution now.

We go back to Jonah Hill & Russell Brand who couldn't find any celebrity friends to man the phone pool. All they can find are celebrity impersonators plus Slash and the Octomom and some of the Octos. We know she can deliver!

Ryan wants to call this whole experiment off when Jim Carey walks in. He sees all the impersonators and runs off the stage. Everyone has to pee, right?

But now we go back to Queen Latifah in Pasadena with Carrie Underwood and Change! Carrie's new tour will be giving 36 cents from each ticket to Save The Children.

Next Ellen describes her trip with David Arquette to learn how Feeding America is helping 37 million keep from going hungry. Your $10 donation can buy 90lbs of food. Text IDOL to 20222 to donate $10 through your phone bill.

Your results are coming up but first we get another inspirational video featuring kids who have dreams of growing up but must first survive a malaria epidemic in their childhood where one child dies every 30 seconds. Tonight you can stop the dreams of a generation of children from being stopped before they get a chance to sing. Call 1-877-IDOL-AID or go to americandidol.com to donate.

People everywhere have been so generous as Ryan rattles off some additional fund raising efforts by Idol fans before running a clip of Bill & Melinda Gates talking about how critical providing basic health care and vaccinations to children around the world. The cost to save a life is so low, even for those whose own finances are tight. Today we still have 9 million children dying from a lack of care which is an improvement of 20 million in 1960, but it's not zero. Bill hopes everyone will want to give back through Idol and be able to say tomorrow that they feel great about making a difference.

Ladies and gentlemen, Wanda Sykes!

She says Simon looked bored earlier in the season because he was playing with his nipples. But it is an excited season. It is elimination night. I like American Idol because they keep the meanness in. You get voted out and then have to sing. And before you go home, let's look at this video package of how you looked happy and thought you were going somewhere before your dreams were crushed. And then they tell you to sing and remind America why they didn't vote for you. Show them they were right. And now you have the save, and you used the save on Mike here, but you knew you were going to use the Save. Which of you were going to tell him to his face he was going home?

All right, let us get back to the results for the evening. Crystal and Lee are sitting pretty on the couch because they are safe, but Casey and Aaron over there on the stools is in the bottom three. Dim the lights and here we go.

Mike, Tim and Siobhan, please come to the center of the stage. A round of applause for these contestants. Mike, you sang Hero and the judges were split. Siobhan, you sang When You Believe but the judges weren't blown away. Tim, you sang Better Days and the judges thought you were moving in the right direction as an artist.

One more space left in the bottom three and we need to fill it.

Siobhan, you are safe. Congratulations. Siobhan Magnus.

Mike, last year Matt Giraud was saved by the judges and only lasted two more weeks. Mike, you have defeated the odds - you are safe. Congratulations. Tim is in the bottom three.

So you have Casey, Aaron and Tim in the bottom three tonight. One of them will be going home.

But now please welcome who knows all too well the pressure of this show, Season 7 winner David Cook. He tells tales of hope from his recent trip to Ethiopia, the UN Founation and a girl named Magnus who just wants a chance. You can give it to her by calling 877-IDOL-AID or going to americanidol.com to donate.

We come back from break with the video story by Annie Lennox of a 7yr old girl who weights the same as a 1yr old baby, has pneumonia and AIDS, born HIV positive. If her mother had been able to get the anti-viral drugs when she was pregnant, she might have been born healthy. Instead, she is an orphan. She is always cheerful, smiling, never complaining even though she could die any day. She is so sick but so incredibly strong. She could have been living a normal life with her mom if her mom had gotten the treatment she needs. You can help make that happen for another little girl who hasn't yet been born. It was too late to save her mom, but the little girl is now receiving the care she needs to survive. Give what you can tonight and help hundreds of children and their moms to survive the scourge of AIDs.

Lennox was unable to make it back to California from overseas due to the volcano ash, but she sings via video from London and thanks you for your generous giving.

Next up is Mary J Blige and a slew of notable artists singing Stairway To Heaven.

Now here is Simon's report The Childrens' Health Fund in Douglas, Arizona and Dr. John who takes the medicine to the communities where children have little access to doctors or care through a mobile medical unit. We are introduced to a little girl, Zylene, who has a rare disease being treated by Dr. John through the generous contributions of Idol Gives Back. Currently, he and his team care for 5000 in the Douglas community, and your donations go straight to those who need your help the most. Call 1-877-IDOL-AID or go to americanidol.com to donate.

Simon announces that in the first 2 hours of Idol Gives Back, they have raised over $13,000,000.

Ben Afleck makes a pre-recorded plea for your contributions.

Queen Latifah has Sir Elton John out in Pasadena, who has made it his mission to eradicate AIDS through The Elton John Foundation. AIDs is a global issue with over 33 million around the world HIV positive. John encourages everyone to get tested - you can be helped so don't be afraid - be responsible and wear condoms (a great message for Idol's tweener audience). Here singing Your Song is the one and only Elton John!

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life is, while you're in the world.

That is it from Queen Latifah in Pasadena. Its time to go back to Ryan for the conclusion of tonight's results. Next, find out which one of these three unfortunately are going home, after the break.

Everyone on the couch will continue on next week with mentor Shania Twain and her music.

But first I will send either Tim, Aaron or Casey to safety. Who is it? Dim the lights.

Aaron, you are safe for one more week. Congrats, buddy, take a seat.

Casey or Tim. One is safe, the other is heading home. After the nationwide vote, the person leaving American Idol tonight is Tim Urban. Casey is safe.

Let's hear it for Teflon Tim. Keep that smile alive.

Thanks to the judges for all their hard work on the show and to everyone watching for their generosity and support. And now we take a look at Tim's journey on the show.

Fuskie

Who thinks based on last night's performances and his lack of progression, Casey deserved to go home but is impressed Tim (who still reminds me of Patrick Fugit from Almost Famous) lasted this long and did indeed grow throughout the competition...

Not to be negative, but I didn't see that announcement, because it ran long LAST NIGHT!!!! Now...I have NO IDEA who went home....I give up.....what's the point of DVRing a show that can't seem to end on time so that the viewers can see the entire show? The most unprofessional thing I've heard of...

Tim

Actually Ryan said about 8:40 that it would be running over, and I am happy he did, I quickly set it so it would tape 30 min longer. Usually when it is a live show it will go over by a cpl mins, last night I was not here tho and had forgotton to time it right and did not get to see the very end critiques.

I enjoyed Joss Stone and Jeff Beck the most, boy she has some soul, and loved the Mary J all star band, love that girl guitar player, wow, she can really play.

Was it just me or were the Black Eyed Peas really, really bad last night? And did Fergie's thighs look extra thick in that outfit?

Yes, they did. I think it was because of those strange boots she was wearing. They put alot of attention on the thighs.

To be fair, Ryan said Tuesday night that Wednesday night's show would run over.

Fuskie

Who notes that Tuesday's show also ran over and Ryan posted on one of his web sites the first few minutes of Glee that many missed...

When you cast a vote on this show, you help to change lives. But this week your effort will help to save lives. This is the time when we give back. And this is American Idol!

Cry me an effing river. Let's see an AI benefit for Americans in need not a country that's inhaled $950,000,000.00 from us since 1978 ( excluding our latest donations ).

I shut that crap off.

You must have missed the part where they show the money does in fact go towards American children in need as well.

Fuskie

Who is sorry you were not philanthropically inclined...

You must have missed the part where they show the money does in fact go towards American children in need as well.

Fuskie

Who is sorry you were not philanthropically inclined...

True - I thought there was a LOT of focus this time on children in America.