Top 8 males perform

Dade

Who do you like? Who don't you like? Are the right ones still there? Getting closer to the finalists. (top 6 males and top 6 females)

Lee - there's something I like about this guy. I like the quality of his voice. He did have a couple of "off" notes, but overall good. Nothing a recording studio can't fix.

Damn lightning knocked the power out just as I was posting......

Anyway, as I was about to say:

Alex - I am really starting to like this kid, and I hope he stays. He so needs to chill out and relax more, and if he does, he's gonna be a contender.

Tim - I LOVE that song, and I hate that he did it. He was better than usual, but I could have lived without ever hearing his version.

Andrew - about halfway thru our local fox station went off the air - storm crap I guess. I was liking it up until it went off, so not sure how the middle and ending was. Hope the station comes back soon, as I'd kinda like to see the rest of the show.

After 15 minutes of nothing, I checked online, and our Fox station's broadcast tower had a major lightning strike - oops. They are trying to get it fixed and say they will rebroadcast Idol later.

We started with 12 but tonight only 8 are left standing. Michael. Casey. Todrick. Tim. Andrew. Lee. Alex. And Aaron. These are the guys and they are ready to deliver, because this is American Idol!

It is time for the gentlemen to take the stage. But first, please welcome our judges: Randy, Ellen, Kara and Simon. Why are you so close this year? Kara says Simon is leaning on her because he's not with his fiance. Tonight is a big deal for the guys - they are going for a spot in the top twelve.

First up is Lee DeWyze singing Fireflies (Owl City). With the acoustic guitar around his neck, he had the audience clapping from the start with a strong opening performance. His vocals are not pure - his voice is more suited to grunge than pop, but it was good. Randy said there were a couple pitch problems and a strange song choice but he made it work, it worked out. Ellen said she liked that he made it a little rock, the pitch problems don't matter much, people have crushes on him. Kara said he looked confident tonight and that is what they have been waiting for, to step up, he made the song better with his interpretation, the production value is what made that song really big and it was a solid job, but not his best moment. Simon said there is nothing to rave about - there was no moment; he is better than that performance - but his progress over the last three weeks should put him through the top twelve.

Hoping for equal praise is Alex Lambert, singing "Trouble" (Ray LaMontagne). Trouble is what Alex cold find himself in. The vocals were OK but his onstage inexperience is standing in the way of his connecting with the audience. Don't bite your lip and don't sing in a such an upper key. Randy said it was a good song choice with that Otis Redding vibe, he liked it but wasn't jumping up and down, maybe slow it down. Ellen said he is becoming a mushy banana, ripening so fast; he is consistently getting better and better every week and his innocence makes him so sweet and honest, but don't become a cocky banana. Kara said the only thing standing in the way of his winning is himself; he is still stiff and not letting go, he needs to be vulnerable, in the moment, to let go. Simon agreed, saying he has to find another place mentally, he is not relaxed having a good time, imagine Randy in a bikini or something, stop staring down the lens and concentrating on the camera, he has a really good, distinct voice but he has to get out of his head.

Rolling along is Patrick Fugit look alike, Tim Urban, singing "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen). This was a good performance, just a solid vocal and his acoustic guitar, taking an emotional song and making a confident, emotional connection with the audience. I wish it had ended with a little more energy though. Randy said he walked in some pretty big shoes with that song and did a pretty good job. Ellen says she has been so hard on him, but she has to do this right now; she gets up and goes on stage to hug him, saying he sounded so good. Kara said she thought he was going home a few weeks ago but now thinks he is back in it, the top boys, it was an honest interpretation, it is all about the beauty and honest emotion. Simon said he feels responsible for him doing well after giving him the complement last week, very smart with the song, a song that reacts, not the best version he's ever heard but by far the strongest performance given so far.

Closing out the first half hour is Andrew Garcia, singing "Genie In a Bottle" (Christina Aguilera). Also with his acoustic guitar, he is up tempo, clear and affectionate with his vocal with the audience clapping along. This performance had no pretense and that may be what it was lacking, an over the top slam down rock version but it wasn't there. Randy said it was an interesting song choice, it was good idea but a little pitchy all over the place, he made it feel like the whole song was just 3 notes, no range to it, it didn't go anywhere. Ellen said it was a great song choice and that is what he needed to do, the end was the biggest surprise but the genie came out of the bottle a little too late but people will love that. Kara said he peeked so early and he has been chasing it ever since, he was fighting with the rhythm of the guitar and she couldn't hear the melody until the very end. Simon said it came over that he was trying to work out what he needed to do but it was a little desperate, he didn't seem comfortable, over-thought again, still going backwards.

