'Idol' in the Media

Jem

Dismissal of 'American Idol' Claim Upheld

HOUSTON AP- An appeals court has upheld dismissal of a man's claim that a television network stole his idea for the hit show "American Idol."

A federal judge in 2003 dismissed Harry Keane Jr.'s claim without hearing it and ordered him to pay Fox Television Stations Inc.'s legal fees of nearly $130,000.

Keane's attorneys had argued before the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that Keane deserved a trial, but the court disagreed Thursday.

Keane, of Irving, said he came up with the show in 1994, and that he sent material to Fox outlining his concept in 1998. "American Idol" first aired in 2002. "Because Keane sent out unsolicited letters, which detailed the specifics of his idea, to several different production companies and advertised his idea on the Internet, the district court correctly found that he cannot demonstrate that he had a trade secret," the appeals court wrote.

Denman Heard, Keane's lawyer, said through a spokesman that he was reviewing the decision and deciding what to do next.

• 2 weeks later...

'Idol' Singers Are Squealing

By Daniel Fienberg

paulaabdul_foxtca05_240.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - I, for one, don't plan on paying much attention to Tuesday (March 29) night's "American Idol." After the success of last week's alleged voting fiasco and the resulting extra episode, I fully expect to be able to watch all of tonight's performances again tomorrow.

Host Ryan Seacrest has apparently blocked out last week's silliness, because he claims he told the Top 10 about this week's theme on Wednesday, rather than Thursday when we all bid a tearful farewell to Mikalah Gordon. Because the producers are just too lazy to think of creative or specific themes, we're skipping the '70s and '80s and conveniently ignoring what a bad show '60s Night was. "Idol" is flashing all the way back to the '90s. Will any of the singers have the audacity to whip out a cover of "Opposites Attract" or "Rush, Rush" just to impress Paula Abdul? Would Paula even notice if they did?

"Remedy" isn't one of the best songs of the '90s. Heck, it isn't one of the best songs by the Black Crowes. Bo tries hard and he'd be well suited to performing this one at dive bars around the country, but he's upstaged by a huge floppy hat, a spectacularly shiny red shirt and the anonymous backing music. Randy thinks that it was hot and that Bo is on the right track to win this. Paula is too dazed to even clap her hands properly, much less be objective. She just hides herself in Bo's hat. Simon didn't like the song choice and also had issues with the arrangement, calling it something you'd hear at a wedding.

Jessica first concert featured the Dixie Chicks. I'd make a joke here, but my first concert by myself was Expose, so I should really shut up. Jessica just isn't capable of being compelling in consecutive weeks. She sings Leann Rimes' "On the Side of Angels" and she's utterly forgettable. She looks fine. Her voice is nice. She doesn't move. She doesn't emote. She's there and then she's gone. Randy doesn't understand why that was her choice out of all the songs from the decade. Paula, eyes half-closed, wasn't impressed either. Also, the cameraman is afraid of Paula's cleavage, because she looks ready to expose herself. Simon says that Jessica isn't as likable as the other contestants and that she needs to go that extra mile to stay memorable.

Anwar is so rough on the beginning of "I Believe I Can Fly" that I feel inclined to excuse a lot of misdeeds from Mr. R. Kelly. Anwar doesn't have any interest in the tune for the first half of the song and even though he has good moments toward the end, this is the third straight weak performance from one of the early favorites. The crowd, though, is ecstatic. Randy thinks Anwar had problems with his lower register and has to rescue every performance with his pure higher register. Paula, who seems genuinely blitzed this evening, rambles something about how this was the best version of the song she's ever heard.

"Amen and God bless you," Paula says, tossing in a new facial tic. :shock:

Simon just agrees with Randy. Forget the judging, though. It's time for a spirited game of "What the Blazes Is Paula On?" My first vote? Ummm, maybe she's huffing paint in Bo's hat?

has her sneer and afro and confidence back for "I'm the Only One." She has to battle to make herself heard over the musical accompaniment, which is a problem unless I accidentally tuned in to "Session Guitar Idol." Her strength isn't in the power of her voice, but in how she uses it and tonight it's difficult to hear. Randy says that even though her voice isn't the best, she made something of it. Paula -- maybe working the 'Tussin? -- bobs her head like a Stevie Wonder impersonator, but calls it better than last week. Simon concurs.

Constantine loves the '90s and its grunge rock roots. Wait. Then why is he sitting on the stage and pouting his way through Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me?" Occasionally he sings the song in tune. That's the best I can say. I was never going to vote for Constantine anyway, but perhaps his fans will keep buying into his bizarre awfulness. Randy has finally discovered that Constantine was never a rocker to begin with. Paula, hands together in prayer, says that this was Constantine's best male vocal. I'm convinced. She's been licking toads. Simon tells Constantine that he was better than Bo this week.

remembers when his dad retired from the St. Louis Cardinals, which doesn't have much to do with his performance of "Can We Talk." Like Anwar, he has problems with the lower register stuff, but Randy calls him Most Improved and says that he blew it out. Paula's proud to be sitting where she's sitting. Boy, I hope she keeps sitting where she's sitting long after taping ends tonight or that she has a driver, because she shouldn't be driving or walking or moving. Simon calls it a faithful cover of the original.

In the '90s, Anthony came to this country and was amazed by the fast cars, tall buildings and equal opportunity for all citizens. "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" is the song choice for "Idol's" answer to Fievel Mousekewitz. His glasses are off, he's straining his voice to the breaking point and he still doesn't make any kind of impression. Anthony's just out of his league now. Randy repeats it was aight at least four times. Paula, Whitney Houston once observed that crack is whack. I'm just repeating that fact, not actually insinuating. She giggles and says Anthony was great. Simon declares that "middle, beginning and end" it was excruciating. Paula paws at him and tries to disagree, but she really can't put more than five words together at a stretch tonight.

Carrie remembers going on her first date in the '90s, saying that her dad was cleaning his shotgun as the lucky man arrived. She does Martina McBride's "Independence Day" and she has just enough spark and vocal power to deliver a fine performance and lift herself to the top of the pack for the night. Randy calls it great several times. An alien has occupied Paula's body. If I transcribe anything she said, I'm letting the aliens win. Simon announces that Carrie has the It Factor.

I don't care how often Ryan calls Scott "Scott the Body," he'll always be the Round Mound of Sound to me. I want to give him credit because he's got his eyes open for the entire performance, but it's painful to listen to. I want to close my eyes. And cover my ears. He isn't anywhere near the melody of Brian McKnight's "One Last Cry." He misses high. He misses low. Sometimes it sounds like he's got the right notes, they're just to a different song. Randy thinks it was pitchy, but ambitious. Paula didn't hear pitchy at all. Then again, she also isn't hearing music or performances or the crowd. She is hearing voices, but that's something else entirely. Her fillings are talking to her. Simon would have switched the microphone off at a karaoke bar.

On the night's final performance, Vonzell breaks into the Whitney Houston bank for "I Have Nothing." This is probably Vonzell's best performance and, like Carrie, she looks better because of how pathetic this night has been. Randy says she was the bomb and that it was a hot show. Paula is confused because Vonzell sang even higher than Whitney. Paula may also be confused because she's seeing a small goat coming out of Ryan's head. Don't laugh. It would freak you out, too. Simon agrees that Vonzell pulled it off.

After eliminating women the past two weeks, a man -- specifically Anthony or Scott -- will probably be in trouble on Wednesday, with Jessica a likely bet to slide down to join them in the Bottom Three.

Perhaps, though, viewers will just find a way to eliminate Paula. Don't worry about her. She's feeling no pain.

Musical Chores: 'Idol' Singers Attempt Show Tunes

By Daniel Fienberg

final9_americanidol4_240.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) On March 27, esteemed New York Times theater critic Ben Brantley wrote a column about how "American Idol" had destroyed the legitimate Broadway musical. On Tuesday, April 5, "American Idol" sets out to prove that if Brantley wasn't right to begin with, he sure is now. It's Show Tunes Night on "Idol" and boy are my ears tired.

Scott Savol doesn't know too much about musicals, but his momma told him about a musical called "Man of La Mancha" about a guy named Don Quixote. Now, Scott also doesn't know much about Don Quixote either, but he knows about listening to his momma. It's listening to his baby momma's momma that he has problems with. Scott's frequently sharp on "Dream the Impossible Dream," over-relying on a faltering vibrato and an off-pitch falsetto. Richard Kiley will be the first of many Broadway icons to flip in their tombs tonight. Paula's clapping and nodding and grinning. Randy, though, notes that it's a tough song to sing. He says Scott was pitchy at first and that it was just aight. Paula, mercifully speaking in a complete sentence, says that it's heartfelt and personal, reflecting his life. I don't recall anything in the song about threatening your baby momma, but I'll listen harder next time. Simon says it was merely ordinary. Those anger management classes are paying off for Scott, as he just nods through the criticisms.

The reason why they've never done a Musical Night on "American Idol" is because your basic pop star or mere thespian can't just sign on for a show and expect to be able to stand up to the complex melodies. Check out Madonna in "Evita" or Gerard Butler in "Phantom of the Opera" for a couple recent cinematic examples. Throw in the fact that your basic musical star also has to deliver a convincing dramatic performance, handle often intricate blocking and occasionally even break into dance and you have a sense of why this night is really about watching apples do flimsy impressions of oranges.

Tonight's theme should be right in Constantine Maroulis' classically trained wheelhouse. There's no point in saying that his take on "My Funny Valentine" doesn't measure up to any of the classic recordings of the song, or in wondering about the odd stink-eye he's giving the camera. Vocally, this is the least I've disliked him for weeks. Even though he murders the last note, he's totally acceptable. Randy is glad that Constantine has abandoned his rocker pose and he calls it unbelievable. Paula's falling in love with him.

"The first step is admitting it," she says of her lust, speaking like a veteran 12-Stepper. Now if only she would deal with some of those other addictions, the ones that have turned her from an innocuous pest into a genuine liability in recent weeks. She also says that Constantine is the perfect person to introduce guys to musical songs. Here's where I want Chet Baker to come knock Paula silly.

Simon gives Constantine's vocals a seven and his pouting a nine-and-a-half.

Carrie Underwood is from Oklahoma. As much as I'd love her to sing "I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No," she goes with a swinging, up-beat arrangement of "Hello, Young Lovers." She sounds quite fine, with a little country twang slipping onto the end of each phrase. Randy, showing an absence of taste, calls it a really boring song, but raves that Carrie sang it brilliantly anyway. Either Gertrude Lawrence or Marni Nixon needs to come kick some butt. It would be more interesting, though, if the late Ms. Lawrence did the deed. Paula's strikingly lucid this week, but she still isn't saying anything meaningful. Simon somehow compares it to watching a 1965 washing powder commercial. Nobody has a clue what he's talking about, but he clarifies that Carrie was too old fashioned.

Vonzell Solomon sings "People" from "Funny Girl," a choice that probably has Mikalah Gordon smearing her eye-liner in rage. She seems to be pushing the notes, but she finds all the important ones, even overcoming an extra-loud arrangement with a powerhouse final note. She keeps getting better for Randy, who posits that between Vonzell and Carrie, a woman might actually win. Paula says Vonzell sang it better than Babs, but I'm not sure I care what she says anymore. Simon thought it was good by Vonzell's standards, but still clinical and cold.

"Climb Ev'ry Mountain" is Anthony Fedorov's choice. Like every other song he's sung this competition, it's all about how many obstacles he's overcome. In case you haven't heard, he's an immigrant and he once couldn't breathe. But don't worry. He'll remind us again several more times if he can make it through to another week. He shouldn't. The song starts off too low for him and he sounds horrid. It gets comfortable in the middle and he actually hits several notes the way they were meant to sound, but an embarrassing conclusion cancels out anything mediocre in-between. Randy says that it was sharp and flat all over the place. I'm covering my ears and ignoring Paula.

"Hideous," is Simon's apt response. Rather than asking what Simon's problems were, Ryan skips to Anthony's call-in number.

Nikko Smith goes with "One Hand, One Heart" from "West Side Story." He's looking natty and old-fashioned, but offers a respectably smooth performance. He's forced to do a duet with an off-screen woman and has harmony problems. Despite his attire, Randy says that Nikko always keeps it contemporary. Paula is, was and will be. She is the walrus. Simon suggests that all of the singers are trying to salvage so-so performances with big notes at the end (something Brantley pointed out in his article).

This is a good theme for music teacher Anwar Robinson. "If Ever I Would Leave You" lets the early favorite snap out of his recent malaise. This is the best he's been since the Final 12 began, as he puts his own stamp on the song. This is the first time tonight I haven't wished I was just listening to a Broadway cast recording. Randy welcomes Anwar back, telling him he's one of the best singers in the competition. Paula boldly declares that Anwar's technically the best singer on the stage, which means he's better than Ryan Seacrest, I guess. Simon just mutters that Anwar seems comfortable.

