New fourth judge?

Dade

Courtesy of: REALITYBLURRED

Paula Abdul will be replaced after female pop stars, including Katy Perry and Victoria Beckham, guest judge Idol 9 auditions

August 6, 2009, 10:04 AM

Paula Abdul will likely be replaced by a new fourth judge during the upcoming American Idol 9 season, after female guest judges including Katy Perry and Victoria Beckham judge the audition callbacks, which begin tomorrow.

Nooo!!! No fourth judge, that's just stupid. It was stupid last season when they brought in Kara, and it's even more stupid if you do it again just to fill the gap with no Paula. It's a dumb idea because time always runs short. I thought it might be a relief with Paula gone...less talking. What a let down if they do end up bringing someone else in.

Nooo!!! No fourth judge, that's just stupid. It was stupid last season when they brought in Kara, and it's even more stupid if you do it again just to fill the gap with no Paula. It's a dumb idea because time always runs short. I thought it might be a relief with Paula gone...less talking. What a let down if they do end up bringing someone else in.

I so agree! They all talk too much on that show and I seldom listen to what they have to say, anyway. The show is draggy enough. No 4th judge.....please.

i agree with elle . i dont get why they are so gun ho to have 4 judges. last season proved it doesnt work . it reminds me of when something isnt broken but they are trying to fix it.

When it becomes more about the judges than the contestants then something is wrong. You can pretty much predict what they are going to say, anyway. Four of them? No. Actually, something is bad wrong when Adam Lambert didn't win. That's their big problem. I adore Chris but really, now.

• 4 weeks later...

aka89c.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres is dancing her way into the fourth judge's seat on "American Idol."

Fox announced Wednesday the talk show host and comedian, who admittedly has no formal music experience, just a passion for tunes, would join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi for the ninth season. The announcement all but seals the departure of Paula Abdul, the original third judge who announced she was quitting amid a contract dispute in July.

The announcement came as a shock to many of the popular singing competition's fans, who did not expect the Emmy-winning talk show host to fill Abdul's spot. DeGeneres told her talk show audience in an episode scheduled to air Thursday that she had been "dying to tell everyone" and would not abandon her chatfest. Instead, she will have "a day job and a night job."

"The times we're living in," she quipped, "we're all doing that."

Abdul had been replaced by a succession of guest judges across the country as "Idol" started next season's auditions. Among them: Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain

I think this is a disaster. I saw her a few times on DWTS and she brought nothing to the position except weak humor, as if almost to promote only herself. I do not believe her background will bring insight and knowledgeabe critique to the show.

I don't really know how I feel about this. I really like Ellen and everything but she was an awful judge on SYTYCD! She seemed awkward and she didn't know anything about dancing so she had nothing interesting to say....I hope this doesn't turn out like that.

When Ellen co-hosted on 'So you think you can dance' she was very brief. She doesn't know jack about music or dancing but to say "I liked that" and just guessing that she will be another Paula in always saying it was good no matter how much it sucked. jmho

I like Ellen but a little goes a long way and I wonder at her getting so much tv exposure. She can be so funny but don't think it will work if it becomes about her being funny first and the contestants second. If that makes sense. She is pretty savvy and excels with putting people at ease so it will probably be fine. I guess you make the $$ when you can in hollywood, DAWG :gossip: !

I love Ellen, I think she's great.. that doesn't mean she'd be great on this show though. I'd actually be very surprised if she was any good at all.

I think the show itself will lose a lot of it's "credibility" now. What would a comedian know about singing? I guess she can speak from a fan perpective, though I suspect she'll be cracking more one liners than giving actual input.

I think it's going to bomb. Plain and simple.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the early rounds they are mostly just a bunch of people who can't sing. I only watch the finals. American Got Talent seems to be a much more interesting and fun show than A.I.

Reply to Iris: Contestants may want see lousy singers get their 15 of fame but my point why do people want to watch people with no talent get their 15 minutes of fame? Ok I might want to see bikini girl but thats an exception.

For some of them it's about their 15 minutes of fame. Bikini girl and the one last year who thought she was "all that" are examples.

Looking forward to Ellen being a judge!

• 3 months later...

no clue why we need 4 judges

what was broken with just having three?

4 judges = 4 contracts

rush critiques