So You Think You Can Dance

Dade

So You Think You Can Dance starts September 9 at 8/7c on FOX

While the other networks are carrying the coverage of Address to a Joint Session of Congress, FOX will be showing the premiere of Season 6.

Courtesy of: THE FUTON CRITIC

NEW FALL SEASON OF "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" KICKS OFF WITH AUDITIONS WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, ON FOX

Released by FOX

[09.03.09 - 10:41 AM]

Audition Cities Include Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Phoenix and Salt Lake City

Las Vegas Call-Back Episodes Begin Wednesday, October 7

Top 20 Dancers Revealed on Wednesday, October 21

After a spectacular summer season, television's hottest dance competition series, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, makes its fall debut when it returns for an all-new sixth season Wednesday, Sept. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. Hosted by Cat Deeley, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE continues to amaze viewers as dancers skilled in everything from Hip-Hop, Krumping and Popping to Salsa, Jookin' and Jive compete to be named America's Favorite Dancer.

For Season Six, judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy will be joined by rotating guest judges as they travel across the country auditioning dancers who represent the rhythm of America. Episodes featuring auditions held in Atlanta, Boston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Phoenix and Salt Lake City will continue to air Wednesday, Sept. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), Wednesday, Sept. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), Tuesday, Sept. 29 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), Wednesday, Sept. 30 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and Tuesday, Oct. 6 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

Talented dancers who spark the judges' interest during these auditions will be invited to Las Vegas for call-backs, which will air Wednesday, Oct. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) and Wednesday, Oct. 14 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT). Then on Wednesday, Oct. 21 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT), the call-back rounds conclude when the judges announce the Top 20 finalists 10 guys and 10 girls who will continue in the competition.

RECAP (All times ET/PT)

Wednesday, Sept. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM) Audition Episode

Wednesday, Sept. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM) Audition Episode

Wednesday, Sept. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM) Audition Episode

Tuesday, Sept. 29 (9:00-10:00 PM) Audition Episode

Wednesday, Sept. 30 (8:00-9:00 PM) Audition Episode

Tuesday, Oct. 6 (9:00-10:00 PM) Audition Episode

Wednesday, Oct. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM) Las Vegas Round

Wednesday, Oct. 14 (8:00-9:00 PM) Las Vegas Round

Wednesday, Oct. 21 (8:00-9:00 PM) Las Vegas Round/Top 20 Chosen

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions. It is executive-produced by Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe and Barry Adelman.

About 19 Entertainment Ltd.

Simon Fuller's 19 Entertainment Ltd. is recognized as a lead creator, provider and promoter of globally successful entertainment and music brands of today. The company has attracted a unique team of exceptionally creative executives, who work together to integrate and leverage activity across television, sports, film, touring, merchandising, music publishing, recording and artist management. 19 Founder/CEO Simon Fuller has developed and managed some of the biggest entertainment properties of our time, with credits that include the creation of TV phenomenon AMERICAN IDOL, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and the HBO series "Little Britain USA." 19's unique talent includes musical icon Annie Lennox; country music sensation Carrie Underwood; pop group sensation Spice Girls; IDOL alumni Chris Daughtry, David Cook, Kris Allen, Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta; supermodel Claudia Schiffer; soccer icon David Beckham; and world tennis No. 2 Andy Murray.

About dick clark productions

Since its inception in 1957, dick clark productions (dcp) has been a leading independent producer of television programming. dcp produces perennial hits such as "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest," "American Music Awards," "Golden Globe Awards" and "Academy of Country Music Awards." dcp also produces popular weekly television programming, including SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, and owns and maintains one of the world's most unique and extensive entertainment libraries, which includes more than 30 years of "American Bandstand" footage.

I'm very excited about this, I have already put in my request for show tickets! I just started watching this show last season so I'm really excited to see if there will be a winner that I actually like this season. lol I'm still pretty bitter about Kayla coming in 4th.

