Sign in to follow this  
Jem

'ER'

NBC looking to extend 'ER'

The Hollywood Reporter

The lifespan of NBC's venerable medical drama "ER" is about to be extended by at least two years, through the 2007-08 season, sources said.

NBC is understood to be finalizing a deal to order two more seasons of the Warner Bros. TV drama series, shepherded for the past 11 seasons by executive producer John Wells. An NBC spokeswoman declined comment on the matter late last week, as did a representative for Warner Bros. TV.

NBC's contract for the show already ran through the upcoming 2005-06 season. The new pact will cover the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons, sources said.

"ER" has been a stalwart for NBC during what has so far been a rocky season. The Thursday 10 p.m. drama is tied with "The Apprentice 2" as the peacock's top show in the adult 18-49 demographic, averaging a 7.8 rating/20 share for the season to date. It is also NBC's most-watched program overall by a considerable margin, averaging 16.5 million viewers for the season to date.

The "ER" pickup raises questions about the show's ever-changing ensemble cast. Noah Wyle, the only original cast member to stay with the show through its entire run to date, has said he is considering leaving at the end of the current season.

"ER" made prime-time history in 1998, when Warner Bros. secured a record $13 million per-episode license fee for the show from NBC in a renewal deal that came at a time when the peacock was vulnerable from the loss of "Seinfeld" in that same year. But the "ER" license fee under subsequent renewal agreements between NBC and Warner Bros. is understood to have dropped to

$8 million to $9 million.

Yay!!! It's safe for a few more years!! This is my oldest/longest still running show!

Guest XandraSkye
Mine too. I'll keep watching as long as it is on the air.

Guest Stewie

Thanks for the info Jem... you are just amazing

ER has been renewed for 2 more seasons as well as Joey, Las Vegas and West WING

Guest conniejoe
That's great news! I just love Danny Glover. I can't wait to see the dynamic w/ him and the Dr. Pratt character. This should make the season finale quite interesting.

Guest XandraSkye
Yesterday, while I was home sick, I finally got around to watching the two episodes with Michael Gallant. They were such good episodes. For Neela's sake I hope he comes back for good.

Guest conniejoe
Skye - I agree. Gallant & Neleh have such chemistry and that poor girl really needs a break. But I get this bad feeling that he'll get killed over there. Hope I'm wrong.

Guest XandraSkye

It sure looked like they were setting it up that way, with the "letter" and all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that hospital is cursed!

Noah Wyle to Leave As 'ER' Regular

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The doctor is out: Noah Wyle is leaving "ER" as a regular cast member at the end of this season, NBC said Thursday. Wyle, 33, the only original star who remained with the medical drama through its 11 years, will return for four episodes in each of the next two seasons. "ER" has been renewed through the 2007-08 season.

True love steals away his character, Dr. John Carter, who reunites in the May 12 episode with girlfriend Kem (Thandie Newton), a health administrator he met doing volunteer medical work in Africa.

Carter leaves Chicago's County General Hospital in the May 19 season finale. "It's very sad for me. Noah and I have a lot of history together," "ER" executive producer John Wells told USA Today. "He's a wonderful actor and a wonderful man, and it's been great to watch him grow up and get married and have a family."

In 2004, Wyle said he intended to leave "ER" when his contract ended this season. "I've just got other stuff going in my life right now," Wyle told "E! News Live" last September. "I've got a son, I've got family and friends that said goodbye to me 12 years ago and are wondering when I'm coming back, and this little urge to scratch a different kind of itch in my career, and it's just coming to the end of the character's run."

When the series debuted in September 1994, Wyle played the impressionable young resident in a cast that included Anthony Edwards, George Clooney, Eriq La Salle, Julianna Margulies and Sherry Stringfield.

As they departed, Wyle turned into the show's centerpiece. Stringfield returned to her role as Dr. Susan Lewis in 2001 after a five-year break. The drama has been a durable performer for NBC, although it lost its No. 1 ratings status to newcomers including Fox's "American Idol." In head-to-head competition with CBS' "Without a Trace" at 10 p.m. EST Thursday, it trails in total viewers.

Guest XandraSkye
I guess Luka will become the lead male now since he's been there the longest. They need to get another male doctor in there. Pratt is ok but he's too, I don't know, confrontational or something. And Ray's (Shane West) character hasn't really caught on yet. I do like all the famale characters, esp. Abby and I think Sam and Neela are great.

Guest conniejoe

I knew this was coming, but I still can't accept it! I just love Noah's character. There will be a significant void in ER's personality once he's gone.

I agree, Skye! They need to introduce another male doctor. While there's a strong female contingent (for once), it's kind of out-of-balance. I'd like to see them bring in an older (but not too old), established doctor.

The couple's reunion episode, airing May 12 and reportedly titled "Carter Est Amoureux," will shoot in Paris in April.

Carter and Likasu had a baby boy who was stillborn, after which she rejected his marriage proposal and returned to work with AIDS patients in Africa. Since then, Carter has been very unhappy, briefly drinking again and taking a stab at a new romance with social worker Wendall Meade (Mdchen Amick) fizzle.

The season-finale plotline not only allows for a happier resolution of Carter and Likasu's relationship, but it also makes it possible for Wyle to reappear for four episodes in each of the next two seasons of the series, which has been renewed through 2007-08. It also allows for Wyle to spend more time with his family and pursue other career opportunities, as he has wanted to do for sometime.

