Pope John Paul II

Jem

Guest Anonymous

I studied latin years ago -- but I have very little confidence that I'll understand any of it. I will be trying -- but it means no sleep tonight at all -- and I don't have much confidence that I'll make it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ranster627

By the way Spooky ... watched CBC National News tonight ... they will be rerunning the mass at 9:00 am EST ...

Just in case you thought it would be later ...

:wink:

Guest Anonymous

Yes I saw that -- thank goodness! But I've opted to go into the office tomorrow and try to catch up on things there. So I'll be trying to pull a few tricks to stay awake all night (nothing new I suffer insomnia anyway) and then work tomorrow -- maybe even sleep in on Saturday! lol

Guest ranster627

I have to do this all over again on Saturday as CNN starts coverage of the Charles/Camilla wedding at 6am with Anderson Cooper ... I am a glutton for punishment!

Glad you got that post though, actually got up out of bed to be sure you knew!

Guest Anonymous

Thats very sweet -- thank you Ranster. :D

I'm not all that interested in watching the wedding. Suffice that it will be done. lol

Ok so I set my alarm for 3:55am and I managed to stay awake for the majority of the mass. I maybe dozed off for about 10 minutes. I was watching NBC and they had a translator which was nice. I studied latin for a couple years but I hardly remember anything. I have been to many masses that were done in latin as well. I'm really glad I didn't sleep through it and miss it.

Guest Anonymous

I managed about half of it. It was very late (early) here!

However, one bit of news I'm not sure anyone saw was the release yesterday of his will. Although the pope had no 'earthly possessions' he left a will that was made public yesterday. Excerpts of the will can be found at

http://www.cbc.ca/news/obit/pope/will.html

It

Guest ranster627

Thanks for that Spooky, all I had yesterday were some references and resolutions to some key questions ...

The Funeral will be rerun on CNN in primetime 7-11 pm EST TONIGHT.

I have a very "full" feeling ... steeped in tradition, the funeral was an event of historic proportions as evidenced by the huge crowds, and large television audience.

The Littany of the Saints always moves me, and I was impressed when the crowd broke into spontaneous applause when the Pope's casket was turned towards them.

I wish I had something profound to add, but I think these events are best left to people's inner interpretations. Hopefully one common element for all will be a sense of closure ...

And so, after this long good-bye, we begin anew with the Conclave to begin on April 18th. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

It was heart-warming to see the representatives of so many faiths other than Catholic. Honouring a good man crosses all boarders.

I just watched CNN's evening coverage of this morning's funeral service.

300,000 men, women and children in rapt and reverent attention in St. Peter's Square.

I doubt if any of us will see anything like this again in our lifetime.

Guest ranster627
I just watched CNN's evening coverage of this morning's funeral service.

300,000 men, women and children in rapt and reverent attention in St. Peter's Square.

I doubt if any of us will see anything like this again in our lifetime.

Yes it was very moving and very beautiful ... rich with history and tradition ... yet the symbolism of the plain casket brought me to tears!

A humble man laid to rest!

Guest Anonymous

There was one moment (well one very long moment) that actually made me laugh a little. This morning at work several of us watched the funeral again. During the Litany of Saints (the long long long list where they ask each saint to 'pray for us') I remembered attending a Requiem Mass as a child for someone who was close to my family. (I was very young) I remember the long struggle to remain standing during that Litany that took what seemed like days to the little girl I was. Listening today to that Litany again, I was reminded of a very sweet moment when my mother after having admonished me for the dozenth time to stop figiting, finally reached into her purse and handed me a peppermint. For years I thought of the Litany as a cue to get another peppermint. You see, my parents, extremely devout Catholics followed the rules of church to the fullest extent. And giving me that peppermint caused my mother to have to spend an extra 15 minutes in confession. I did stay still for the rest of the long list though!

Guest Anonymous

Yes me too. My parents are both gone now -- remember little moments like that make me remember what it was like to have them here with me.

Even the children that the cameras were catching in the crowd today seemed to realize the importance of what was going on.

It was like they knew children were special to him.

I hope some of you caught the one clip they've shown a few times of the child that was standing next to him on some steps.... and he wrapped his robe around him and played a sort of peek-a-boo with him.

Guest ranster627

Yes, that was legendary, and very telling of the man!

They have also been running updates on the baby the Pope was holding when he was shot ... turns out she is pregnant today and was expecting on April 2nd ...

My favourite memory was of him on the balcony responding to the masses, "JP2 loves you too!" ...

Guest ranster627
I have a question -- actually two.  During the funeral mass there was a book laying on the pope's casket.  Does anyone know what that was and did anyone hear why the book was off-centered on the casket? (almost looked like it was falling off)

It was the Testament I believe ... it is tradition to have that book on the casket and allow it to blow in the wind. It started out centered and open. It was a lovely image watching the pages blowing in the wind!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ranster. I didn't hear any reference to it so I was was curious.

The whole scene was really quite beautiful.

pope_funeral_7425957.jpg

Guest ranster627

That really drives home the simplicity of the man (casket and book) juxtaposed with the ornateness of the surroundings! Great pic!

Guest Anonymous

It really does strike the eye doesn't it? All this splendor surrounding the simple casket. The funeral really showed the humble spirit of the man.

I just found this

A stiff wind ruffled a tapestry hanging from the basilica's entrance, blew shut a copy of the Gospel that had been placed on the pope's casket, and whipped about cardinals' red vestments. Ratzinger led a traditional Catholic funeral Mass, in Latin, with a homily in Italian and readings in Spanish and English. Throughout the solemn service, the casket rested on an Oriental rug in front of the altar; at the close of the liturgy, Ratzinger sprinkled it with holy water.

It was in some text on:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/ar..._bids_farewell/

• 3 months later...
Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

THE POPE AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM: and it's like a papal page-turner," says CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler. "It's a very exciting story. He's a great character." Pope John Paul II, born Karol Wojtyla, will be played by Cary Elwes