Episode 6.09: Ab Aeterno (Richard-centric!)

Dade

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Episode 6.09: Title Unknown

Airdate: Winter 2010

• 11/14 - Isabelle: Latina, 30s, fluent in Spanish. Strong sense of self and adores her husband. Devout Catholic who is battling a long-term illness. Father Suarez: Latino, 50s to 60s, fluent in Spanish. A well educated, old school Catholic priest who is stern and has an inflexible opinion of right and wrong. Jonas Whitfield: Early to mid 30s; English; must speak with authentic accent. He's crisp and his bearing is of a British military officer. Athletic and agile, he's worked hard to rise up the corporate ladder and make something of himself. He believes in survival of the fittest. Doctor: Latino, 40s-50s, fluent in Spanish. Sophisticated, wealthy, and a somewhat mercenary upper-class doctor who has an imperious bedside manner but knows his stuff. Ignacio: Latino, 30s, fluent in Spanish. Poor, religious and street smart. On the wrong side of the law but only because he's a victim of his circumstances. Source: Lost Spoilers

• 1 month later...

Ab Aeterno is a Latin word meaning

• 2 months later...

:hurray: Nestor Carbonell gave a tour de force performance! Wow. Totally believable.:hurray:

This episode was unlike any other LOST episode and I absolutely LOVED it. Well, most of it.

We now know how Richard/Ricardo/Ricardus got his "gift" of eternal life.

We now know that Jacob is basically a bored jailer to MIB's evil prisoner (aka "darkness, malevolence, evil"). I use the term bored because he keeps on bringing people to the island to try and prove something to MIB. That people are basically "good" to MIB's premise that people are basically "corrupt". It's like he is stuck on this island to guard MIB for eternity (was he appointed?) and so he has this running dialogue with MIB- kind of a deadly game, if you will. He knows MIB wants to kill him but he keeps bringing people to the island to prove a point, KNOWING that this increases the risk that MIB will find someone to kill him.

The island is a "cork"- basically a magical jail that keeps MIB imprisoned...as long as Jacob or another chosen candidate is alive to keep him there. If MIB gets free he will infect the rest of the world with total evil- just as Sayid was infected?

That the MIB is really, really, really sneaky and underhanded. But what about Jacob? I'm still not sure that he is totally "good"...maybe a better term would be "self-serving"?

We now know how the Black Rock made it to the middle of the island and how the statue was broken. Not crazy about this somewhat bland revelation.

Questions I still have are:

1. Jacob told Richard that it wasn't his wife that he saw in the Black Rock. So if it was MIB, how come we heard the smoke monster outside the Black Rock before she was supposedly "taken"? Can MIB make the Smokey sounds while impersonating a dead someone else?

2. MIB gave the same instructions to Richard on how to kill Jacob that Dogen gave Sayid on how to kill MIB/fake Locke- and with the exact same dagger! What the...? :animated_scratchchin:

3. If Jacob can give the gift of eternal life, why doesn't HE have eternal life?? And, because Jacob is "dead", does this mean that Richard lost his "gift" and can now be killed- or, at the very least, will age?

4. Does anyone love Hurley as much as I do?

5. How many LOST fanatics do you think will now name their first born daughter Isabella?

What is your take on this episode, Jedi?

My thoughts are still very disjointed about it, so bear with me, please.

Overall, it made me a little sad they the writers felt they had to rush things like this because LOST is finishing this season instead of next year, as originally planned.

Instead of the usual multitude of storylines intersecting and running concurrently throughout the episode while showing links between the present and the past (which kind of reminds me of the excellent film "Slumdog Millionaire" now that I think about it, all of a sudden), this one was all Richard. Normally, I'd say that a viewer tuning in to the show for the first time would be a little bored and unlikely to tune in the following week, but at this point in LOST's life, it doesn't matter anyway.

It was nice to finally get the puzzle pieces about the Black Rock and how it got there, as well as who all the skeletons belonged to.

I liked how they justified Ricardo's strong belief that the island was actually Hell.

I'd like to get more info on "the French woman" Danielle, and her story. (Although I think we may have seen some of that at some point, and I just can't retrieve the memories.)

I remember wondering at the start of the episode whether Jacob's touch of the Oceanic 815 candidates meant that they would also be immortal, but how it was Ricardo's wish (after his first 2 desires were denied by Jacob) that was being granted. Although that does not entirely rule out the possibility, it does diminish it somewhat.

Also, there HAS to be a way to kill Richard. There just HAS to!

How are you supposed to sneak up on someone and stab them before they even speak, when you're on a beach? Unless you have some kind of cover, this is pretty near impossible unless you're a professionally-trained ninja or veteran Navy Seal. Even then, it doesn't seem to be important what the person says before you stab them. That part is a little far-fetched. I'm going to have to stop by a dagger store and start practicing, in case I ever find myself on an island.

I would like to see more Miles. I fell an as-yet-untapped potential there somewhere.

How are you supposed to sneak up on someone and stab them before they even speak, when you're on a beach? Unless you have some kind of cover, this is pretty near impossible unless you're a professionally-trained ninja or veteran Navy Seal. Even then, it doesn't seem to be important what the person says before you stab them. That part is a little far-fetched. I'm going to have to stop by a dagger store and start practicing, in case I ever find myself on an island.

:animated_rotfl: