Season 2: Episode 2.03: Orientation

kayo

Episode 2.03: Orientation

Airdate: October 5, 2005

• 09/22 - The hatch begins to yield its secrets to Jack, Locke and Kate. And the survivors of the attack on the raft wonder just who's holding them captive. Source: TV Guide Online

09/19 - Jack, Locke and Kate learn more secrets about the hatch. Meanwhile, after being beaten and taken captive, Sawyer, Michael and Jin wonder if their captors are fellow survivors or the dreaded "Others." Guest starring are Henry Ian Cusick as Desmond, Kevin Tighe as Cooper, Curtis Jackson as security guard, Katey Sagal as Helen, Roxie Sarhangi as Francine, Jeanne Rogers as moderator, Marvin Candle as Dr. Marvin Candle and Michael Lanzo as waiter. Source: ABC

• 09/16 - Katey Sagal will guest-star on an episode of "Lost" early this season, but her role for the moment is as cryptic as the meaning of Hurley's numbers. The former "8 Simple Rules" star will be playing a character named Helen in the third episode this season, scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 5. It seems more likely that she would appear in the show's flashback scenes; higher-profile guest stars were primarily used that way in "Lost's" first season. It also appears that the flashback for the episode, titled "Orientation," will concern Locke (Terry O'Quinn). Kevin Tighe ("Murder One"), who appeared last season as Locke's father, Cooper, will reprise his role. Beyond that, ABC is offering only the broadest of hints about the episode, saying Jack (Matthew Fox), Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and Locke "learn more secrets about the hatch." The show's producers have said episode three contains a fairly major revelation about what's inside the hatch. Elsewhere, Michael (Harold Perrineau), Sawyer (Josh Holloway) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) face a new challenge after escaping the raft. Source: Zap2it
  • 08/31 - [This episode] will introduce a new character named Helen who may become a recurring character. Helen is another woman in her forties who is is sexy, convivial, enchanting and a bit out of her rocker, with a dark side and a mean past. This episode is focusing on Locke. Source: FilmJerk.com
  • 08/18 - Locke-centric episode. Source: Ain't It Cool News
Source - Spoilerfix.

I did read somewhere that the producer is saying this is definitely the episode NOT TO MISS! I wish I could remember what site the info was on, and please forgive me ranster and jem if you have already posted it!

The info I read said that this episode ties up some unanswered questions from episodes 1 & 2 (especially having to do with the hatch?) and has a BIG revelation.

C'mon season 2!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Rebekah

Woohoo! Season 2 begins in less than 15 days! I have to remember to set the vcr to tape the shows this time around. Good to know NOT to miss this episode. And Locke gets a love interest? Could it be with Rose? Rousseau? The blond on that boat? I getting ahead of myself here.

• 2 weeks later...
FROM SpoilerFix

09/16 - Katey Sagal will guest-star on an episode of "Lost" early this season, but her role for the moment is as cryptic as the meaning of Hurley's numbers. The former "8 Simple Rules" star will be playing a character named Helen in the third episode this season, scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 5. It seems more likely that she would appear in the show's flashback scenes; higher-profile guest stars were primarily used that way in "Lost's" first season. It also appears that the flashback for the episode, titled "Orientation," will concern Locke (Terry O'Quinn). Kevin Tighe ("Murder One"), who appeared last season as Locke's father, Cooper, will reprise his role. Beyond that, ABC is offering only the broadest of hints about the episode, saying Jack (Matthew Fox), Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and Locke "learn more secrets about the hatch." The show's producers have said episode three contains a fairly major revelation about what's inside the hatch. Elsewhere, Michael (Harold Perrineau), Sawyer (Josh Holloway) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) face a new challenge after escaping the raft. Source: Zap2it

Hmmm...the voice of Helen during the 1st season's Locke flashback didn't sound at all like Katey Sagal. I thought I remembered it being a much younger voice. I'll have to re-watch that episode on my LOST season 1 DVD!! :D

Guest ranster627

And I for one want a full report back Kayo! Perhaps it is one of her many voices ... after all she does a lot of voiceover work in animation ...