Leading off the second act is Casey James, singing "You'll Think of Me" (Keith Urban). Unplugged and acoustic with his shirt unbuttoned as low as Simon's, this was a boring performance. By the time he hit the chorus I was already checking email and my twitter account (FuskieBP). It wasn't a bad vocal but it seemed he really wasn't into it. Randy said it was a bit of a safe choice, don't pull away from the vocals, he is more edgy and should go for it, it wasn't amazing, just all right. Ellen thought it was great, he is more comfortable sitting on the stool and playing guitar, that is his vibe and he sounded great. Kara said she is kind of back on the Casey train, it was better than last week but she is missing that spark and she needs to see more from him. Simon said it was his second best, better than last week but not better than the first week, he seemed sincere but in 24 hours no one will be raving about it, although he sounded great.

Up next is Aaron Kelly, singing "I'm Already There" (Lonestar). Maybe it was the octave in which he was singing, but it started off tentative and maybe a bit off pitch. It was a bigger song than his performance could bring to it and there seemed to be some kind of warble to his vocal. Randy said he has the makings of a great, he is really young and it is coming in, but he needs to work on his lower notes; when he hits his power vocals, wow, he can sing. Ellen said the way he carries himself it isn't posing, he stands with the confidence of a 30 year old, that was a tough song, a little too much and it wasn't terrific. Kara said each week he gives it his all, but that song is about an adult calling home to talk to his kids and he is only 16. Simon said that is rubbish, it was the right type of song for him compared to last week, not a great vocal but it had emotion and he was trying hard; we (the judges) have to stop telling them what they can't do.

Hoping to win your vote is Todrick Hall, singing "Somebody To Love" (Queen). In jeans, rubber wading boots, a wool jacket and opening in a falsetto, he quickly drops octave and begins performing but I didn't feel the energy in it, the vocal seemed confined where I was expecting there to be more dimensionality, soul. Randy said Todrick is back, he proved he can really sing, that was one of the best vocals by a man all night and the last couple of weeks. Ellen said he is a brave, brave young man and he made it almost like a gospel song, she wishes he had committed to that but he did a good job. Kara said you can't listen to that and not say it was good singing, but it was so dramatic she didn't know at times whether to smile or laugh, but the singing was good. Simon said it was good in parts but not all the way through, he is a Broadway singer and not a recording artist, but at least he made an attempt to perform, a good song choice and it may have saved him.

Closing out tonight's show is Michael Lynche, singing "This Woman's Work" (Kate Bush). Going from a man song to a woman song with an opening falsetto and dressed in a coat and tie and jeans, I can't say I got the song, maybe its because I don't have kids, but his vocal strong and clear as he let out a huge note at the end before finishing back in his falsetto. Randy said dog, yo, wait a minute, really? Really, Really? I got to give it to you again, this is really crazy, it was dope and unbelievable, that lost note, to hear that chord, it was hot. Ellen said OMG, that was so beautiful and it feels like the show just began, he is the one to beat now. Kara said he has never cried, but after hearing something like that, as a woman I can relate and it brought me to tears. Simon said this was so needed tonight, an incredibly difficult song to sing and he nailed it and the best performance of all the live shows so far.

Fuskie

Whose favorites in no particular order were Lee DeWyze, Tim Urban, Michael Lynche and Andrew Garcia...

lee- not very good. did anyone understand the words?

alex-ok vocals i want blown away by it . like last week much better

tim- wow his best performance yet. but the eyes looking into camera bugs me to death. i liked both lacey n tim in same week wtf is going on . am i sick?

andrew- didnt like beginning vocals but got ok towards end as he got more confident with song. i agree with kara he was fighting rhythm of guitar. too many guitars for me

casey- ok vocals i wasnt blown away but i didnt completely hate it. safe performance overall

aaron- train wreck . song was too big for him . only good thing was he didnt play guitar like rest. reminds me of kids forced by his parent to sing

toddrick-took risk. love when they take a risk n deliver.very good performance . his best yet by a mile. the broadway comment reminded me of a guy last year. i wonder who is that guy

michael- still overrated for me . too indulgent for me . karaoke to fullest. can kara fake cry any more

best

1. toddrick

2.tim

3.casey

4.alex

5.andrew

6. big mike

7.lee

8.aaron

worst

booted : alex n toddrick again another tough week to predict who goes

Lee - there's something I like about this guy. I like the quality of his voice. He did have a couple of "off" notes, but overall good. Nothing a recording studio can't fix.

yep Sugar, I only saw the 1st 3, am not happy, they did say they would re broadcast but don't know when, it isn't even a bad storm. I am happy it did not happen on the girls night tho

I am going back to Final Fantasy.lol

Just me and my 15 yr old daughter tonight. (Keith is W.O.W.'ing :lol: and younger ones had to go to bed.)

So, here's our opinions before the judges critique.

Me=green Sadie=blue

Lee- Was "okay" nothing special. One of my favorite songs on the radio right now and he murdered it. Hate his voice.

Alex- I really like the tone of his voice, one of my favorite guys but, if his performance/confidence doesn't improve I'm afraid he won't make it very far. Okay voice, boring performance.

Tim- Best I've seen from him. What we should have been hearing all along. Best performance ever, he really stepped it up. Showed us what he could be.

Andrew- What was he thinking??? Stooopid song choice, voice was off too. Worst performance to date. Step down in competition @ least two levels.

Casey- YES... He's back! Heard the tone I appreciate. He's got this sensitive rocker thing going on. Made me think of a Kid Rock but, smoother. GOOD!

Aaron- Pitchy. Voice just isn't experienced enough. Lonestar is hard to tackle and he failed, imo. Haven't liked him one bit until this performance. But, we don't need another Archuletta.

Toddrick- WOW!!! Amazing opening vocals, high range was perfect. Vocals were awesome throughout and I really like this guy. Pretty good and I like him but, it didn't WOW me.

Mike- Didn't realize what a good voice he has but, I was bored and I think he's been way overrated by the judges. Haven't heard what they've said yet but, with the pimp spot I can guess they'll gush. Pretty good voice but, the performance didn't move him up a level in my book.

Top 3 = Toddrick, Alex and Casey.

Bottom = Aaron, Andrew, Lee

Booted= Aaron, Lee

... can kara fake cry any more

uvp, it's interesting that you say that. My 15 yr old made me rewind the TiVo so, I could see how Kara "fake" cried for that critique.

uvp, it's interesting that you say that. My 15 yr old made me rewind the TiVo so, I could see how Kara "fake" cried for that critique.

lol it was hard to watch

she is so desperate to have an idol identity

Only 3 performances impressed me tonight and rest varied between ok and horrible.

lee- I don't know what the judges are hearing but his vocals were really off in parts tonight...and I liked the guy til now.

alex- He definitely keeps improving each week and I thought he was pretty good- his voice is definitely unique and I kinda like it...but I don't think I'd ever buy a cd of his.

tim- I absolutely love that song and he totally ruined it for me. And I really HATE his deer in the headlights look. I agree that it was his best vocal performance so far- but that's not saying anything! Don't encourage him, Ellen. He needs to go home NOW. (VFTW is doing their best to keep him in though. grr.)

andrew- I hated the song choice- the words are definitely suited more for a female. Weird! The vocals were just ok. I was disappointed because I usually really like him.

casey- My favorite performance of his- it was an honest, subdued performance with great vocals. Loved it!

aaron- "train wreck . song was too big for him . only good thing was he didnt play guitar like rest. reminds me of kids forced by his parent to sing."- I couldn't agree with you more on this one, UVP!

toddrick- Big risk- nice payoff! When I heard what he was going to perform I pretty much thought he was crazy. Although he's definitely no Freddie Mercury (or Adam Lambert), he didn't try to be. Loved the beginning and ending, not so crazy about the middle but he worked his way up into my top 3 of the night. I wonder if it was enough to save him.

michael- Definitely not overrated for me- LOVED IT! Best performance of the night and he deserved the accolades he received from the judges...but not Kara's fake "I wanna be Paula" tears.

best

1. Mike

2. Casey

3. Toddrick

4. Alex

5. Andrew

6. Lee

7. Tim

8. Aaron

worst

If I had to guess, I'd say Aaron and Toddrick will go home but If I could choose, it would be Tim and Aaron.