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: THE FUTON CRITIC

ADAM SHANKMAN JOINS MARY MURPHY AND NIGEL LYTHGOE AS NEW JUDGE ON "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE"

Released by FOX

[09.16.09 - 07:24 AM]

HOT FROM FOX...

ADAM SHANKMAN JOINS MARY MURPHY AND NIGEL LYTHGOE AS NEW JUDGE ON "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE"

Acclaimed producer, director and choreographer Adam Shankman has joined SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE as a third judge. Shankman, who has been a guest judge and choreographer on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE since 2007, will sit alongside Mary Murphy and Nigel Lythgoe and draw upon his expertise to critique the dancers throughout the competition.

The all-new fall season of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE airs Tuesdays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Wednesdays (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. Shankman, who serves as a guest judge on this season's audition episodes, will join the judges' panel beginning with the Top 20 performance show Tuesday, Oct. 27 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE is one of the most important things to happen in the last decade for the art form," said Shankman. "Choreography is how I found my way into this business, and I'm proud to be a part of the show. As a filmmaker, it's an honor to be able to recognize choreographers and dancers, and to be able to bring all of this amazing work into America's homes. These kids challenge themselves every week, and it's great for people to see how terrific these dancers are."

"I am extremely happy that Adam has agreed to be a resident judge," said Nigel Lythgoe, Executive Producer/Co-Creator, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. "We love bantering and bickering, and yet he still finds a way of capturing the sensitivity of every story told on stage. He is a consummate professional with a passion for dance and a discerning eye, which makes him perfect for us. Plus, it must be remembered, it takes a slightly crazy person to work with me and Mary."

Adam Shankman is a master of comedy and one of the most loved and commercially successful filmmakers of his generation. His recent credits include "Bedtime Stories" starring Adam Sandler and Keri Russell, "17 Again" starring Zac Efron and "Hairspray," the feature film adaptation of the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical. Shankman also directed the hit viral video "Prop 8: The Musical" for FunnyorDie.com, which was honored by GLAAD and has been viewed over 4 million times.

Shankman's directorial debut was "The Wedding Planner" starring Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey. He followed that project with "A Walk to Remember" starring Mandy Moore and Shane West and "Bringing Down the House" with Steve Martin and Queen Latifah. His other credits include "The Pacifier" starring Vin Diesel, "Step Up," "Step Up 2" and "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock. Shankman's upcoming films include "Step Up 3-D," "Going The Distance" starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long and "The Last Song" starring Miley Cyrus.

Prior to directing, Shankman was one of the premiere dance and physical comedy choreographers who put his creative stamp on such projects as "The Addams Family," "Casper," "Inspector Gadget," "Anastasia," "George of the Jungle," "Boogie Nights," "Miami Rhapsody" and "The Flintstones," for which he was nominated for a Bob Fosse Award. Shankman teamed up with influential video director Julian Temple to choreograph Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight." He has also choreographed videos for The B-52's, Barry White, Aaron Neville, Chic and Stevie Wonder.

A native of Los Angeles, Shankman developed a love for the theater at an early age. After high school, he moved to New York to attend The Juilliard School. After five years as an actor and dancer in New York, he moved back to his hometown and began dancing in music videos for artists such as Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions. It is executive-produced by Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe and Barry Adelman.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this column on the TV Squad web site but I can't confirm it with a second source yet. I'll try to keep my eyes open.

TV_Paige

tv-squad-logo_40x49.jpg

Is Mia Michaels Quitting 'SYTYCD'?

by Michael Pascua, TV Squad

mia_michaels.jpg

Mia Michaels

"So You Think You Can Dance" may never be the same again. In all-capitalized Twitter messages, Mia Michaels has announced that she is quitting. The last of the three messages read:

"THANKS SYTYCD AND LOOK FORWARD TO WHATS AHEAD FOR ME...LOOKOUT WORLD!!!!!"

It's really weird seeing that Mia has been not only an anchor for the choreographers and judges, but she has been so enthusiastic about season six being on of the best seasons. She has also left a message on her Facebook account with similar sentiments.