And I for one want a full report back Kayo! Perhaps it is one of her many voices ... after all she does a lot of voiceover work in animation ...

Will do, Ran. My mind is too boggled right now, but I'll try and watch it in the next couple of days and report back, okeedoke?

Hmmm...the voice of Helen during the 1st season's Locke flashback didn't sound at all like Katey Sagal. I thought I remembered it being a much younger voice. I'll have to re-watch that episode on my LOST season 1 DVD!! :D

Nope, I just watched season 1 episode "Walkabout" again and Helen's voice does not sound AT ALL like Katey Sagal's. They probably signed her on after they developed the back story...my guess is the actress that did the voice over wasn't right for the part visually...OR Katey has an amazing ability to change her voice completely. Has anyone else listened to the segment from season 1 with her voice willing to voice their opinion? I could be wrong...

Guest ranster627

This is the MUST SEE episode of the season!!!!!

Without referring to any details in the Main Forum ... LOSTERS take Note!

The next episode of LOST is said to be a must see episode ... set your machines and get ready to be wowed ... I won't spoil it for you here, you can visit the spoiler zone for that, but want to make sure you are all alerted not to miss it!!!!!

Without referring to any details in the Main Forum ... LOSTERS take Note!

The next episode of LOST is said to be a must see episode ... set your machines and get ready to be wowed ... I won't spoil it for you here, you can visit the spoiler zone for that, but want to make sure you are all alerted not to miss it!!!!!

I think I know what it is. But just to check, where is the spoiler zone?

Guest ranster627
I think I know what it is. But just to check, where is the spoiler zone?

and the cliff's note version ... it is a subforum to this forum seen when you enter the LOST Forum's at the top of the page ... click on it and a whole world opens up ...

BACK TO TOPIC: Watch the next episode of LOST folks ... it is called a "must-see" episode!

I posted the whole article under general spoilers (its an interesting read!) but thought I'd post these sections of it here as it applies to this episode:

Chicago Tribune

"Another clue-Literary publisher gets mysterious role on abc's 'Lost'"

By Patrick T. Reardon

Tribune staff reporter

Published September 21, 2005

On Oct. 5, one of Dalkey's books -- a 1999 reprint of the comic novel "The Third Policeman" by the late Irish writer Flann O'Brien -- "will be prominently featured at a key moment" in the third episode of this season of "Lost," says Craig Wright who wrote the script with Javier Grillo-Marxuach.

...O'Brien's book from Dalkey,Wright says, "was chosen very specifically for a reason." It's narrated by a dead man although the reader doesn't learn this until the end of the book. A red herring, perhaps? Or a telling hint? Wright won't say.

What he will say is: "Whoever goes out and buys the book will have a lot more ammunition in their back pocket as they theorize about the show. They will have a lot more to speculate about -- and, no small thing, they will have read a really great book." :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I just found this description of the book The Third Policeman:

"Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman is one of the most unusual novels in the English language, comparable only to Alice in Wonderland as an allegory of the absurd.

Within its convoluted and perplexing boundaries you will find:

a murder thriller in which the murderer is haunted both by his victim (a man who never says yes) and by his own soul whom he names Joe and with whom he forms a solicitous friendship;

a hilarious comic satire about an archetypal village police force whose three remarkable members are obsessed by the atomic structure of their bicycles;

a surrealistic vision of eternity in which paradise is entered in a lift and is powered by omnium - the stuff of life;

a tender, brief, erotic, unrequited love affair between a man and his bicycle;

an extraordinary commentary (in annotations) on the life work of a metaphysical philosopher called de Selby who believed among other wonders that the night was an accretion of black sooty substances in the atmosphere.

O'Brien exploits his unique flair for wildly funny dialogue to tell a chilling, macabre fable of unending guilt. "

??? Ok, now I'm going have to get me a copy of this book!

