How do we complain to CBS?

I actually don't think any of the pejudiced comments made by any of the house guests should be censored. I would just like to see all of them aired, not just a select few. On t.v. we have seen Janelle make a comment about Ivette and "getting off the boat" or something like that. Why had none of what Ivette is saying being aired? She signed on to be in Big Brother, she KNOWS she's being taped and recorded, if she chooses to speak in such a way it sould be shown. Let everyone see the bigot she is. That is my one big issue.

Racism and other forms of prejudice exist. We don't live in an ideal world. People actually talk this way to their family and friends. The reason I want it aired is because perhaps when someone hears how crass and disgusting she sounds it will make them think about what they sound like and reconsider laughing at jokes or making comments themselves.

I think Ivette and any other player should be left in the house. It is reality t.v. and unfortunately reality is ugly sometimes. CBS should make it clear they do not endorse what is being said but they shouldn't censor it. Sweeping prejudice under the rug does not eliminate it. All you are doing then is telling people its o.k. to actually be prejudiced just don't express those beliefs in public. Whether it is expressed or not prejudice is a fact in our society.

The only real way to combat prejudice is by shedding light on it, getting people to talk and exposing why it is wrong. This could be a great opportunity to do just that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bourbon
I think there is a difference in the frequency and severity of the comments.

So now you want to set guidelines as to what is "severe enough" to be considered discriminatory (be it against gays/iraqis etc..). There are no degrees when it comes to this matter. There is no gray area. If you're (you = anyone who takes issue with the comments made) so outraged by Ivette's comments then you should be equally upset with every other member of that house, because i guarantee they are all guilty of racial/gender/sexual discrimiation in one form or another.

If you think you can make rules stating what is an acceptable amount/form of discrimination, then i assure you that you're treading in all too familiar territory.

The simple fact is: There has always and will always be racism/sexism and a slew of other forms of bigotry. Either ignore it, or deal with it. Fighting it will slow its progress, but it just changes forms and continues on its merry little way.

Yes Ivette said some racist things, so have many others in the house. Are they in turn racists? not necessarily. You can all get off your collective high-horses, because she's not talking about YOU. She's directing her anger towards 1 person, and she chose to express it in that form. Anyone who claims they've never done the same is a hypocrite and a fool.

Just because doing something and talkinga bout racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice would be a long slow process does not mean you do nothing.

Writting to CBS and letting them know you care is good, this way the station knows people are paying attention and so will they. They need the ratings to make money. That said controversy is great for ratings so if anyone is looking for them to kick anyone out it's probably not going to happen.

Talking on these threads and expressing our outrage is good too. Sometimes it's easier to speak up when injustices occur when you know you are not the only one who feels something is wrong. Dialogue is one of the best ways to enact change. By staying quiet you give permission to injustice.

Lastly many of the houseguest are guilty of prejudiced remarks. There is no degrees of prejudice. It's all wrong. Whether it is whispered in the sauna of a country club, or openly screamed out in the streets it is just as wrong. At least when people are open about itthey can be confronted. The silent, under the surface types of prejudice are actually the most dangerous. How do you fight them?

Guest chyron1

The simple fact is:  There has always and will always be racism/sexism and a slew of other forms of bigotry. 

And if EVERYBODY thought that way and had that sort of attitude, we would NEVER be free of racism. Fortunately not everybody agrees, and although it's slower than I think it should be, racism is slowly being eradicated. It might a while, even centuries, but eventually people will be judged on their character, and not the color of their skin, their sexual preferences, or their religion.

(This is off-topic, sorry)

My *arrogance* can often be confused with my *passion*.

I guess it's true that our strongest points can also be our not-so great points at the same time. I'm usually very emathetic (empathetic enough that most of the time I can appreciate somebody's passionate nature) - I can also be extremely sensitive (sensitive in a bad way - sensitive enough to blurt out a comment to somebody about them being arrogant).

Guess these boards can bring out both the best and worst of us all - but isn't that what makes them so much fun :)

Bourbon wrote:

The simple fact is: There has always and will always be racism/sexism and a slew of other forms of bigotry.

Chyron1 wrote:

And if EVERYBODY thought that way and had that sort of attitude, we would NEVER be free of racism. Fortunately not everybody agrees, and although it's slower than I think it should be, racism is slowly being eradicated. It might a while, even centuries, but eventually people will be judged on their character, and not the color of their skin, their sexual preferences, or their religion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chyron1, I agree wholeheartedly with you. I wish it could go faster but equity is worth the fight even the smallest of steps in the right direction are major victories and worth every moment of the slow difficult struggle.

Guest Baby Boo
I actually don't think any of the pejudiced comments made by any of the house guests should be censored.  I would just like to see all of them aired, not just a select few.  On t.v. we have seen Janelle make a comment about Ivette and "getting off the boat" or something like that.  Why had none of what Ivette is saying being aired?  She signed on to be in Big Brother, she KNOWS she's being taped and recorded, if she chooses to speak in such a way it sould be shown.  Let everyone see the bigot she is.  That is my one big issue.

Racism and other forms of prejudice exist.  We don't live in an ideal world.  People actually talk this way to their family and friends.  The reason I want it aired is because perhaps when someone hears how crass and disgusting she sounds it will make them think about what they sound like and reconsider laughing at jokes or making comments themselves.

I think Ivette and any other player should be left in the house.  It is reality t.v. and unfortunately reality is ugly sometimes.  CBS should make it clear they do not endorse what is being said but they shouldn't censor it.  Sweeping prejudice under the rug does not eliminate it.  All you are doing then is telling people its o.k. to actually be prejudiced just don't express those beliefs in public.  Whether it is expressed or not prejudice is a fact in our society.

The only real way to combat prejudice is by shedding light on it, getting people to talk and exposing why it is wrong.  This could be a great opportunity to do just that.

I think that would also be a very good way for CBS to deal with the situation. My real problem is that not only are they not doing anything about her repeated racial slurs, but they are not showing even a hint of this side of her on the actual show. They aren't even giving the public a chance to judge what she is saying because they don't see it. I know that they cannot show most of the things she is saying on tv though because of FCC regulations, so that is why I think that they should take her out of the house and not let her use this as a way to promote racism, although I would mush prefer they show her for what she really is on the show.

Guest Bourbon

The simple fact is:  There has always and will always be racism/sexism and a slew of other forms of bigotry. 

Your naivety is hardly surprising. Hope is the banner of the unrealistic. It would be very nice to have a world free of bigotry, but that is a pipe-dream at best.

Of course you could try to control what people say, think, and do, but i believe a certain dictator already tried that in the past and it didn't work out too well.

Guest Baby Boo

So now you want to set guidelines as to what is "severe enough" to be considered discriminatory (be it against gays/iraqis etc..). There are no degrees when it comes to this matter. There is no gray area. If you're (you = anyone who takes issue with the comments made) so outraged by Ivette's comments then you should be equally upset with every other member of that house, because i guarantee they are all guilty of racial/gender/sexual discrimiation in one form or another.

If you think you can make rules stating what is an acceptable amount/form of discrimination, then i assure you that you're treading in all too familiar territory.

The simple fact is: There has always and will always be racism/sexism and a slew of other forms of bigotry. Either ignore it, or deal with it. Fighting it will slow its progress, but it just changes forms and continues on its merry little way.

Yes Ivette said some racist things, so have many others in the house. Are they in turn racists? not necessarily. You can all get off your collective high-horses, because she's not talking about YOU. She's directing her anger towards 1 person, and she chose to express it in that form. Anyone who claims they've never done the same is a hypocrite and a fool.

First of all I never said I didn't think the others shouldn't be reprimanded for their comments. That was something Sara-is-hot assumed. I do think those things they were saying were wrong and they should be given warnings and a chance to realize the things they are saying and stop, just as Ivette was. The fact that she continues to say these things shows that she doesn't care, and will continue saying horrible racist comments for no reason. I personally think CBS should do something about this instead of giving infinite warnings. And also I don't think it makes a difference that she is not talking about me personally. I don't think racism is is acceptable in any form and if everyone only cares if raceism affects them personally then it will for absolute certainty never end. I'd rather be idealist than sit there and think racism is fine as long as it is not directed at me.

Guest chyron1
(Guess these boards can bring out both the best and worst of us all - but isn't that what makes them so much fun :)

Don't worry about it, and what you said about bring out the best and worst is true. But so I am not misunderstood, I got into the name calling only AFTER a certain person kept using a word they were told was offensive. I then attacked *that* person. And there was another poster who basically agreed with that stance, and called me out of my screen name FIRST. I am of the opinion that if someone starts a fight, they then can't decide what weapons should be used, or how long the fight should last. Now that is said, I'll get off that subject and back on BB6.

Guest Bourbon

First of all I never said I didn't think the others shouldn't be reprimanded for their comments. That was something Sara-is-hot assumed. I do think those things they were saying were wrong and they should be given warnings and a chance to realize the things they are saying and stop, just as Ivette was. The fact that she continues to say these things shows that she doesn't care, and will continue saying horrible racist comments for no reason. I personally think CBS should do something about this instead of giving infinite warnings. And also I don't think it makes a difference that she is not talking about me personally. I don't think racism is is acceptable in any form and if everyone only cares if raceism affects them personally then it will for absolute certainty never end. I'd rather be idealist than sit there and think racism is fine as long as it is not directed at me.

I wasn't implying that you were fine with the other houseguests' comments, i simply used your quote as a starting point. Nor did i say that racism was ok if not directed at you. However i'm tired of people getting all indignant, and suddenly turning into "champions of racial honour" when someone utters a racial slur or two. At the same time they'll completely ignore a plethora of other injustices, because anti-racism is the "flavour of the month".

I wasn't implying that you were fine with the other houseguests' comments, i simply used your quote as a starting point. Nor did i say that racism was ok if not directed at you. However i'm tired of people getting all indignant, and suddenly turning into "champions of racial honour" when someone utters a racial slur or two. At the same time they'll completely ignore a plethora of other injustices, because anti-racism is the "flavour of the month".

Actually, its next month's flavour.

Thing is...

there is a big difference between calling somone a Jerk and a 'Sand N. Its naive to think some words arent as emotionally charged as others, because they are.

The point here is that Ivette's comments go beyond the '5 or so comments made in an unreasonable manner'. She has upped her insults every week and is really starting to worry others because of this excessive hate.

Well, that's my 3.5 cents

Guest Bourbon

There is also a big difference between calling a white person or a black person a "n". People choose their "slur-de-jour" based on whom they're speaking to. To the right person the word Jerk would be significantly more emotionally charged than sand n ever could be.

If the people at CBS are not going to reprimand her or kick her off the show, then they should at least not censor her or give us a cleaned image of her. That is not fair. She should not have her cake and eat it to.

I agree with SamtheTVwatchingCat, especially with the argument that CBS is privately owned thus being able to choose (within FCC limit) what is being aired on their channel. Just like Morty's TV forum can decide who cannot post here or what type of comments cannot be posted here.

Guest chyron1

Bourbon Said: Your naivety is hardly surprising. Hope is the banner of the unrealistic. It would be very nice to have a world free of bigotry, but that is a pipe-dream at best.

What you call naivety others call hope. There was a time many Egyptians were slaves. Is that still a reality? There was a time in the not too distant past, when there were "white" water fountains and "colored" water fountains. Before that out and out slavery. Is that still a reality? What you call a pipe dream is just a dream that one day WILL be a reality. It will take longer as attitudes like yours still exist. But one day as the *non believers* die off, so will their racist attitudes. That's what I'm hoping.

ps...and there's a BIG difference between calling someone a jerk and calling someobe the *N* word. I can hardly believe you tried to make that comparison. The *N* word is a racial slur, *jerk* is a stupid or annoying person.

Guest sara-is-hot
If the people at CBS are not going to reprimand her or kick her off the show, then they should at least not censor her or give us a cleaned image of her. That is not fair. She should not have her cake and eat it to.

I agree with SamtheTVwatchingCat, especially with the argument that CBS is privately owned thus being able to choose (within FCC limit) what is being aired on their channel.  Just like Morty's TV forum can decide who cannot post here or what type of comments cannot be posted here.