Mia Michaels wasn't the same strict choreographer last night in Vegas' callbacks. She was calm and organic with her teaching.

SYTYCDJudges.jpg

'So You Think You Can Dance' Judges applaud contestant's dance

performance. The judges panel includes: (L-R) Nigel Lythgoe, Mary

Murphy and Mia Michaels

There hasn't been any official statements from Fox or Nigel Lythgoe yet, but Twitter feeds and Facebook posts these days are almost enough for full credibility. I can't help but think that this is related to the news of Adam Shankman being the permanent third judge on SYTYCD. I'm probably just rumor mongering, but it seems like weird timing that she was involved in casting for season six, then dropping out.

While I'm going to miss Mia Michaels, I'm hoping that a break from 'SYTYCD' will sharpen her choreography which was amazing a few seasons ago, she peaked at season three. After that, they have gotten less and less impressive.

The final two women's performance last year was actually just a rehash of a final two men's performance back in season three. This leaves open spots for more contemporary pieces from Mandy Moore, Stacey Tookey, Travis Wall and my personal favorite Sonya Tayeh.

Wow, I'll miss Mia. She was my favorite judge. Harsh. . . yes, but never gushing ooey gooey over an obvious favorite like Nigel & Mary do every season.

No judge I've seen so far on this show has come close to being as critical and expectant of the dancers as Mia.

This news sucks.

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance: Cast Upset Over Mia Michaels Departure

October 20, 2009 11:00:13 by Britteny Elrick

Last week, renowned choreographer Mia Michaels announced that she was leaving the cast of So You Think You Can Dance. Her fellow cast members recently spoke to Usmagazine.com at the Professional Dancers Society Fabulous Fall Ball in Studio City about how saddened they are to have her gone

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance: Top 20 Revealed

October 21, 2009 07:00:19 by Lisa Princ

So You Think You Can Dance on FOX revealed your top 20 contestants tonight. During an evening filled with surprises and history in the making, would your favorites move on? Or would they face the same fate that so many have seen on this journey and end up heading home?

Well, it was history in the making tonight on So You Think You Can Dance on FOX. The night started off on that note with the very first top 20 pick. Nathan, made history tonight by becoming the youngest top 20 contestant in the show

Courtesy of; THE FUTON CRITIC

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" FINALIST BILLY BELL LEAVES COMPETITION DUE TO ILLNESS

Released by FOX

[10.26.09 - 01:40 PM]

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOT FROM FOX...

"SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE" FINALIST BILLY BELL LEAVES COMPETITION DUE TO ILLNESS

Brandon Dumlao Joins Top 20

Top 20 dancer Billy Bell has left SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE due to illness and will be replaced by Brandon Dumlao, 21, a Hip Hop dancer from Concord, CA. Dumlao will join the Top 20 this week as they compete on the first two-hour performance show Tuesday, Oct. 27 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

"We are disappointed that Billy cannot continue dancing in the competition on the advice of his doctor and wish him a speedy recovery," said executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe. "However, we are fortunate that Brandon Dumlao has agreed to return."

Dumlao joins previously announced finalists Phillip Attmore, Channing Cooke, Ariana Debose, Ashleigh Di Lello, Ryan Di Lello, Russell Ferguson, Mollee Gray, Karen Hauer, Kevin Hunte, Jakob Karr, Noelle Marsh, Pauline Mata, Kathryn McCormick, Legacy Perez, Bianca Revels, Peter Sabasino, Ellenore Scott, Victor Smalley and Nathan Trasoras as they compete to become Americas Favorite Dancer.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions. The series is executive-produced by Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe and Barry Adelman.

Courtesy of; THE FUTON CRITIC

Released by FOX

[10.26.09 - 01:40 PM]

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOT FROM FOX...

Brandon Dumlao Joins Top 20

Top 20 dancer Billy Bell has left SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE due to illness and will be replaced by Brandon Dumlao, 21, a Hip Hop dancer from Concord, CA. Dumlao will join the Top 20 this week as they compete on the first two-hour performance show Tuesday, Oct. 27 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

"We are disappointed that Billy cannot continue dancing in the competition on the advice of his doctor and wish him a speedy recovery," said executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe. "However, we are fortunate that Brandon Dumlao has agreed to return."

Dumlao joins previously announced finalists Phillip Attmore, Channing Cooke, Ariana Debose, Ashleigh Di Lello, Ryan Di Lello, Russell Ferguson, Mollee Gray, Karen Hauer, Kevin Hunte, Jakob Karr, Noelle Marsh, Pauline Mata, Kathryn McCormick, Legacy Perez, Bianca Revels, Peter Sabasino, Ellenore Scott, Victor Smalley and Nathan Trasoras as they compete to become Americas Favorite Dancer.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions. The series is executive-produced by Simon Fuller, Nigel Lythgoe and Barry Adelman.

I am so sad about this! :( Billy was one of my favorites and I'm really going to miss him in the competition. I am happy that it will be one less contemporary dancer in the top 20 this year, I think we have enough.

Courtesy of; REALITY TV MAGAZINE

So You Think You Can Dance: Mia Michaels Reveals Reason For Leaving

October 30, 2009 09:01:42 by Britteny Elrick

It came as quite a shock when Mia Michaels announced that she was leaving So You Think You Can Dance. Her fellow cast members have recently voiced their sadness over the news. Now Mia is finally speaking out about the reasons behind her departure

^

Thanks so much for posting! It makes me sad to hear that she felt pressured and uninspired on the show, I actually thought she did some amazing pieces last season, but I'm glad that she's able to take some time and do what she wants now. I think she's amazing at what she does.

What do you guys think about the Top 20 so far? I think my favorite couples are Mollee & Nathan, Bianca & Victor and Kathryn & Legacy. They definitely had the best performances of the night on Tuesday. I also really like Russell and Noelle, but I can't say if I like them as a couple until I see them dance together. I heard that she will be returning to the show next week though...very excited about that! :D

These are the rumored dances and choreographers:

Ryan & Ellenore - Argentine Tango - Miriam Larici & Leonardo Barrionuevo

Phillip & Channing - Samba - Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin

Victor & Bianca - Broadway - Tyce Diorio

Peter & Pauline - Jazz - Wade Robson

Legacy & Kathryn - Contemporary - Stacey Tookey

Nathan & Mollee - Bollywood - Nakul Dev Mahajan

Russell & Noelle - Hip Hop - NappyTabs or Jamal Sims

Kevin & Karen - Hip Hop - NappyTabs or Jamal Sims

Jakob & Ashleigh - Viennese Waltz - Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin

I used to really enjoy this show, but I can't stomach it anymore. I can't stand Mary, or Nigel. And so many of the choreographers are also a little full of themselves, IMHO. I have felt, for the past few seasons, that the choreographers are anxiously awaiting for praise from the judges, rather than hoping that their dancers do well.

I really don't mind that they give recognition to the choreographers, but I feel like the judges comment on the routine as much as the dancers. The dancers are who is being judges. They are the ones competing. I don't mind the occasional 'great routine', or even a 'the routine didn't suit you', but the choreographers matter too much, IMHO.

But even with that, I still think I would be watching if not for Mary and her loud cavernous mouth. She is not charming, funny, or endearing. I can't stand her, and she is the reason I no longer watch this show.

• 1 month later...

Is there any reason to watch now without Legacy? Nope. I can't stand husband & wife team Ryan/Ashleigh. It would make me puke if one of them won. I also can't stand Russell. Out of the remaining 6, I hope Jakob wins. He's the best and he deserves it. Also, Kathryn has quietly grown on me. And am I the only one who thinks she's a dead ringer for Rose McGowan?

I think that Ashleigh and Ryan got votes just so people could see them dance together. I agree that Jakob is the best dancer but then when does the best dancer win? This is a popularity contest now so I think its between Jakob and Russell. I'll miss Legacy. I loved watching him.