Gary Hogeboom

Guest anotherwatcher

Guest anotherwatcher

Local guy rumoured to be taping Survivor.

Have never watched anyone local on any reality show. Should be fun.

"So is Hogeboom a "Survivor" or isn't he?

"He's on a mission trip in Central America," was the most Hogeboom's son, Jake, would say. "He left in late June ... and he's expected back the first week of August." "

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/bas...ess?SPGS&coll=6

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow!!!!!

Some one from not to far from me IS on Survivor...this will make it even more exciting to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

My family and I met him at an NFL training camp several years back and you couldn't meet a nicer guy! While most of the other players high-tailed it to the dressing rooms, he stayed behind and talked to us and others. He was very real, congenial and humble...you felt like you were conversing with your next-door neighbor.

I really hope he does well even though he probably doesn't stand much of a chance...that is, unless he can somehow stay in the background a bit and they don't know of his NFL history...

Gary Hogeboom

garryhogeboom6cc.jpg

Date Of Birth: August 21, 1958

Hometown: Grand Haven, MI

Marital Status: Married

Biography

Gary Hogeboom is a soon-to-be 47-year-old former NFL quarterback and real estate devloper from Grand Haven, Michigan.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

Does Gary's plan to lie about being an ex NFL player going to work?

I think that in the long run it will hurt him. It did come out last night to his tribe about his past, and he keep up the lie. I think that there is now a bug in the ear of everyone that something is up. Personally I like Gary and he is my favorite besides Steph. But I think he should have told everyone the truth, I don't think they would have voted he off because of that.

Does Gary's plan to lie about being an ex NFL player going to work?

I think that in the long run it will hurt him. It did come out last night to his tribe about his past, and he keep up the lie. I think that there is now a bug in the ear of everyone that something is up. Personally I like Gary and he is my favorite besides Steph. But I think he should have told everyone the truth, I don't think they would have voted he off because of that.

I think you are absolutely right. It was 15 years ago. We all know it will have to come out eventually, and when it does, his honesty comes into question. That could hurt him.

He's a favorite for me, too. I hope he works it out.

I think you are absolutely right. It was 15 years ago. We all know it will have to come out eventually, and when it does, his honesty comes into question. That could hurt him.

He's a favorite for me, too. I hope he works it out.

Yep that was a long time ago. I think that more of his tribe would have really liked that he had an athletic back ground. It would have gave them more confidence in the challenges. Plus he had to know that a least one person on either tribe would know who he is. So happens the other tribe had a sports news talk show host. I hope that it works out for him.

I wasn't too worried for him when he didn't immediately offer up the info that he was an ex-quarterback. BUT...once Danni called him out and his team questioned him, I think it was a BIG mistake not to own up to it. I definitely think it will work against him in the future.

Although...I guess it really depends on when he ends up having to face it again. Maybe Danni will get voted out next week and he won't have to worry about it. Or maybe she'll be so disliked by her team mates that if she and Gary are around at the merge that everyone will believe him if he keeps denying it?? I can't wait to see how it plays out.

I thought he would be able to slough it off with the reply that he intended: "Yea, I get that a lot," and it would have died, letting him not have to deal with the others' indignation until the show was wrapped up, but now I think that Danni IS sure enough of her recognition and he ISN'T good enough at acting to pull it off.

I dont understand why he keeps it a secret. I mean he's a 6 foot skinny as a rail middle aged EX football player, its not like hes a super star in any challenges, whats the big deal? How is that a threat, hes just as much a thread as Lydia

If Danni and him make it to the merge, then this weill definately come back to bite him in the ass. Danni does not seem like the time that who will play dumb when she knows who he is. Expecially when she made it a POINT to tell the other tribe's teammates that they had an ex-NFL player on their team.

It was smart on her part, because if they had believed her this may have put a target on his back as well, and of course she wants the stronger players on that tribe off, it gives her team the advantage then.

I think if Danni is on TV, then she knows what to say to get her point across effectively, and so far she hasn't made any enemies on her team. She is definately athletic (look at those abs, wow) and is an asset when it comes to competitions. It will be interesting to see how far she goes. I personally like her so far, but she hasn't really been featured much, so that is only a first impression assessment.

As far as Gary, it was dumb for him to lie. My thinking is that in this game, you have to somewhat trust others to not vote you out and vote with you as part of an alliance. How can they trust him when he has lied about who he even is. If it comes out that they find out the truth, then he is a target. I say he is a target, because as we have seen in past Survivors, the other people will put a target on those people they think can beat them physically when it comes to individual challenges. And also the lieing thing will haunt him because no matter what he says or tries to justify, he will be seen as a "liar" who can't be trusted. Again, people will say this so that the others will vote out someone other then themselves.

In this game it is all about self-preservation. Gary doesn't seem like an interesting conversationalist, he comes off a bit arrogant, and wants to play the leader very early in the game. If steph gets wind that he wants her off, then she will convince the others who like her from the past season, to vote him off. Or the other players will be tired of him playing self-appointed leader this early in the game. For some reason, in Survivor, the "leaders" get voted off early in the game.

I have noticed Bobby Jon is not "leading" the other team, but I don't think that is a strategy but rather that he neither wants nor knows how to lead, which is good for him at this point in the game. He is meshing in, which is good. He is a likeable guy who is not overbearing. I don't think that is in his personality to be a leader or overbearing. This will definately work for him when it comes to the "mamas" of the group. Once a Mom, always a Mom. We have definately seen this with the nurse and the real estate broker guy. She is mothering him, not because it is strategy, but because she is a mom. Mother's are usually the nurturers of the group, which of course is a natural instinct.

Wow... I am overthinking this, but I just love this game. It is so much more than a bunch of whiners sitting around. These people have to not only evercome the elements, but each other, which as we know is the hardest part of surviving this game.

Aye!I remember Gary's playing days well!

I'm of the mind he's keeping it quiet because he's rather fearing they won't think he needs the money & is already well heeled in life!NFL players make nice $$$$$$$$$$.....especially big teams like Dallas Cowboys.

He does have a certain Herman Munster/Lurch appeal though ye ken?lmko

Ahhh . . . an entire episode of Survivor:Hogieboom without one reference to his former career in the NFL!!!!! :P

I like him a lot more now that he's stopped bringing up the 'fame' he's trying to hide. :rolleyes: It's funny how he seems to gravitate towards leading the team (like calling out the directions for the reward challenge, or being second to try eating the termites), yet seems to have such little sway on who they vote out. Last week it was Brian's choice, this week it was the other young guys. I don't know what to make of that, but I think it works to his advantage that he's able to let others dominate the group from time to time.

And he kicked ass on the immunity challenge. Don't know why I'm so shocked at that :huh:

I like Gary on the show. Seems like a decent guy. However, I think the NFL lie is gonna bite him on the a-- later on. I understand why he did it, but at the same time, I suppose it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I suppose I'd rather them underestimate me and perhaps find out later than think I'm a huge threat early on.

Wow, and real estate developer. Guessing this guy isn't there for the money, so I think he may be satisfied to see how he can last on Survivor, and if he makes it to jury, than unless someone screwed him over in a personal way, he won't be all pissed that he isn't in the final two and can't win the million.

Being a real-estate devloper, even without being an ex-nfl guy, shows he may be "set".

But, I have never thought this show was about who NEEDED the money, but who is the best player. That is what I love about this show. Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast.

I am thinking that is he makes it to merge, that Danni isn't the only one to confirm his ex-football status, she may mention it and the other males (and females) on HER team will remember/recognize him.

For that I think he won't last too long then, why, because if someone starts a vote-out target, for any reason,, and that person ISN'T you, then usually they all jump on the bandwagon. At the individual game its everyone for himself!

Wow, and real estate developer. Guessing this guy isn't there for the money, so I think he may be satisfied to see how he can last on Survivor, and if he makes it to jury, than unless someone screwed him over in a personal way, he won't be all pissed that he isn't in the final two and can't win the million.

Being a real-estate devloper, even without being an ex-nfl guy, shows he may be "set".

But, I have never thought this show was about who NEEDED the money, but who is the best player. That is what I love about this show. Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast.

I am thinking that is he makes it to merge, that Danni isn't the only one to confirm his ex-football status, she may mention it and the other males (and females) on HER team will remember/recognize him.

For that I think he won't last too long then, why, because if someone starts a vote-out target, for any reason,, and that person ISN'T you, then usually they all jump on the bandwagon. At the individual game its everyone for himself!

:lol:

Don't know why he denied it; he's not a football player now. I think he's in it to see how far he gets. I'm a huge fan of Tom, the NY firefighter, and was delighted that he won. Guess Danni reminds me of Tom....

I am not a sports fan but I found this about Gary's football career...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/HogeGa00.htm

And I live in West Michigan and being a Real estate developer in this part of the country does not mean you have money. Here is a site I found concerning Grand Haven.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Haven-Michigan.html

I have mixed feeling about Gary not telling about his football career. He obviously was not majorly famous and I don't see where it would affect him, but his lying about it could make others see him as not trustworthy. I am rooting for him because he is from near me but I don't know if I really like him...lol...Did that make sense?

Anyway enjoy the Grand Haven web site and welcome to my part of the world. B)