Casey, Lee and Michael. Casey is a very young-looking 27-year old. For me, it isn't that they are consistently good so much as it is I can see them with a career apart from AI. I agree with Simon that Todrick is broadway (I was thinking cruise ship but broadway is the same thing). None of them are fabulous. I had high hopes for Kara DioGuardi but she is morphing into a strange rendition of Paula Abdul. Lee is my fav of the guys.

My biggest disappointment of the night . . . Simon Cowell and his hypocrisy. He cuts Kara off while she's talking about Aaron's song choice and his connection to the song and basically tells her she's full of cr@p. Hasn't Simon said this exact same thing a thousand times? I was thinking the same thing as Kara while Aaron was singing. He seemed more like the son in that song than the father. It was weird for me.

Lee wasn't at his best, but he's still my fav. What is happening to Andrew?? Get a grip man.

I have to love Michael Lynche- he's the "hometown boy" here- He grew up in St Pete. And he's good!

I like Aaron's voice. Its probably good for me that I don't know some of the songs so I have nothing to compare to.

I liked Alex' voice too- again, I didn't know the song.

I love "Hallelujah"- I love Rufus Wainwright singing it. I love Leonard Cohen who wrote it sing it (Did anyone go to his latest concert or see him on a few recent PBS specials? A strange man bur such a good songwriter IMO - age showing again!) . I didn't love Tim singing it.

Lee, Andrew Casey- forgettable

Todrick- Don't know what to make of him. Good voice. Lots of theatricality. Lots of ambition. Will do fine in the real world.

Kara- Annoying to say the least. She has so much knowledge that if she would only let go of Simon (literally) and pay attention and be respectful she might avoid becoming another Paula. i loved that her body language was addressed though. It needed to be. She doesn't need him to make her legitimate or saexy or whatever the heck she's trying to do by fawning all over him.

Randy- He's finally making sense and being a useful critic. Good for us. Good for him.

Ellen- just entertainment.

Simon- when he gets engaged he's the most helpful but that's happening less and less frequently so he's becoming more and more unnecessary to the show- maybe that's what happens when one decides to leave a show( a job, a marriage, whatever).

My biggest disappointment of the night . . . Simon Cowell and his hypocrisy. He cuts Kara off while she's talking about Aaron's song choice and his connection to the song and basically tells her she's full of cr@p. Hasn't Simon said this exact same thing a thousand times?

lol i found that exchange funny as well and thought same about simon that he too as done same to younger singers

I thought the show was pretty good last night, there's still no one that can compare to my Adam. :wub:

Lee - I thought it was ok. I really like his voice but I still think he was better in Hollywood, I hope he gets through, though.

Alex - I love his voice! And I totally agree with Simon about him improving every week, he keeps getting better and better imo. I hope he makes it!

Tim - He sounded awful, I really hope he finally goes home tonight! And idk, I sort of hate it when people sing that song. It's not that I don't like the song; it just reminds me of Shrek so I can't take anyone seriously when they sing it. :lol:

Andrew - I still love him but I feel like the pressure to live up to Hollywood week is really getting to him. :( He's so good and I think he's just over-thinking his performances. I really hope if he makes it through that he can relax and just have fun, that's what made me fall in love with him in the first place!

Casey - He's really growing on me! I think he's got a great voice and he's actually a performer rather than just a singer. I hope he makes it through!

Aaron - Yeesh! This was not good! He didn't sound good at all imo, I like him but I won't be too sad if he's gone.

Toddrick - I kind of love him! I think he's got a great voice(maybe it's because I love Broadway?) and I've loved almost every performance for him so far. I actually voted for him last night and I hope he gets through!

Big Mike - I didn't really get the hype. When he sings all I see is a light-skinned Ruben Studdard, and his voice isn't even as good as Ruben's imo! I think he's a really sweet, adorable guy but I do not see him as the American Idol at all. I do hope he makes it through tonight, though.