"Pippin" is a difficult musical and "Corner of the Sky" is an incredibly tough song to sing. Bo Bice claims he made his selection by closing his eyes and pointing at the page. He probably should have gone back and picked again after listening to it. That Bo gives the best rendition of the song that I can imagine him giving isn't saying much at all. It mostly accentuates his vocal limitations, rather than showing his flexibility with odd themes. Randy thinks Bo's consistently great. Paula talks. I bet she can see her words above her head in thought bubbles. Simon calls it a mess and warns Bo that he may be heading in the wrong direction.

The final performance is Nadia Turner's take on "As Long as He Needs Me," a song she misinterprets thematically. She's working the finger-in-the-socket look more than usual tonight, but still looks confident and stunning. Nadia's vocals are impressive given that I usually undervalue her pipes in favor of her presence. Randy merely calls it a great performance. Simon dubs it the best Nadia's sounded in weeks and asks Ryan not to choose the themes anymore. Nobody laughs.

Back in 1993, I co-directed a summer camp production of "Guys and Dolls" during a stomach flu epidemic. Between songs, my Sky Masterson, a 12-year-old kid, was off in the bushes throwing up. He was better that night than Anthony Fedorov was tonight.

That being said, Anthony may be spared by Scott's tough-to-beat combination of poor performance and freshly uncovered allegations of past domestic assault. If Scott's young fans aren't quick to forgive, he could be heading home on Wednesday.

Guest XandraSkye

I thought last night was really boring. But I'm not big on musicals so that might have something to do with it.

I think Scott or Anthony will be going home. But with the news coming out about his arrest I have a feeling it will be Scott because I'm sure he'll lose a lot of fans over that.

Guest XandraSkye

I love reading the 'Watercooler' comments on TV Guide.com so I thought I'd share them today because I think they are especially funny.

American Idol

So you wanna know the only thing worse than show tunes? Classic show tunes. Ugh. This isn't a theme night. It's a theme nightmare. And I'm sure I'll lose my membership for saying this, but what Mary thought anyone would want to hear songs that are best suited to high-school stages or piano bars filled with tired old hags and the men they'll never be able to "fix"? Good lord. Let's just all cross our fingers that next week finds the kids taking on music that, I don't know, was maybe written after their oldest siblings were conceived. Or at least back when Simon's shirts actually fit him, OK? As for our bottom three, I'm thinking all boys again: a blond, a braided and an abuser. Though you never know. We could be seeing a certain funky diva saying goodbye. Which means that Pepito the Wonder Chihuahua will also be hearing a few choice words not meant for his oversize ears. And that would be a shame for all of us.

Scott Savol: Forget the bad press

Last nights show is ironic in that Simons critiques are very often something like, "That sounded like a bad caberet act", or "You are best suited for Broadway, not a recording studio."He is forever telling the younger ones to not choose songs that are so "old." He doesn't like the older "karoke" tunes.

Yet, last nights theme was all of the above and best suited for the Barbra Streisand era.

Simon Bashes Broadway Selections

AccessHollywood

"American Idol" contestants gave their regards to Broadway with an evening of show tunes that allowed some to shine brighter than ever but left judge Simon Cowell in an especially foul mood.

"I know what it is ... he doesn't like these kinds of songs," Randy Jackson said of his cohort after Cowell slammed singer after singer Tuesday night, even describing Anthony Fedorov's version of "Climb Every Mountain" as "hideous."

Young fans of Fox's "American Idol" might have felt as cheated as the sharp-tongued Brit: Tuesday night's tunes were classics, but probably not playing on a teenager's iPod near you.

One song, "My Funny Valentine," was part of the 1937 Richard Rodgers-Lorenz Hart musical "Babes in Arms." The vintage didn't stop Constantine Maroulis from picking it or wowing judges Jackson and Paula Abdul.

"This, dude, is the best you've ever sang anything," enthused Jackson. A smitten Abdul confessed, on live television, "I admit I'm falling in love with you."

Simon grudgingly gave the vocal "a seven," about the strongest praise he could muster Tuesday. He called Scott Savol's rendition of "The Impossible Dream" merely "ordinary" and deemed Bo Bice's "Corner of the Sky" to be "a mess."

