Episode 6.15: "Across the Sea"

kayo

According to DarkUFO, the title of episode 15 is "Across the Sea". At this point it is rumored to be MIB and Jacob centric!

Casting News

[LAUREN] Mediterranean looks, early to mid 20s... Attractive. Finds strength through desperation. Confident and maternal. CO-STAR.

[RYAN] Caucasian.. blond, 9 years-old to play 8, kind and shy. He has to take a test and is chastised for not being as good as the other kids... NICE CO-STAR.

[sEAN] Caucasian, dark hair, 9 years-old to play 8. Curious and rebellious, has an independent spirit sptv050769... NICE CO-STAR.

[MATT] Caucasian, dark hair, 12-14, dark hair, defiant and rebellious. Wise and smart but fights with other boys. He

• 2 months later...

Lost (ABC, 9pm) - The mystery Island is finally explained in an episode telling the backstory of the enigmatic figures who represent good and evil, Jacob and the Man in Black.

Where does one even begin with this episode...I still can't figure out whether I loved it or hated it, that's how confused I am!

Ok, parts of it were great- Allison Janney as Crazy Mom was brilliant casting. She was perfect in the role. I don't think the crazy mom hairstyle will ever catch on in fashion circles though!

It was interesting to see that they really have had an idea where they were going with the show all along- with the "Bad Twin" manuscript that Sawyer (at least I think it was Sawyer...or maybe Hurley?) found from the plane in Season Two, the "Adam and Eve" skeletons and black and white stones that Jack found in the cave, and Locke's first encounter with the white light in season one ("I've looked into the eye of the island and what I saw was beautiful"). I actually wasn't surprised when she had twins and was almost expecting it.

What I hated: The new age-ish gobbedly gook that crazy mom spouted about the "little pieces of light in all of us". Say what? Please tell me this will get fleshed out enough in the final two episodes for us to grasp what she's talking about a bit more. I don't have to know everything- it is science fiction, after all-but I do hope there is a bit more of an explanation than what was given than her Disneyesque one.

One thing I think I pretty much grasped is that Crazy Mommy is actually a smoke monster or some other entity similar to SM. She knew WAY too much about the cave of light, including the fact that if you went in it it was "worse than death". There is also no way that that woman single-handedly killed all those people and covered up the well if she didn't have some amazing powers- or lots of help, at the very least. But the biggest thing that stood out was when MIB stabbed her from behind- she hadn't spoken a word to him AND then she thanked him for stabbing her... like he released her from something "worse than death". This would fit exactly with Dogen's admonition to Sayid that he had to stab Fake Locke before he said anything or it would be too late. :animated_scratchchin:

Also, it really looks like Jacob's brother (the one yet to be named, it seems)is dead- that is, his body is. His soul was absorbed into the SM/thing from the cave of light, so who we've seen interacting with Jacob previously ("do you know how bad I want to kill you?") really isn't his brother but the entity with pieces of MIB's soul in it....Locke's and others too, maybe?

I still have LOTS of questions though, such as:

Why did crazy mom and Claudia interact in Latin at first, only to start speaking English to each other?

How could the brother (MIB) just walk into that other camp and live with them for 30 years without them questioning who he was or where he came from?

I want more of crazy mom's backstory? Is this something that just keeps happening- a circular process?

When Crazy mom gave Jacob the drink that she said incantations over- what does "you're just like me now" mean? He's not the same as SM, so what does it mean exactly?

How was CM able to make them not be able to hurt each other? I want more of an explanation that "I made it so you can't hurt each other"!

All those are really awesome observations, questions and analysis kayo.

Maybe it's because I dropped out of watching Lost for 2 1/2 seasons and then caught back up before this one but, I've been lost for a LONG time now... and I just can't get rid of this "I'm being punk'd" by this show feeling. However, since it's the last season and I know they can't drag me down the rabbit hole for much longer... I'll hold on for 2 more eppy's. I'm sure I'm crazy for doing so though :lol:

I'll hold on for 2 more eppy's. I'm sure I'm crazy for doing so though

No you're not! I've never missed an episode since Jack's eye first popped open at the beginning of season one, so if you're crazy then I'm certifiably insane...and I just can't admit to that. ;)

I'm flying out this morning to attend the LOST final celebration at UCLA, so who knows? Maybe they'll give us some teasers- I know those attending are going to get a sneek preview from next week's episode after the concert AND Michael Emerson, Jorge Garcia, Nestor Carbonell and Damon and Carlton are going to be there too...woo hoo! I'll report back when I return. Gotta go finish packing and get some sleep...:bedtime:

How exciting kayo... looking forward to your report!!!

I second that CeCi I am looking forward to Kayo's report too! I, as well, have seen every single episode since the pilot, and can't wait to get the answers to all of my questions... and like always this episode answered some, but left me with others... I so hope the finale doesn't end that way, because if it does, then I will be crazy one! lol The end will be bittersweet, I can't wait to see how they wrap it up but will miss watching it every week...

Loved your insights Kayo!