There Goes the Neighborhood

Slowpoke

I watched the first 5 mins of it. Seemed kind of boring and just another way to make friends/families turn against eachother.

I may try it again next week, but I just picked up watching America's Best Dance Crew, which is on at the same time.

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

There Goes the Neighborhood: Lights Out!

August 9, 2009 07:01:50 by Candace Young

As we watch members of eight families react to seeing 20-foot walls erected outside their homes, host Matt Rogers explains that these people will soon lose their electricity as well, as they begin competing to win $250,000 on CBS

hmm... that's messing with people's / families lives a little TOO MUCH.

Not too worried about the grown-ups... but teens are going thru tough enough years as it is ...

and the younger ones might carry memories of the experience for many years to come.

I wouldn't want to bet that the grown-ups will say .... "Hey kids, wasn't that fun?

Let's plan a big party for when all those FRIENDS that wanted to get rid of us get out?"

A NEW LOW for Reality TV messing with people's lives

Yeah...this show is not really sitting all that well with me. It might be different if kids weren't involved but I still am not sure...it's messing with peoples lives and relationships they built over the years. It's too hard on kids to understand it's only a game...they don't get why their family is being picked to leave or why they have to pick friends of theirs to leave...it's just too much. And, seriously, even though it is a game, how many of these relationships are going to go right back to normal? People hold grudges, feelings get hurt and then you need to explain to the kids why they can't hang out with their friends like they did before the show. I think the whole concept of this show sucks.

Reality shows have been on for over 15 years now. They knew what they were getting into before they signed on the dotted line. Greed runs both ways... from the people at the networks to the families in the neighborhood.

I watched it last night. Yes, the adults in the families know what they're getting into but the kids really don't and its obvious from the first show that this is really hard for them. I'll watch another before I decide if I want to see the reat of the season.

I haven't watched it yet, I DVR'd the first episode, but I'm only going to watch for the location factor. It was filmed in Kennesaw, GA and I used to live down the street from that neighborhood! :animated_bouncy: Actually, it's a huge neighborhood of smaller neighborhoods. If I remember correctly, there were four or five different "neighborhoods" within the neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the previews for the show. I just decided no this is not for me, because of the children being involved.

Just what we need another reality show like this one makes me sick...Did they learn nothing forom John and Kate Plus 8.

I am praying that this show dies a happy death real soon.

I thought the premise was horrible (because of children involvement) so I never turned this one on... and never will but, I happen to catch a promo for it the other night while watching BB and it pissed me off. The ad said something about families torn apart because BFF's turn on the other. WTF kind of lessons are these parents teaching these kids. :disgust:

I've been watching the show. I'm not sure that the kids are all adversely affected but some obviously are. Examples- The family who left last week told their kids in advance that they would probably be leaving for a new adventure, showed them where the door in the wall was and how it opened (lights go off, cogs turn) so that when they actually did leave, the kids (young ones) thought it was just fine. The opposite is one of the girls (a teenager) who is visibly upset because its her family that's been winning and therefore choosing the families up for elimination. These families are ones she's known forever and have kids she's close to. On the third hand, her brother keeps saying its a game and don't let emotions enter into it. This show will absolutely change the neighborhood dynamic where 5 of the families called themselves "the core" and the other three felt they weren't accepted. Now 2 of each group are gone so I'll bet "the core"will never be as close as they had been. Mainly, though, the show is boring, the host is boring, the competitions are lame and any resemblance to a sociological experiment in relationships is just not evident.

Thank you for the observations Oleander... sounds like it's not as terrible as I had imagined. (Confirms this one wasn't for me though.)

I know I wouldn't like to be stuck in there like that!!

That would be one time I wouldn't mind losing and end up in a air-conditioned hotel with room service :)

I want to see a follow up show in a few months after it is over to see how they get along now after they had to turn on each other!!!