Some contestants admitted they were unfamiliar with tunes they'd chosen, Vonzell Solomon among them. She still delivered a flawless take on the Barbra Streisand anthem, "People."

Other standouts included Anwar Robinson with "If Ever I Would Leave You" and head-turner Nadia Turner's gloriously theatrical version of "As Long as He Needs Me."

Robinson and Turner, surprisingly, were among the contestants who drew the lowest number of votes from viewers last week, with lowest-ranked Jessica Sierra getting bounced from the contest.

Regardless of who leaves the show Wednesday night, it looks like we know where Cowell stands on old Broadway.

• 4 weeks later...

'Idol' Singers Compete on 'Family Feud'

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ten former "American Idol" contestants are involved in a very different kind of competition this week. The singers, including last season's runner-up, Diana DeGarmo, are appearing on "Family Feud," the syndicated game show.

"It was so much fun. It felt like we were right back on the 'American Idol' again, living and breathing each moment together," DeGarmo, a high school senior in Snellville, Ga., said of the already filmed show.

The contestants are divided by gender. Besides DeGarmo, the female team includes Julia DeMato, Amy Adams, Vanessa Olivarez and Kimberley Locke. Ricky Smith, A.J. Gil, Jon Peter Lewis, George Huff and Matt Rogers are on the men's side.

They're competing all week on the series hosted by Richard Karn.

DeGarmo, who finished second on "American Idol" behind winner Fantasia Barrino last year, has kept up with the Fox program this season. "At first it was kind of hard to watch it because it seems like it was just yesterday ... it's kind of odd not to see myself with it," said DeGarmo, who turns 18 next month.

School hasn't kept her from nurturing her music career with performances and a trip to the Grammy Awards. On a February visit to Germany with President Bush, DeGarmo sang for U.S. troops.

She had a very personal interest in that concert: DeGarmo said her brother, David Evans, 29, is an Army captain serving in Iraq.

K, Im watching this crap as I type this...'Flunkies on Fued' would be an appropriate title :?

Phone numbers wrong again on American Idol 4, this time in the closed captioning.

Once again, American Idol 4's broadcast showed incorrect phone numbers for three of the contestants. As Ryan read did his little host chat with Anthony, Bo, and Vonzell, Reality TV Magazine reports that the closed captioning showed 1-866-IDOLS-01 -- Carrie Underwood's number -- instead of the contestant-specific number. The text voting number appeared to be correct for those three contestants, and the mistake only appeared in the closed captioning.

Of course, this begs the question: How many people who can't hear well enough and need closed captioning watch a singing competition and then vote? Just how accurate is the closed captioning, which is notoriously bad on other live programs? And do the closed captions say things like, "sound of a chicken being strangled" as Anthony Federov is singing?

-Andy Dehnert

Guest ranster627

I find closed-captioning so frustrating and erratic ... I have had to rely on it many times due to extreme hearing difficulties at times ...

Funny thing is, there was no outcry over this error at all ... where was the ADA on this one? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

'American Idol' Contestants Face Off

By DAVID BAUDER

AP Television Writer

bocarrie2ll.jpg

Bo Bice, left, and Carrie Underwood, both finalists

in the 'American Idol' show hug each other after

their final at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles,

Tuesday, May 24, 2005.

NEW YORK - Long-locked Alabama rocker Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood, the country fan from Oklahoma, squared off with soaring ballads and gospel choirs in the "American Idol" finals Tuesday.

Millions of voters will decide whether Bice's audacious claim of one of Underwood's songs will trump Simon Cowell's last-minute endorsement of her. The winner of the nation's most popular talent contest will be announced on Fox Wednesday.

carrieandbo8xu.jpg

Bice, from Helena, Ala., wanted to bring some rock 'n' roll street cred to the competition. He looked every bit the hippie with his flowing white shirt, red sunglasses and shoulder-length hair on his opening song, an original called "The Long Long Road."

It almost backfired. Cowell called it a "very dreary song" and said Bice, 29, looked like his chemistry teacher. "You're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that to walk away with this title," he said.

He rebounded with a more rousing Chicago number and later sang "Inside Your Heaven," a song Underwood had performed only minutes earlier. It was a gutsy choice, giving voters a chance to compare him directly with his competitor on the same song.