Do you think Ivete should be reprimanded for calling Kay Osama but that Kay, Janny, and Howies homophobic comments, jokes, and songs are OK? How is one bad and should be censored but the other OK?

Seems to be a big double standard

OH MY HELL, its a fricken TV show with differing opinions and takes on life, why not just sugar-coat everything and have it spoonfed to you in little antiseptic cups?

Allright, sara-is-hot what is your solution? Should Ivette (or Howie, Janelle, Kaysar) be allowed to continue on her racist rampant without any reprimanding? You think that it is fair that CBS refuses to do anything, andthen adding insult to injury, they don't show Ivette's racism or Howie's Janelle's or Kaysar's on television?

I want to know what Kaysar and Janelle said, how, and to who it was said.

Allright, sara-is-hot what is your solution?  Should Ivette (or Howie, Janelle, Kaysar) be allowed to continue on her racist rampant without any reprimanding?  You think that it is fair that CBS refuses to do anything, andthen adding insult to injury, they don't show Ivette's racism or Howie's Janelle's or Kaysar's on television?

They sing a song they made up that is full of derogatory names for gay people. And while I find Ivette's comments extremely distasteful, I find the song distasteful as well. I think gay people watching the feeds would be just as easily offended by the words in that song as an Arab would be offended by Ivette's comments. I think what the poster is trying to point out is that there is selective outrage based on whether you like a HG or not.

Guest Bourbon
Bourbon Said:  Your naivety is hardly surprising.  Hope is the banner of the unrealistic.  It would be very nice to have a world free of bigotry, but that is a pipe-dream at best. 

What you call naivety others call hope. There was a time many Egyptians were slaves. Is that still a reality? There was a time in the not too distant past, when there were "white" water fountains and "colored" water fountains. Before that out and out slavery. Is that still a reality? What you call a pipe dream is just a dream that one day WILL be a reality. It will take longer as attitudes like yours still exist. But one day as the *non believers* die off, so will their racist attitudes. That's what I'm hoping.

ps...and there's a BIG difference between calling someone a jerk and calling someobe the *N* word. I can hardly believe you tried to make that comparison. The *N* word is a racial slur, *jerk* is a stupid or annoying person.

Sigh...obviously you missed the point of my posts entirely. Reading comprehension is key here. I'll refrain from picking apart your benighted view of the world however. I just wish i was naive enough to live in a fairytale world :?

Guest sara-is-hot
Allright, sara-is-hot what is your solution?  Should Ivette (or Howie, Janelle, Kaysar) be allowed to continue on her racist rampant without any reprimanding?  You think that it is fair that CBS refuses to do anything, andthen adding insult to injury, they don't show Ivette's racism or Howie's Janelle's or Kaysar's on television?

They sing a song they made up that is full of derogatory names for gay people. And while I find Ivette's comments extremely distasteful, I find the song distasteful as well. I think gay people watching the feeds would be just as easily offended by the words in that song as an Arab would be offended by Ivette's comments. I think what the poster is trying to point out is that there is selective outrage based on whether you like a HG or not.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was never meant to turn into a philosophical and heated discussion.

Yes, it is JUST a game. Why are we getting so worked up about it?

We can not change some peoples views regarding society. However, we can do our best to let others know how WE feel.

This was the entire reason for me wanting to let CBS know of how I feel.

If I am living in an "idealistic" and "sugar-coated" land, then FINE. I would rather live in a society where people are respected.

Racism should never be respected or tolerated. It is just PLAIN wrong. If one walks around with that attitude that "whatever, it will always exist", then you are also in the wrong.

Change is only possible if somebody tries. That was my only reason behind posting this thread.

If CBS agrees with me, then YAY!

If CBS doesn't agree with me, then OH WELL, at least they got to hear what I have to say.

Guest sara-is-hot

You are right racism is wrong but it is not the only offensive language being used in the house and if CBS addresses any of it they should address all of it.

You are right racism is wrong but it is not the only offensive language being used in the house and if CBS addresses any of it they should address all of it.

I agree....there should be no double standards

but i know for sure that Ivette is definately leading the rascism and hatred in the house