:unsure:

10/01 - On television, the novel "The Third Policeman" is about to become linked to the island mysteries that surround the ABC series, "Lost." Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman" involves a murder and reoccurring time sequences. The narrator is dead, and he is obsessed with theories about life being but a hallucination and death being the supreme hallucination. Source: Pantagraph

Source - Spoilerfix

Ok, I couldn't take it anymore- I just ordered the book online! The synopsis sounds a little weird, but I'm game if it has any LOST clues in it! ;)

Has anyone seen the new previews for tomorrow's episode? In the very last shot it looks like Jack is really distraught (crying)...what could cause him to be this upset?? It makes me wonder if something happens to Kate, or possibly Desmond.

Also, I can't tell who is standing in the foreground- all you can see is long, wiry dark hair. If someone views it and can figure it out, please let me know, ok? My guess is it's probably Hurley or Sayid, but I just can't tell for sure.

Has anyone seen the new previews for tomorrow's episode? In the very last shot it looks like Jack is really distraught (crying)...what could cause him to be this upset?? It makes me wonder if something happens to Kate, or possibly Desmond.

Also, I can't tell who is standing in the foreground- all you can see is long, wiry dark hair. If someone views it and can figure it out, please let me know, ok? My guess is it's probably Hurley or Sayid, but I just can't tell for sure.

i haven't seen any previews for this weeks epi... i'm DYING with anticipation here... the damn red sox game is pre-empting my viewing of lost - they're showing it at 11:35 after the news - i'm going to bed now for a couple of hours and then getting up to watch it... they're replaying it at 8 on saturday, but who can wait that long?!?! I do have tivo, but again, it's not the same as watching it first run, kwim?

tick tick tick tick

Guest ranster627

my behavioural and experiment throries seem to be more on the mark than I thought!!!! And just where are the other stations?

I feel confident now that the Others were a cult that went nuts ... and I am even more confident that Sawyer and friends are being held by the survivors from the tail section plus an island man ...

as for Desmond ... I think he knows more than he says ...

I didn't get to see any previews ... but my heart is still racing ...

Guest ranster627

anyone else get a chuckle out of Hurley's eyes when he saw all the food?

Nope, I just watched season 1 episode "Walkabout" again and Helen's voice does not sound AT ALL like Katey Sagal's. They probably signed her on after they developed the back story...my guess is the actress that did the voice over wasn't right for the part visually...OR Katey has an amazing ability to change her voice completely. Has anyone else listened to the segment from season 1 with her voice willing to voice their opinion? I could be wrong...

At least they changed her hair!

I think this episode was great as usual!! Even though I wanted to smack and choke Jack. Good lord how freaking irritating was he!?!

And even though I wanted him to press the button b/c well.. I'm a big wimp that didn't want anyone else to die...

I was sorta hoping that he wouldn't have pressed it just to see what happens.

What I'm really curious about though is what's gonna happen to Desmond.

Sooo many questions... dernit! Why does it have to be only an hour long! :(

So the woman he was talking to was Helen huh.... okedoke.

I'll have to watch that episode later on to see if the voices are the same.

Doubt it though b/c that actress has a very recognizable voice.

Yeah.. sounded like perfect english.

But it's prolly just bad accenting on his part. Least that's what I think.

Can't wait till next week.. as usual.

Looks like the new girl might be a new love interest for Sawyer... YAY!!!! I'm so tired of every guy falling over themselves for Kate! A new strong woman is definetly good.

Specially one that can smack around Sawyer a bit :P heh

I love Sawyer but it's just too funny watching him get beat up.

This, as a whole, was not one of my favorite episodes. I found it way too predictable as far as the other "others" were concerned. And the book which I thought was supposed to play a pivotal part was merely a flash and "poof!"

Ah well...I'm still excited for next week's episode, especially after the end of the preview showing Jin speaking perfect English...without even an accent! What a brilliant stroke to dangle that tasty morsel of news in front of us like a HUMONGUS carrot! (Was it just Jin dreaming?)

:blink:

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name