Judge Randy Jackson declared Bice "forever in my dog pound" and Cowell thought he outsang Underwood.

Underwood, a 22-year-old college senior from Checotah, Okla., has made plain her love of country music and sang Martina McBride's "Independence Day" among her final three songs.

bocarrie18ch.jpg

Easy-to-please judge Paula Abdul liked

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

American Idol

Whooo hooo!! Waaahhhh!!!! Oohhhh mmmmmyyyy gggaawwwdddd!!!

See? Just like being at the Kodak Theatre. All we're missing is a sign that says "Bice is Twice as Nice!" and a pair of Underwood Underoos flying toward the stage. And maybe ear plugs. Seriously, for the first half of the big two-night showdown, they sure weren't skimping on the schmaltz with the originals. Cripes, it was all the final two could do to keep from spontaneously bursting into Hallmark greeting cards. Thankfully, they also got to reprise one of the songs they covered during the season, so at least there was a break from the badness. And since Bo and Carrie both give me the happies

From the 'Hot List' on TVGuide.com:

American Idol

8 pm/ET, FOX

It's all over but the singing. And in tonight's part of this week's two-night Idol finale, we'll be hearing a lot from finalists Bo and Carrie when they take the stage to perform original songs penned just for the occasion. So listen closely, folks. Not only is this our last chance to vote, but whichever tune they work the best will be the winner's first single. Hopefully, it'll be more "A Moment Like This" than the forgettable "Flying Without Wings."

Guest Tigress61

Bo was best, but put cash on Carrie

With Simon on her side, pitch-challenged country girl will top rocker for

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

variety_logo100x24.jpg

'Celebrity Idol' Wishes on Stars

by Josef Adalian

TV's top-rated reality show is getting the star treatment, with Fox closing in on a deal for a celebrity spinoff of "American Idol." 'Idol' producers FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment are behind the project, which Fox reality guru Mike Darnell said would be broadcast as a 10-episode "event" over the course of two or three weeks. The new TV reality series - dubbed "Celebrity Idol" - will feature 10 well-known faces competing for charity, with the winner getting $1 million for his or her pet cause.

While there's no official airdate yet, Darnell said the series could air "sooner rather than later," and an early fall or November sweeps premiere seems logical. Original 'Idol' production team of Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe, Cecile Frot-Coutaz and Ken Warwick are all set to produce the star edition.

When asked about the participation of judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson, as well as host Ryan Seacrest, Darnell said it's "our hope that the judges and Ryan will do the show." Snagging A-list talent for reality shows has been difficult for networks in the past, though ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" has become a hit with its collection of soap opera, sitcom and sports stars.

'Biggest Talent Possible'

Nonetheless, "We're going to go for the biggest talent possible," Darnell said, promising a very "open policy" toward casting. "We're looking for people who can sing but aren't known for singing," he said.

Darnell added that the plan is to make "Celebrity Idol" feel "completely disconnected from 'American Idol.'" "It's all being done for fun and charity. We want the celebrities to have a ball with it," he added.

That will mean no celebrity auditions or weekly results show; likewise, the judges will have no say in who goes forward. Viewers will still vote by phone, but results will be given on the next performance episode, with one celeb leaving each night. By scheduling the show as a two- or three-week miniseries of sorts, Darnell and the producers hope to further distinguish "Celebrity Idol" from the original.

Annual Event?

"Because it's being scheduled this way, we hope it becomes more of a special, hopefully one that is an annual event," he said. That's key, because producers and the agencies that packaged 'Idol' - CAA and William Morris - have long been vigilant about protecting the franchise from overexposure. Fox airs 'Idol' only once a year over a five-month frame.

Idea for "Celebrity Idol" came from the producers, Darnell said, adding that the show has been mulled for years and has been in active development "for several months." NBC recently confirmed plans for its own celebrity singing competition, "I'm a Celebrity but I Want to Be a Pop Star" (Daily Variety, June 20). Entry of Fox's 800-lb. gorilla will no doubt increase the pressure on the Peacock and producers Granada America to cast their project and get it on the air quickly.

• 1 month later...

AH_logo_100x50.jpg

'American Idol' Audition Dates Announced

040803_Idol_HMed_1p.hmedium.jpg

Thousands of 'American Idol' hopefuls line up outside in cities all over

the United States waiting for their chance to audition for the popular

television show.

Calling all 'Idol' wannabes

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name