Noah quits 'ER' for family

(BANG) - Noah Wyle has quit 'ER' to spend more time with his young family.

The handsome actor, who played Dr John Carter in the hit medical drama for 11 years, will leave the show at the end of the current series in May.

However, Wyle - who is the only original actor left in the show since its 1994 debut - is due to return for four episodes in each of the next two series.

The show's executive producer, John Wells, said he was "very sad" at Wyle's decision.

He added: "Noah and I have a lot of history together. He's a wonderful actor and a wonderful man, and it's been great to watch him grow up and get married and have a family."

Wyle admitted it was a very difficult decision because he thoroughly enjoyed working on the show, which launched the career of Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney.

Last year, 33-year-old Wyle, who has received five Emmy nominations for the role, hinted he was planning to quit the series because he was spending too much time away from his family.

He said at the time: "I've got family and friends that said goodbye to me 12 years ago and are wondering when I'm coming back."

Guest ranster627
Did anyone see the scenes for next weeks ER, it looks sooo good, I can't wait..YAY

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

ER

Thank you, Skip Carrington for telling us via the Thursday Hot List that this "farewell" episode for Noah Wyle was not one of those over-the-top goodbye shows, probably because Noah will be back for four shows next season and four the following. Rather, it was a "Please pass the salt and oh, Carter's leaving" departure. What made this season finale one of the most exciting episodes of the season was the real-life ripped-from-Chicago-headlines story of the collapsing porches. But here's the irony for me: That actually happened a few blocks down from where my dad lives in Chicago. I remember the day he called me a few years ago and said, "You will not believe what happened on my street! It's all over the news!"

Speaking of the porch, it was really cool to see Shane West's Ray play the hero, especially since he wasn't sure if he wanted to sign his contract. Shane got to shine and he was just fine. One of the best lines, though, was Abby's to the theater director after he said, "The show must go on" (the episode's title). "Why is that exactly?" she questioned. "I mean, why can't the show just stop?" With Noah departing, the show won't stop, but there were a few tear-jerking scenes. The one that made me cry the most was Luka quoting his dad: "We only part to meet again." Awesome ending when Carter heard the flashback voices, and then we heard Lynyrd Skynyrd ask, "If I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?" We will, Noah.

Three random things:

Why was Danny Glover only in a cameo?

What was with Chuny's Dorothy pigtails?

And where was Laura Innes? Made no sense

I havent liked Carter since he broke up with Abby so I am not worked up at all about him leaving. He chased Abby and chased her and once he got her her tried to change everything about her. I'm not big on the new guy they have her with -- hopefully next year they will give her a really great story. I am also looking forward to the story line between pratt and his father -- guessing the cameo was to tease us a bit. And I hope they bring back Neela's guy from Iraq (name escapes me right now) they are sweet together.

So does everyone think Sam's son will be found dead or alive? I hate to say dead but it opens up so many story lines -- Luca will finally be forced to deal with all his buried emotions about losing his family.

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Got any ER scoop for next season?

Ausiello: John Stamos was in talks to join the cast as a new doctor

SPOILER -

Life in the ER is getting a tad more complicated for the new residents

Guest ranster627

ER

Remember when there was a new Darren on Bewitched? How about when Chris on The Partridge Family changed? Then there was a new Steven on Dynasty and, of course, a new Becky on Roseanne (and then back to the old). Now we have a new Alex on ER. Alex, just to remind you, is Samantha's diabetic son and he's now being played by Dominic Janes. Maybe Oliver Davis had to do full-time work on Rodney (a show I've never seen)? Anyway

Guest ranster627

ER

So after going to the live Will & Grace taping and getting a bite to eat at the after-party, where I told the cast how fabu they were, I was really in the mood to go home to watch my favorite Chicago-based medical drama. Actually, I wasn't

Guest ranster627

ER

Does this show have room for two beeyotches? They already have Kerry Weaver. Now there's Kristen Johnson as Eve, the new nurse manager that everybody hates. I started out loving her since I tend to flock towards the "female dogs" and then when she was mean to my Luka, I hated her. I briefly forgave her when she and Luka seemed to patch things up. But when Eve told Sam she didn't want her to work the same shift as Luka, I was back to hating her. Loved when Sam compared her to Yoda. Kristen does a great job regardless. I was never a 3rd Rock fan, but she was nice to me the one time I met her.

Very freaky beginning, with the unidentified burn victim running into the hospital himself. But nothing was more scary than the abusive father lunging towards his ex-wife after realizing their son was probably dead. Poor Luka. It was bad enough he didn't go back to the boy sooner, but it was even worse that Eve was right. Nice work from Jessica Hecht (Ross' ex-wife's wife on Friends) as the woman reluctantly getting the double mastectomy. Speaking of which, how about Abby seeing Dr. Dubenko getting examined in the oncology lab? No wonder he was Crabby Spice earlier. And does Abby want Luka back? Since she got to see his new bachelor pad, you know I'm dying once again to ask if he lives on the second floor.

Three final random items. First, could Morris be any more annoying? When he said "Oy!" to the Jewish patient, I was like "No he didn't." Second, that was the barely recognizable Sasha Mitchell from Step By Step back as the bartender at the end. One scene. One line. I guess you gotta get work somewhere, but boy how the mighty hath fallen. And finally, as a former Chicagoan, I love when I hear actual hometown references on the show. When Pratt wanted to send a pizza to Gallant in Iraq, I screamed "Yes!" when the absolute best pizza in Chicago was recommended: "Lou Malnati's